Brilliant Weekend

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"We have just returned from a murder mystery weekend at the Elgin Hotel,We almost cancelled after reading some negative reviews but we are glad we did not we had an absolutely brilliant time ,the food staff and service-were brilliant we would recommend the Elgin hotel to anyone. Thank you Elgin Hotel we will be back. Mr and Mrs Marshall HALIFAX"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of March 2008

Ann and Paul Caddy.

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"Just returned from short break weekend at the Elgin and must say don't take too much notice of negative reviews on this site they must have gone to a different Elgin hotel, The food was great ,the service was brilliant and the bedroom even though a bit on the small side(your only in it to sleep!!) was very clean and tidy and kept so by the cleaners. Entertainment was first class with the usual bingo and quiz thrown in, one night even done by a julian clary soundalike,the only down side was the rain and strong winds - but then again what can you expect from Blackpool in January,February, March,April May, June .........."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2008

good weekend break

Reviewed Tue 1st of January 2013

"We have just returned from a weekend stay at the elgin. When i read some of the reviews i was a bit wary but when we got there everything was fine.
The food was excellent with plenty of choice.
The rooms were a little dated but we stayed in the part of the hotel that hadn't been refurbished yet.
Would definetly return."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of January 2008

Nice place to stay

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"I went on a last minute booking having been let down. The food in the evening is excellent, the breakfast could use a bit of work though, the orange juice needs to be colder.

Evening entertainment is the standard bingo and cabaret with a quiz at half-time. The atmostphere is friendly and relaxed and fun. The location is close enough to Blackpool to walk though the bus/tram is easier. Parking as in most hotels in B/pool is difficult the Elgin has limited spaces. The room I had was clean and warm, the maid service good as was the bar and restaurant service.

Only critisism I have is the lack of a proper shower."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of December 2007

Do You Fancy A Meal Worse Than School Dinners?

Reviewed Sun 30th of December 2012

"Booked the elgin hotel through a tour company which were very good, good coach and excellent guide on the coach.When we got our keys at 2pm, our cases were waiting for us outside our room, ensuite did not have a shower, stains on bedroom carpet and underneath the bed looked as though it had not been hoovered for months. Complained about the room, got offered another one which stunk of foist and the outlook was dreadful, so we stuck to our original as they said the hotel was full and did not have any more rooms, we had to ask for a jug to wash our hair as there was no shower head! 1960s style decor, but our room was warm, the beds rocked from side to side and we nearly fell off twice. The meals were dreadful, with a capital D. First night we had plaice, it was raw and full of water and was mushy, no fresh veg, just tinned potatoes and frozen roasts. Frozen cabbage and carrots, it was so bad I thought I was going to be sick, totally unedible, second night we had curry.Have you ever had a curry served as a chicken leg, with its skin on and tiny bit of curry sauce, the type you get at a fish and chip shop, served with cress and a parsnip? You havent? Well go to the Elgin, its good for a laugh!! My friend and I dare not complain about the food just incase they did something horrible to it to make it worse, could it be worse??? We booked this hotel because the tour operator offered a murder mystery evening, which we quite fancied, it was good, and was an enjoyable evening.We paid £99 for a 2 night stay half board including travel, it was not worth it all as the food was worse than school dinners, you would seriously get better food in prison, im not joking you would. I decided to order cheese and biscuits as I thought that they could not mess that up, the waitress had litterally put the cheeseboard on the table, when she came back and said,' have you done with the cheeseboard' it had only been on the table for 30 seconds. We overheard other guests complaining between themselves about the terrible food. If you are a vegetarian, then the only thing on the menu for 2 evening dinners and a sunday lunch was fish, so the only thing you can eat there all weekend is fish, they offer no cheese flans or vetarian dishes of any discription. I would not recommed this hotel to anyone, dont go!!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

First time in Blackpool

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"My sister and I thought that it would be nice to do something special for our mum's 50th birthday so we booked a Blackpool Illuminations Tour through our local newspaper as none of us had ever been before and thought it would be a good idea. On arrival at the Hotel we had no time to freshen up for dinner as it is served at 6 o clock and we were only just arriving, so it was a case of drop bags off in room and get down to restaurant for dinner. The starters were already laid out on the table for us. The rest of the meal was a bit rushed, as if they couldn't get rid of us quickly enough. However, the meal was lovely. Breakfast was a bit rushed too, but lovely. Chciken Curry for dinner on the Saturday night, this consisted of a breast of chicken, coated with curry sauce, however, the skin was still on the chicken so when you peeled off the skin you took the sauce off too. Breakfast on Sunday was fine and we dined out on Sunday night as didn't fancy anything on the menu. Breakfast on Monday was fine. The rooms were ok, maid service was very good and we were supplied with fresh towels every day. A bit far out of Blackpool centre itself however it is only 5 minutes by tram."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of September 2007

Ok for the 65s - 100's ~Club

Reviewed Mon 31st of December 2012

"We travelled with "Elgin tours" for a 4 day tour, via Ulsterbus from Belfast to Blackpool on 10 September 2007.

At the bus depot we should have quessed. There were "zimmers" everywhere. The bus driver clearly had gotten out of bed on the wrong side and was being quite abrupt when loading on the luggage/zimmers. Later on the tour he also kept changing and rearanging the allocated times for the mini tours as had been given by Nigel from Elgin tours. Found this a bit disconcerting.

The trip to Blackpool was uneventful except for the great discomfort of the seats on the coach, and the bumps and corners - not what I would call luxury in any respect. We arrived at the hotel late afternoon and were allocated to our rooms.

I think using the word "room" was stretching it a bit. I would describe it as a small box room. It had been redecorated but was cramped - the bed was very very tiny and the doors and floors creaked. We were on the 2nd floor.

The bathroom space was a joke. You couldnt swing a "kitten" in it never mind a cat! The shower cubicle was about 2' X 2' which meant you couldnt bend down to get washed. I shudder to think what the "more elderly" residents" did for a wash. I did hear one resident comment that they would be glad to get back home after the 4 day tour, to get a wash!

The food was ok, despite very small edible portions obviously designed for the more elderly person. The meat dishes, beef, lamb etc were sliced as thin as bacon rashers.

However the restaurant staff were very courteous and went out of their way to help. They get my vote!

This tour is well geared up to the over 65's and will probably suit them well in this respect. For anyone younger then another location would be better."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of September 2007

60's Weekend

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Just returned from a weekend at the Elgin along with 12 friends. We've had a ball, this was our second visit this year . Entertainment, food and hospitality was first class. We will be back for another visit soon. Thank you all at the Elgin."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

A great family hotel, nice redecorated rooms good location

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Everything you could want in a Blackpool Hotel.

Nice location in the quieter part of the seafront but still only 10 minutes walk along the front to all the action. Tram stops out side the hotel if you dont want to walk

We stayed in a club room well worth the small extra fee if you can get one. As part of a larger group I had the chance to look at other rooms and to be honest most were good.

Good family entertaintment if you want it in the evening, on the two nights we stayed we had a music show one night and a comic the second, both very good. Pity we did not win the Bingo or quiz.

Half Board is fantastic value the food quality and service good.

Nigel the Owner/Manager was in the Hotel all the time making sure all the guests were happy.

Give this one a try..and the pub next door........"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Great in every way

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"I have just returned from an excellent stay at The Elgin Hotel in Blackpool. The weekend was great value for money as the food, service, entertainment and decor were outstanding. The hotel looks as nice as any top hotel.
Every course of every meal was delicious. We were in a party of 16 and everybody, without exception, said they would go back. As Blackpool was out of season the town was quiet and many of the hotels closed. The Elgin however was full and it was buzzing. I can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

2006 - but no shower in bathroom!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We spent 5 days in the Elgin in May. Walked into bedroom and was pleasantly surprised to see it had been newly decorated. Headed for bathroom - NO SHOWER! Couldn't believe in the year 2006 that a hotel room did not have shower facilities, not even a rubber attachment.
Asked for one at reception - supplied with one that was so cracked no water came through shower head at all. Left it in the bin to be thrown out but it was back in the bath after the cleaner had been. Ended up having to walk up the corridor to my friend's room every morning to wash my hair in their shower. Not impressed.
Very impressed with the food, we were half board and every breakfast and evening meal was excellent. Staff were very pleasant and service was quick (too quick sometimes).
Entertainment was on every night and ranged from mediocre to very good.
If it hadn't been for the lack of shower facilities (I wasn't the only one without a shower) I would be happy to recommend the hotel. Hopefully they will update the bathrooms soon.
One other point, the Elgin is quite a distance away from the main tourist attractions - be prepared to pay for tram or taxi everytime you want to go down to the area around the Tower."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of June 2006

not as good as previous visits

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I have just returned from a few days break at the "ELGIN" hotel in blackpool, we have been to this hotel on a number of occasions, and found in the past visits good value for money, but this time the food was very bland and tasteless, I dont know who they had in the kutchens but he was no more of a chef than i am, [ me being a joiner] the staff were very friendly and the hotel itself is comfortable, although the entertainment was no good at all, i recomend that if you do visit this hotel you just have bed and breakfast and eat out for the evening meal."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005