Good

I booked into this hotel for the weekend...

Reviewed Thu 7th of August 2008

"I booked into this hotel for the weekend in May 2008, our anniversary. It was spotlessly clean and the rooms were well equipped with a hair dryer, iron and board, flat screen TV, tea and coffee facilities ect.

The staff were more than helpful. We used the gym, went swimming, used the sauna and ended with a 3 course gourmet meal, with entertainment, which was all very romantic.

In the morning we were spoilt for choice on what to eat for breakfast, of course we had the full English and went back for seconds as it was beautifully presented and tasted excellent.

They had a very posh wedding on that particular weekend and even so they catered for everyone needs. We had a lovely relaxing weekend. The staff are measured on their hospitality towards the guests by given us a questionare to fill in at the end of our stay, this is also done for the food and for the staff's performance in the restaurant. We tipped our waiter as he excelled his services by making sure we were looked after.

I plan to go back every year for our anniversary. I cannot understand how any one can fault this beautiful hotel and it surrondings, which was overwhelming. They offer good deals for couples and families, which is well worth the money for a short stay."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

Not as bad as the reviews

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at this hotel in August. After I had booked I read the reviews for this hotel and was concerned as to what we'd let ourselves in for. It's know where near as bad as the reviews. The room we stayed in was a bit dated and could probably do with a make over but was clean and perfectly acceptable. The reception staff were okay and helpful. They probably could smile a bit more! We only had breakfast but it was excellent with plenty of choice. The breakfast staff were efficient and well mannered. The pool was very good and very clean. We found it an ideal base for exploring Kent. Not the best hotel we've ever stayed in but certainly not the worst. The reviews just didn't reflect our experiences at this hotel"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

OK, But Should Be Much Better

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Our stay at this hotel was ok. There was a few problems but nothing too bad. Our main problem was when the toilet broke and it was not fixed on the day that we reported the problem.

This hotel is set amongst some beautiful scenery. It is a shame that the interior of this hotel does not match the exterior beauty. The interior decor is dated and slightly dilapidated.

The main plus point of this hotel is the sports facilities. They have a some excellent faciilities including 2 quality tennis courts, swimming pool, and table tennis.

Something to be aware of in this hotel is the heat. The rooms get very very hot (even on cool & mild days). If you don't sleep easy on hot nights do not pick this hotel as your place of stay!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Awful hotel, beautiful setting yes, staf...

Reviewed Fri 21st of July 2006

"Awful hotel, beautiful setting yes, staff and cleanliness horrendous. Last year we stayed at the hotel and many, many people were complaining I myself complained, went back a year later hoping things would change but not so.

Took the entire stay there for them to clear the corridor of dirty linen and glasses etc hotel room itself was not cleaned properly and I had to throw rubbish in bins that wasn’t done and had to properly clean the bath myself on arrival, the reservations staff at the hotel (not the central reservations) were extremely rude on the phone would seriously not recommend this hotel, booked the room direct with the hotel then found that if you phoned the central booking line you could get the room £40 cheaper.

When I then phoned to cancel the room with the hotel got told it was a concert night at Leeds castle and they should have put their prices up due to the concert, so be warned do not book direct with the hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

So very bad , and they just don't give a damm

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The Ramada Hotel at Hollingbourne IS THE PIT' S - it's in a lovely area but I feel so sorry for people who go there wih expectations that there stay at this hotel will enhance there trip be it business or pleasure. The hotel is awful, the rooms are horrible, chipped tiles in bathroom, platic shower curtains, torn and worn out chairs, worn out flooring in the bathroom, wardrobes that smelt -dirty curtains and black base valance sheets that didn't mach anything else in the room - I presume put there for pure convenience to save them having to be changed very often. The reception staff - cold and shrug of the shoulder attitude to everything. I arrived after eight very tired and hungrey so didn't want to go and look for somewhere to eat - how I wished I had - the food was overpriced overcooked ' cook by numbers' - staff again rude and scruffy.
Stay anywhere but don't stay here. I have written to the Hotel and the Group - but I have received no reply and probably won't get one anyway - the hotel was full so that's all they look at - profit profit and more profit , and don;t give a damm about anything else. The pool is no better - the ladies changing rooms and showers were absoloutely filthy - it should be closed down."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

nothing special

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Spent 2 nights here, we had a studio room that was modern, clean & had a very comfitable king size bed. Like other reviews the room was very , very hot & remained hot even with the radiator turned off.Communal areas need updating & the restuarant looked very tired.
Dinners were over priced & very average , breakfasts were good.
Swimming pool & changing rooms were of a good standard."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of March 2006

Terrible - Avoid this

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The food was truly awful. The evening meals were plain and over priced. For Breakfast the milk was on the turn and some of the fruit had mould on. The Waiters were unattentive and unresponsive.
In the evening the Service was worse, in fact it was so bad when we asked for a menu we were told to go to the bar and get one.
I also heard the barman complain to reception that he had to open the bar at 10.30 to serve us drinks. In short the customers are made to feel like they are an inconvenience to the staff. Rooms are quite nice and certainly very clean and made up well, but were very hot even in January and I had to sleep with the window open. Leisure facilities were very good and if for some reason you decide to still stay here, worth using. Unfortunately for me, neither of the last 2 points would ever pursuade me to ever revisit it again. The best thing about the hotel was leaving it. Staying here is a mistake!"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

look for an alternative hotel

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for two nights the rooms were very very dated (straight out of a seventies sitcom)
The curtains were stained badly there were stains on the bed valence, wallpaper was torn,the taps were grimey with the tops missing off of them.

We went out at 8am and put the "please make up my room" sign on the door when we arrived back at our room at 5pm the room wasnt made up.
We complained to the staff and they were very unhelpful.

We will never return again!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

Nice Room

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Stayed one night and was in a studio room which was really a larger double room. It was bright and clean with the usual amenities. Staff at the front desk were very helpful and breakfast was the usual buffet variety."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

OK, but has seen better days

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed here with a birding tour in July/August 2004. Rooms, staff etc. were OK, but not really what I would call a resort destination. Rooms were quite warm in the evening, but windows do open and the rural setting means little noise to bother a light sleeper. Rooms were clean, but hallways showed some real wear and tear - nothing off the hinges, but a renovation is needed.b

Ate virtually every breakfast and dinner here for 10 days, and the food was really quite good. The decor is styled after an American diner (I think) and it misses the mark by quite a bit. The bar is reasonably well stocked with wine and liquor, but draft beer selections were poor, and nothing even close to a real ale. For that try Hollingbourne or Leeds - both within walking distance.

Grounds are well kept, spacious and a jogging track runs 'round the perimeter for an easy stroll or jog circuits."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of November 2004

Dump!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Have just returned from one nights' stay at this hotel. The rooms are tatty and the bathroom was really tired. Worst of all, the bath was filthy. The foods is pretty grim as well, particularly the evening buffet which is largely inedible. Very very poor,avoid at all costs."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of November 2004

Nice but over priced!!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The Ramada Hotel Maidstone is of quite a high standard, the rooms are very modern and are extremely spacious.

The service is excellent with a nice bar and resturant area. Breakfast is of a high quality with staff generally helpfull if sometimes slightly sombre.

The hotel has many leisure facilites including a pool area which frankly has seen better days, The pool although a nice size and quite clean is let down by the standard of the chaging areas which on my stay which was 7 nights never really looked very clean...or modern.

Room Service Food is of a good standard, nothing amazing but more than acceptable. The hotel has an annoying policy of marking all orders for room service up to a minimum of £10 which if you ask me is slightly greedy and not industry standard.

The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are maintained well. The hotel has lots on offer including a very pricey hairdressing salon!!

~As long as your carefull and monitor prices of things, this hotel is definetly worth a look."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of September 2004