About Hythe Imperial

• golf course

Good

My spa day experience

Reviewed Sat 10th of September 2016

"My husband bought me a voucher for a rejuvenate me spa day as a birthday treat. I was so looking forward to  the experience but was disappointed  with some of the treatments.
At the beginning of my treatment experience  I was shown  to the treatment room and when I laid down on the massage table I found one of the towels being wet which was clear that the towels were not changed prior to my session and when I pointed it out to the member of your staff, she  changed the wet towel but not the other 4 towels that were on the table. It made me question  hygiene standards in facilities.
The back massage was the highlight of the day and the lady was very nice.
However, my luxury pedicure was not good. My feet were treated with the refreshing scrubbing but my heels were not scrubbed and are quite rough. Then they were soaked following by application of a hydrating mask (on one foot only) and heated boots and only a few  minutes massage and foot massage was supposed to be a part of my treatment. The pedicure  was supposed to be finished with a nail tidy but all I had was my cuticles being pushed back.  My toe nails were not cut, my cuticles were not removed, my heals were not scrubbed.  I was offered a nail vanish to be applied on my finger nails as you did not have  shellac polish  remover which was fine with me as not all facilities specialize in shellac but I was disappointed when  a very thick layer of nail varnish was poorly  applied which did not dry off  for hours and parts of it came off by the end of the day,  so I remove it.
Prior to my treatments, I enjoyed  the facilities like swimming pool, sauna, thermal and the staff in general was very helpful and polite but unfortunately my experience was ruined and I would want to use the facilities in future not to be disappointed and wouldn't recommend it to friends and family.

• Travel date: Sun 4th of September 2016

What A Dump!

Reviewed Tue 10th of May 2011

"We've been for a number of weekends away at Spa hotels and have always enjoyed a 'luxury' experience. Not here! The place is a shabby tired dive. We weren't warned that the place was covered in scaffolding, paint peeling throughout the building, grubby. Everything about this hotel is tired. I was embarrassed to have taken my wife there. Not a special experience at all. The building was obviously magnificent in its day, but needs literally millions spent to bring it up to standard. Verdict - If you are after a 'special' night or weekend away best avoid! "

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2011

We've been visiting this splendid old ho...

Reviewed Fri 15th of February 2008

"We've been visiting this splendid old hotel for about 12 years now. Unfortunately on our most recent visit it has new owners and seems to be trading on past glories. They seemed woefully understaffed and the staff they had were mostly either inadequately trained or didn't care. Breakfast on our first morning was a buffet which was constantly empty, when there was food there were no plates. The waiters reaction to the inevitable complaints was to get aggressive with their customers! To be fair on subsequent mornings breakfast was much better but this was because there were a lot less guests and the buffet was abandoned. The "Fine Dining" which they proudly advertise was second rate, my wife found mud in her salad. The excuse was this wasn't their fault because they buy the salad in pre-prepared. The steak was tough and not a quality cut. The list of complaints could go on (and on) but this hotel badly needs some heavy investment and strong management to bring it back up to a four star standard.

• Travel date: Fri 15th of February 2008

Excellent

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Having read a few negative reviews I was expecting to be disappointed. Travelling alone I requested a single room which are usually inferior to those of double occupancy. However my room was in a superb position just yards from the seafront with a beautiful view. Large, with a fully modernised shower room.
Dinner was a treat although I did pay the supplement (£5.00) for the more exciting starter and main course. Service was fast and efficient. Breakfast menu very extensive. Staff courteous and friendly. Would definately recommend."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of September 2006

relaxing break

Good
Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I think I am the first to write a review on this particular hotel so I will try and be as detailed as I can be. Firstly my opinion might be slightly bias as I actually won a 2 night stay in this lovely hotel, but will try and comment as truthful as I can. This hotel is situated on the sea front and has wonderful views from all of the rooms. Our check in was quick and pain free and the first impression of this hotel is clean, upper class and has a nice atmosphere about. Our room had everything we needed and was very comfortable my only gripe would be about the decor as it could do with being updated it seemed abit too floral and out dated. the resturant was mostly run by french waiters and waitresses and can be a little slow at serving you, some forgeting to hand you a menu or the drink options. the food was beautiful and had a nice choice to choose from, the wines that I tried were all fantastic. I have to say breakfast was up there in my top 10 ever it was spot on, well worth buying. We had a massage there which was lovely I would recommend it for a pampering session. The gym had everything you needed and was tidy and well organised. Overall it was a lovely stay and would recommend it for people who have a special occasion or in need of a relaxing time. I do believe it would have been fairly expensive if we would have had to pay so I was very fortunate to have won it in a competition. hope this review helps."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006

comfortable rooms, shame about the restaurant

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Hythe Imperial. The hotel was distinctly average for a 4* and i would say it could be better. We did however have a pleasant suprise when we arrived we had paid a special price of £99 a night per room bed and breakfast and we were told we were in the hythe suite! The room was very comfortable and spacious, however there was a large brown stain on the wall which was not very appealing.

The pool and spa area was well kept although there were a few dirty plastic cups scattered around the jacuzzi area which did not look very attractive.

The lobby area was a disappointment. The weekend i went there was a lot of rain and there were buckets placed in the lobby because the ceiling was dripping. This did not look very professional for a 4* hotel.

The restaurant was very poor. The service is dreadful and all the staff were walking around as though they did not have a clue what they were supposed to be doing. We were ignored for at least 15 minutes and a couple near us hadn't even received their menu's after 20 minutes! While we were awaiting our main course the waitress came and asked us if we wanted any dessert!

Overall the hotel was a comfortable weekend getaway, however there are a few things which need to be improved and i would advise anyone planning on staying there not to eat in the restaurant."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Hythe Imperial weekend

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Booked direct through the Hotel web site and got a great deal on a late(ish) notice booking. All I can say is thank god I've learnt have to read between the lines on the negative reviews or else I’d have missed out!

I can understand complaining if you haven’t enjoyed something you’ve paid for but I do wish people would still stay objective for the sake of others using this system.

The hotel was great all round so anyone giving it less than a 3 must have an issue with food, service, building and location, two of which I’m pretty sure can’t changed since 2005! All I can say is if you don’t want to go to Hythe don’t go to this hotel but if you do want to go to Hythe then don’t go to any other.

Food was really good, as I'd expected from reading previous reviews (filtering out the professional complainers).

The service was brilliant, I'm the kind who likes to feel looked after without being fawned over so I have nothing but praise for them all.

But for us the grounds and location are the real high of this hotel. The beach is just feet away and wasn’t busy even though the weather was hot and although I don’t play golf the fact that the course runs out form the side of the hotel means that the hotel stands on its own, not crowded in to some sea front terrace.

Hythe itself is a lovely seaside town but like all old towns has limited parking so left the car in the hotel car park and took the short walk, through the grounds and over the canal (yes to was as good as it sounds).

All in all we had a lovely time and the standard of the hotel was a major part in that."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Great Location - Dreadful Service

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I've stayed at this hotel about 5 times over the last year (not out of choice, but because it's where my company books). Every time there is at least one problem with the service.

Room service not available until 7.30pm 'because we have a group in'. Cold food, wrong food, indifferent staff, no irons or ironing boards available... the list could go on and on.

Why anyone would stay here by choice I do not know! Oh - the view from some of the rooms is good. I guess a 4* hotel has to do something right!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

Faultless

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We have just stayed in this hotel and could find no fault with it at all.In fact at a special price of £50 for a double room and full English breakfast, it has to be the bargain of the year. The room (no.305) was large, light and had a fantastic view of the beach.The shower was superb and everything was in good condition.Service was courteous and friendly.The swimming pool was warm (though a little tired looking)and the staff offered us towels and robes.Behind the hotel is a huge garden and the lounge areas were spacious and attractive. Being a Sunday night it was quiet - maybe if you were there on a Saturday it could be a different story.I would highly recommend it. We chose to eat out and ate din at the Hythe Bay Restaurant on the front - nice food, shame about the service and piped music.All in all a wonderful hotel in a superb setting just minutes from a beach and golf course."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"I have stayed at this fantastic hotel twice before with my boyfriend, on which our 2nd stay he proposed to me so we both see the Hythe Imperial as a special place to us. My boyfriend works as a chef and usally casts veiws over food when we eat out but he could'nt fault a thing on both occaions we stayed!.
The rooms were great with fab veiws of the sea, room service great, the food great and the staff were very friendly. We'll definately keep coming back..... even though we only live in the next town!."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of February 2006

What a wonderful hotel

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"I was a little concerned about this hotel, having read previous reviews, however I should not have been, I had a beautiful hotel overlooking the Sea and golf course (ask for 413) just beautiful, the food was excellent, a credit to the chef. The breakfast was a little busy, but go down before 8.30am as recommended and this is avoided. The staff are friendly and helpful Joe on the Bar was a delight.

I would recommend this hotel, for a getaway, business travellers, if you have a specific request ask, they are very accomodating.

Look out for good offers through the web.

Give it a try a great location, with a linx golf course."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2006

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I stayed in the hotel on business from 15-17 Jan.

The room was much too hot and there was no way of altering the radiator which was on full blast; I slept with the window wide open on both nights. During the day I left the window open and still the room did not cool down.

Breakfast was thoroughly disappointing on both days. On day one the hotel had run out of mushrooms... basics. On day two we had agreed to be able to get into breakfast 15 minutes early in order to make a quick start. This had not been communicated to the staff who arrive at 7am prompt to begin preparing the breakfast, rather than serving it. Again ordering and receiving a correct cooked breakfast took two attempts.

I would add that both of my colleagues suffered a similar fate.

The television was poorly equipped with multimedia and I was not able to use an internet connection.

The bar could not serve the draft bitter or guiness, despite having the pumps on the bar.

The only redeeming feature about the room was the bathroom which was new and well equipped with a good shower and bath.

I would not stay here again, I would not recommend it to others."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

Hotels near Hythe Imperial

Top traveller tips for Hythe Imperial

• harris6666 by harris6666

"Maybe avoid this hotel. "

Hythe Imperial is also called