Reception Area

Love the Cake!

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Stayed at the Hotel Relish for two nights for a birthday celebration. Very friendly welcome upon arrival - lovely room. Really appreciated the complimentary coffee, water, wine & beer. Cake refreshed often. Friendly cats kept us company in the comfortable lounge. We had our little elderly dog with us. She loved the access to the park at the rear. Breakfast was excellent - high standard in comparison to anywhere. Only complaint was the macerator in the bathroom - a bit smelly. Bigger rooms probably don't have this problem."

• Travel date: 1st March 2007

Highly recommended

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"The Hotel Relish is a delightful hotel successfully combining contempary furnishings and colour schemes in a beautiful Regency (I would imagine) house. We stayed in the Ochre Suite which was extremely tastefully decorated with a gorgeous bathroom and a VERY comfortable bed. The owners welcomed us and continued to look after us throughout our stay. Complimentary wine was a very pleasant treat."

• Travel date: 24th February 2007

Contemporary Splendour!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Having read glowing reviews of "The Hotel Relish' it appeared that this establishments' reputation 'jumped of the page'. Could it really be THAT good? With cost in mind I viewed at least another ten options, for a stay in Folkestone - some where marginally cheaper but either excluded breakfast or were poorly located. 'The Relish' was booked and even over the telephone, the patrons' enthusiasm was encouraging and professional. The Hotel is superbly presented, has great decor, is beautifully clean and is everything you could hope for. The breakfast is great and served at realistic times. I cannot honestly think of negative aspects or reasons not to stay at 'The Relish' . Even if you are looking to stay within several miles of Folkestone it is worth the detour. To balance the review: I suppose if you are offered a room on the uppermost floor: you would need to be in reasonable health to do the stairs...I cannot comment on disabled access. So often we travellers are charged good money to stay at establishments that are clearly in decline, have poor standards of cleanliness (and staff to match) and leave you feeling that staying in them is an act of penance. I appreciate my account may appear sycophantic - But I have no connection with this establishment and just feel that credit should be given where due... Book "The Relish' with confidence. Stephen Robbie Winchester"

• Travel date: 28th January 2007

Hotel/Ochre Room

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed in the Hotel Relish for two nights. We booked the Park Room (as it faces the the hotel gardens) but as this room was double-booked, we were upgraded, for free, to the Ochre Room. Room - The Ochre room is about a medium-sized room, large comfy bed, small bathroom, leather sofa, DVD-player, and small table. The decor is luxurious and contemporary. Bathroom, albeit small, is very clean - nice large bath tub and shower facility. Room itself is clean but not thorough - (we found dust on the armrests of the sofa, dirt behind the sofa and the towels had staines - yuk). Hotel - located on a residential street. Not much to see in Folkestone but we headed to Canterbury (half hour drive which is a fab drive as you're driving through country lanes and huge hills so make sure you have your driving tunes ready!!) - if u do head out to C'bury, do the river tour - absolutely beautiful and well worth the value. All in all worth staying at the hotel for a quick getaway in Kent."

• Travel date: 14th October 2006

Enthusiasm wearing thin?

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"I stayed at the Hotel Relish for two nights in September. It is a nice, quirky little place that actually pulls off the combination of modern design in a Victorian building. Everything is bright and cheerful, although it can appear slightly stark. Due to business commitments I arrived late (about 10pm) and was welcomed by the owner, who showed me around. Instead of the usual run-of-the-mill tea and coffee facilities in the room there was a very good coffee machine downstairs near the lounge. Here one could also find complementary water, wine and beer (yes, you have read correctly – it is free!), together with some home-baked cake. In the rooms you can find soft towels, a wonderful shower, and lovely toiletries. However, it was, bizarrely, let down by some odd little things. Most notably, my room had a large built-in wardrobe but with no shelves and only one coat hanger. As the latter was not of the theft-proof variety one usually sees in hotels these days I can only assume they had been more numerous originally but were ‘accidentally’ requisitioned by previous guests. When I asked for a couple of additional hangers, a motley collection of plastic ones, once part of the displays of various clothing outlets, appeared. Shirts and other items could only be stuffed into the two small bedside cabinets or left in the suitcase – neither being a perfect solution if one is on a business trip and needs to look the part the next day. Also, cleanliness is OK but not faultless. Some areas could have done with a bit more than just a quick wipe over. Oh, before I forget, it is also not advisable to hand in your keys if you go out for the day. They are not used to that, which is something staff don’t tell you, unfortunately, in the morning. On my return at about 5pm I found the front door locked. In my case, following the instructions to ring the bell next to the door meant I had to wait quite a while until the owner appeared to open it for me – and suddenly the welcome was a lot less friendly than the evening before when I arrived. The hotel is quite new (renovated and opened in 2004) and looks fresh, accordingly. It has also received very positive reviews in such notable publications as the Good Hotel Guide. In my opinion none of these things is enough to deride this unusual hotel but it might be worth keeping an eye on it. Perhaps the first enthusiasm of a couple of years back is wearing thin."

• Travel date: 13th September 2006

Great Value

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Although this hotel doesn't seem cheap, if you compare the price of a comparable hotel room it's fantastic value. We stayed in the Ochre room which was lovely. Large room, big bed, lovely decor and ENORMOUS bath! Folkestone itself has nothing to offer but if you're looking for a a cosy weekend, this is perfect. The homemade cakes and complimentary drinks made it even better. Eat at the Hythe Bay Fish Restaurant - lovely seafood platter! The host was really friendly and breakfast was good."

• Travel date: 17th July 2006

Relish the Relish!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"My husband and I wanted one night of luxury somewhere on the Kent Coast. This was it! The hotel decor generally, particularly the rooms themselves, is beautiful. We stayed in the Stone room, which although small was delightful! We really liked the touch of DVD player as the weather wasn't wonderful to go out the whole time. We loved the free drinks (beer, wine, water, tea or fantastic industry machine coffees) and I wonder if the hotel gets a license for a bar if the hotel might lose something. Breakfast was great - a wide choice and an easy atmosphere. We had one very small bad point: The shower was great; big shower head, lovely hot and fast water. Unfortunately because the hotel building is so old the drainage can't keep up and I almost flooded the bathroom!"

• Travel date: 3rd May 2006

Great value

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Fantastic welcome, wonderful room with big comfortable bed and spacious bathroom. Amazing value for money - we will definately return."

• Travel date: 10th April 2006

hotel relish folkestone

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Arrived at the Hotel Relsish on a very cold afternoon in Folkestone. I was very eager to get inside of the Holel so I could escape the elements, however I was soon disapointed, mainly do to the fact there was no heating in my room. After unpacking and turning on the radiators I went downstairs to relax in the lounge area, again no heating turned on!!. Hotel is very relaxed and quite clean."

• Travel date: 22nd March 2006

Excellent and welcoming

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"We arrived early but as our room was ready we were able to check in instantly. We had wanted one of the more superior rooms but they were fully booked so we staying in the one up from basic and it was lovely. Super clean linen, lovely powerful shower and gorgeous view of the park - for a short stopoever could not fault it."

• Travel date: 22nd March 2006