George Bar

• secured parking
  • telephone
  • kids meals
  • street parking amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • bridal suite
  • desk
  • special diet menus
  • atm on site

Good

Very pleasantly surprised would most certainly use again

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"My wife and I stayed here overnight as our Lodge was holding its annual Ladies Night. Check in was a little slow as there was only one member of staff dealing with the bar and the front desk, but apologies over, we were swifty checked in and then given our keys and directions to our room, The room, 211 had recently been refurbished and I have to say that the standard was very high with a beautiful bathroom with bath and shower, the bed was firm but very comfortable and a flat screen tv added to the comfort, the radiator was unable to heat the room properly, but the hotel was obviously aware as they had supplied a bllow heater which was more than capable of doing the job. Overall, the standard was better than some 4 star hotels we have stayed in After the event that evening we retired to the lobby for a few more drinks,the seating ( large sofas,) was very comfortable and the barman though not over friendly was very efficient. After going back to our room and enjoying a very comfortable nights sleep we came down in the morning for a full english breakfast which was included in the cost of the room and it was most enjoyable and filling with more than enough toast. Check was also simple and pleasant and we wee soon on our way home. Many thanks we will be back next year"

• Travel date: 28th February 2010

Welcoming Stay

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Booked hotel last minute for a weekend break in Rochester. The reception staff were friendly and check in quick. As we arrived late evening the restaurant was closed but the bar staff suggested we could have a bar meal which we did. The rooms although basic were maintained to a good clean standard. The Full English breakfast filled the gap with ample coffee! and the staff courteous and friendly."

• Travel date: 11th September 2009

Homely, family feel, genuinely friendly atmosphere.....professional.....and the BEST choc fudge cake south of sheffield

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"Having worked away from home for the past 10 years, I have stayed in very many hotels. I found the St. George whilst on business in Chatham a couple of years ago and have stayed there many times. From the first time i checked in, I was treated extremely professionally but with a genuine friendliness which I have never found in larger 4 and 5 star hotels. The hotel is everything you would expect. From the cleanliness of rooms to the excellent menu choice in the restaurant but the thing which sets it apart from other hotels is the personal touches and the friendliness of the management and staff which actually feels genuine and not someone "just being insincerely nice to you so they get a tip" like you seem to get in most hotels. I have only eaten in the restaurant once and even though the food was superb, I preferred to eat in the bar area which has a smaller, more "home cooked" menu but has a "homely, family" atmosphere where I got to know people who have also stayed there many times before. Whilst I have been writing this, I have been trying to think of something negative to say but I can honestly say that the only thing which has room for improvement is the the packed lunch which is offered if you can not make breakfast. Then again, I don t think I ve stayed in many hotels which offer a packed lunch at all. If ever I am working in and around Kent, The St. George is always the first call I make when I m looking for accomodation. I have and will continue to recomend this hotel to family, friends and colleages."

• Travel date: 9th September 2009

weekend spent with cleints and old friends

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"from the moment i arrived i was greated warmly by the receptionist, who was very busy with a wedding that had been there in the afternoon.But i was seen and asked to wait a short while whilst she helped the wedding guests get sorted. I was directed to the bar, which at the time was quite although i remember there was a football match on. I was served a cold beer whilst waiting to be booked in for a nights stay. The price was reasonable for the room and beer, just waited a little while longer than i would expect but then there was a few wedding guests to sort out.The room was small but updated with new tv, and dvd,decent veiw over the medway river.?No smokers thank god,saves me carrying a air freshener.In the evening me and my guests had a meal which was a reasonable standard,better portions than in the past and more variety on the menu for vegies.We then ordered a taxi from reception and well round town,the taxi arrived in good time and returned us to the hotel just before closing at the bar,one one drink then bed.slept well. felt too rough to have breakfast, so coffee was had."

• Travel date: 9th September 2009

Very nice hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Found hotel to be clean, tidy. Looked as if recently been redecorated. Our room had lovely view from window. Secure car parking. Breakfast very nice although the waitress could have greeted us with a "good morning" and been little more friendly towards the guests. Only one slight disappoint when we visited on a Friday the restaurant wasn't open for evening meal but we were offered a bar snack menu in the bar, but as we wanted a little more than bar snacks we had to find alternative arrangements for evening meal. Would definately stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: 29th June 2009

Grim at best....

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Myself and several relatives stayed for one night because of a 40th birthday being held in one of the function rooms. I can honestly say it is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in... The room smelt of stale cigarette smoke and when we entered the room, the windows were wide open so it was absolutely freezing and the heating barely kicked in after several hours. We were in room 401 and we thought we had an Emergency Exit leading out of our room... it turns out that the alarmed and locked door was really the door leading to the adjacent room so we could hear EVERYTHING and I'm sure the gentleman next door could hear the same from our room! The room was extremely dated, with little or no cupboard space.... it looked like something out of the early 80's! The bathroom was basic, but clean. The hotel overall was also dated and the hallways and corridors looked like something out of a grotty youth hostel. The reception was dated and not a brilliant first impression. The party itself.... the buffet ran out after about 10 people, and was not replenished for the other 30 - 40 people. There was one member of bar staff so when he disappeared for a break, we had no service! The breakfast was disappointing at best. You had a ticket on which you had to tick what you wanted... It literally was one egg, one sausage, half a tomato and one rasher of bacon. Nothing else... perhaps a buffet style would have been better. All in all, it was most definitely not worth the £63 we paid for a B&B... more like £30 at most! It was extremely dated and service was poor. I will never stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. You're better off staying in a Travelodge so that's saying something!"

• Travel date: 21st April 2009

not best pleased

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"knowing that they where catering for more than 200 people from a local masons lodge who have been there the previous 5 years i was disgusted with the reception also the rooms are very basic if you have lights you can see what they are really like hence we did not have any lights .no shower gel or soap, heating was turned off . on to the evening , the main conference room was fine as were the bar staff and caterers after the evening we have always gone to the reception bar and had a nightcap or two with some 30 to 40 people expecting a drink before retiring to their room we were a little dissapointed to say the least they closed the bar after 45 minutes and the manager had told us it would be open untill 4 oclock it actually closed at 1250 . the manager or so called partner of the hotel had no excuse other than she no longer wanted the bar open and said we dont need your custom for one night a year [obviously have more trade then they have sense]i replied it is a little more than one night they have xmas dos and also the odd meeting there during the year she then became quite rude and hid behind her doorman at reception i will never set foot in that place again and i think the lodge have moved venue for their next big function ."

• Travel date: 26th February 2009

Great place for an overnight pit stop

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We used this hotel because we were in the area for an interview. The staff could not have been more welcoming and kind. Breakfast was ample and the room was spacious and clean. Good value hotel if you need a bed for the night. Most other residents seemed to be workmen, working in the locality. They all seemed very relaxed and happy with the service too. Free internet access and a nice bar area with sofas and a large screen on which the England v France footy was watched."

• Travel date: 4th April 2008

Loved the view from the room......

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"From the checking in there were problems, mainly that the managing director that took my booking had made it for one night instead of two. So with the receptionist appologising for the mistake and offering to let me have the room at a 'bargin rate' of £30 pounds which was £25 pounds off the price, I at least had somewhere to spend that night. Thankfully I was visiting friends that could accomadate me for the next night. The room while having a view of the river was rather basic and thankfully clean, although I am glad I only paid £30 for it as its not worth the extra £25. After deciding at the end of the night to sample the hotels bar we were given the once over by the off duty staff and served our drinks, which was only one as we then decided to retire to the bedroom and out of what can only be described as visitng a zoo. The breakfast was served by staff that had the attitude of wanting to be elsewhere apart from where they were. There was a piece of paper as a menu that had the breakfast choices on it ie either beans or tomatoes not both. The order given the juice arrived and so did the toast which was cold and gettin colder by the minutes that we waited for our breakfast to arrive. We then went back to our room to shower and repack our over night stuff, at 11o'clock on the dot the telephone rang but since i was getting dressed, and my friend that stayed was just finishing showering so the phone was not answered we can only assume it was reception asking us to leave the room. I can describe my whole experience in that hotel as one that I wont be repeating any time soon, my friend that stayed with me lives down that way and even commented that the sevices we recieved was not like the usual service of the hotels round that way."

• Travel date: 8th August 2006