Exterior

Good

good hotel shame about check-out!!

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Stayed here for 2 nights as a birthday getaway after Christmas. Booked it in October and rang up in December to pay the balance - or so i thought....... Checked-in (took 10 mins) and went to our room. Hotel seemed to prefer you to let them swipe your credit card - even if you've paid already. I declined. Room absoultely fine. Breakfast top rate. Went back to room after breakfast on day 2 morning and cards did not work to open door. Went to reception and had to get cards re-magnetised. tried to check-out on day 3 and was told i owed £20. I booked centrally and got a good rate and paid it off in early december. hotel reception said there was an error and i owed £20. I was told that if i wasn't paying £20 then they'd have to ring central reservations and get a supervisor to listen to my conversation. was told this could take 1/2 hour. i knew i was in the right so held firm. after 20 mins of waiting to depart was told that central reservations had not replied so they would call me if on my mobile - as i drove down the motorway!!! received a call an hour later to be told i was totally right about having already paid the full balance fo the room as my phone call had been taped. Surely it would have been better to send me on my way straight away and phone me later if there was a problem or not? I've used this place 6/7 times before so i'm not a fraud. I love this hotel but this left a bad taste in my mouth."

• Travel date: 31st December 2008

Don't judge a book by its cover...

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Stayed here for one night on a Saturday night with my girlfriend for our anniversary. Got a good deal considering it was a saturday. Booked through Last minute.com. The room included breakfast and use of the Spa as much as we liked. The title sums it up really. After coming off the motorway our Sat Nav indicated that the hotel was situated quite close to the motorway so instantly I was concerned. Pulled into the hotel car park and was concerned even more as the hotel looked a bit run down. Keeping my concerns to myself hoping the girlfriend wasn't thinking the same as I was, we walked into the reception area. What a difference! The reception area was classy and staff were very welcoming. Check in was easy and we were explained where everything was. So headed towards to the room into the lift (which in my oppinon could do with a bit of work) and then out into the corridor (which also really does need some work). After seeing the lift and the corridor my concerns returned. Got to the room (243) and put the key into the door.... Oh my god....what a difference. The room was lovely. Really nice modern decor, a big comfy bed with bath robes on, sofa and armchair and coffee table and to me what look like a brand new 23" Samsung TV which greeted us with Welcome Mr....... and not forgetting a really nice and modern looking bathroom (bath and shower). Couldn't fault the bedroom. Top class. Now I booked a standard room via last minute. I was also emailing the hotel asking about the Spa etc. and in my final email I cheekily asked if it was possible to get an upgrade the day before. We had been upgraded to a deluxe room hence the larger living room area, bath robes and free water. But was a nice touch was the Happy Anniversary card that was on the side from all at Ashford International. Now not many hotels would go to that much trouble with an upgrade and a card...for nothing. Classy. We spent the afternoon in the Spa which was nice although not fantastic. Wouldnt say it was a top Spa but it was still nice. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. Looking at the menu it looked a little expensive but we ordered anyway. Staff were great. Couldn't fault them at all. Food came out and it was probably the best meal we had in ages. We didn't drink and the meal came to just over £30 for two of us, which considering what it was like was fantastic. Went back to room and although we had the heater on the room still felt cold so called down for a bed cover to be sent up. 2 mins later there was another quilt at the door. Fantastic night sleep. Didn't wake once. Up for breakfast which was again fantastic. Full english, Fruits, cereals, breads etc. just brilliant and again Staff fantastic. Overall the hotel was fantastic, would stay there again for sure. Staff were fantastic, room was fantastic and the food/restaurant was yes you guessed it...fantastic. The only negatives were: heater in room could do with making hotter, and hotel corridors and hotel exterior need a bit of work but as I said.... Don't judge a book by its cover."

• Travel date: 9th December 2008

very comfy

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We booked this hotel through laterooms.com. They were cheaper than going through the hotel website directly. The hotel was clean and comfortable and easy to get to from the motorway. We stayed here for a family wedding. When we arrived there was quite a queue at the reception desk as there was a wedding reception taking place at the hotel so there were a lot of guests all trying to check in at the same time. Once we were checked in though it was great. The room was clean and comfy. The bed gave us the best night's sleep and the bathroom was clean too. We didn't check out the bars or other facilities, but breakfast was delicious and had a good choice. The only problem we had was the sensor lights in the toilets off the lobby, the gents lights went out on my partner and he was trapped in the pitch black until someone else came in and re-triggered them. Quite dangerous!"

• Travel date: 19th November 2008

Staff couldnt do more. Would recommend!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed here as part of a weekend seminar where about a hundred staff descended on the hotel. I thought that having such a large group would mean the individual service and attention from staff would suffer. How wrong was I! The staff were amazing especially the restaurant and bar staff who worked very hard to make sure that things were done efficiently and properly. Credit to the restaurant manager and his team for covering all the meals and maintaining a high standard throughout our stay. Food was great and they did Halal catering for our seminar too! They even agreed to store the baby milk for us overnight in the kitchen fridges (rooms don’t have fridges). Credit to the barmen who kept the bar open long into the early hours despite only a handful of us being there. Also for the fact they agreed to my request to put match of the day on, with volume, on a busy Saturday night in the bar so that we could catch up on the games. I’m sure that in any other similar sized hotel they wouldn’t have. The decor was modern and finished to a high standard and I was impressed. Havent seen service like this in a good few years!"

• Travel date: 18th November 2008

Great Room, Awful Restaurant

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We stayed at the hotel one night recently. We arrived at 4pm and found that the car park was busy but still quite easy to find a space. Check in was smooth and efficient. The lobby was nice and modern, obviously a lot of money has been spent here. The lift to our room had not been refurbished in quite some time and was tired looking. The room was a standard double and it was excellent. Bright and contemporary and fairly well maintained. The flat screen tv was quite new but at times arkward to change the settings. The guest welcome page didnt appear with our names on it for some 4 hours after check in, meaning we couldnt book any movies till then. The room was almost perfect except for two maintenance problems, a bulb out in the bathroom and and unusable bath plug. Just a bit of attention to detail would have made the rooms spot on. Sadly we had booked a dinner bed and breakfast rate. The restaurant was nothing short of a complete disaster from the second we entered! It took 40 minutes for our starter to arrive, bad when considering it was soup and pate!! Wholly unacceptable. The soup, which was meant to be stilton and broccoli was extremely bland, after one spoonful I couldnt eat anymore. My wifes duck pate was also not very good. An hour later the main course arrived, my cajun burger arrived, luke warm and anything but spicey. By this time the restaurant manager was making sure he body swerved us once he realised how long we were waiting (at least one other couple were waiting as long as us for service). I complained on departure and received a 15% reduction, not great for a terrible meal."

• Travel date: 17th November 2008

Great

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"Can see carparking may be an issue but we arrived late on a Saturday night whilst a wedding was taking place and did find what was the last space in the carpark! Had no problems with checking in, they took our dinner reservation there and then. Room was great , very clean etc. Only quibble was could have done with a bit more coffee and milk. Having worked for the Hilton and worked in the resturant environment for years this is one area that could be pulled up on. We were on DB&B and noone had explained to us what we could have on the menu as part of the package, the yyoungster who served us had to go away and ask, and this was all before we could even think about ordering anything! The supervisor/manager was excellent but seemed to be managing with a lot of inexperienced staff which meant long waits, and noone really seemed to know what they were doing. This was not helped by the fact the kitchen clearly could not cope with serving the wedding party whilst dealing at the same time with the restuarant, it was not even that busy when we sat down as was nearly 9pm. After a long wait everyone's food suddenly appeared all at once. Manager was apologetic. Good job we were not starving or in any hurry to go anywhere afterwards Breakfast was fine, food was hot, enough choice and lots of staff!. This is a very modern fresh hotel and much changed from years ago. Shame we dud not have the time to check out the leisure facilities. I think it is good value for money and would recommend. At least all the staff were pleasant and friendly."

• Travel date: 12th November 2008

Amazing international hotel should be 5*

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Hotel was excellent, service, food , rooms, cleanliness, staff where very good. I would stay again in this hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2008

Better than expected!!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Typical business and/or overnight stay hotel. (I stayed one night on business)! Lobby is like an airport lounge. Nice, friendly and efficient staff at reception. Room was comfortable, clean and quiet. However if you have a noisy neighbour it could get annoying. I heard every word of my neighbours 5 minute cell phone conversation. Fortunately they were very quiet for the rest of the stay. Hotel has a decent swimming pool and gym. Restaurant and food were good although service was a little slow and disorganised."

• Travel date: 29th August 2008

not impressed

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"After a refurb the interior is great, rooms look good with good quality bathroom fitments. The front desk was efficient. the restaurant was straight from fawlty Towers with waiters who struggled to understand english, a manager as disorganised as Basil and staff as dizzy as Polly. If you eat there the food is good but eat it quick as the air conditioning is so cold, your food is cold before you finish and wear your thermals. word of advice pay as you go and dont charge to you room. we did do this and was asked to extra for drinks at the bar that we did not have, this is due to the crazy system in the restaurant. all in all dont think is was value for money."

• Travel date: 10th August 2008

Excellent value for money

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"Needed a room for the night as we were going to a friend's party nearby. We were absolutely delighted with this hotel (as we have been by others in this chain). We did not use the restaurant (except for breakfast) but had a very nice snack in the bar. The pool/spa area was a real bonus (I liked the heated recliners) and helped iron out the kinks after a long drive. The decor was extremely attractive in the modern style and the bedroom clean and of a good size. Thoroughly recommended."

• Travel date: 21st July 2008