The Havelock exterior

About The Havelock

• heated pool

brill time

Reviewed 11th August 2012

"we celebrated silver wedding anniversary at the Havelock what a brill time we had. This is the third stay at the hotel and can not fault Dave and Ann and their staff for all the hard work carried out. Hotel room we had a balcony room which was lush. lovely weather so sat on the balcony daily reading the newspaper. Hope to return next year. We had room 8 highly recommended Breakfast was simply heaven so much variety too much to choose from it was surperb."

• Travel date: 11th August 2012

Very nice, very clean

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We stayed for two night's in early September. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless, I stay in hotels a lot and I know a clean room when I see one. The en suite was the same, also very big for the size of the room. The full English was very good and the staff were again all smiles. I would stay here again."

• Travel date: 24th September 2008

fantastic

Reviewed 22nd January 2013

"The Havelock Hotel is one of the most friendly, comfortable hotels I have stayed in. The pool was fantastic especially as we had a very hot sunny week and it was perfect to cool down. Dave and Ann are the perfect hosts and cant do enough to help and make your stay as enjoyable at possible and they do the most wonderful cream teas and crispy bacon baguettes around. I would definately recommend the hotel - its close to the beach and the old town and we will definately be back!"

• Travel date: 6th August 2008

Lovely Hotel, very nice people

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We stayed here in July 2008, and had a great time. We had a triple room overlooking the sea (no balcony), Dave and Anne were very friendly, helped us book bikes and recommended places for us to see. There is a pool and a very comfortable lounge/bar. Breakfast was lovely, the staff were very good. I would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2008

Better than some of the 5-star places I've stayed in.

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"My wife and I chose the Havelock after reading others reports here on TripAdvisor, and we weren't disappointed. The owners have only taken over this lovely 28-bedroom B&B last October and they are doing a grand job. Main points are .... (+) The owners and staff are very attentive and can't do enough for you. (+) The clean and light rooms. (+) The heated outdoor pool is great for a quick dip (+) The location is great for wandering into Shanklin. [No evening meals are served in the hotel, so it is very handy for going out and not having to drive.] (+) The price. Very fair price for a such a lovely stay. (+) Complementary tea/coffee on arrival. [You pay for extras such as the lovely Victorian sponge they have on offer if like us you are tempted]. (-) The walls are a little thin - we could hear one neighbours snores one night. (-) The shower pressure and temperature can be variable. (-) We wont get over again for another 12 months ! We are already planning to go back with the kids next year."

• Travel date: 5th July 2008

A really enjoyable trip

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Have just returned from a 3-night stay at the Havelock and now feel thoroughly rested. We booked a double room with ensuite shower. The room was fresh and bright and had a pleasant view overlooking the pool. What struck me most was how clean the hotel is, our room, the ensuite, all the communal areas, were spotless. Ann and Dave are the perfect hosts; nothing is too much trouble and they are available at all times; in fact, their friendly and professional attitude is reflected by all the staff. The hotel has a licence and the resident's lounge offers sea views and a friendly place to relax at the end of each day. Breakfast was lovely, other reviewers have commented on the choice from the buffet table and it was the same during our stay. The full english was delicious and I can recommend the scrambled eggs. The hotel also offers a choice of homemade snacks etc during the day. The pool area was well maintained and clean and whilst we didn't use it, it certainly looked inviting. The hotel is extremely well located in Shanklin; just 5 minutes stroll to the sea front or to the shops and restaurants. We would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 11th May 2008

A very pleasant short stay

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"My daughter had a short stay at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had single rooms, which were not small and poky at all as in some places. They were both spotless and the decoration was immaculate with plenty of thought to detail. Mine had a shower only, so best to check if you definitely want a bath. There was plenty of breakfast, cereals and cooked served in a spacious dining room. The hotel was in a quiet road but near all amenities. Mr. and Mrs. Bunney, the proprietors, could not have been more helpful. Would definitely recommend."

• Travel date: 30th March 2008

Lovely Weekend Break

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"I decided to suprise my girlfriend and take her away for Easter. I found the Havelock Hotel advertised on the internet and so called and booked the weekend. We arrived on the island and after driving to Shanklin, found the hotel in a very nice quiet location. I booked one of the balcony rooms and although the weather wasn't the best for our weekend, the views were great and I could just imagine sitting out on the balcony during the warm summer months looking over the sea! The room was nice and warm throughout our stay.The ensuite bathroom had just been refurbished and was finished very very nicely (plenty of hot water too for showers which was nice!!!) At breakfast there was a good selection of cereals/croissants/yogurts and juices and then the full english breakfast which was lovely! The hotel owners are a very nice couple, always there when you need them and are very friendly and helpful. 5 Minutes walk from beach and Old Shanklin Village where there are some nice family pubs for meals etc. Would definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay on the Isle of Wight. It was brilliant and will definitely be visiting in future!!"

• Travel date: 27th March 2008

Lovely Romantic Break.

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Lovely little hotel, with very friendly helpful couple running the place. It had every thing we needed, yummy breakfast, and clean tasteful rooms. There was lots of information on offer and some wonderful resturants with in 5 mins walk, as well as some lovely pubs. It was a lovely romantic break for me and the other half who had been together for 3 years on that weekend. Also whats great is the hotel inc your ferry tickets in the cost and sort it all out for you. Fair winter prices too!"

• Travel date: 18th December 2007

Lovely Hotel, Reasonably Priced

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We took a mid-week spur of the moment break to the Havelock Hotel in early November 2007. We normally take our main holiday at 4* resort hotels, but having decided to take a short break close to home we were very pleased with the Havelock. The whole property was spotlessly clean, with rooms being well decorated and furnished. Bed linen was clean and appropriate for the season; towels were replaced daily. Bathrooms were small, but adequate. Some had showers and others had baths - best to check when booking if you have a preference. Balcony rooms are worth the supplement, with balconies being reasonably sized and furnished with a couple of chairs and a small table - great for relaxing at the end of the day. Rooms on the top-floor have the best views, but alas no balconies on that level. Breakfast was well presented. A buffet table was provided for cereal, fruit juice, pastries and fruit. Full English breakfasts were cooked to order. At the time of our stay the hotel did not offer an evening meal, but plenty of good dining was available at nearby hotels (open to non-residents) or in the restaurants and gastro-pubs of Shanklin Old Village (5 minutes walk from the hotel). A nice looking pool and patio area is available at the rear of the property, but was closed for the winter during our stay. I'm sure we will make a return visit to the Havelock next year!"

• Travel date: 8th November 2007

No man is an island

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Spotless, very friendly, efficient and helpful. The staff are always around to advise about local sights, transport etc. The bathrooms could have been bigger but otherwise I would strongly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 22nd September 2007

Hotels near The Havelock

Top traveller tips for The Havelock

• by jude hiles

"central location really close to town beaches pubs and restaurants"