Joke of a hotel

Reviewed Tue 17th of September 2013

"Booked this hotel for the festival weekend festival didn't know much about the hotel was shocked wen I arrived at the o dour in the mail hall reception area we showed a brief tour of the hotel then to are undersized room which was almost claustrophobic the only feature worth staying in the room for for more than 10 minutes at a time was the Victorian style window overlooking a nice garden area. As we unpacked an settled in to the box room my partner needed a number of items of clothing ironing as their was no iron in the room went to reception waited ten minutes then decided to ring the hotel reception bell no one answered after persistently ringing the bell still no one showed. We left a wile later to go to the festival arriving back at approximately 2am finding their was no sign of anyone at reception yet again an realizing we were only provided with one bottle of sparkling water which none of us drink. We were forced to go out and find drinks and snacks arriving back at the hotel a short time later with a pizza and drinks we eat in the room an cleared rubbish in bags ready to be took down the next day. The next day was no different than the others no one in sight to ask for a iron after ringing in hotel reception bell again for wot felt like a life time we gave up and returned to are room. A short wile later we left the hotel briefly for toiletries as not many we're provided. Upon returning to the hotel we were confronted by the owners wife of the hotel who informed us that we were not allowed to bring food in to the hotel rooms an we should eat it outside or in are car. She also said she was shocked by the state of the room the only thing out of place in the room was the fact their was a pizza box in a bag in the corner of the room the bed sheets were not changed just tucked under the mattress. I don't really know the rules of hotels in the Isle of Wight but I have never been told I could not bring snacks up to my room which I have paid for I have only stayed on the island once before which was in a hotel called the priory bay which is a million miles away from Rylstone manor never had any problems with bringing refreshments up to are room and which their was always a friendly face behind the reception desk waiting to help you with any thing you may need. For us Rylstone manor is really over priced seriously over rated in much need of a make over and the owners need a lesson in how to speak to paying customers and need to hire some staff instead of trying to run a hotel greet guest an be a chef all at the same time. maybe then their would actually be summon behind the reception desk to answer to guests. I am a well traveled person an in my opinion this is quite possibly the worst hotel experience I have ever had. stay well clear their are many hotels on the island in the same price range that offer a better service in every single way with bigger rooms much friendlier service staff that are actually their to help and answer questions and help an who don't have a problem with guests bringing snacks back. Avoid this hotel like the plague the owners have no regard for the own personal hygiene mike is a really over weight man who clearly dose not get a good enough wash this shows as he escorts guests around the hotel walking behind him is somewhat over bearing his body odor was a real problem for us and carol presented herself smiling reviling teeth that looked like they were in great need of a polish this is just unacceptable wile greeting guests and running a hotel. Mike an Carol think that by getting their towels embroiled with the initials of the hotel that they are better suited to admiring rather than actually using a towel is their to be used not to be framed and cherished u can expect wear an tear in a hotel and are very possessive of their towels it's ridiculous your running a hotel not antique shop. On the second day of are unbearable stay we were only supplied with one towel we must of got the first one a bit too wet for their likening. I really do not know we're mike an carol found the hotel license maybe they found it on the floor one day but they are in much need of owner/manger skills. Looking back now I actually think the real reason for saying they were shocked at the room which by the way was very tidy apart from a empty pizza box wrapped up in a bag. Was that mike had invited us for dinner which we discussed an declined due to mikes lack of personal hygiene. And mike being an enthusiastic chef and later seeing we had actually opted for pizza instead of his hotel food had not liked that one bit. Tacky decor, no service, over priced, over rated, tiny rooms, are just a few notes o remember wen booking this over priced hotel I can't stress enough how bad it was an would advise genuine customers to look elsewhere eight bedroom hotel that are really undersized a bathroom you can barely stand up in and owners who clearly want to live the life of running a hotel wide out actually running a hotel,"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of September 2013

Let down by rude lady owner!

Reviewed Thu 21st of March 2013

"We arrived at the hotel but had to ring the bell s the door was locked.
The lady owner seemed puzzled by our appearance.
My daughter (although not staying) arrived with us as she was dropping us off and asked politely if she could use the toilet. The lady owner then replied "How rude, there is a public toilet not far from here"
Immediately that started a spiral of disappointments.
Her husband appeared and seemed a little friendlier and so the lady then disappeared never to be seen again.
At this point i discussed the evening meal menu which was very limited as it was cooked by him. We didn't go there for the food so we decided to eat at a pub.
We live on the island and this was a romantic night away for a big birthday so wanted something special, as you can imagine we were a little disappointing with the lack of effort made for a special occasion.
The man then took us up the stairs but the room he showed us to was the wrong room.
We had booked into the beech room, which is a four poster luxury room.
When i told him it was the wrong room, he informed me that i had made a mistake.
This was impossible as it was all booked very recently and double checked with confirmation as proof, price agreed etc.
It didn't seem to matter!
The room that we were offered was very small with a tiny bathroom, and i do mean tiny!
I couldn't believe it when the proprietor actually offered to "show" us the room, even though they clearly had other guests staying in the room, obviously we declined.
I couldn't believe they had double booked us and they really didn't seem to care!
It was a hard decision but we were so upset we had to leave.
The only positive point is that because we live on the island we hadn't actually paid any kind of deposit as it was relatively last minute booked but as we were leaving the lady came back out and tried to charge us for cancelling, i honestly couldn't believe it, there was no way i was going to pay a penny for this fiasco.
To sum it up, Looking around the house, i don't believe this hotel is anywhere as good as it claims, its very cluttered, the rooms are small and the staff is limited to a couple and a waitress.
Service is awful and there is no way i would go back or recommend.
This hotel is designed in my opinion for the more mature guests who should not expect too much for the price you pay."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of March 2013

We made the right choice.

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"We booked the hotel for the weekend as a surprise for my parents for their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Their honeymoon was is Shalklin and as soon as we saw Rylstone Manor we knew they would love it.
Right from the start Carole & Mike were so helpful, they let us in to have a look around, although we could't see any of the bedrooms as they were occupied.
When I phoned to book, Carole helped me to choose the right room for my parents, as they are all different.
When my parents arrived they were very pleased, they said the hotel is really lovely inside, the surrounding area is lovely (even in winter), its a short walk to Shanklin and there are lovely views from the gardens at the front to the sea.
The food was wonderful. Mike, Carole & Angie were very attentive the whole weekend. They also went along with the other surprises we had arranged for my parents, even down to taking an order for an evening meal, when they knew we were taking my parents out for a surprise family meal so they would't be eating at the hotel.
Thank you very much, for all your help in making it a wonderful celebration weekend, my parents really enjoyed it and I'm sure they will return for another visit."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of February 2009

A Delightful weekend

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2013

"Stayed at The Rylstone Manor to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
What a delightful hotel. The location is great, a walk through the park to the edge of the cliff, down the steps and onto the beach takes you to Shanklin Seafront. Although it was raining quite hard, it did not matter a bit. A nice romantic escape. The room was great with a nice four poster bed. The food was absolutely fantastic, Michael delivered the most delicous food, all fresh ingredients and beautifully cooked and presented. Carol is a charming hostess and nothing is too much trouble. A real gem of a hotel, delighted that we found it after having had a few disappointments previously on the island. The level of service we received was of a far superior standard to anything you might get in a large hotel or chain. What a refreshing change."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of December 2008

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"Both Mike and Carol were accommodating hosts.
The hotel in General is to a high standard set in a superb location with a five minute walk to Shanklin town.
I would highly recommend the half board option as the evening meal was excellant value and was complimented with a good selection of quality wines at affordable prices.
We simply could not fault this hotel and will definately return.

Steve & Jacqui - Llanelli, Carmarthenshire"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of September 2008

Best hotel I have ever stayed at...

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"This is the best Hotel myself and my husband have ever stayed at.
The Staff are lovely and it is obvious that they all get on well with each other and that the guests are their number one priority.
The food is exceptional, having stayed for a full week full board we were never disappointed.
The owners, Mike and Carol were always very approachable and only too pleased to advise on the best places to visit.
The Hotel itself was well placed in lovely surroundings, very clean and beautifully kept .
If you are thinking of visiting the Isle of Wight you can't go wrong at Rylstone Manor, you will not be disappointed; only exceptionally impressed."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2008

Hmm nice place but...

Reviewed Thu 26th of June 2008

"First of all I want to say this is a charming hotel set in a small park.
We have absolutely no complaints about the food ,it was great.

However, we arrived at Ryde by Hoovercraft and we purchased a Hoover Rover (such a bargain) and so therefore we were arriving to the hotel by pulic transport. Which is fine as long as you know where you need to get off. If like us you have never been to shanklin before, you wouldn't realise that theres the new town or the old town "how confusing" .
So i was told by Micheal to get of at the old town and to ask for the Rylestone Gardens walk through the gardens and there will be about 7 steps to go up then you will arrive at the hotel.
I discovered that none of the bus drivers know Rylestone Gardens. So after calling the hotel a couple of times they told us to "get off the bus and they would pick us up" so we did.

After settling in at the hotel we wanted to use the loo when you sat on it , it was wobbling after the drama we had trying to find the hotel we didn't want to make a fuss so we ignored it.

So decided to have a walk around the town. We tried to close the door for it to lock and it wouldn't lock. So I told a Carol and she put some WD40 on it immediatly and she told me that she wasn't used to guest using brut force (I hope she was joking?)
We discovered on our walk about that the Shanklin Chine was on their dooorstep. If they had said that ,then they wouldn't of needed to come out to us.
Also we found out in fact there was about twenty steps into the park not 7.
Overall, we had a good stay but we felt that we were being watched and god help us if we didn't wipe our feet. properly and unfortunatly my mum had dyed her hair before we arrived to cover the grey and I was pulled to one side and told to be careful as carol was finding it difficult to get out after a sincere appology and I offered to pay for the towel and Carol did decline my offer this was a embarrassing moment after this Mum and I discussed it and we come to the conclusion that this is the kind of thing that happens in a hotel. We can't help but wonder if the charge was for the towel afterall. I would say this is not the ideal place to stay if you don't travel light and you are arriving on foot .

Finally when it was bill time there was an additional £45. added because we had the bigger room. Well you could have fooled me because we couldn't swing a cat in it. The photos are very deceiving on the website, In addition to this comment when I booked I asked for a double room and confirmed the price with Micheal there was no mention of the extra charge at the time of booking.???

Watch out !, wipe your feet and don't dye your hair you will be fine."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of June 2008

Peace and quite

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"Set in public gardens, away from any roads by some distance, yet a short walk through the gardens down some steps and up a short but steep hill and you are in the middle of the old village.

The only serious noise was a black bird at 4:30 am. A price well worth paying.

Out of the front door, which is kept locked because the hotel is in public gardens, and a few paces you are on the cliff top with views out over the Solent, with plenty of seating.

The hotel is small and does not have many staff but those they do have are some of the best I have come across. The staff numbers are not a problem as a ring on the bell will bring one of the owners who are only to pleased to be of service. Especially getting a cold beer out of the fridge on a warm afternoon to drink in the secluded garden.

All drinks were reasonably priced and the wine list was quite large for the hotel size.

We had a standard room which was fairly small but of a very good standard, even down to a safe. Downstairs there is a small bar, the restaurant and a good sized lounge where coffee is served after dinner and quests entertain themselves. Mike the chief/owner will normaly turn up when finnished in the kitchen.

The food was of a good standard with a choice of 3 starters and 3 main meals. Lots more choice for sweets.

The only criticisim was that on one night my wife did not like any of the starters and no alternative was offered. I have to say however that we did not ask if there were any but felt it should have been picked up by the kitchen that no starter had been ordered.

Overall a very pleasant experiance and will return in the future."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of June 2008

Good place to stay

Reviewed Wed 16th of January 2013

"It's hard to criticise Rylstone Manor.

The setting is great and it's everything you'd expect from a small English hotel. First rate service and great breakfasts. The only niggle I had was being phoned at 10am to ask whether we wanted them to hold on for us before they cleared away the breakfast stuff. It's hardly fair to moan about such great attention to detail is it? Great views from the gardens over the beach and with very easy access to the village and shanklin itself I'd go there again.

Buy a bear too - they're cool."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of May 2008

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"A lovely setting very picturesque! Very comfortable Hotel with friendly hospitality from Carole & Mike. The decor is immaculate throughout with very clean and comfortable rooms. We had a lovely evening meal and the food was of an excellent standard. It has a cozy bar which is great for pre dinner drinks.
An ideal place to stay for your visits to the IOW. Would highly recommend it to those without Children & pets.
Rachel & Simon"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of May 2008

Faultless

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2013

"We stayed at Rylstone Manor to celebrate my 40th birthday and are glad we did.

The house itself is very attractive and although it has its own private gardens to the rear, it is sited at the edge of Rylstone Gardens and so you have the added bonus of looking out over wonderful gardens (if you have one of the East facing rooms). The whole house is well furnished and decorated and in keeping with its age.

Mike and Carole are your hosts and both were very welcoming as were all the staff. Mike is head chef and here we were not disappointed - from breakfast to evening meal, Mike's food was excellent.

Rylstone Manor is not particularly cheap but in my opinion offers value for money when you see what you get. It is a hotel which strikes the right balance between being impressive enough to feel special and welcoming enough not to feel 'snooty'.

I'd like to put some constructive criticism in as well to provide some balance - but I can't as it was all perfect!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of May 2008

Quiet Comfortable Hotel

Reviewed Thu 17th of January 2013

"Rylstone Manor is a small, comfortable, quiet hotel set in parkland close to the sea and Shanklin old village. The food is excellent. We stayed for two nights. Ate once in the hotel, and once in the old town in an Italian called Pavorotti's (also very good). Breakfast also excellent. The hotel has a lounge which is nice for relaxing in, and a well stocked bar !
Staff and owners all very helpful and friendly. This place is just right for a relaxing break."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of April 2008

Hotels near Rylstone Manor Hotel

Top traveller tips for Rylstone Manor Hotel

• Jake j by Jake j

"Don't stay at this hotel "

Rylstone Manor Hotel is also called