The Wight

11 Avenue Road, Sandown PO36 8BN England

Lovely holiday on the I.O.W

Good

"We have just had a very enjoyable week at the Wight Montrene Hotel.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them.
The room was very clean, and this was reflected throughout the hotel.
The menu offered a wide variety of choice, and the portions were very generous.
This was our first visit to this hotel, and it certainly won`t be our last!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

A hidden gem

"Hotel was very comfortable, the staff were very friendly and breakfast was huge. If you go hungry it will be your own fault."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of July 2008

A wonderful place!

Good

"My partner and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff were a friendly lot and Steve played some good music while Alec was good with the harmonica. Though the swimming pool was not as heated as we would have liked it to be, the Jacuzzi made up for it and so did the Steam bath. The location of the hotel is one of its plus points, tucked away from the main road but just a few minutes from the beach. Rooms were neat with a homely decor. Overall, it' s certainly a place we would like to revisit."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

Wonderful place!

"Stayed at the Montrene Hotel with the family for a long weekend. I can honestly say it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in; the food was well-cooked, well-presented, and certainly of ample proportions! There was a huge choice of breakfast items, any permutation was available, ranging from a simple scrambled egg on toast to the Full Monty - and, if one was truly hungry (or just plain greedy!), it was possible to have a Jurassic - which seemed to consist of every item DOUBLED!!
Dinner offered yet more choices, and I can especially recommend the salmon with sauce. Absolutely delicious. Puddings were excellent - again, especially the Spotted Dick and custard, and the apple and apricot tart. The evening pianist playing guests' requests added a nice touch to mealtimes.
The hotel is tucked away from the main street and is (thankfully) very quiet as a result. As a 'singleton' I opted for a single room and, although not huge, it was fine for my needs. The room was spotlessly clean and there was always a supply of makings for tea, coffee or hot chocolate (Suchards, I might add!). The shower cubicle was very clean and my only minor criticism might be that the shower was a bit 'weak' - a power shower would've been nice - but it still did the job.
At the particular time I was there, the other guests consisted of middle-aged couples, younger couples, a few children, wheelchair users, adults with Special Needs, and a gentleman with a guide dog - and, I have to say, that the Management appeared to cater for all their guests' needs.
The leisure facilities were very good, I thought. An indoor pool, jacuzzi , steam room and sauna were in a separate unit away from the main building.
All in all, I had a very good stay at the hotel and would certainly have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2008

I liked it! (suprisingly)

Good

"My family and I stayed at the Wight Montrene for 2 nights. It is a great little hotel and the staff were fantastic. Some people prefer modernised hotels that all look the same but the hotel with it's 50's feel was a real treat. The beauty salon was a bonus, especially since they do a few treatments for the "little princess." It would be better if guests did not have to pay extra for the steam room, jacuzzi etc and the evening meal was not great. But as a couple of 35 year old's who don't take themselves too seriously this hotel was cool and kept us all entertained on two very wet days."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

You get what you pay for!

"My husband and two young children just returned from a short stay at the Wight Montrene Hotel. We booked it based on other tripadvisor.com reviews. I will agree with the other reviews about cleanliness and friendly staff but then we diverge. Stepping into the hotel was like stepping into a time warp. The hotel has not been modernised since the 50's, it looks like! Inside the hotel it is dark and depressing and the average age of other visitors is about 80 years old. The rooms are small and uninspiring. The pool area is okay but you have to pay extra to use the very old jacuzzi. You also have to pay to use their communal computer. The breakfasts were humourous because they consist of a "starter" of either cereal or canned grapefruit. Then if you manage that, you can move on the an english breakfast or continental which consists of oven ready rolls. The hotel wasn't terrible but you certainly get what you pay for!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of June 2008

OUR 'TWIXMAS' BREAK

"The food was reasonable but not enough vegetables - had to ask for extra potatoes at every meal - (my party consisted of 3 adult males and myself). The coffee was awful - I don't know why I kept ordering it so I suppose I should have switched to tea, but I guess I kept hoping it would be better each time! We did feel a little 'rushed' through the courses as if the staff wanted us out so they could clear up and get away. Breakfasts were good. The service was friendly and welcoming. The entertainment was average, nothing special. I do feel that because this was a between Christmas and New Year break, that all the effort and enthusiasm had maybe been put into the Christmas and New Year activities and that the 'twixmas' part was a little 'flat'. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable, but there was no room to swing a cat in the bathroom - very narrow and difficult for me to manage. Also, no shelving to put cosmetics etc. Nice quiet bedrooms, so sleep was good. Nice relaxed informal feel in the dining room which was good, didn't feel you had to 'dress up'. However, that being said, I felt it was inappropriate that young children were allowed to run around freely and barefooted in the dining area! There should be some standards and I feel this was a little too free and easy; apart from the aparent dangers of being barefooted! Having previously read the Wight Montrene's comments on children, I was looking forward to a very strict approach in this area, but I feel this let them down a little. Children were in the bar/lounge and were irritating at times. There should be a separate area for children to go, not in with the adult entertainment, especially after a certain time in the evening. Having done my share of child rearing, I don't want to have to put up with other peoples' on my holiday, especially irritating ones!
Equipment in the games room has seen better days and it felt rather like being in a holiday camp in that area.
However, all in all the break was relaxed and enjoyable. Would we come again? Yes, but I would ask more questions before booking, try to avoid school holidays this time and make sure I had a room with a larger bathroom."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of June 2008

fantastic place

"We have just returned from a fabulous break on the Isle of wight.
Monterene hotel is excellent.
All the staff are really friendly.
This is our second visit to hotel and both times have been lovely.
The food and variety of meals is fantastic.
The service was very efficent.
Leisure facilities are great.
I would reccommend this hotel to anyone with pets as it is extremley pet friendly.
Also it was very family friendly.
All our needs were met and nothing was to much trouble for the staff especially the owners who our really kind and helpful and do everything in their power to make it such an enjoyable ,relaxing holiday. They strive to make it the best and in our opinion it certainley is."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2008

Truly professionals, wonderful service, great stay

"Well - here goes - signif other and I set off for 3 nights at the Montrene. The ferry was fairly crowded, so we thought that most places would be packed. The pier has to be seen to be believed - a real gem with a road made out of planks that jump as the vehicles drive over them - yes cars!

First impressions of our hotel were good, service was friendly, facilities yet to be explored.

Some children looked as if they would spoil the evenings - but after dinner they were nowhere to be seen - probably being read a story by creche organisers.

We dined late most evenings and really enjoyed the local food. Back at the room we settled in and found that TV reception was good, with a wide range of channels - didnt see any disreputable stuff either.

The bathroom was a bit dated, but more than adequate - certainly clean.

The pool scene was quite enjoyable :-) with the pool housed in an airy complex.

We saw that his place wasnt first on TA - so decided to visit the others listed..Well this place should be first!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of May 2008

Superb Wight Montrene Hotel

"Visited Wight Montrene 3 years ago, and it was very good then. This year, we took 3 of the grandchildren for a short break over the Mayday weekend. The owners have made some excellent improvements, and the hotel is now even better. It is ideally situated for the sandy beach (less than 5 minute walk away). There is a large carpark away from the street, and an indoor swimming pool for the days when the beach is not an option. They also have a Snooker room, a Trimnasium, and a Launderette - although I did not have time to try any of these. The food is excellent, and a very hearty breakfast sets you up for the day. The dinner menu is very varied, cooked to perfection, and there is a very good wine cellar to accompany choice of meal. It is really pleasant to eat whilst the resident pianist plays your musical requests.
The staff are very helpful, and obviously happy in their work - they were always smiling and cheerful. We will go back for another short break, hopefully quicker than the last time"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2008

Great Value for Money

"I stayed here for 3 nights with my wife and our 2yr old toddler. The hotel is well positioned for the beach and Sandown town centre but not directly on a road. We drove past several hotels on the roadside and thanked our lucky stars we hadn't booked one of them.
The hotel caters for just about all ages, a slide and some swings for little ones, a pool table, table football and table-tennnis for slightly older children and a snooker table and a few gym machines for teenagers/adults. The evening entertainment is mainly focussed on the older folk with a nice chap on the keyboard.
The swimming pool is great and has a sauna, steam room, hydro pool and solarium. There are opportunities to use these for free at certain times of the day, but have to pay 'out of hours'. Fair enough in my opinion.
We took the DBB option for ease and the standard of service and quality of food was excellent. There is a special children's menu and the staff were happy to accommodate our requests (and those we overheard from other tables).
The rooms were spotlessly clean.
The only downsides were that is does look a bit dated and at times the shower went from freezing to scalding to non-existent.
I mentioned these minor points to the owner on departure - apparently the IOW has a water shortage and so hotels are not allowed power / electric showers and the wall artex costs a fortune to replaster - money that could (and I think has) been spent in other ways. I will definitely go back to this hotel when I next visit the IOW."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

one for the books

"me an mye partner thought that we would book a holiday to te isle of wight and we had two hotels in mind one in shanklin and one in sandown an about one week before we wanted to go we had a last look at them and we made are minds up and when with this hotel and when we got there we just new we made the right choice the staff are all lovley and very help full they have a very lovley pool and very thing kids and perants can do the beach is just a two min walk from the hotel and if u dont drive then the buses are top too. and the thig is that im only 22 and my partner is 36 and we cant wait to go back again the sences are so peaceful and there is lots for familys too do aswell as the older people like myself and partner too. i will be telling all my friends and family all about it all. you must go an see it"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008

Hotels near The Wight

Stayed at The Wight? Share your insight.

The Wight is also called