Very good food.

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"I had a wonderful time at the Yelfs hotel. I went for a buisness dinner and the food was fabulous, the restaurant uses fresh food that has been cooked properly and the staff were helpful and friendly. The building was clean and well presented and there is a conservatory area. We all thought it was good value and I would recommend it."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of February 2009

Unhelpful & Unclean

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"I recently stayed at Yelfs Hotel in August of this year for 2 nights. I do not normally write reviews after staying at Hotels but after the experience of staying at Yelfs Hotel, I would just like to inform other people of my experience.

Upon arriving at Reception I was not greeted, no one was at reception, after waiting a few minutes; I then got greeted by the gentleman who was on the bar who said they would get the Receptionist. The Receptionist came to Reception but seemed bothered and unhelpful.

I was most appalled that I had to pay for my room in full before even being offered to see my room. I asked to see my room first and she gave me the key.

I went up to my room, I will say it was clean and tidy but very old and tired looking. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall; there were stains in the bathroom.

I decided to eat in the bar, the bar staff was pleasant and I ordered my food. It took 25 minutes for my food to arrive and when it did, it was cold. I had to send my food back. After waiting another 15 minutes for my food to return, the Duty Manager was not apologetic.

Breakfast the following morning was a bit better. Service was ok and food was normal.

All in all, I would say that the staff there were most unhelpful. The Management team, in my opinion as a pervious Hotel Manager did not set a good impression. The Hotel in general is very tired looking with staff that have the impression they do not want to be there. If you want to stay in a good Hotel in Ryde I would recommend Ryde Castle, I have stayed there recently and it was fantastic. Yelfs Hotel does not deserve to be a 3* Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of December 2008

Fabulous

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2013

"I have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel. I was slightly concerned having read a previous review.

I think the previous reviewer was staying in a different hotel to me!!!!

The General Manager made us feel extremely welcome on arrival, he had a fabulous personality which obviously explains why I did not see one single member of his staff without a smile on their face.
All the staff went out of their way to be helpful.

The hotel was clean and tidy. The bar area was extremely inviting. Our room was larger than standard and furnished to a high quality.

The breakfast menu, in my opinion, would please 99% of guests, it had a huge variety on it.
Harriet who was working in the breakfast room that morning, was wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble for her to sort.

I have never thought about writing a review on a hotel I have stayed in before, but after reading the total unjust review previously posted, I felt I had to.

In summary Yelf's hotel is one of the nicest place I have stayed in and would highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Very disappointing

Reviewed Mon 4th of February 2013

"A sad hotel in a poor state of repair with despondent and generally unhappy staff. We were not welcomed on arrival and the reception staff were appauled by our request to view the room before full payment for our 2-night stay. The room was grubby and tired looking although the linen and bathroom were clean and the staff clearly made an effort to present the room well. Breakfast was good but again spoilt by unfriendly staff who were off-hand and unhelpful. The location of the hotel was convienient for the ferry port and transport links but I would not recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of August 2008