Great weekend.

Reviewed 9 months ago

"Having booked my stay over the phone with Cheryl ( the assistant manager) , She made it so easy & on Friday when we arrived Cheryl was so helpful again. We find all the staff very friendly. Going to book to stay for Easter with family,"

• Travel date: 1st February 2019

Clean, warm and welcoming

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"Extremely efficient and friendly staff. Clean, warm and comfortable room. Well-cooked English breakfast freshly made to order, (no luke warm bullet-like eggs or frazzled bacon and sausages) with a wide range to choose from. Fair tipping policy - all tips to reception on departure so that back-room staff also benefit."

• Travel date: 12th March 2010

What Great Place To Stay

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"If you have to work away from home then this is the place to stay. The staff were excellent and nothing was too much of a problem. They all made me feel really welcome. The food in both the bar and restaurant was excellent and good value for money. I had a free upgrade as there were a few rooms available, being a Sunday night and found the accommodation to be extremely comfortable and clean. I would definetely reccomend this to any business traveller."

• Travel date: 30th August 2009

Not good value for money

Reviewed 6th March 2013

"With a normal single room rate of £79, I expected quite a bit more from this hotel. I actually paid less than the normal rate, but still felt like I did not get value for money. The greeting was warm and friendly and checking in was quick and easy. From there though, it went down hill. First off all, I was told I would not be staying in the hotel itself, but in their 'other building' which was an un-manned building, which appeared to be converted offices above the shop opposite. This place had rather a 'hostel' type feel to it With pretty high room rates, I expected quite a decent room. The room was actually very bland looking. The coffee cup had been rinsed, rather than washed and there was still tea or coffee in the saucer and on the spoon, which was very sticky for some reason. I was there for 2 days. After the housekeeping staff came on day 2, this remained the case. Being in the busiest street in town for night life, I expected to have double glazing. Instead, it was single glazed wooden sash windows. The one in the bathroom was smashed in one corner and the top part of it would not close. The bathroom door wouldn't close properly, so I had the choice of closing it over and having the draft from the broken window keep opening and closing it, or leave it open and put up with the noise from outside. Speaking of the bath room, a couple of minor things. I was surprised that the windows weren't frosted and the shower, which was pretty powerful, seemed to spray out in every direction possible. The TV was a cheap old portable, which was about 7 feet off of the ground, in a room with a high ceiling and from the bed, the remote wouldn't work, as you needed to stand and hold the remote up in the air to face the TV. There was a cheap alarm clock radio, but neither the alarm nor radio worked. You could book an alarm call by phone if you wished. I would normally expect leaflets about things to do in the area, but instead, there was a note to say that these were available by going back to the main hotel. If you wanted stationary, there was a pad and pencil. On the up side, the bed was very comfortable, so long as you like a soft, springy bed, which I do. I stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night. Breakfast on the Monday was as you would get in most hotels and was fine. However, Sunday morning, was a joke! At weekends, they have a buffet breakfast, where you simply help yourself. When I arrived, there was nowhere to sit as all the tables were left with dirty plates etc on them. I had to wait for a table to be cleared and re-set. There was a box to put empty cereal boxes in, which was full to overflowing, with empty boxes strewn all over the floor. The person in front of me took the last piece of bacon (which I didn't want) and the last bit of scrambled egg (which I was happy to do without) but I noticed that these hadn't been replenished by the time I finished my breakfast. Also, as I moved from one course to another, it was noticeable that none of my plates / bowls were cleared away. All in all, the breakfast room looked like a rubbish tip! This was in contrast to the following morning, when it looked as it should. I raised many of the above concerns when I checked out and they were noted down on a piece of note paper and I was advised to call before coming next time and let them know what had happened and they would ensure I got a different room. I don't ask for refunds, but to be honest, in this case, it might have been good customer service to have at least offered a partial refund, but no such offer was made. I was just thanked for pointing out all of the problems. I believe in getting value for money. If I stay in a £20 bed and breakfast, I expect little more than a clean room to get my head down. If I stay in a hotel that charges £79 for a single room, I expect something a little better! There is no way I got value for money!"

• Travel date: 12th August 2009

Don't rely on first impressions.

Reviewed 6th March 2013

"The bar service and breakfast was very good. The room however was well below the 3 star it pretends to be. The room smelt musty and the inside of the curtains were badly stained yellow probably due to condensation. The extractor fan did not work this could have been why the smell and the staining occurred. These problems were told to the duty Manager but got the impression that he was not interested. Location was excellent and close to all ammenieties."

• Travel date: 4th August 2009

A great old-fashioned seafront hotel - but the noise!

Reviewed 18th March 2013

"A great typical seafront hotel set ina very busy main street in Ryde. Has all the best bits about this type of hotel, creaky floors, wonky stairs, slightly faded gentility but doing it's best to provide better service and facilities. A little dusty in places - but only a problem if you really looked (The 'Hotel Inspector' has a lot to answer for). Car parking is across the road, through the hotel annex. We had breakfast on two mornings on the first morning it was buffet style and well presented with plenty of choice and amounts. On the second day it was waitress served and my wife asked for tomatoes on toast. The two halves of toamto served on a huge plate and decorated with parsley looked good but meagre. Our only real problem was the noise from outside. One of the horrrible consequences of the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants is the number of people who congregate on the street. Witha a couple of bars in close proximity it did get very noisy until about 11pm. Apart from that, it was all fine, if a bit pricey at £94 per night!"

• Travel date: 12th July 2009

Spacious Rooms in a Good Location

Reviewed 24th February 2013

"Be careful when booking rooms online, make sure you double check the dates. Even the most dilligent of travellers can easily make a mistake, as we did. We booked this hotel spare of the moment and when we arrived, they could not find our reservation. Luckily they had available rooms but we were so exhausted, we forgot that we had already paid for the rooms, and paid twice. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the bar downstairs is quite quaint and a good ol' english pub. The bad thing about this hotal is that our room was about 3 km away fromt the reception. ok maybe not 3 km, but it was a fair way and lots of stairs and walkways which made it interesting. The breakfast was a buffet adn was one of the best we'd had on our stay in england so far. There something for everyone. The location was quite good, it was right in the centre of Ryde and there were restaurants and shops lining the street all the way down to the waterfront. Overall good for an overnighter."

• Travel date: 7th June 2009

Budget accomodation at 4 star prices

Reviewed 7th March 2013

"Stayed at this hotel last night, but never again. Doggy doo up the stairs to the rooms on the first floor (which was there untill I left in the morning) when I got in the room I found the Carpet was stained and cigarette burned, Bed Matress was ancient fitted with a yellow stained protector, this then covered with an old blanket and on top of that a fitted sheet. room smelled of bad breath and body odour of previous guest (as the windows were painted shut , so probably never opened before to air the room) The Bathroom was miniscule and had hairs in the sink. I complained to the assistant manager but he said that he had no better room to offer me. went out of the hotel for something to eat in the evening, returned to the hotel at 11 oclock for a drink but found the bar closed and staff refused to serv us with any alcahol. Would not reccoment this hotel to anyone (except the homeless) Would rather stay at the salvation army hostal than stay here again. 1 out 10"

• Travel date: 29th May 2009

Better than I expected but it has flaws...

Reviewed 1st March 2013

"I was not sure what I was going to get prior to arriving at Yelfs, but it was better than I expected. The greeting from staff at check -in was excellent. They were very friendly and helpful. Our room was in the annex across the road. The room was quite large and seemed generally very clean. On first glance I was quite happy with it, however there were a few flaws which let it down. The bathroom was clean and they even had good quaity toilet paper but the showerhead was covered in limescale and looked quite unattractive - it just needed a good scrub. Secondly, the bed was terrible. The mattress was so soft you could almost feel the base below. When 2 people lay on it, you both rolled towards the middle, making for an uncomfortable night. The other major issue was the noise from the street. Even though we were in the annex you could hear the bust Saturday night street until around 3am. People screaming and cars racing down the street. I guess it was slightly quieter than in the main hotel, but still it did not help to get a good night sleep. Combined with the bad mattress, I did not sleep well. On a positive note, the breakfast was fantastic. Excellent choice and very good quality products. Again, the staff at breakfast were exceptionally friendly. To sum up the stay. I did like the hotel and the staff were great. The rooms were ok but were let down by the bed itself. If the bed was replaced, I would probably return to Yelfs without too much hesitation. The location is great and aside from the bed it was all pretty good."

• Travel date: 27th April 2009

Location good, Customer service excellent, rooms poor

Reviewed 26th February 2013

"I booked this hotel via Laterooms and got a rate of £70 per night (B&B), less that the published £89. I still think this rate is too high. The location of the hotel is excellent and the customer service was very good. You are on the main street, there are plenty of pubs and restaurants within a very short distance. The main bus station is at the bottom of the road, by the beach/esplanade. There is free parking close by (not secure). The rooms have TV, tea/coffee, toiletries, hairdryer. I had booked a twin room but when we arrived they had a double room reserved for us but offered to change it to the only twin the had left which was the disabled room. This room was not in the main hotel but they have a separate building across the road. The room was on the ground floor but the window catches were broken so we were unable to secure the windows (of indeed close them properly). When we asked to change they did so without hesitate and were very apologetic, they then gave us a double room in the same building upstairs. This room had a separate kitchen. Sounds good, but it actually seemed like we were staying in a bedsit. Overall the room was dirty, the bathroom floor, especially the corners were very dirty, as was the shower cubicle. The shower didnt function very well either with poor water pressure. The cover on the bed was stained, and behind the dressing table was very dusty/dirty. The breakfast was very good the first day, you could choose various cooked options (full english, kippers, haddock, smoked salmon) and help yourself to yoghurts and pastries (no fruit), cerials, fruit juice, but the second day it was help yourself buffet style (bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom), and the menus had disappeared. We didnt eat in the restaurant but the menu looked very good and reasonably priced."

• Travel date: 27th April 2009

Reviewed 1st March 2013

"Stayed here for 2 nights over Easter bank holiday booked direct via there website at £89 per night bed and breakfast. The location is perfect right in the middle of the town 2 mins to the beech front. The public areas, bar, restaurant, little coffee shop, conservatory area are excellent well maintained, designed, good condition etc but the bedrooms let it down they are slightly worn the bathroom was in need of replacement paint peeling of the ceiling above the shower nice to look up at, the floor was coming away from the sides, bath very tired. The room was reasonable clean depends how picky you are was dust on lampshades and bed obviously wasn't pulled out very often, talking of the bed extremely uncomfortble could feel springs and you rolled into the middle, bedding had the horrible blankets on that you know only get a wash every so often. The room size was great had a small seating area with a table away from the bed handy dressing table and stool. We were in room 19 which is on the front which was very noisey up till about 2.30am heard all the local bars noise/shouting. Room was very hot would hate to be in there mid summer. Car parking is on the next street which you can cut through to via an annex building the hotel has with more bedrooms in they give you a key number for all the doors in and around the hotel. Breakfast was excellent very good choice, bar food was also excellent. Staff were good polite and helpful. When checking in reception was unmanned and waited ages for someone to appear looks like staff man the reception, bar and coffee shop. Ok hotel nothing fancy very much a coastal bed and breakfast with a few extras after looking on here seemed the best in the area, probably would stay again but not at that price not worth £89 a night more £50 would be exceptable."

• Travel date: 16th April 2009

Better than I was expecting for the IOW!

Reviewed 22nd February 2013

"Stayed just one night at Yelf's and got a very good deal through a last minute booking agency. Staff were very friendly and helpful, didn't make a fuss about letting us switch rooms when I'd forgotten to ask for a non-smoking room and we ended up in nicer and larger room on the third floor. Breakfast was really excellent, great sausages! Word of warning for those not familiar with the island though, the hotel is on Ryde's High Street which can be quiet noisy on Friday/Sat night (lots of bars very nearby). It didn't disturb us, but if you want a very quiet stay or are a light sleeper, either ask for rooms off the main road or head further into the country! Yelf's is a great location for being right in town though, walking distance to beach and sea, the fastcat, train, buses and all that Ryde has to offer!"

• Travel date: 1st April 2009