About Royal Esplanade Hotel

• coffee shop amenities
  • telephone
  • kids meals
  • street parking amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • special diet menus
  • board games puzzles

Very Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed Mon 21st of February 2011

"My Husband and I were pleasantly surprised with the Royal Esplanade after the reviews we had read before our National Holiday Trip. We didn't get to know until a week before which hotel we were to be in. After reading some of the reviews on the hotel we were pretty worried about what we were going to find. I a glad we decided to defer judgement until we had experienced it ourselves.The staff at the Hotel were very friendly and informative, The Dining room staff were excellent, as was the food. The choice of menu was different every night and was a good standard. The room was clean and spacious (we were in room 62) the linen was fresh and clean and the showers were piping hot (quite excepional in an old Hotel) The only problem I had was the bed was really hard but you can't please everyone. Also the lift was out of order for 1 1/2 days due to it being overloaded (no fault of the hotel). All in all it was a lovely experience and we would definitely go again. Good value for money and a pleasant holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of February 2011

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"The most disappointing holiday we have ever had, what should have been something pleasureable became an ordeal. We booked with Shearings which wasn't cheap and expected high standards. The first room we were shown in a word smelt! There were big black marks on the carpet, as you opened the window pigeon droppings on the balcony, which was had been there sometime, and the bathroom shower curtain was mouldy, we immediately complained to the manager, who readly gave us another room as he realised how bad it was.

The second room was slightly better, it was a little cleaner, but had no shower which I found difficult.

We went in middle of July and got told that the swimming pool was not open at this time of year, however we went to look at it and it was full of algae, this was why it wasn't open.

Food was poor and sparse, only two squares of butter per breakfast, we were told that the cost of the inclusive breakfast and dinner was £4.00.

Please find a nicer hotel to stay at on the beautiful Isle of Wight."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2009

reasonable

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I was visiting my friends on the IOW (it was their daughter's 5th birthday & I was guest of honour face painter!!) and by anyone's standards, booked rather late in the day. So I was pleased to find they had a room available, albeit for one night.

The cost was reasonable~ they only had a double room, but this was no more than a single.

I took a taxi from the ferry to the hotel whereby the driver greeted me with the comment "You don't look old enough to be staying @ the Esplanade!"

I was allocated Room 36. I received no offer of help with luggage. Otherwise the service was pleasant. A lift is available, but very slow.

On booking, it never dawned on me about the location of the room, but after an exhausting journey I was thankful to be in receipt of a room with a view, overlooking the pier & seafront with double windows. The scenery is what I adore about the IOW and it never disappoints.

I'm 43 yrs old and would say the hotel would appeal more to the older folk. It was busy with coachloads of a certain generation and so is very popular in certain circles.

I'd like to think that when I get older that I would be well catered for when i travel and I think this is what the Esplanade does well."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of June 2009

great deal

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"went by coach for 5 days. room was great sea view. food was very good. hotel clean. staff are no1. entertainment a little tame catered for oldies. buy in all a great holiday with free drink."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of April 2009

Quit moaning!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"What do these people want? I went with Shearings for the first time. I have been in some wonderful Hotels, mostly in the far east, and I paid a lot of money.
Here I paid a reasonable amount for five days, to be driven by coach to and from the IOW, dinner, bed and breakfast, free drinks and entertainment at night, a tour round the island, a boat tour across to, and around, Portsmouth Docks with a short stay in town, a tour of a vineyard and the west part of island, and all with informative drivers. Free newspaper of your choice in the morning. At mealtimes there was a good choice of food, it was wholesome and there was enough. The service was excellent. We even had a lunchtime snack given to us of a drink, fruit and biscuits. Our room WAS small and basic with a poor view. So what? I paid to visit the IOW, not to sit in my room looking out of the window. It was clean, didn't smell and had all that was required.
If you want all of the above, it's about £120 upwards. Amazingly, a fantastic hotel with a view and gourmet meals is going to cost a great deal more."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of February 2009

never again will i go there.

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"this holiday was a my worst night mare in my hole lift i have never
been to a hotel like this one the food was uneatable unless you
was eldle and you like smell amounts as for the value it was not
worth it."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of August 2008

Shearings

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Staff very good Food plenty and very good Entertainment good there could do with a few alterations to the lounge so every one can see the stage and the bar be nearer. The dineing room floor needs to be cleaned every day. But had a good time. Manager is nice!"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

Wonderful Hotel full of charm and a grea...

Reviewed Wed 4th of June 2008

"Wonderful Hotel full of charm and a great atmosphere is provided by all the hardworking staff the french manager and his team are a credit to shearings, we will most definatley be going again, the room wasn't state of the art but for the price it was very good and very clean all our needs were catered for by all, the Isle of wight itself is a beutiful part of the world and this hotel is situated ideally. "

• Travel date: Wed 4th of June 2008

easter weekend

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I went to tthe hotel with shearings who I was using for the first time and I was very pleased with the hotel and the food was EXCELLENT.As a single person I spoke to quite a few on the topur and they were all very pleased with food and service at the hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of March 2008

will not go again

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Not the usual Shearing standard compared to other hotels.
Concert room had a poor layout. Could not see artists on stage. Long trek through dining room to the lounge/bar area.Breakfasts OK but evening meals were of poor quality.Meals on menus not available some days. Chef's specialty of the day appeared to be left over meat dishes of previous day i.e. Curried beef or pork in tomato sauce etc. No dancing just bingo and lengthy quizzes."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of January 2008

great location.

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We went on a Shearings "all inclusive" 5 day tour to this hotel in January 08 and had a really good holiday. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet, not much of a view but for the price paid quite acceptable. The food was good and plentiful with a very reasonanle choice and the service was excellent. The bar staff were also excellent coping with a high demand for "free" drinks admirably.

The hotel was in a great position for public transport links, being just across the road from buses, trains, hovercraft and the pier at the end of which is the fast-cat ferry to Portsmouth. The hotel is on the level promenade and the main ,very steep, shopping street is a few yards away."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Wonderful Hotel right on sea front and d...

Reviewed Fri 7th of July 2006

"Wonderful Hotel right on sea front and directly opposite hovercraft and ferry terminals (also Rail and Bus Station). Very handy for the lovely beach. Great food and service and lovely lounge in which to suit and watch the world go by through very large panoramic windows. Quiet, with an old world charm. Very clean and great service. Would definitely visit again."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of July 2006

Hotels near Royal Esplanade Hotel

Top traveller tips for Royal Esplanade Hotel

• lyn by lyn

"IoW is quaint and very hilly, but enjoyable "