Good

One of the best you'll find on the Isle of Wight. Spa needs some tweaking!

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel while visiting my family for the weekend. The hotel is set on the banks of a pretty creek in Wootton and is a 2 minute drive from the Wightlink ferry in Fishbourne. It is very well located if you are visiting the north of the island as it is half way between Ryde and Cowes. The main accommodation block in a new build and is not disimilar from a a rather posh halls of residence. This doesn't really matter as we really like the rooms that have been decorated tastefully and using high quality fittings and decent Egyptian cotton bedlinen. Our room was at the front of the hotel so you get some countryside and a bit of car park. If you have a lakeside room you get the creek and the forest which is preferable! We only had breakfast which we had in our room, my husband proclaimed it to be one of the best cooked breakfasts he had ever had. I liked my lighter option with some rather nice croissants and local farm yoghurt. We found the staff to be helpful and polite and not overbearing or intrusive which has previously been our experience on the isle of wight. We both had treatments in the spa on Sunday morning which were both very nice. My husband especially liked his hot stone massage and would definitely have that treatment again! The pool in the spa isn't very deep so any serious swimming is a challenge. There is a hot tub and usual steam and sauna. There is also a relaxation area with herbal teas and warm quilts. We resented the £1.00 charge for a towel as we had just come from our room so seemed silly and there weren't any robes availale so my husband and I were walking around in our bathers with a towel wrapped around...Hmmmm. There isn't any product to speak of in the spa showers either...in a 4 star hotel I would at least expect some body wash! Anyway these are kind of minor things that can be easily remedied.
If you are going to the Isle of Wight be warned....the hotels are pretty ghastly by and large and this hotel is the closest thing you'll find to a proper 4 star place. Ignore the locals that have popped in for dinner and are shocked by the prices and feel more at home at the carvery over the road. Typical of islanders who detest anything remotely sophisticated or from 'the mainland'!!!!
We got a good deal of 99.00 with breakfast, the website has some good offers for both hotel and spa. We will be booking again next time we're on the island. Recommended."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of December 2009

Nice quiet location, good food, friendly and helpful staff

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"We have stayed on two occasions now and have enjoyed both our visits. Hotel is in a lovely spot by the lake, very quiet and the rooms are spacious having everything you would expect in a 4 star hotel. We received excellent service from the staff and enjoyed our evening meals in the brasserie and the breakfasts were also good."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of November 2009

Good hotel if a little bland

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Stayed here for one night on business (booked through LateRooms) and was reasonably impressed.
- Easy to find straight off the Portsmouth ferry.
- Large car park
- Lovely location overlooking the local lake/sea inlet
- Large airy public rooms and corridors although the seeminglymiles of white PvC gave it a bland clinical feel.
- Generally well appointed furnishings (all relatively new of course as the hotel is a recent new build) but the wavy line carpets everywhere gave it a bit of a bland corporate feel)
- Staff were helpful, friendly and reasonably attentive. Nothing special but then nothing to fault either.
- Rooms were very nice if a touch cramped but very well equipped and designed.
- Nice large spotlessly clean bathrooms with good quality large showers.
- Dining room was very large and airy (miles of glass and that white PvC stuff again) but great views across the sealake.
- Large area of outside decking actually over the water which must begreat for drinks and eating out in summer.
- Good food (nouvelle cuisine style) in the restaurant.
As we only stayed one night we didn't have time to use the other facilities but all in all it was a perfectly enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of September 2009

Excellent food and wonderful staff

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"We booked this hotel as we were arriving late off the ferry and just needed somewhere to put our heads for the night. The hotel was very convienient for the ferry although I am not sure that there is much else to do around there. On arrival the hotel looked lovely, yes it is a very modern building, but the grounds are beautiful with decking and gazebos overlooking the lake.

On arrival reception were very friendly, however when we got to our room there was only a double bed rather than twins that we had specifically requested. On phoning reception it became aparant that there were no twins left and they had our request for a twin room. I have to say that the duty manager came to see us and offered us a number of solutions to which we were very happy with. Yes they should have got it right in the first place, but they went out of their way to make up for it.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was fantastic. The staff were again very friendly and helpful when deciding on what to eat. I would definately recomend eating at the restaurant.

The following day we had a few hours so we made use of the swiming pool and spa. It is quite small but there were not many people there so it was fine. I would definately stay here again if the opportnity came up."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of September 2009

Visited for a meal and was thoroughly impressed

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"I visited Lakeside Park Hotels Restaurant for a meal and was pleasantly surprised with my order of Vegetarian Risotto - every mouthful tasting more delightful than the last. This was followed by the lightest, fluffiest and most heavenly Tiramasu - thank you so much chef. The service was also first-class, at one point I was waited upon by the Hotels owner.

A truly satisfying meal inside such a beautifully situated hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of August 2009

Beautifully presented rooms, fabulous food and relaxing spa in a brand new hotel.

Reviewed Fri 8th of March 2013

"The room was modern yet designed in relaxing muted tones with views overlooking the lake to ensure a comfortable night's sleep. The bathroom was luxuriously modern with a range of quality products. My husband and I stayed the weekend and enjoyed a fantastic four course (but ended up being 10) taster menu on the Saturday night in the fine dining restaurant; the quality of food was outstanding, demonstrating the chef's flare and creativity- a true dining experience! The waiting staff were efficient and knowledgeable about the food. We were so impressed by the standard of food that we booked in for Sunday lunch-offering an excellent choice of starter, main course and dessert, yet very reasonably priced. I also enjoyed a relaxing facial in the spa whilst there, the staff were very friendly and didn't push products like so many other spas. We came away from Lakeside feeling refreshed, relaxed and pampered!"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of August 2009

No star service...a bad hotel.

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on business. While the hotel styles itself as 4 star and is pleasant enough in its decor (although not as good as its staff seem to believe) it is anything but when it comes to service.

The food was uninspiring. Crucially though, it took over an hour between the starter and the main course! It transpired they had lost our order - not that they said that when we asked them after 30 minutes.

Breakfast is supposed to start at 7am. It doesn't. Try 7.30 by the time any hot food comes out.

The reception staff were smiley enough, but were totally incompetent and inexperienced and failed to deal satisfactorily with any number of small requests from our party.

The spa is small and not particularly impressive and the pool is the size of a my bath. Also, why is there no fitness suite?

Finally, the ironing board I borrowed (they don't have irons in the rooms, you have to ask for one from reception) tore a hole in my shirt. I was told by the duty manager, when he finally decided that I was worth the effort to speak to that it wasn't the hotel's responsibility. I wasn't expecting a free night in the hotel, or a replacement shirt but something more than 'not our problem', perhaps, a 'sorry, sir, can we clean and iron another shirt for you or a courtesy drink. And it would have been nice if it was in a tone which didn't imply that the duty manager felt he was superior to his guests (note - you're not, you have a NVQ in Business Tourism and work in a hotel you couldn't afford to stay in) would have been appreciated.

I hope this narrative comes across as objective, I don't believe I was/am being unreasonable or holding too high expectations for a 4 star hotel. Maybe the 10 cars in the car park, the tumbleweeds running through the corridors and the complete lack of guests (I saw 4 others) tells me I'm not."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

Great inside, what about the outside?

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as an alternative to camping at the IoW festival (highly recommended on both counts) and was generally impressed. From the outside the hotel is very bland looking more like a nursing home with lots of parking. Stepping inside, the lobby is modern and functional but could be so much better if they exploited the views and the outdoor space. Our room on the first floor was not large but was very comfortable. The view wasn't great but the decor compensated having an modern opulent feel, lots of rich colours, dark funky wood and crisp white linens. There was plenty of storage so no fighting over the 6 hangers and good tea/coffee facilities, it only lacked a mini-bar (especially as the bar was closed before midnight).Bathroom was great with lots of counter space on the black marble top.

We had breakfast, a couple of meals and afternoon tea in the restaurant, most enjoyed on the terrace. The cooking was a great standard and was very well priced for the quality. We missed breakfast on Sunday and were very disappointed to find that the only option was a fixed price 3 course lunch - we didn't seem to be alone in this as the dining room was almost empty. After much reluctance and annoyance that there was no flexibility on number of courses we went for it and the food was fabulous, likewise their afternoon tea the following day was delicious, with great pastries and great value.

I have one major issue with this hotel which would put me off returning and it's the lack of outside access and facilites near the bedrooms, lobby or even spa. During our stay the weather was great but there was no outdoor space (other than the restaurant) set up to read papers, relax on loungers or generally enjoy the lake and the view. I was amazed that the indoor pool area had NO access to the garden and didn't even have opening windows. When I raised these points at reception they told me that they'd all been mentioned before and my comment card did not receive any follow-up. If it wants to be a competitor in leisure sector I feel that Lakeside Park must address this issue."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of July 2009

Excellent, staff polite and helpful and a good English breakfast!

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"We stayed 3 nights bed and breakfast after securing a late deal discount which made the price reasonable and from our point of view the location was perfect. Situated off the A3054 close to the ferryport of Fishbourne on a tranquil site overlooking a lake away from the seaside resort areas. The hotel is quite new and so as you might expect the furnishing are modern still in good condition, the room was spotlessly clean very well furnished but lacking are two things most hotels around the world provide these days, ironing facilities and a refridgerator! We found this surprising for a hotel of this quality! Spaces are provided for both so perhaps management will get around to installing them at a later date? However the staff could not have been more helpful and were only too willing to supply a bucket of ice.
We preferred to dine out in the evening but we started the day with an excellent full English breakfast provided in a modern restaurant overlooking the lake."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of July 2009

Fabulous, friendly hotel in beautiful surroundings

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"We picked this hotel based on its helpful website and we weren't disappointed. We travelled in half term and were really pleased with the welcome our tow children were given, The rooms are fabulous and the hotel itself is located by a beautiful lake. We ended-up having several meals in the restaurant as the food was just great - my sister, who is vegetarian, was overwhelmed by the effort that the kitchen went to to make her meals - her favourite was a risotto with beetroot. Hoping to come back next half term!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of June 2009

Really enjoyed our stay

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"From check in to check out all of the staff were friendly. Dinner both nights were very nice and we loved pool/spa. Will definately be back."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of May 2009

Great hotel with great service, shame about the awful food

Reviewed Fri 1st of March 2013

"Went with my partner for a last minute romantic get away. We found the Lakeside Park hotel and thought that a hotel with spa would be make a nice romantic break.
The reception staff were very professional and polite and were happy to assist with any requests.
Our room was very luxurious, everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel and equipt with everything you would need for an overnight stay.
We made use of the wonderfull spa facilities, pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.
Unfortunately the only thing to let this hotel down is the restaurant, the food is extremely low quality, overpriced and very small portions, certainly not a 4 star restaurant.
We both ordered sirloin steaks which we requested to be cooked medium, we waited for just over 30 minutes for our meal and when it arrived both steaks were cooked rare and we had to send them back to be cooked some more, when we eventually got our steaks cooked as requested we found they were very tough and gristly, nothing like how sirloin should be . Acompanying our steaks were very very small baskets of chips and a very small ramakin of caulieflower cheese to share. All this cost just under £40! We felt we would have probably had a better meal for much less if we had gone out to one of the local pubs.
Breakfast was included in the price of the room and that too was not really up to the standard one would expect of a 4 star hotel, at best I would describe it as adequate."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of April 2009