Very Friendly Staff

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We arrived at the Claremont during Grand Prix and the hotel is very busy. We were informed upon arrival that we have to move rooms on the 2nd night. Wedidn't mind. On top of that was a very friendly and informative receptionist named Marie (the other receptionists are also friendly). The rooms were okay but can be refurbished as the carpets and sofa have bad stains already...... Buffet Breakfast was extremely good with smiles from the staff everywhere in the hotel. Such a good thing to start a day! We would definitely go back to the Claremont Hotel and hopefully this time, everything is the same (ofcourse aside from moving rooms)."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

Enjoyed ever minute

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"This is a super hotel in all respects in a prime location just minutes from the port and shopping center on the Loch Promenade.Friendly greetings at reception.(Nothing was too much trouble for them)Very Clean and tidy rooms in a quite and secure setting,Outstanding Breakfast selection with dining room overlooking the bay.Morning Newspapers,Nice Bar with comfortable lounge adjoining the restaurant.Small Elevator to all floors....Good secure hotel with many Fire Doors...Highly recommend this hotel whether for vacation or business when visiting the ISLE."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of August 2007

Not bad, not great.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Nice enough hotel. Room a little small. Breakfast was good. General decor was nice. Bloody seagulls woke me up the next day but that's to be expected when you are staying on the promenade. Great location on the prom, walking distance from the ferry port. Overall - ok for the £100 price of a room for the night. I did get a double billing on my credit card which was a little annoying. Trying to sort it out now as I write this review."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

friendly and good value

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We arrived on the monday for four nights, the reception staff was very helpfull and friendly as was all the staff at the hotel. The room was clean and very comfortable. The food was good value for money. We experienced some noise at night from passers by, but nothing excesive. The fire alarm went of on our last night, but the night staff reassured us that there was no emergency, with efficiency and a smile. We will return to this hotel at any time, the staff is a credit to this hotel!!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Not too bad at all

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Stayed here on business in February. Room was clean, shower good and bathroom nicely kitted out. There is an ironing board in the room. The TV reception was a bit rubbish though.

Breakfast was really good - one of everything and service quick and efficient. The bar staff were helpful, even when they were closing the night porter said if we wanted some more drinks then to just give him a shout.

The bar areas have recently been redecorated and are quite trendy and a good place for a chat and a pint.

Despite the other reviews would recommend it, although if I was paying I would try somewhere else first.

Food at the Italian two doors down on the corner was good, although a little overpriced for what it was."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of February 2007

Mixed reception

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Stayed here a week for a conference. My room on 1st floor was comfortable but overlooked air-con plant - however good double glazing kept noise out. Room had obviously rceently been renovated to a high standard so why did it have an ancient broken wooden loo seat and a broken bath surround? Three of five lights did not work until my last night.
Breakfast was excellent and in a fabulous dining room with great views across the bay. If their food here at night is as good should be OK. We had corporate meals, satisfactory but distinctly lacking in imagination (steamed veg and steamed potatoes for six nights!). Special conference dinner was excellent, a welcome change from the "rubber chicken" syndrome, well served and great care by staff. The two lunches we had are best forgotten - thick tasteless sliced bread with minimal fillings. No other goodies except chicken legs one day. Hope the food upstairs is better! Conference rooms under the hotel were good, with full facilities except (oddly) no slide projector and good air conditioning. Chairs a bit uncomfortable though.
However, some of our group had very poor rooms, cramped and airless, yet paid same price. I would suggest that any booking made here is conditional on seeing the room - they do quite reasonably charge a bit more for rooms at the front of the hotel so if you pay the surcharge make sure you get it! And watch your phone bill, phantom charges can appear if you cannot obtain your number for any reason (they tell me it's an inherent fault of the computer, adjusted it as soon as I pointed it out)."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

We recently stayed at the Claremont Hote...

Reviewed Sun 6th of August 2006

"We recently stayed at the Claremont Hotel for a weekend break. On arrival we found that the receptionist was a little rude but to be fair it seemed that she only spoke basic English.

Our room was lovely, spacious and clean with good amenities and a gorgeous en suite bathroom. Unfortunately the maid was only free at times when we were in our room so we didn't have our room cleaned. There was no information in our room regarding the hotel or area, so we had to keep asking at reception for basic information such as breakfast times, et al.

The rest of the public areas where also stylishly decorated to high standards & were very classy.

The buffet breakfast was perfect with a great choice of cereals, dried & fresh fruit, bacon, eggs, beans etc and a brilliant selection of fruit juices. We didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings as it was a little expensive, but we soon realised that eating out in Douglas can be fairly pricey.

We were lucky as we made use of a special offer of a half-price rate, in all we would definitely return to the hotel, although the general room rates are a little pricey. "

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

What a Nightmare!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My girlfriend and I have just spent the night at the Claremont Hotel in Douglas. I can assure you, we will never be going there again!

We booked the night as a special treat to ourselves as we were attending a function at the hotel. When we got to the room, if felt like a sauna it was so hot and there was no air-conditioning. We asked at reception about getting a fan, but the last one they had was broken and almost electrocuted me when I plugged it in. I ended up having to go into town and buy my own fan because the heat in the room was unbearable.

I called room service and ordered some water as it was so warm and over half an hour later we still hadn’t received any. When we wanted to take a shower I discovered that there was only one towel and we had to chase up reception for another as well as the water we ordered half an hour before.

When we returned to our room after our function, we placed an order for breakfast in our room for 09:30 the following morning, by 10:00 it still had not arrived. Once again we had to phone reception, this time to replace our ‘lost’ order.

The final straw was on checking out when I asked what type of room we had been given (the extra facilities advertised for executive rooms had not provided in our small room). I was told it was a standard room; we had booked and were charged for an executive room.

This was an altogether ghastly experience."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of July 2006

A great place to stay

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I stay on the island regularly and this is the best I've visited, good value for money and the coast bar (new since my last visit) serves a fantastic lunch. I met my clients there and they were impressed too!"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of May 2005

Not what you would expect.....

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I have just had the pleasure of inspecting the rooms and the facilities at the Claremont on Douglas Promenade and was pleasantly impressed with the modern décor and the high standard of the rooms. I would have no problem recommending this hotel. A very nice three star indeed.

The only down side is the expensive of the food and drinks, but as they are located close to the main shopping area it is easy to go elsewhere."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of April 2005