About Sefton Hotel

• massage
  • polish amenities
  • indoor pool
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site

Good

Great Location, Great Pool !!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Sefton for one night on Friday, 6th of July. We live on the Isle of Man so do not really stay in local hotels. However, I must admit it was the best of the ones I have stayed in (others are Hilton, Empress and Grand Island).

The room was spacious and clean. The bed I found comfortable and the breakfast really good.

My only real criticism is that the service in the Sir Norman's bar was very slow. Other than that, a great stay."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2007

Fabulous Hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I had my wedding at the Sefton Hotel.
The day was absolutley amazing, the hotel, service & staff were fabulous.
Everybody enjoyed the atmosphere & food set for the day.
We hired all the bedrooms overlooking the atrium for guests & nobody faulted the rooms.
Breakfast was a buffet with everything you could think of to eat.
By far the nicest hotel on the Island."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of June 2007

Nothing was too much trouble

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Haydock Male Voice Choir
We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel which was a totally enjoyable experience for everybody in the 92 strong party.

The reception staff were efficient and friendly at all times.

The bedrooms were modern, beautifully decorated, clean, comfortable and very well equipped. Atrium rooms had the unusual benefit that they had individual balconies (with chairs) overlooking "real" trees and shrubs which gave a very continental or summer holiday feel. Seaview rooms had a magnificent view over Douglas Bay. Housekeeping was thorough and unobtrusive.

We had booked on a half-board basis and were treated to breakfast buffets literally groaning with a huge range of choices - both traditional "Full English" and "Continental" or Both!. Absolutely no need to worry about lunch, so tempting and filling, were the breakfast choices. For our four 3 course dinners (with coffee), we were stunned by the quality and choices offered. The catering and dining room staff presented us with a (pre-selected) sit down dinner on the one occasion when we were not rushing out to perform a concert. On one other occasion, for speed of service, we were offered a "mirrored buffet" which allowed self selection from both sides of two identical buffet tables. Two other evenings featured "carvery" meals which proved very popular. Service again was both efficient and friendly.

If there was some slight criticism, I would say that the prices of drinks were considerably higher than anticipated. However, for a hotel of this quality perhaps it was justified. That said, the bar staff, of whom there were many, did an excellent job of serving us all quickly when we returned (really thirsty) to the hotel.

My overall impression was of an extremely well run hotel with an obviously calm atmosphere which helped the enjoyment of our short but otherwise busy, break. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff of this hotel. Minor niggles, of which there few, were dealt with quickly and cheerfully.

I would like to congratulate General Manager, David Woodiwiss
on creating the atmosphere which allowed his staff to show their professionalism. A particular mention to Conference Organiser, Naomi Finch and deputy, Emma Barnes for ensuring that everything ran smoothly and it did!"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

I stayed at the Sefton hotel on the prom...

Reviewed Thu 15th of March 2007

"I stayed at the Sefton hotel on the promenade in Isle of Man on business. Wow is all I can say about this hotel.

The rooms are beautifully decorated as is the whole hotel.

The staff are lovely and more than willing to help with any problems or queries one may have-although I had none I must say.

I had my meals at this hotel and again ten out of ten for the food!! The chef is fantastic, the food piping hot, tasted excellent and looked good too.

There was an excellent choice of wines too to make my meal more enjoyable!

The hotel is situated on the prom with lovely views out to sea; it is 5mins from the centre of town (Douglas) so easy to get out and about.

The Isle of Man is a lovely place and I hope you all enjoy visiting the place soon."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of March 2007

Great rooms!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We had a 3 night break at this hotel in February. We had an atrium room which was huge and very well appointed. Despite reading reviews about the uncomfortable beds, ours was very comfortable. Breakfast was a buffet style with a good choice of cooked items. We didn't eat here in the evening as it was very expensive. Be warned-the car park is tiny!!"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of February 2007

Suffered for days with back pain

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"I attended a wedding at this hotel which was fabulous but I must say that our room that ovelooked the atrium had a bed that was so uncomfortable to sleep on I dont think that I will ever return."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Not for those with bad backs

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I have stayed at the Sefton many times, and have quite a bit of experience of other hotels on the Island. It is arguably the second best hotel in Douglas - the best is unquestionably the Regency (if you can get in). The Sefton is generally good all round. BUT, BE WARNED - it has the hardest and most uncomfortable beds in the Western Hemisphere.

Oh, and they just started charging for what used to be a free wireless Internet service - always a retrograde sign in my book.

Always ask for an atrium room....much nicer than those in the old building facing the promenade."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of February 2006

Basic stuff

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"I have stayed at the Sefton a number of times recently and offer some balance and perspective on previous glowing reviews.

Style / Appearence - interesting internal winter garden / atrium , although its always been dark or overcast when I've been there.

Dining - there seems to be little choice for an evening meal, other than the main restaurant which seems to be aspiring to culinary status ( fine... but not what you want all the time). I thought food in the main restaurant was pricey, even by London standards. The basic room service was underwhelming.

Atmosphere - It may be to some tastes but breakfast in the main dining room with Terry Wogan rattling on in the background, was not for me.

Service - I felt it can be a little abrupt, but I am sure, was reasonably intentioned.

Decor - The common parts of the hotel beyond the front lobby/main restaurant seemed tired, particularly the lifts / corridors around the rooms. Feels a bit institutional.

Ok, for a seaside hotel in provincial UK ( and what you might expect perhaps standards wise), but I think some basic stuff could be better delivered.

This is certainly no boutique hotel, as might be appreciated by Conde Nasters or Hip Hotelers, but may be it is not trying to be that."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of December 2005

The right choice

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Reaching the Sefton was a relief, having passed other "high class" hotels en route, wondering how they had achieved such a rating.

The building appeared well maintained both externally and internally, the welcome seemed genuine, the staff were attentive without being intrusive, the rooms (sea view with bay window) and bathrooms were excellent, the facilities were generous but above all, the restaurant food was superb!

One cannot imagine staying anywhere else on the island.

The nearby golf club (not the easiest place to find) offers a similar standard of cuisine and matching service.

The Island benefits from what appears to be a magnificent hospital and construction investment is making a notable mark, most of it commendable. However, many areas appear sadly neglected and in need of a makeover."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of October 2005

The best place to stay

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"I have been visiting my family on the Isle of Man for 22 years and it is like going home from home, but the newly designed Sefton hotel makes my visits just that bit more appealing.
The Hotel is immaculate and keeps to very high standards. Its situated looking over Douglas Harbour and is perfect to stay in if you want to be in the middle of everything but is also pefect for the couples who just want to enjoy the relaxed pace of life the Island has to offer. The rooms include all the ammenities you could wish for and are large in size. Pricing is fair and the food is lovely.
If you are planning to travel to the Isalnd, you will not go wrong in choosing the Sefton to stay in!!"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of February 2005

Best Hotel on the Island?

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Having stayed at The Sefton on numerous occasions, it is always a pleasure to return to this hotel. Having stayed in many 'tired' hotels on the island (and there are a fair few), I knew that after staying at the Sefton it would take some beating. It is one of the more expensive hotels on the island, but I do believe you only get what you pay for, and here it is worth it.
The hotel is centrally situated in the capital of Douglas, adjacent to the sea and next door to the island's Gaiety Theatre. The island's main shopping street is also within walking distance. There is a car park in the basement of the hotel which is very handy as parking can be difficult around the area.
Inside the hotel I have always found both the bedrooms and communal areas to feel clean, crisp and tidy on the occasions that I've stayed, and the service from the staff always courteous. The rooms are well equipped with good quality fixtures and fittings, and include all the usual things you would expect from a 4 star hotel.
There is an atrium garden within the hotel and some of the bedrooms have balconies that overlook the garden, which is a lovely feature.
My only criticism is with the restaurant that serves evening meals. I found the menu choice to be quite limited, the portion sizes too small and although the food was good quality, I did not think it was value for money.
The breakfasts, however, are not disappointing. Other than coffee/tea and toast, it's self service so you can eat as much or as little as you like. The food is good quality and the choice is excellent.
There is also a room service menu which is handy, because finding somewhere to eat, particularly in the evening and especially in winter months can be tiresome in the Isle of Man if you don't have your own cooking facilities.
Overall, I think The Sefton is a quality hotel and is well worth a visit."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of September 2004