The famous Douglas horse trams running by the Regency entrance

Good
Good

it was ok - but not great

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"I first became a little worried about this hotel when I emailed them for availability. I received 2 emails back from the hotel from 2 different staff members, one offering me only the expensive rooms (implying that the basic ones were unavailable), and the other offering any type of room. I suspected at this point that it was an attempt to get as much money as possible from me, especially as when I did actually arrive, the hotel seemed very quiet. The reception area of the hotel, the bar, and the restaurarant are pleasant enough. This gives the impression that the rooms will be equally lovely. Unfortunately our room was at the back of the hotel, had no outlook whatsoever. The room was very small with cheap pine furniture and a very small bed. The bathroom was nice. The rooms have free internet, soft drinks and DVD's which is nice. The entire hotel, despite no heating on, was stifling, and we were unable to sleep. I can't imagine what it would be like in the summer. The breakfast was very good. The staff are luke warm. The ambience in the bar and restaurant is extrememly stuffy."

• Travel date: 30th April 2007

GREAT Hotel

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Cannot say enough for this hotel, me and my boyfriend stayed here and it was a pleasure from start to end. When I emailed to reserve a room I was told we were being given an upgrade to a two bedroomed suite, when we arrived the staff were watching out of the window and had everything ready for our arrival, we reserved a table for dinner and were treated to a wonderful meal with beautifully prepared and presented food, the service from every member of staff is definately to be commended. The room was beautiful with a CD player, free Internet, big bathroom, free softdrinks and a TV the size of a small cinema. Everything was thought about for us, opera Cd's were left by the stereo and a list of DVDs available to rent for free down at reception was provided. In the morning we were given a free paper of our choice and instead of your usual hotel buffet that had been sat under a hot lamp and was under or over cooked, breakfast was freshly cooked to order with crispy bacon and soft scrambled eggs, sausages and all the trimmings. Staying here was an absolute delight and I will definitely be back."

• Travel date: 12th March 2007

Great Hotel

Reviewed 15th September 2006

"Just returned from a business trip to the IOM, and stayed at the Regency. Can't say enough about the hotel and staff. Highly recommend it for anyone lucky enough to be visiting the IOM. Hope to be able to return soon!"

• Travel date: 15th September 2006

My favourite hotel

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"This hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms, particularly those with a sea view are incredible, lots of space, free internet connection and the bathrooms are palatial and cleaned perfectly every day. The view of the promenade and the sea in the morning are great and the food in the restaurant is sublime, if a little pricey. Breakfast is unfortunately not a buffet but good nevertheless. The value for money here for the rooms is unbeatable."

• Travel date: 19th August 2006

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"Stayed at this Hotel on many occasions and even chose to have our Wedding Reception here. It is primarily a business hotel during the week but, at the weekend, becomes a quiet, luxury retreat for those looking for that little bit of extra comfort. Even the smallest, cheapest rooms are a cut above the rest and the Presidential Suite is by far and away the best hotel room on the Isle of Man. The bathroom is rumoured to have cost over £20,000 and the Hi-Fi and TV are Bang & Olufsen! The staff are superbly friendly, the Hotel runs a shuttle service into town during the week, all rooms come with a broadband enabled PC (with no extra charge for use) and the public areas are all olde-worldy with some amazing piece's of artwork (including several originals by verious Manx masters). Do watch out for the lift if you are in a wheel-chair or a wedding dress. It's very narrow. However, the highlight of this Hotel is the resteraunt. If you are fortunate enough to have eaten better food than this before, then I want to know where. It is quite simply the best food I have ever tasted and all served by staff who actually know about the food and wine available and can advise you if you ask. If you are visiting the Island on either business or for pleasure please do yourself a favour and stay here (or, if you can't afford it or want to stay in the South, go to the Ocean Castle in Port Erin). Certainly avoid the Hilton and Mount Murray!"

• Travel date: 27th July 2005