Best Western Palace Hotel & Casino

• casino

Good

Passable but not wonderful

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Perhaps my most lasting impression of this place came from locals' reactions when we told them where our company had booked us. "Oh, I'm sorry, why there? Just don't eat the food..." was par for the course. In a town of elegant old hotels on the promenade, this is a 60s monster with no character, trashy casino, tiny rooms, mediocre service, etc. That said, it's pretty cheap so I have to say you get what you pay for. Pluses: it may be further down and not as pretty as the others, but it's still on the seafront. That's nice for walking places, morning jogs, etc. Also the fitness center was a plus for a morning swim or workout. When IOM is packed it may be hard getting a room anywhere, in which case you could do worse. When IOM is empty much of the rest of the time, you can almost certainly do better."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of May 2011

good value for the £65.00 a night room deal

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We didnt eat here, but rooms were clean, facing seaview, everything working, plenty of tea coffee, biscuits and ironing board and iron.

Personally i loved the gym and swimming pool, and our party used it several times in the two nights we were here. Dont forget a pound for the locker! Jacuzzi lovely too, goes off but automatically comes back on again six minutes later!!

Lovely sea views from the pool, great !"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of May 2011

DIrty, Depressing, Disgusting

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"I stayed for 2 nights on Business. The room was very tired, unpleasant and not clean enough, bathroom was filthy and poorly equipped. Bedlinen though it looked clean was unpleasant smelling.
The sea view is beautiful and the hotel is excellently placed right in the middle of Douglas and it's promenade, but that was the only real positive I could give.
Restaurant was reasonable, breakfast was fine but dinner while plentiful just ok and very 1980's food style.
The Bar downstairs was horrible, the ladies toilets would not be acceptable in a central London tube station never mind a supposed 4Star hotel. The clientele was very suspect too with a collection of dirty old men and Chavs and the service was absolutely terrible. This is not the place for a single woman to relax after a stressful day.
There seems to be another 4 or 5 major hotels on the same promenade, next time I have to go back I will be looking at possibly Sefton or the Claremont. I would not stay here again if it was free."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of April 2011

Excellent staff and superb food

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Having stayed at many hotels on the Isle of Man, I have now found the best. The rooms although not "boutique"were clean and a decent size for a hotel bedroom. The room had a spectacular view over the bay with very limited noise from the street below, which was a bonus having stayed at far noiser hotels along the sea front.

The healthclub facilities were excellent with a lovely poolside cafe, which was very relaxing after a workout in the gym, The cafe staff were chatty and always helpful,l and very welcoming to children at all times.

The main resteraunt was a delight with lovely sea view tables, and an excellent choice of food and drinks. I am a vegetarian and asked if I could have a slightly different choice to the menu option, which was no problem at all. The head chef even came out to talk to me, and made sure I was completley happy with my meal. You dont get service like that very often! Well done!

The only downside to the hotel is the back of it, as it needs some sort of screening to seperate the car bark from the back workings of the kitchens, especially as the main enterance to the hotel is situated there, but that wouldn't put me off staying there at all.

All in all we had a lovely stay at The Palace, and would not hesitate to book again in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of April 2011

Spectacularly dreadful

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Having just read the preceding five reviews I am driven to share my sad experiences in this hotel.

The common factor in all these contributions is that each stayed in the sea view rooms and as worn and out-dated as they are they are luxury compared to the rooms on the other side of each floor. These rooms redefine poky, in fact if you are claustrophobic you would suffer here. The view over the car park and the site of the long-demolished Lido is poor and the stuffy rooms (central heating locked on even in the summer) require the window stay open to its fullest extent, which is about two inches. This allows the smoke and rows of the nocturnal clientele to rage in without restriction. You shall not sleep until they go home at 4:00am.

The staff in the restaurant were quite good but they menu is very boring and predictable with a wine list to match. Despite this the restaurant is busy.

The much publicised spa is managed by tyrannical attendants who constantly interfere to enforce petty rules that are not even being infringed so you will get no time to yourself. Quite like school.

The reception staff drag the overall average up considerably. They are cheerful, polite and extremely well-informed and determined to help to the full extent of their authority. It was really pleasant to meet them and deal with them.

There couldn't be many worse hotels in the world than this which is no longer a Hilton. No surprise in that, but it would be lovely if it attended to its shortcomings."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of April 2011

Excellent hotel and staff.

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Stayed here for 6 nights for my first trip to IOM.

The hotel is well placed with great views of Douglas Bay. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed. The bathroom was bright and fresh and the shower powerful. Toiletries provided were good (Crabtree & Evelyn) and I had a bathrobe provided by housekeeping which was useful during my stay.

Was great to have a balcony with such wonderful views of the bay and headland. The balcony is just wide enough for a couple of chairs or to stand and admire the view.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and accomodating, nothing was too much trouble and service was efficient. Breakfast was a good choice of options and again the staff were very attentive and quick to keep everything running smoothly. Very large windows provided a bright and picturesque view of the bay whilst eating.

We ate at The Paragon Bar on a couple of evenings and we really enjoyed the steak burger and chips which we just about managed to finish as it was such a large meal.

I had a great first holiday on the IOM and would stay at The Palace Hotel again, parking is easy with the car park at the rear and the hotel is so comfortable and in a great position with attentive staff."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2011

Room ok - restaurant rubbish!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I booked the hotel as a rare 'kid free' night out for me and my husband. They were offering a good room and meal deal so we opted for that. The room was ok, could do with updating and the extra we paid for the sea view wasn't worth it. There is a sign on the patio window stating that you should always lock the doors at night for your own safety. Tried locking the sliding doors - nothing happened. Turned out that although there was a key to the doors there was not actually a lock fitted. Good job we were on the 4th floor! Went down to enjoy our carvery meal. I may be wrong but my idea of a carvery was a good selection of hot meats, salads, vegetables etc etc. It actually consisted of roast beef and yorkshire pudding, some limp looking veg and that was about it! We were after a nice romantic meal and not a sunday lunch! Opted to choose from the main menu - not much better. The starters (chicken and rocket salad and fish mouse) both looked and tasted as if they came out of a packet. My partners ciabatta was rock solid. Mains, both opted for steak. Husbands was way over done (he had asked for rare to blue), mine was ok. The portabello mushrooms that were meant to accompany the steaks were actually tiny button mushrooms. Husband sent his straight back (and he never complains!) - the waiter was lovely and apologised and brought another steak out which my husband said was cooked perfectly. My thick cut chips were overdone and some of them were black in the middle. Spent a few hours in the Casino which we really enjoyed. Would like to say that all of the staff we met were lovely, just a shame the actual hotel and restaurant lets it down. It's a shame as the Palace used to be the 'In' place to go years ago and it's gone downhill in my estimation."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of March 2011

Do Not stay here

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I have the unfortunate luck of being placed here to stay for 12 weeks from January - April 2010. The food id terrible, they only change the menu on a Friday and even at that the food is hardly ever edible. Room service is ridiculous food is always cold, and one example i was served soup with a knife and fork??

The staff are either really dopey or lazy, you have to try and grab them in the mornings in order to get your breakfast, and the toast is ALWAYS cold. you are lucky if both sides have even been toasted.

I had to ask after 2 weeks to have my bedding changed, the only reason i waited so long was total disbelief it was not being done. The rooms are ok the view is probably the best thing about the room.

The hotel decor is really dated and in desperate need of a revamp, i could go on and on but i do not have enough hours in the day, so my advice to you would be to STAY WELL CLEAR it is certainly no Palace!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of March 2011

Pleasant stay on the prom

Good
Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Stayed here whilst it was still a Hilton. Good value for a peak time (TT fortnight), everything that you needed in the room, in an unremarkable but perfectly fine way. Room was not huge but had space enough, great views of the beach, balcony a juliette type - ie no room to sit! But great to look out and enjoy the sea air.

Swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room all very pleasant too.

Good location for Douglas life and easy parking too."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of January 2011

Hi I stayed 2 nights at the Hilton in th...

Reviewed Thu 1st of February 2007

"Hi I stayed 2 nights at the Hilton in the Isle of Man.

All I can say is that I will be coming back here. The Isle of Man is a wonderful place to visit and this hotel is bang in the middle of everything you could wish to do.

It overlooks the sea as it is on the promenade and five minute walk to the main shopping area strand street.

The hotel itself is lovely, colours bar downstairs open till 3am with a disco, live sports and a friendly atmosphere. The locals are lovely people too. There is a casino, bingo (gala) and other bars that have live music or peace for a meal.

Outside, there is a bus station that will take you all over the island.

Try the Calf of Man for sights such as bird watching or up to Peel to see the castle and here you will see seals close up.

I went to Chilis, an Indian restaurant five mins from hotel to the right. Fab food, reasonable prices and lovely restaurant.

Overall this was a great holiday break and as I said earlier, I will be coming back and will be staying at the Hilton."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007