About Ascot Hotel

• fax photocopying
  • polish amenities
  • street parking amenities

Good

Average overall but some problems

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Overall the hotel is average. Rooms are large but the smoking room can be better ventilated - it reeks of cigarette smoke.

Service is quite friendly and courteous and check in and chek out was pleasant. Bathrooms are good and have the whirlpool bath as advertised. Breakfast was sumptuous and more than adequate.

But they slipped a bit - the menu clearly says that dinner is served till 9:15. I landed up at 8:55 hoping for a nice hot dinner but was told there was no dinner available, so I had to walk to the promenade in the rain to get dinner.

Probably the biggest drawback is that their free wifi does nto work in the room. At least not in my room, which was located only 20 feet from the router. They have two routers and as long as I was in my room, there was no signal. Nil. The minute I stepped out of the room, it picked up the signal well. So I had to sit in the lobby and do all my work. Business travellers watch out. I explained this to the hotel staff, and they said all other laptops worked. Possible - but I have a top of the line Macbook pro and it has one of the best wifi radios around, so Im not so sure.

All in all, not a bad place but the three drawbacks - no wifi, room that reeked of tobacco and the dinner not served experience made me check out after just one night's stay."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of October 2008

Friendly

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Ascot in August '08 for a weekend. Nice hotel, not expensive rooms. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the centre of Douglas, but still right off the main Promenade. Ferry terminal is at least 20 minutes away on foot. The room was not big nor very modern, but everything was in good shape. Bathroom very clean, and there was even a jacuzzi. The view was to a back alley, but then again I wasn't expecting a sea view for the price. There was a wireless internet connection in the hotel, but the reception was average at best in my room - but it worked well enough for basic access. Very friendly staff a big bonus."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of August 2008

warm and friedley

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Very friendley staff, room clean, when returning to I O M will book again. One small problem "pillows" the ones you have need replacing and a few extras would not go a miss. overall you can book this hotel and get good vaule for money."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of July 2008

Good Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Sorry, folks, I had a nice and informative review all written up and then, I lost internet connection and it is gone forever.

Here were the highlights:

Good Points:
1) Staff - super super super great staff. The shining star of the hotel.
2) Breakfast - tasty, plentiful, really good English breakfast.
3) Housekeeping Staff - they're great, really efficient.
4) Tea and Coffee Supplies very nice.
5) Jacuzzi tub in each room.
6) Excellent Value for the Money!!

Less than good points:
1) Many of their rooms are great, but not all. We were put in the York room, a double and a twin bed (strange for honeymooners!), with no table or couch, and a very bad view. We snooped around though, and there are quite a few sea-facing rooms that are quite different and nicer.
2) The bed. Wow.. bad. My husband's 31 years old and woke up with back pain every morning! (Which is not normal.)
3) The view. Wow.. also bad.. I have a picture of it included.
4) It's off the Promenade and a long walk from the Ferry Terminal. Call them if you don't know where you're going.
5) The website is posher than the hotel - keep that in mind when you're perusing.

Don't let this make you think it's a bad hotel though. It's really not. Because we were there in January, we got it for a very good price, and were very pleased with what we got. I don't think we'd pay standard rates for that room though. We would stay there again, but next time, we'd ask for, book, or, if necessary, pay for a different room.

Important Note: Come to the Isle of Man in summer. Everything is closed in winter, so there's little to see or do."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of February 2008

value for money

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I booked it through ascot directly after reading good reviews on trip advisor. I went there to celebrate my 21st bday. The best thing about booking through them was that my total included the fairy ride. i ended up paying £75 for 2 people per night with breakfast and a sea view room. The rooms are very deciently sized and the bathroom was very nice espicialy the jacuzzi. Everything was very close to the hotel.
I also went to the Hilton and checkd their rooms and rate and trust me they are a rip off. Their standard double room was £120 per night without breakfast and no seaview.

The receptionist Dave was very helpful at the ascot as we changed our plans almost 3 times and he was very patient with us.

Isle of man is a very dead place but beautiful if i ever go bak i will definately stay at the Asot.
Riddhima."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2007

Friendly place!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"What a lovely surprise this hotel was. Truly friendly outgoing staff on all dealings with them. I really felt like I was a guest there and not a customer. Breakfast buffet was excellent, room was very clean but a bit careworn, hotel bar was fine with a colourful bartender as well.

Its up a hill a block from the ocean but we had a great harbour view from our window. It's nice to be away from the main promenade noise, too.

Its a bit of a walk from the ferry and the town map handed out at the tourist center didnt have empire terrace on it so ask the tourist center clerk to circle the location of the hotel on the map and give yourself about 30 minutes to walk there, or take a taxi from the ferry.

I wil definetly stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of October 2007

fantastic hotel

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"The rooms have plenty of space, loved the whirpool bath! really clean and tidy, staff polite and breakfast was great. Will stay here again and recommed it to and every anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007