( 2093 reviews)
Good

never again

Reviewed Mon 24th of August 2015

"The room was very basic to say it was a Hilton. there was no air con and we had to have the windows open. the motorway noise wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. but the Bollywood rave in the function room was unbearable. prob because I was sober I didn't appreciate the noise. and it went on far too long. we had small children staying in our room and was given rooms directly behind the function room. this was very poor planning from the Hilton Staff.the breakfast was very nice and the staff in the eating area atelier were very polite and friendly. especially the old gentleman. I have stayed in Hilton before and feel very let down by the one at Watford Hotel. The room service staff that clean and replenish on a daily basis neglected to replenish and we felt it better to buy our own teabags and sugar. the room was basic. which is all we needed. but if I wanted to stay at a premier inn I would have booked a premier inn"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of August 2015

what a weekend with the theatre break, t...

Reviewed Tue 12th of February 2008

"what a weekend with the theatre break, took to our lovely hotel, next morning a mega buffet breakfast, then a ride to the city, good nose around until it was time to see our show.. dirty dancing.. what a brilliant show!!. then taken back to hotel for 4course meal. next morn after mega brekkie a ride back to city, we watched the chinese new year parade, tried to see if we could see any celebs in covent garden .. we saw a few limo's though. the comfy journey home..

west midland people you can look at parrys (cheslyn hay) online i would reccommend them any day

• Travel date: Tue 12th of February 2008

I recently stayed in the Watford Hilton...

Good
Reviewed Thu 16th of November 2006

"I recently stayed in the Watford Hilton for a night for business reasons. The hotel seems to be the classic average Hilton hotel, not the top of the range Hilton's but it was ok.

I found the room to be a decent size with all facilities needed including an iron and ironing board in the room. The bathroom and bedroom were perfectly clean with no complaints.

The food served at the bar was fine and is served after a reasonable time. The breakfast is the usual self-service affair you find in most hotels now.

One thing which I had not seen in a hotel before was that you made your own toast. I'm not sure whether that is a good or a bad thing as it does mean that the toast is warm when it comes to you. No complaints though.

The hotel also have a Livingwell gym attached to it and I did make use of it for free. It has a nice swimming pool and jacuzzi which I made use of, but it does also have a sauna and gym facilities.

Overall, this hotel is fine for what I wanted and that was somewhere to sleep for the night which does decent food and has a swimming pool for relaxing. I will be returning when I need an overnight stay in the area again.

• Travel date: Thu 16th of November 2006

Enjoyable stay

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We stayed overnight on the 27th September as we were going to The Grove to watch the golf. After reading some of the reports, we had our doubts as to whether we had made the right choice. We need not have worried because from the moment we arrived we had excellent service. The staff were very informative and helpful, the room was spotless and well equiped , and the breakfast was superb. The ladies in the dining room could not do enough, and as an added bonus we even had a courtesy bus to take us to the golf course free of charge, and to return us to the hotel in the evening. We would certainly stay at this hotel again and recommend it to our friends. Well done."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of September 2006

Not as bad as the reviews suggest

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I normally consult Trip Advisor before I book so was dismayed to read the reviews after I had already reserved two rooms. However I found the staff very welcoming and the breakfast quite good for the class of the hotel.

The rooms have no airconditioning and the hotel is near the road so this can be a problem. Moreover I agree with the complaints about the outrageous internet charge of £15.

I would stay there again for a night but wouldn't use the internet!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

TERRIBLE Hotel - WORST TILL DATE

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This was one of the WORST decisions - I had taken for £140per night. I was horrified at the standards - The rooms are like a cheap Motel , No AC - You have a $5 -TABLE Fan on the writing Desk. - I am not Joking on this - Please do verify this when you call .

Internet - You have to pay approx £15 per night .
Food Choices are Flat & very limited in choice average cost is £13 per item. This Hotel is isolated & you have to take a cab to go to the nearest eatout.
Bedding – This is one thing that upset me most – It was a cheap mattress without box spring

The upkeep of the Hotel is bad - The elevator is Horrible & the corridor carpets dirty & worn out.

I really miss Hotels in US - I had No choice & had to survive 5 days in this Hotel as I was packed up with my work

In a nut shell - Stay away from this Junk yard ."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of August 2006

Not What You'd Expect - Avoid it if You Can!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"To stay overnight whilst travelling, I suppose this hotel is fine, however for anything more than that, I would not recommend it.

We stayed in the hotel for about ten days between moving homes. In that time period, we had to move rooms three or four times, and had to spend one night out of the hotel because the noise was so loud from a party.

The hotel's staff were all relatively helpful, however, remember that this is a Hilton. The whole place was very dated, and compared to having stayed in other group hotels worldwide, felt very institutional."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

Not too bad...but could be better

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I was in England recently for 21 days, the Hilton in Watford was the last hotel I stayed in during that time. And, in comparison to other hotels in England, it was not too bad - especially in comparison to central London hotels! It was a little on the pricey side for the condition of the hotel (@ 107 sterling pound per night).

My particular room was clean and a decent size. The decore was pleasant, TV and other electronics worked just fine. The bathroom was a good size and shower was very nice (one of the best I saw in the three weeks I was in the UK!). The bed was comfortable - a little on the hard side for me, but overall it was in good shape.

I had dinner at the hotel three nights and breakfast four mornings. Staff in the resturant were friendly, food was OK but not great. There was a decent selection for both dinner and breakfast, but quality for somethings, especially the hot food, was only mediocre. Food was certainly overpriced (19.95 sterling pound for dinner)!

In addition, if you don't have a car the hotel is a bit remote (not a lot within walking distance). If you depend on a taxi to get around, I probably would not recommend staying at the Hilton Watford; try staying in nearby St. Albens which is a quaint little town and has hotels in the town centre, or near centre."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Big disappointment

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"This hotel is sadly unloved and in a very badly kept condition.
Upon entering my room, I found it to be a sauna and had to turn off the heating. I opened the window to cool it down, only to find that the already loud traffic noise was unbearable with an open window.
The bin contained the rubbish from the previous occupants and the bathroom was in an overall "less than clean" state.
The room was in a very dilapidated state - with a broken clock radio, no fridge, worn carpet and stained curtains.
The TV was faulty - switching itself to radio and then off entirely every 20 minutes.
The room service took a long time to deliver and by the time it did, the food was cold.
Food trays that I had seen outside the doors of other rooms, were still there the following morning.
Given the amount that they charged for this room, it was a severe disappointment and I shall not be staying there again."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of March 2006

Not a bad stay at all!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"A friend and I stayed here last weekend. We booked a couple of months in advance and got a great rate of £54.50 per room (twin room) per night including dinner on the first night and breakfast on both mornings.
We stayed right in the middle of the "Christmas Party rush" but our dinner was excellent and the carvery had a wide choice. The staff were excellent; very polite and attentive.
We spent a lot of time using the pool/sauna/jacuzzi facilities and although you can tell that the area is a little dated everything was very clean and again the staff were excellent.
The room was fine although there was some mould around the bath area - old age I guess.
Breakfast was varied and plentiful. Due to its close proximity to London I would recommend a stay if the price was right."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of December 2005

useful for motorway network

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"I stay at this hotel regularly as it is close to my company's HQ. It is certainly not up to the standard of most other Hilton's in the UK but is perfectly adequate for most users. The hotel is an old motel-style facility - looking quite dated in parts. However it is extremely popular with business travellers - often quite hard to get a room and discounts are pretty miserly. It is very convenient to the Motorway network being close to the M1 and M25 and is not too far out of London. Other plus points include the staff - generally friendly and helpful - when not too harrassed by everyone wanting to check in or out at the same time. The breakfast buffet is very good and the morning staff always make guests very welcome - the bar can also be quite lively in the evening. I wouldn't use the restaurant for dinner - fairly mediocre - ditto room service unless you're having to do some last minute work on your report for the next morning!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of February 2005

Not very impressed

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"I booked on line and requested a quiet room on an upper floor away from the lifts.

I even telephoned the hotel a few days before I was due to arrive to confirm this. They told me it would not be a problem, particularly as I had booked the room on the basis of an advanced purchase. This meant that the Hilton took the money off my credit card as soon as I booked and the room was non-refundable if you did not turn up.

I arrived and was given a room on ground floor, 3 rooms down from the lifts.

The heating in the room was faulty. I turned the heater on and set the thermostat to 20c. In the middle of the night I woke up boiling hot. I turned the thermostat down as low as it would go. I woke up again to find the room was still boiling.

The thermostat was faulty and the heating was still on full power. I opened the window, but I could not get back to sleep because there was an air conditioning unit located right outside the window.

It was particularly frustrating as the room I was in did not have air conditioning."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of November 2004