About Leonardo Royal Hotel Southampton Grand Harbour

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

Comfortable Hotel

Reviewed Tue 28th of January 2014

"Stayed for 1 night in December before we went on our Christmas cruise, we had a lovely big room for our family of 4. We had room service which was very quick and a lot of choice. Breakfast was very busy but the waitress found us a nice table and was very polite. We were taken by taxi to the ship and left our car at the hotel. If we sail from Southampton again we will be returning to the Grand Harbour."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of January 2014

thanks all the feedback

Reviewed Thu 25th of July 2013

"after reviewed all the customers balanced comment we have decided no to go through the planed booking which we planed to stay for 5 days ends of August. I thing the hotel management need to invest a bit and sort the bathroom, Air conditioners as well as keep the room under the 5 * standard...at the from my observation toward the hotel the outside views is 5* but the more important inside (room) 2* "

• Travel date: Wed 24th of July 2013

Be aware when booking this hotel that th...

Reviewed Thu 29th of May 2008

"Be aware when booking this hotel that the rooms are not air-conditioned and some of the windows do not open. After it became apparent our windows could not be opened we were transferred to a room where only one window could be opened. Hotel staff very helpful, breakfast was good. Rooms could do with an update but this is definitely not a 5 star hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of May 2008

Lovely hotel in the centre of Southampto...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2008

"Lovely hotel in the centre of Southampton. Easy to walk to the shops, waterfront and cinema complex. Had a lovely two night stay at the beginning of January, our room overlooked the water and was extremely comfortable and well furnished.

The breakfast buffet was superb, the service was efficient and friendly and the restaurant was bright and airy. The evening meal was great on both nights, not a huge choice on the menu but what they did have was very good. The steak was probably one of the best steaks I've had.

Limited choice for deserts but only a minor point as I only ever want chocolate mousse or lemon brullee, neither of which was available. Very good wine list and not too unreasonable.

The hotel has a Spa which we did not use as they were fully booked, so I would recommend booking in advance if you know that you want a treatment. The leisure complex at the hotel was very good, towels are supplied on entry and the swimming pool area is clean and well looked after with a selection of sun lounges around the side. Large mixed sauna and steam room, with a seating area outside with a water cooler.

Overall we were very impressed with our stay and would go again. Around Southampton there is plenty to see, the walls around Southampton make an interesting walk, while the shops are close by for those wanting some retail therapy. If you do not want to eat in the hotel there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

Great Breakfasts

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"As we were attending a charity event at the De Vere we decided to make a weekend of it and spend a couple of nights there. We obtained a good rate as we were attending the event - UKP120 per night, breakfast included, in a 'Traditional' (i.e., standard) double room. We arrived late on the Friday night but were courteously dealt with by both the concierge and reception. Our room, 310, was comfortable, clean, had a nice bathroom with the usual small bottles of toiletries. There was a small mini-bar, expensive as they all seem to be, good tea and coffee tray, plenty of storage space, and ironing board, hair drier, the ubiquitous trouser press, a couple of chairs, a desk and of course the bed. This was large, comfortable and had decent pillows. There was no bedside alarm clock - there was one on the TV but as this was in a cabinet it would have meant leaving the doors open which could be a bit of a hazard when trying to find the bathroom in the dark. The view from the window was nothing special but we were facing the back of the hotel, I expect the view from the rooms at the front would have been much more interesting.

The only real downside was the absence of air conditioning. I feel the hotel owners should go back to the architect and demand some of their money back as this is quite a major oversight, especially for a hotel of this quality. It wasn't overly warm outside but it was too hot inside. There was a fan and the window could be opened, both of which helped, but I would guess that in warm weather the rooms could be stifling.

Our late arrival meant that we were too late for the restaurant though we did get a sandwich from the limited night menu from the bar. This was very nice but also very expensive. The drinks were pricey too but not as extortionate as they might have been. We never tried the restaurant. The hotel provided catering at the event we attended on the Saturday evening and was of a high standard. I expect the restaurants would be the same high standard but expensive. What was impressive, though, was the breakfast. This is a buffet. Nothing unusual in that perhaps, but the range of produce available and the quality was excellent.

The hotel itself is a very modern design and uses glass extensively to obtain a contemporary feel. Some might not like this but I found it a pleasant environment notwithstanding the lack of air conditioning. We didn't use the leisure facilities but the gym looked extensive and the pool looked inviting. The city of Southampton was a bit disappointing, though. There are the old city walls nearby and a few bits of history to discover, but a rather uninspiring shopping mall dominates the skyline to the north of the hotel.

The check-out formalities were brief and trouble free. All the staff had been polite and efficient. Overall, I was impressed with the hotel at the price I paid. Had I paid the 'normal' rate of £150 per night, I might have expected a little more. Air conditioning for example…"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of May 2006

OK but not 5 star

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Nice stay. Only in for one night. Located in a great spot. We were able to do some "walking the wall" and some shopping at the West Quay. Not quite sure why there is no A/C. It wasnt a big problem in Jan., but what is it like in July or Aug. The "No 5" resturant was very over-priced. The steak was tasty but not worth the price. The doorman was very helpful. Room was very large for a deluxe room. Good TV. The Bathroom was nice. The shower head was the type that had "rub clean" tips that needed to be "rubbed". The calicum deposits had built up a good bit. No robes available in the room."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of February 2006

Loved it

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I booked this hotel for my partners 21st for one night in the top suite (carver) it cost £380 so i was expecting something pretty spectalcuar and I did. Our room was massive It had a seperate bedroom with telly, tea and coffee cd player fan etc. we then had a sitting room with telly and dining room seperate kitchin and toilet. And then for the big surprise a bathroom the size of my bedroom at home it had a jaquzzi bath which my partner whos 6ft 5 could lay in a seperate shower a beday and toilet and his and hers sinks with all free toiletries. I it was great. I will comment on how warm it was becuase we were at the top of the building our room was extremley warm but once we turned it down it was ok. Our balcony was massive we watched the boats come in. free champayne fruit and choc. The staff were friendly we even dropped off some birthday gifts the day before which they were happy to store and put in our room before we got there. They door men were great when we arrived they rushed to take our bags and open doors.
We had room service for dinner my partners food steak and chips then he had pizza looked lovely I had cottage pie nice but not worth the whole £15.75 i paid for it and thats without and sides with it.
It was 5 star service. I would definetly go again but save a little more next time."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of February 2006

Booked 1 night here prior to going on a...

Reviewed Thu 31st of March 2005

"Booked 1 night here prior to going on a cruise with P&O. Excellent service from when we checked in. The concierge was very helpful and arranged transport to the ship for us which was free. Ate in the restaurant at night, which was expensive, but worth it. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. Took full use of the pool - at 7am it was empty. The room (their cheapest) was very luxurious and well appointed.

Wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2005