Good

Rip-off non Budget Hotel!!!

Reviewed Tue 29th of July 2014

"We booked online and were expecting to have breakfast and parking included in our bill of £178 , as we were ONLY booked in for two nights, hardly Budget Price!!! The room was clean and that was the ONLY reason I have given it 1 star! So we had no choice but to stay as we couldn't get a refund! The first night was unbearably hot, with no air-con just an intolerable fan pumping out recycled air all night/ day long! Hardly slept first night but the second night was a nightmare as the heat conditions were the same, but added to the mix of all the drunken people outside, were a group of 6 people in the room next door to our room, shouting, fighting, screaming, slamming doors ALL night long!!! I did phone reception to report the noise which they were NOT aware of -how I don't know? People from the neighboring 'Novatel' hotel all looking up from outside as the noise was SOOO bad. I understand the Police arrived at some time, but not after at least 3hours had passed from me first reporting it.. At no time did anyone offer us somewhere else to sleep in the hotel or ask if we were o.k. So when we checked out swiftly the next morning we were asked 'did you enjoy your stay' ............What can I say? mentioned ALL the above and that we would like our money back , but guess what we were offered a free nights stay!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of July 2014

Although the food was good and general c...

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2008

"Although the food was good and general cleanliness of the hotel was fine, the room (a double) was pretty small and smelt of dog. We left the room for several hours (5?) with the windows open and it still smelt of dog when we got back!

Very cheap rates though. Still doesn't justify the room smelling like that. No cooked breakfast but continental. Which isn't a bad thing!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Comfy and cosy

Good
Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Stayed here on a Monday night for business. Nice room- curved wardrobe and window really softened the boxiness. I found it very cosy. Bright colours (turquoise and peach- bit washed out in my photos). Flat screen TV and kettle, bit of a desk in the window. Not much in the way of toiletries and no iron in the room but there's an ironing room on floor 2. Clean hotel and helpful staff.
Restaurant menu was limited and the bar next to it was quite noisy but TGI Fridays is just over the road. Couple of minutes walk from the railway station. Breakfast was croissants and a coffee machine, but enjoyable all the same. I'd look forward to staying here again."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of November 2006

A good hotel for the money

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"We were in a goup of 10 that stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to attend a wedding in Southampton.

The hotel was in a good location, close to the port and main shopping area. There were plenty of bars and restaurants within about a 10 minute walk and it was easy to get a taxi if we didn't fancy the walk.

The hotel itself was fine. We read a lot of comments about it being unclean but we didn't find that at all. All the rooms that our party booked were thoroughly cleaned each day and the towels were replaced. The bar area was small but comfortable and there was entertainement laid on during the time that we were there.

The only negative point about this hotel was that it could take quite a while to be served at the bar/cafe during the day. This was mainly due to the fact that the staff from Reception also had to serve at the bar for most of the day. This did not work out well, especially at check out times as people were left waiting around 10 minutes for a cup of coffee. However, that is down the the management and the way they run the hotel, not the staff who were always busy and tried to help people as quickly as they could.

Overall, this was a hotel was exactly what you expect from a budget chain - Good rates for a basic room with a reasonably priced bar. We would definately stay again...the price is right and the rooms are clean!"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of May 2006

No frills hotel....Could be cleaner!!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for 1 night over the weekend.

The positives:
Great Location! Hotel is within walking distance to:
The cinema, train station, West Quay shopping mall and retail park, Coach station (all within 5 mins walk). McDonalds is next door! A few other restaurants nearby. Also close to cruise terminals.

Hotel enterance and reception area are welcoming.
Staff were friendly, although didn't really challenge them with any unusual requests.
Paid about £59 per room, per night. So not expensive, especially for a city centre hotel.
The bed was large.
In-room tea/coffee making facilities.
Small selection of satellite tv channels, although the tv had no teletext.
Vending machines in the lobby so you don't need to go far to pick up a few snacks.
Large car park - shared with the Novotel.

Negatives:
Car park gets pretty full. Can be difficult to find a space if you arrive late, although there is plenty of room to invent the odd parking space.
Tiny lift, in need of modernisation.
Grubby corridors.
In- room: Blankets on beds, woodchip wallpaper, painted in various shades on coral. Carpets are worn.
Bathroom floor felt sticky on the bottom of my feet, bathroom generally needed new sealant! Looked grimy in there.
Leaving the best till last: found a few short curly hairs in the bedding!

I don't have an issue with the basic nature of this hotel. I do however, have an issue with cleanliness, unfortunately the Ibis was did not live upto my expectations in this department. Would definitely NOT stay here again, for that reason alone."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of February 2006

Get what you pay for

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"You get what you pay for. This hotel is a cheap bed for the night. Nothing more. I got what I was expecting."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of April 2004

Avoid

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"From the outside, and even in the reception area, this appears to be a modern, well-maintained, clean hotel. Once you leave the lift this elusion is shattered. The stained threadbare carpets in the corridor set the standard for the rooms. The first room I was allocated (303) had mould growing around the window, the room smelt damp and musty. I ask for my room to be changed, which to be fair was done without any argument. The second room I was allocated (330) was little better that the first. The towels were worn and stained, and the sheets had and number of holes in them. The whole room was very grubby, worn and tied.

At nearly £60 a night it can't even be considered cheap, I'm a sure better alternatives must exist in the area. ,"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2004

Hotels near Ibis Southampton Centre

Top traveller tips for Ibis Southampton Centre

• Deborah J by Deborah J

"DON'T stay find another hotel "

Ibis Southampton Centre is also called