Good

Good for last minute work stays

Reviewed Tue 8th of May 2012

"I had to stay in Portsmouth unexpectedly a few weeks ago and was able to book a room here last minute for a very reasonable rate. I prefer to stay in hotels that are simply furnished, clean and quiet for work and this was exactly what I ended up with. The room was a good size, with the wash basin outside the shower cabin (in the room) and a separate wc. The black out blind was excellent and the heating/aircon. unit was good for white noise in the background. The room fixtures weren't 100% but the amount of wear was acceptable. Comfortable, firm double bed with crisp, clean bed linen. Could sleep three (single bunk above). If I'd had time I would have eaten from the very reasonably priced breakfast buffet. Availability of snacks and beverages in the lobby 24/7 and a sandwich 'meal deal' is also a bonus. Staff helpful and accommodating."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2012

Cheap, functional, friendly & quiet.

Reviewed Fri 19th of August 2011

"Top marks to the staff, who were very friendly and helpful. We were told about the parking arrangements and warned about the clamping, should we ignore them.
The room is basic and functional. Not something to share with someone if you are not on "getting naked" terms with, as the shower door is pretty see through. There's a flat screen TV with two TV channels and a radio channel.
There are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room but there is a machine in the entrance/foyer/dining area.

Breakfast is only £3.75 and consists of cereal, toast, rolls, cheese, juice and coffee/tea. No cooked food. If you want anything more, there is a Maccy D right opposite.

I think that once you are asleep, the only thing that really matters is the peace and quiet. I slept really well and didn't have any problems with noise at all, which is more than I can say for some of the better known hotel chains.

For someone on a tight budget, who just needs a place to lay their head, you can save yourself some money here. If you want style and luxury then this is not the place for you.

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2011

£400 fine for parking, no warning before hand and NO SIGNS ANYWHERE

Reviewed Fri 11th of February 2011

"UNBLEIVABLY TERRIBLE and SHOCKING experience staying at the Etap hotel in Portsmouth. The sign on the reception desk warning customers not to park in the Safe Store car park next door was turned around, hidden from view. In addition, there were no visible signs in the car park and yet when I left my car there and went to dinner, a tow vehicle turned up to tow my car away. Suspiciously, the hotel then phoned me to tell me my car was being towed. I returned to the scene only to be told that £425 on the spot was required to release my car.

• Travel date: Mon 31st of January 2011

Cheap! Service was very bad

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Room was ok
Some hair on the bed sheet!! Not nice!
Good value for money, No shampoo, only 1 very small soap block, however the staff at reception were very nice and helpful when I complained, They also offered me a free drink.
Internet was very slow and expensive!! I had to pay £3 for 2 hours,
No Internet in Rooms, Only in the cafe area and only 2 computer plugs available
The cafe looked like my highschool's cafe in 1999
Breakfast was rubbish, and the juice tasted Cheap!!
eat everything as much as you want for 2.99 i(Breakfast)
Well what was there? Toast, Butter, Jam, Very bad quality croissant and normal cornflake
oh and tea and coffee.
In normal hours you had to pay a high price for coffee and tea,
no kettle in the room, no towel in the room, had to pay £10 deposit for the TV remote and had to go to reception and get it.
No car park because of construction work

Good staff
Clean (Apart from the hair on my bed)
Small Shower
Bad food"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of May 2009

Didn't expect THAT!!!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"When we travelled from Beijing, we were very very tired!!!! All we wanted is a quick check in and loads of sleep!
Our wish was granted when we were met by friendly and helpfull staff.
They explained everything very clearly.
The rooms are quite small but functional and it could sleep 3 people.
Additional fascilities are available such as WI-Fi, hairdryers, etc.

My wife and I decided to go eat. The staff, once again, explained where was the best place to do so!

We enjoyed our stay very much!
Thank you Etap!"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of May 2009

stay away from this hotel!!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"words cant describe how mad i am with this awful hotel. i have stayed at etap hotels b4 and had a plesant stay but i would not recommend staying in this one at all. the staff were VERY rude and wouldnt help us in the slightest. the man on night shift marc pearce was so rude and very unhelpfull and i will be making a formal complaint to the management about him! i also found out from the night staff that his hotel has had over 100 police incidence! in the last few month (and they only opened i think they said november 08) thats why they have security on at night it said it all really! and i wouldnt be surpised if they had all these police incidences because of the rudeness of the stuff! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL U HAVE BE WARNED! personaly i would of rather slept on the street than here and i will never be staying in this hotel EVER AGAIN worst expecience of my life and to top it off we had all come from wales for a night out in portsmouth for my 25th bday this experience recked my bday NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of April 2009

Worst hotel experience I've had in my life, mainly due to the ludicrously unhelpful night staff. Avoid at all costs!!!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"My friends and I went for a night out in Portsmouth for my friend's 25th birthday, and we chose the etap hotel because it was relatively cheap and supposedly close to the city centre; my friend had read that it was 0.1 miles from the centre, but it turned out it is a taxi ride away. We weren't looking for luxury and were expecting it to be basic, however we did have some expectations such as that the beds would be made and there would be a decent amount of toilet paper! We booked a room for 3 but the single bunk bed was not made, and wrestling the non-fitted sheet onto it was virtually impossible- I persuaded a security guard to help me in the end, as no-one else was available, but even he could not do it properly! The room was the smallest I have stayed in in my life, with walls supposedly designed to graze one's elbows and wafer thin pillows (strictly one per customer!). If you want any extras such as a kettle or iron (not that we would have had space to do any ironing!) then you have to pay a deposit. The shower doors are made of opaque glass so everyone in the room can see the occupant and there is no lock on the toilet door, so definitely don't come with friends you don't feel ready to be intimate with!
All these small things could just about be tolerated, if it wasn't for the abysmal customer service we received. We booked a room for 3 but an extra friend decided to join us at the last minute, so we all went along and assumed we would be able to book an extra room on arrival, However , when we go there we were informed that the hotel was fully booked, along with every other hotel in Portsmouth due to some football match!! We felt we had no choice but to all fit into the tiny 3-person room, and were met with no objection when the 4 of us arrived together equipped with luggage and went upstairs to prepare for our night out. But when we returned at 3amish there was a bouncer on the door with a list of rooms, names and numbers, and he and the other member of staff refused to let all of us into the room! We explained that we had nowhere else to go and were willing to pay extra for the additional person, but the man behind the desk refused to do anything to help us out and was extremely rude. During the time spent in the lobby my friend got talking to another guest at the hotel who only had 2 occupants in their 3-person room, and he agreed to let her stay with them, however the staff would not allow this either!!! After much arguing and debating my other friend offered to sleep in our car in the B&Q car park (where we were forced to park due to lack of spaces at the etap), so she went and settled in there and the remaining 3 of us retired to our room... only to be disturbed 15minutes later by the security guard insisting that the friend whose name we didn't happen to register leave!! In her pyjamas!!!!!! We persuaded him to allow her to get dressed first, but the staff still insisted she swap places with the one who was sleeping in the car, as far as I can see purely out of spite because we happened to have let on that she was the one without a room. I went to complain to the man on the desk again and was confronted with an EVEN ruder woman, who simply shouted "Go to your room" at me before storming off. In the end, none of us got more than a few hours' sleep and it was an incredibly stressful experience.
Apologies for the length of this story but I feel the details of our plight require careful explanation! But in short- awful hotel run by awful awful people who won't bend the rules even slightly for the safety and comfort of their customers. It may sound like a bargain, but I think it's worth paying a little more to be treated with some respect."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of April 2009

Good hotel, bad location - flood ruined it for me :(

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel on Saturday 4th april for my 21st Birthday with my self and 8 other friends. We arrived at the hotel and parked in the loading bay, we checked in and the girl on the desk was nice and friendly and told as about everything we needed to know. We given towels?? There wasnt enough space for everyone to park at the hotel but you can park at B & Q across the road (2min walk). The rooms are smallest size and clean/practical. They reminded me alot of uni halls!!
The location of the hotel is in a industrial estate near to Portmouth FC, there is KFC and Mc D's nearby.
We got a taxi into the centre of portsmouth in evening (only cost £6 CHEAP) There were lots of groups of lads so I was expecting it to be noisey when came home but it was really quiet. There was a big scary bouncer guarding the hotel when we came home (3am), he took our names and room numbers which was good. Glad to know they dont let any weirdo in.
In the morning, we woke up and there had been a FLOOD on our floor!! It smelt horrid!!We had to walk through a puddle of water(smelt like urine.) My friends had stayed on the floor below us and said that the fire alarm had been going off all night. Luckily we didnt hear it. They asked for there money but the girl on reception said it wasnt there fault that there was a flood??"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of April 2009

Bargain,great staff and service.

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I stayed at the etap in january after a friends birthday night out and have become a regular there ever since. The staff are always as friendly and helpful as possible and there are benifits like 24 hour reception. The hotel has no resturant to speak of (but its opposite kfc, mcdonalds etc so u dion't really need one) but they do have a breakfast area for the morning where they serve an all u can eat brekkie( good for a hangover,lol), and they also stock fridge food and nibbles. The rooms are basic...all the same double bed with a bunk bed on top, they are all en-suite with tv's and they even have a few smoking rooms! If 3 people of us stay in a room it can often be cheaper than a taxi home..that works out roughly £12 each which is what i've been doing often on sat nights. I couldn't ask more for my money. I really recommend this place"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2009

Budget, basic, but adiquate. Comfortable beds. No complaints at all.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"All rooms at the Etap are just £35 per night (unless they decide to up the rates if there is a special event going on, so check with the hotel first) and rooms sleep three people and are all constructed the same. There is a king size bed, with a bunk bed on top, towels and soap are provided, but not other toiletries or any complimentary tea and coffee. Hot drinks are available in the lobby at a charge and breakfast is very basic for £2.95 per person, but to be honest it is cheaper to have breakfast at McDonalds down the road. I stayed in this hotels with friends after a concert at the Wedgewood Rooms, which is just a 10 minute taxi ride away. This Etap is by far the cheapest place to stay in the Portsmouth area that is comfortable and clean, better than most hostels. I would not call the area Portsmouth as such, as the hotel is walking distance from Fratton train station, but you will need to get a taxi or have a car to get to Portsmouth train station and city centre. They need more budget hotels like this all over the UK, as hotels here are a rip-off in general anyway. My friends and I thought that the Etap was even better value than most Travel Lodges we've stayed in which have been far too overpriced."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2009

worst hotel in NATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"i booked a room for myself and my girlfriend for the weekend. i thought the price was very good an knew what to expect of the accomodation as i'd stayed in an etap before however!!!!!!! on arrival i parked outside the entrance and went into the reception asking where i could park, i was inside less than 1 minute when an independant clamping company where sat there waiting for me to make a mistake of parking in the wrong space an had blocked me in, aplied the clamp an had already began to take picture's of my car. i had to pay an instant release fee of £150 but being a normal person i dont keep that amount of cash in pocket so if u have to pay via card its an additional 5% making it £157.50!!!!!!!!!! thats not the worst, if your car is there longer and your unable to pay the instant release fee it is bumped up to £400+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know who runs this company but they should be bearing ski masks an sawn off shot guns!!!!!!!!!!!, i hadnt even payed to stay in the hotel yet and id already pay'd nearly £160 just to park outside for 1 minute!!!!!!!!! now to the hotel staff!!!! EVEN though they know of this company doing what they are doing, the only remorse i got was that they tried to cheer me up with saying and i quote "on a lighter note sir we do issue a 1200 check out for ease of stress" to be honest i'd sooner have been kicked in the private region and had the video put on youtube for all the world to see than being stung for £160 for parking. there was NO clear marking on the floor of the spaces dessignating who's spaces were who's and NO CLEAR SIGNS on the way into the hotel car park which is shared with another company as to where you should park. i myself will be contacting uk watchdog on the matter I ONLY HOPE THAT YOU READ THIS MESSAGE IN FULL AND BOOK ELSE WHERE! FOR THE PRICE I PAY'D FOR THE CAR FINE AND HOTEL I COULD HAVE STAY'D IN "THE HOLIDAY INN" AT "GUNWHARF KEYS" TAKEN MY GIRLFRIEND FOR A MEAL AND STILL HAD CHANGE TO BUY SOME CHOCOLATE IN A VENDING MACHINE."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of February 2009

Tap into the ETAP eperience

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"I can only agree with what's been written - the ETAP experience is reliable; frills free maybe but for £35.00 per room per night, this hotel offers extremely good value. The price is for between one and three per room too!

The one question I have is this. In Europe, this chain offers a regular business user scheme - but doesn't do so in the UK. Why not please?

Most business travellers don't want frills or complications and this simple approach, with the self serve continental breakfast option makes an early get-away easy. Worth thinking about?"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of January 2009

Hotels near Hotel ibis budget Portsmouth

Hotel ibis budget Portsmouth is also called

• Etap Hotel Portsmouth