Good

An okay hotel for a business trip

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"I have now stayed in this hotel twice in the past two years on business trips because it's the closest hotel to my company. Both times I've stayed, I've found the rooms to be adequate. Clean but nothing special. Although the hotel is only 2 floors, there is no elevator so try not to pack too much. Internet was 10 pounds for a half hour, I think. And there is only one computer, located in the tiny 'business centre' . Rate was 119 pounds, including breakfast. Which was strange, as I stayed in the Hilton at Holland Park, London on the weekend after and paid 99 pounds/night. Last - the hotel is not located near town so you need to take a taxi to get anywhere if you don't have a car. It costs about 5 pounds to catch a cab to the Mall or to the train station."

• Travel date: 20th January 2007

Not what I expected from a Hilton

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"We stayed one night as our niece was having her wedding in the hotel. The wedding was handled well and the catering was excellent. Also enjoyed the breakfast in a nice conservatory at the rear of the building. Some staff were friendly (eg The bloke who served the fried eggs) while others were at best indifferent (a mix up when ordering drinks was made to feel it was my fault by a refusal of barmaid to apologise for her mistake). The room was not ready on our arrival though we were told it would be when we booked. It would appear this was duff information as checking out time is not until 12. The carpets are stained and the room was rather shabby and poorly ventilated. Bed was very comfortable though and bathroom clean. Having heard my father in law's recommendations of Hilton Hotels in general, I was left with the impression that the one at Basingstoke was decidedly under average."

• Travel date: 12th August 2006

Would not recommend you stay here unless you have to

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"I stayed here on a business trip with 4 other people and we all had similar experiences & opions on the hotel. One person in my group had to change rooms because the toilet, shower AND internet connection weren't working in the original one. My room smelt bad & was stuffy because you can't open the windows. The carpet was stained & dirty. One of the lights above the bed was broken & the bathroom light flickered on & off all the time. The full length mirror also fell off the wardrobe door (luckily I was out at the time as it fell on the bed). The good things - the breakfast was OK (but overpriced) with a reasonable choice. The dining conservatory is bright & fairly spacious and has a nice outlook over gardens. The staff were friendly & helpful and the toiletries were nice. My room on the ground floor overlooking the back of the hotel was pretty quiet. One thing to watch out for - you have to pay a daily £3 charge to use the car park even though the hotel is nowhere near the town or anything else which might mean non-residents would park there. However if you grumble loudly enough they knock it off the bill! This hotel would be fine if they updated the rooms - I won't stay here again until they do. There are much nicer hotels in Basingstoke for tourists & non-tourists alike (other people on the same business trip were staying ay Tylney Hall & were singing its praises very highly!)"

• Travel date: 28th April 2006

Value for what we paid

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I should start by saying that we paid £59 per night for a family room for 2 adults and 2 children - room only obviously. So this review is based on the fact that we stayed for less than £15 per person per night. By the way breakfast which was extra was £15.95 per person i.e. more than the cost of the bed.... This hotel was certainly not up to the standard of other Hiltons we had stayed in but our room was just what we expected from a converted motel - warm, clean and comfortable but not spacious. The wooden floors creaked a lot when anyone walked on them - which irritated when you are used to concrete floors in most modern hotels. Secondly the heavy fire doors along the corridors were noisy at night when anyone opened them. The staff were very friendly and were able to give us loads of advice on the area (cinemas etc.). The hotel did not seem too busy - but most guests seemed to be corporate types and reps. There seemed to be lots of meetings taking place during the day too. We ate in the Conservatory restaurant and the food was terrific - even if you didn't want to stay the meal was first class. It was bright and airy - good value too. The only gripe was that it didn't open until 7pm. However a soft drink and a glass of wine in the bar cost over £8 - aaagh!! The hotel is very easy to find - jjust off the M3 - using the Hilton website directions. Two small points - the complimentary morning papers were a nice treat (even though we had not requested them) and I really hate having to pay extra for car-parking which was £3 per day. Why don't hotels just include this in the price ? Will I stay again ? Definitely yes if I can get it for that rate again."

• Travel date: 23rd April 2006

Somewhat Shabby

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"Staff at reception were friendly enough and said I was assigned a refurbished room. Frankly if they hadn't told me I would never have realised. Thankfully though the room was quiet. The pillows and duvet were filled with feathers to which I am allergic and getting them changed was more trouble than I expected from the 'Hilton Group'. My evening meal in the bar was fine although the menu selection was limited. Internet access is charged at £15/'night' which in my opinion is daylight robbery and feel this could be a lot more economical as residential broadband internet is as low as £13.99 a month. Breakfast was however very good. Would I feel enclined to stay again...unlikely."

• Travel date: 8th March 2006

Excellent Food

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We stayed here for a weekend break. The rates were very good at £119 for B & B and meal on first night. Reception were very helpful when we checked in, with no queues. Rooms smelt a bit musty - think this is due to build up of condensation. However they were clean and all was as expected. Dinner was excellent, even though we did have to wait for 20 mins to be seated as hotel was full. Breakfast excellent. Waiters very attentive and friendly. Used swimming pool and sauna - nobody else in pool so we had no problems - this was about 3am Very quiet, so got a goods night sleep"

• Travel date: 28th November 2005

Below average Hilton

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Stayed at the Basingstoke on a Friday evening. The hotel is not that easy to find unless you are familiar with the area and the ring road system around Basingstoke is poorly signed and confusing. First impressions of the hotel is that it is somewhere that middle managers stay during the week and it could definately do with an update. When we checked in the single member of front desk staff was overwhelmed by a long queue of people trying to check in. Given that she was very polite and efficient. The hotel was not very busy - probably one third full based on the car park. The Club (Executive) rooms are at the end of a corridor so are slightly quieter but the rooms themselves are dated but it was reasonably clean. The restaurant was very expensive - think - $25 plus for a main course!! We walked into the nearby town where there is an extensive choice of restaurants. Stopped at the bar for a drink - there were four staff on duty but they all seemed to be doings something else but we were eventually served. The complimentary paper hadn't turned up by 11AM on Saturday morning - this seems to be fairly standard for out of town Hiltons in the UK. In summary very average but OK for an overnight stop."

• Travel date: 14th November 2005

Excellent for weekend breaks

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Having read some of the reviews about this hotel we were quite concerned. On arrival we were met by a very helpful receptionist who booked us in to our ground floor rooms without delay. The rooms have been refurbished and everything was clean and working. Bathroom OK but the towels could do with an upgrade. The restaurant consisted of the usual Hilton carvery, but the staff here were excellent and attentive.Very friendly without being overbearing. Although we were only staying two nights, they took the trouble to remember your name which was very pleasant. Plenty to do in the area, we chose to carry on down the M3 to the New Forest. On the night we dined out we went one junction down the motorway to the Queens Inn in Dummer, who looked afer us very well."

• Travel date: 7th November 2005

Tolerable, but not a Hilton

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"The hotel is, as many others have said, more like a converted Travel Lodge or motel than anything approximating to a Hilton. Despite that, it still charges Hilton-style prices. When I arrived (about 6:30 pm on a weekday) there was only one person on reception who was struggling to deal with the queue. The reception area itself looks too small for any sort of influx. The room was OK and I didn't try to eat there. Overall - just too tacky and shed like for the reputation or the money."

• Travel date: 18th October 2005

Enjoyed our stay

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"After reading a lot of previous reviews we were a bit concerned. However, on arrival we found from reception, quality of the room we stayed ( Plaza Room) and food/service were very good. The dinner was Buffet style which we prefer. as one can choose what you like. The puddings were limited. Overall good quality cooking. The waiting staff were also very helpful. The location surrounded by open country setting was excellent. No noise. The swimming pool was small and more than 2 families would be crowded. The Gym was also small but OK. The sauna and steam room acceptable. We felt the 2 nights break that Hilton offered was excellent value. We were a family of 2 adults and our 11 year old son Phil."

• Travel date: 12th August 2005