Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

London Road Piccadilly, Manchester M1 2PG England

Great weekend stay

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed here for 2 nights over the August Bank Holiday weekend. We booked a double room and a family room through a travel agent. We were told that we may need to pay £15 per night for the child (5 yr old - which we thought was a bit much as they usually go free) but on check out weren’t asked to pay any extra. It was about a 5-10 min walk to the shops and nightlife.
The rooms were lovely, really spacious, nicely decorated and very clean. I had read on other reviews that the road noise was bad. We were on the front of the hotel on the 6th floor and I can honestly say that apart from the odd siren you could not hear the road noise at all.
The majority of the staff in this hotel made you feel that nothing was too much trouble. We arrived at around 10am and managed to park in the hotel car park (£12 for 24hrs). The rooms weren’t ready but the concierge came out to the car park with us, took our luggage inside and delivered it to the room later.
Only downside was the breakfast – it was very disappointing. The menu seems to feature plenty of organic produce. How they could make this taste so bad is beyond me. There was an average selection of cereal but not many pastries, meat and cheese so we decided to order cooked breakfasts. Big mistake. Every single item was tasteless all 5 of us agreed on this. All the cooked breakfasts arrived with baked beans (which we hadn’t asked for) and we were told by the rather rude restaurant staff that the chef always puts beans on the breakfast!!. Next morning only one of the party chose the cooked option and he said it was as bad as the previous morning.
Lounge Bar was very expensive. Staff in the bar were very helpful and pleasant. Perhaps if the prices were lowered more people would use it and it would have a better atmosphere."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2008

Great location

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"We stayed here for 1 night on the 19th August 08 to do some serious shopping the next day. Booked an executive double double for our family of 4 including breakfast for £140 on the hotel's website. The website wasn't very clear for executive room descriptions showing only tv and laptop photo, there were no pictures of bedding arrangements or room layout.Anyway, the room we were shown to had 2 double beds but I'm sorry to say had the most pungent smell as you entered the room. In which case we asked to see another room, and was immediately taken to 2 interconnecting rooms on the second floor. These were fine and although we had taken two rooms instead of one we weren't charged anymore than the original price. Once we had settled in we decided to go for dinner in the hotel restaurant. The menu is quite limited, we felt, for such a large hotel but the food is absolutely delicious!! The restaurant staff were very polite, attentive and catered for our every need. This extended to room service, bell boy, reception staff and "christie" who was duty manager on this particular evening . Everyone in this establishment made you feel that nothing was too much trouble.
The negative points I would like to mention are:
Restaurant staff at breakfast were not up to the same level as the previous evening staff.
Website and 24 hour room service menu both need to be changed to show more clearly what is or isn't available when booking/ordering.
A few more toiletries in the bathroom would be nice and a clock in the bedroom. We would probably stay here again on our next shopping trip now we know what rooms to ask for and how gorgeous the food menu is."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of August 2008

American sized room in the UK! Excellent!

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"We stayed at the Macdonld Manchester hotel for one night at the weekend as we have a lot of friends in Manchester.

Upon arriving at the hotel (aprox 6:30pm), we found that the hotel car park was full, which was a bit frustrating. As I am familar with Manchester, I was able to find parking at the Piccadilly railway station long stay car park in a few minutes. However, someone less familiar with the city may have found this a much more daunting process.

After parking at the station, we walked back to the hotel which was literally across the street. Check in was very quick and we were in our room within five minutes, at the rate of £60.

Now I knew that this was a brand new hotel (and well reviewed) and was expecting it to be above average. However, I was still taken aback at the quality and attention to detail in the room. First of all, we had a regular room, but it was at least 30-40% larger than competing chain hotels in the UK. In fact I would say it is larger than the suites at many other hotels. Basically the same size or larger than American hotel rooms. The fittings in the room were of extremely high quality and are superior to what I would expect for a UK 4 star hotel.

The bed had a proper duvet and very comfortable pillows. We were both out in seconds, and usually I struggle to sleep in hotels. There was no noise at all from either the street or the hallways - which is important as Manchester can get a bit noisy if there's a football match the next day! I can't remember the last time I woke up so refreshed in a hotel.

The windows run the entire length of the room. Not that it is a fantastic view, but still is nice to have. The drapes are correctly fitted (can be a pet peeve for me in hotels) and blocked out almost all the light.

The bathroom has a seperate bathtub and shower, with speakers for the audio from the television. A full set of toiletries was provided, which is getting rare these days. Again the fittings were of very high quality and the cleanliness was very good.

We waited quite a while for the lifts to check out in the morning, and eventually gave up and took the stairs. When we got to the lobby we saw a queue of about 20 people waiting to check out, and I could feel my blood pressure rising. However, the small front desk was fully manned, and we were out the door less than five minutes later. I was quite impressed by the effort of the staff to work quickly to alleviate the queue.

The attention to detail and quality of materials used in the hotel are outstanding. The only let downs are the lifts (overworked as there are only two), and the car park (too small). However given the quality of the hotel and the efficiency of the staff, I'm more than willing to overlook those faults. The only other thing is that the hotel bar is not the greatest and is expensive, but then again it is a hotel bar! Can't expect perfection I guess.

Excellent value for money, and the first UK hotel in a long time that I have been impressed with! Can't wait to go back!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

Fantastic hotel

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"We stayed in this hotel for one night. The staff were excellent, the rooms were beautiful, comfortable and pristine!
The breakfast was the best I have had in a hotel in a long time and the staff in the restaurant and on reception were helpful, kind and courteous.
I will definitely stay here again!"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

Great place for a night away

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2013

"We stayed last Saturday night. It was very friendly when we arrrived and we managed to get a car parking space in the hotels own car park.
Our room was lovely and spacious, it was on the 7th floor and you could see across to the peaks.
The bar is friendly and the staff very helpful. We enjoyed a very nice light snack on arrival.
The best bit was the breakfast hamper, the staff said the breakfast could get very busy. They suggested the Hamper, it was just perfect, we sat on our bed ate out breakfast and watched the Olypics. No rushing around and plenty to eat.
The hotels staff recommended a fantastic Thai place called Vermillion, it is a taxi ride, but so worth it. It made out weekend very memorable.
Worth a visit."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008

Great transformation from a 70's office block

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"Stayed at the MacDonald Manchester on a Saturday night in August. Obtained a great rate on their website due to the fact that a lot of hotels in Manchester in early August discount their rooms due to the lack because of the holidays and having no football fixtures taking place.

The building once housed the offices of BT and the hotel group have done a great job in turning the 70's building into a wonderful hotel.

The rooms are very large and we had a wonderful bathroom that was immaculate with a bath and a double shower adjacent. Nice tolietries too. Rooms feel very contempary and the beds are comfortable.

The rooms on one side overlook a very busy road and intersection on the permiter of the city centre so can be very noisy (be warned). Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Had a look in the Spa which was very pleasant with a variety of steam and sauna rooms, massage showers etc, small gym but no pool.

£12 parking is standard I guess for a city centre hotel but they do have limited spaces. Very close to the railway station and about a 10 minute walk to Piccadilly Gardens and the main shopping area.

Good hotel if the price is right as this is an extremely competitive market, especially with the Crowne Plaza opening soon."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

brilliant view

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"Got a brilliant rate on this hotel by ringing direct - £80 was a bargain for the location and the facilities.

We were on the top floor, the room was massive, more like a suite (I must look into this to see if it was) . We never used the bath but had a separate shower which was very powerful. The toiletries werent that fantastic quality though. The tv was huge but we never used it and the sound coming out of the ipod speakers was amazing.

The hotel staff were very friendly. The bar was very quiet for a Friday night. Although, its very close to the station it is a off the main drag so you wouldnt pop in there for a drink, not like Mal.

The breakfast was disappointing though. There was plenty of room and good choice but, the pastries were stale and the coffee weak. The hot food just did not look appealing at all. Infact seeing a dustbin size pan of scrambled egg at that time of the morning just made me want to heave!!

All, in all, I would stay there again, thought it was head and shoulders above Malmaison."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of August 2008

Excellent deal and Hotel

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2013

"Booked Hotel for 1 night through Laterooms only paid
£50 for a double, which after staying at the hotel was one of the best deals I have ever had.

Getting there is easy just off A57 .
Parking is available at £12 per night, had I paid full price for the room I would have felt a little shafted at that but all in I was not bothered.

Checked in just after 2pm, reception was very good and we had a choice of rooms and chose the top floor.

Room was very very good with a very nice bathroom and quality fittings and a nice view over Manchester

Located right by the station and only 5-10 mins from the bars which was the purpose of the visit.

Never bothered with breakfast as it worked out almost as expensive for the 2 of us as the room was

I would recommend staying here , however if I had not secured the deal with late rooms I would probably have paid going rate as it was only a room for us to have a night out in Manchester and would not have been worth the rack rate"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of August 2008

Shame about brekkie

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2013

"Great location and hotel nicely kitted out with good sized bedrooms and great views over Manchester. The downside, however, becomes evident at breakfast time on weekends -- there is simply not enough space. Was told to wait 25 minutes for breakfast with many others in a room adjoining the restaurant. I gave up and checked out -- no mention of compensation when I pointed this out to the receptionist, even though I had paid for full breakfast. Ok, these things happen, but this was just deja vu from the last time I stayed there about a year ago when I was told to wait 45 minutes! Clearly, the hotel has decided it won't tackle the fundamental causes of the problem. Fortunately, there are plenty of decent hotels in Manchester so I won't need to queue for breakfast again!"

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2008

No openers on the windows!

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Very posh hotel if you are looking for something very modern. Diffiuclt to find you way around - it took us a long time to finally get to the beakfast area. One complaint would be that it was very stuffy at night and there were no openers on the windows - we asked if air con could be turned up but they said it was non adjustable which seemed bizarre. Breakfast was set out beautifully but we had finished eating before our tea and coffee arrived which again was disappointing for such a high standard hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2008

Amazing time at the Macdonald Manchester

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Had a relaxing stay at the Macdonald Manchester this weekend. Only 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly Station, you cant miss it the hotel is HUGE!
Check in fantastic they even let us check in 5 hours early! The hotel is very clean and modern, plenty of seating in reception and lifts up to the many rooms.
Rooms lovely a decent size, everything you need - very comfy king size bed , plasma tv , ironing board , kettle, large bathroom with bath and shower. Had a very comfortable nights stay.
Breakfast the following morning was the best we have ever had, a self serve buffet breakfast which consisted of toasts, various 'full english' items , cereals , pastries , fresh fruit and juices and as much tea and coffee as you can drink.
There was no queue for breakfast we were straight in and seated.
We made the most of the spa in the hotel and had a relaxing couple of hours in all the various steam and sauna rooms, very nice touch.
Overall had a fantastic stay would reccomend to anyone and will deffinatly return!!"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2008

Enormous Rooms!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Paid £80 for B&B which was excellent value. Room and bathroom very large and modern. Breakfast selection was very good but had to wait 15 mins to be seated as it was so busy. Overall however a very good value and quality hotel"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of August 2008

Hotels near Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Stayed at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa? Share your insight.

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa is also called