About Etrop Grange

• shops amenities
  • telephone
  • kids meals
  • newspaper
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • bridal suite
  • vip room facilities
  • free airport transportation
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • iron
  • special diet menus
  • paid private parking on site
  • 24 hour check in
  • coffee tea maker

A Bit Rancid

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"The tall, Ichabod Crane-like fellow at reception was most welcoming. And the driver who led me to the airport to return my rental car was helpful when I seriously needed help negotiating a confusing rental return system.

This place looks pleasant when you enter, but -- our room was shabby, not clean enough to suit our (finicky?) American standards. There was dust and crud in too many places. The doily on the drink tray was obviously left over from the previous occupants. There was a small protuberance from the middle of the bed rail -- a missing finial? -- that came close to gouging my husband's palm when he grabbed the rail. The blanket didn't look like anything I'd want to touch. When had it last been washed?

The glasses on the beverage tray were so streaked with what? --I hate to speculate -- that I took them to the manager. He held them up and shrugged, "Water stains." Well maybe so, but we like to drink from glasses that look CLEAN. He quickly provided me with two properly clean looking glasses.

When traveling from the front of the place to our room -- No. 63 -- an awful sewer odor was emanating from the stairs below as we passed the kitchen door. I learned to hold my breath. This didn't exactly perk up our appetites.

When I called the front desk for a wakeup call, the fellow reminded me that I could use the clock radio in the room. Well I KNEW that, but we wanted to be extra sure we'd be aroused at 6 a.m. And furthermore, the top of that white clock radio was so cruddy looking I didn't want to touch it. It should have been sprayed with a good household all-purpose cleaner -- or Clorox Cleanup -- if they have that in England.

Judging from some of the other reviews I've read, it appears that Etrop Grange has an uneven cleaning staff -- some do much better than others. We evidently got a slop pot.

Altogether a slightly creepy experience that we don't intend to repeat."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

very child unfriendly

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Have just returned from a weekend trip here for a family occasion, having several children in our party we decided to order food from the bar and were assured childrens meals were available. After ordering basic chicken nuggets, pizza and sausage and chips for kids (x7) and 3 adult bar suppers from the menu which ranged from £11 to £20. We were then charged £10.95 each for childrens meals, which kids didn't eat as wasn't exactly up to much. Stopped us from buying anymore food at hotel and as a consequence went out to eat for the rest of our stay. Children were also told to be quiet walking along corridors by various members of staff. Overall not a very child friendly kind of place. Would definitely give it a wide berth in future."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Perfect for flights from Manchester

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We had an early flight from Manchester so we decided to stay in a hotel the night before and take advantage of the many parking deals offered by many hotels. After a little looking around we booked a night at Etrop Grange (swayed by Trip Advisor reviews and the promise of a lift to the airport in a Jag!)

Once we found the hotel (forget using the AA route finder!! Just get a map!) we were happy to find a rather 'posh' looking country house. It's always nice to see a carpark full of Mercs, Jags and the like but be warned spaces are apparently always hard to find. We were lucky, we got the last one available.

On entering the reception we were greeted by name (always a nice touch!) by a smiley, young lady who was very polite and helpful where we check in and had explaned to us the procedure for leaving our car. (very straight forward.) We arrived at 10pm and after being shown to our room still had time to order food from the lunge menu and relax with a pint. =)

The public areas of the hotel are a bit on the compact side but it is an old counrty house after all and provided that homely feeling lost by some bigger hotels. The rooms are of a decent size and ours had an old stlye victorian cast iron bed that you need a leg up to get into. The bathroom was also of a good size and was clean with a bath and shower. Obviously I don't know what all the rooms are like but I imagine they are all pretty similar and I wouldn't agree with other reviewers who said they are 'small'. I think some people have very high expectations these days!

The next morning we were greeted by the same cheery receptioist and the whisked off the airport to catch our plane. The only down point was - no Jag! =( although it was a nice Merc people carrier.

On returning to pick up our car we simply asked for our keys at reception and jumped in our car which had been parked right outside.

All round a really nice hotel that I would certainly recommend to anyone flying out of Manchester!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006

Okay, very oldy worldy!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We were booked into this hotel as we were travelling from Manchester airport early the next day.

On arrival we were greeted and asked if we would like to book a table for dinner to which we did. Afterwards I wish we had just eaten in the bar! The restaurant was very nice but it was a 5 star, silver service restaurant.

The rooms were nice and extremely comfortable but hte hotel itself was a bit of a maze. Lots of half floors this of course is understandable as it would have been an old manor house at one time.

For an overnight stay near the airport it was just perfect. When we checked out in the morning we were dropped by the courtesy bus at the airport within 10 minutes of leaving the hotel which was just what we required."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of December 2005

Surprisingly good!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and I were looking for the most affordable place we could find since we just needed to stay there the night to catch an early flight out of Manchester airport the next morning.

So, considering this was the cheapest place we could find (60 pounds - there was a special event going on in the city that weekend) imagine our surprise when we were picked up at the airport in a beautiful silver mercedes - some complimentary shuttle service we thought!!! (The next day we had a mini bus but that was ok too because it was very prompt and left as soon as we needed it to).

The check in was quick and painless, the room was nice and comfortable, the shower had hot enough water, although the pressure could have been higher, and it was very quiet in our room even though as we passed by a huge wedding taking place on our way to our room.

Don't rely on the wake up call - they rang us about 10 minutes late.

Considering we weren't expecting anything special at all, we definitely were pleasantly surprised."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2005

a bad choice

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Booked this hotel through Lastminute.com from New Street Station in Birmingham. We were not told there was no lift, two flights with heavy bags is no fun. We had reserved a twin room and were given a double, but were changed to a twin with dirty towels, dirty bathtub, leaky toilet, and coffee tray that had not be restocked after the last tenants. Upon returning home we discovered that the price we paid should have included breakfast, however, the front desk informed us that it did not include breakfast. This is certainly not a 3 * hotel as it is advertised. We would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone and will only us Lastminute.com in last resort. The only good point to this hotel is the friendly and helpful porter/shuttle driver, Joe."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of August 2005

And it used to be so good!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"Good Reception, in our room very quickly. Room small, hot and claustrophobic, bed very uncomfortable, we felt very stuffy. Room service and food good.
They used to provide a personal transfer to the terminals, but we got a mini bus shared by others.
This hotel used to be excellent, an oasis away from the main airport chains, but sadly it has lost the personal touch and atmosphere it once had.
We have stayed here quite a few times, but the last twice have been very disappointing. Just a note, there is no lift and it can be quite a walk to get to your room.
Not the best start to a holiday! We shall have to find pastures new."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2005

Airport hotel, very nice

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"An overnight stay in this hotel was given to us as a wedding present, so we could stay on the night before we flew to cuba on honeymoon.
Beucase we mentioned our honeymoon they gave us a 4 poster bed with a spa bath.
the room was small but beautifully furnished and very comfortable.
The hotel was very nice, country house style, a nice change form the high tek tower block types you usually see. And a lift to the airport was included in our stay.
A very comfortable place to relax before a holida"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of June 2005