About Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

• shops amenities
  • telephone
  • vending machine
  • italian amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • free airport transportation
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • desk
  • iron

Too Hot

Reviewed Thu 31st of July 2014

"It was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel. The room was so hot I had to take a cold shower twice to cool down. For the price I paid I expected an air conditioned room. "

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2014

Trying to beat the heat

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We were only in this hotel for a few hours, so take this review for what it's worth. We booked the hotel in order to get a good night's sleep before flying out of Manchester in the morning. Unfortunately, we were in the midst of England's July heat wave and there was NO AIR CONDITIONING. Yes, I understand that many hotels in Europe have no air conditioning. However, this is an AIRPORT hotel. We didn't get our restful night before our flight, because we were very hot and it was very noisy (we were near an airport, of course).

Other than that, I have no complaints, I guess. The shuttle was fine. The check-in kiosk is very easy to use if there's a long line at the front desk."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Great for the price - try it!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I booked to stay here after having had a nice stay last October. Was not disappointed. For £69 a night this hotel is great. Last time I stayed in the "newer" wing but this time my room was in the slightly older part. Nevertheless, my room was huge, comfy and above all spotlessly clean. I was staying on business and so the large desk and chair was welcome. Bewleys also has free wireless internet which is a huge bonus - and reliable in the bar area or your room. Check in was a little slow but I put that down to the number of airport travellers coming and going.
You have to pay for breakfast on top but it is cheaper than most airport hotels I have stayed in and there is a good, fresh selection. Excellent hotel for a stopover."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

More hotel and less designer please.

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"Not so good stuff;

Poor directions provided by staff, no idea there was a shuttle bus to the hotel from the airport. Seems as though I was not the only person with this problem as I saw a lot of people walking to the hotel.

No aircon in the rooms. This is an airport hotel, are these people nuts? Don’t they realise that there are these really noisy things moving around outside, they’re called airplanes. Don’t expect to get any sleep if you are staying on a warm evening.

Tiny towels made of some kind of saucepan cleaning material. What is it with UK hotels in this regard?

Really awful bar food the teriyaki beef sandwich I had was pretty much inedible.

Tiny lifts and not enough of them. It’s a brand new building for gods sake not some ancient pile. What is it with UK hotels in this regard?

No business center. They have meeting rooms but no business center. Hmmm.

Door closers for rooms slam every door, really hard, every time. This is not really acceptble for an airport hotel where people are coming and going at all hours and there are people trying to stay on thier destination time zones and may be sleeping during the day.

Almost no parking.

Good stuff;

Very short walking distance from the terminal (good job really).
Friendly if amateurish front desk staff
Some friendly bar staff.
Reasonable rates.
Rooms are nice enough apart from the aircon."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

Too hot

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I had high expectations for this hotel and initially was not disappointed. It is very close (across a road) from terminal 3 but too far to walk if you have lots of luggage. We therefore booked the free courtesy bus.
The room (a "Family" room) was spacious with two large double beds. Decor was not new, but not shabby (bathroom seemed more recently decorated).
If you stop here I would definately recommend the restaurant whch we all thought was superb. The food and service was all top quality and the portions (main courses) are substantial. A very good restaurant indeed. The bar area is also nice.
So where did it go wrong? Well, first we arrived on a day (June 11) which was 28 degrees. The room did not feel hot when we checked it, but the temperature seemed to rocket later in the evening. There is no air conditioning. This led to one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had, and (ridiculous as it sounds) I resorted to filling the bath with cold water, then periodically getting out of bed to stand in it to cool me down. It really was that warm. Opening the window was no good as once open, the aircraft periodically taking off at night kept me awake. As a result I could only advise avoiding the hotel like the plague in the summer. They really need air con. I don't know if it will still be warm in the winter, but it can't possibly be as bad (I hope!).
Second, I paid £69 for the room and £30 for 7 nights parking- £99 right? Wrong! They hit you with a further £5 charge for parking there the night of the actual stay- i.e. you have 8 nights parking. This is sharp practise, even though it is only £5.
Third, my parents also had a room and paid cash. When I got my credit card statement they had charged me twice. When I rung them they said they had charged my parents room to my card, as my parents had not paid. Leaving aside the fact they had paid, this was cheeky in the extreme. It also took a number of calls before they finally removed the charge.
On the plus side the courtesy bus to and from the arport was superb- on time going out, and waiting when we came back.
So in summary, nice room, good location, good value and excellent restaurant with a good courtesy bus service. On the minus side be prepared to pay £5 more than you expected and don't stop here on a warm evening. If it hadn't been for the heat and 1 hours sleep I had, I would have given it 4 or 5 stars."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of June 2006

A Pleasant Surprise

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Based on reviews on this site we booked one night before an early morning departure across the Atlantic. We handed in our car at the airport, checked in at the "night before' facility and walked over to the hotel with our carry on from T1 in 5 minutes. Ok, it's an uncovered walk and may be a problem in really wet weather but the slight drizzle did not bother us. Our room was much better than expected, large with all modern inclusions, and has to be one of the value for money hotel rooms in the UK (esp when you are converting from GBP to Ausdol). The bed was comfortable and bathroom of very high standard. The bar was crowded and smokey (why doesn't England follow Scotland's lead and ban smoking in public places?) but well serviced. Thankfully the restaurant was non smoking and the food of surprisingly high quality. Service was also excellent.
Next morning check out was quick but confusion reigned with the shuttle service despite a previous night's booking. We took the easy option and walked back to T1.
Can highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of May 2006

Great hotel at good price

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"I chose to stay at this hotel because of the great reviews, the rooms are nice, clean, contemporary and had a good nights sleep. Transfers to terminal were free and easy.

Only problem we had is that they took the money off my card twice, I emailed them while on holiday to tell them, they didn't reply, but refunded one lot.

Would stay again."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of May 2006

Nice

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I booked this hotel at short notice - after having read the comments here. I wasn't disappointed. It's about a 3 minute walk to Terminal 3 (or there is a shuttle bus). Parking is very cheap - £25 for a week. You can also park for £5 per night, but you do have to be actually staying at the hotel to get this rate. I arrived late in the evening - reception was polite and efficient. They booked me into a large double room - clean and comfortable with a good bathroom. There is also a reasonable and cheap bar downstairs. In the mornings, an eat-all-you-want buffet breakfast is available for £6.50 - it was good food."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of May 2006

good for the price

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"stayed here one night with family , for the price this hotel can not be beaten.
check in ok receptionist got a little muddled , had one disabled room which was excellent
the other rooms good quality but not as good as disabled appeared a little older and dusty
saying that for the price its excellent value restaurant meal and service 10/10
shuttle to terminal friendly and efficient would stay here again no problem
last year unforunately stayed at britania country house ,which was worst hotel stay ever and cost more than here be warned"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of May 2006

Great value!

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Booked a one night stay with 15 days parking,for �109,which I think is a good deal.We had a room in older part which whilst clean looked a bit scuffed in places.However it did have 2 double beds,and all usual facilities.We decided to get train from airport into the city center in the evening.Shame that is not easier to walk from hotel to both station and terminal,we ended up dodging traffic.However I would stay again,no worries."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of May 2006

Excellent, No Complaints

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed for one night on the 9th of May, while over for to see Roy Keanes Testimonital in Old Trafford. We stayed out by the airport as we had an early return flight the next morning.
Hotel is spotless and staff are very polite.
Its a 5 min walk from the terminal but they have a courtesy coach. We nevered bothered with the coach as it was only a slow 5 min walk across.
Rooms very spacious and beds very comfortable.
All in All very impressed and will definately stay here again.

Thanks for reading."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of May 2006

boring

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Outside looked modern and chic but poor facilities, terrible service at reception. Poor breakfast service. no milk for tea. Told to go and get it from another table. After I checked out crarged £3.10 for 2 coffees.

Rooms ok, clean, but sparse. Limited room service ( cold sandwiches only) .

Nothing on the radisson sas.

wont visit again"