De Vere Tortworth Court

room to hot and stuffy

Reviewed Tue 28th of July 2015

"don't complain as you get a rude response. No point in writing as Stacy the relations manager only wants to help you if you return and let her know you are staying, with what i wonder! We wanted a refund for the breakfast we did not have, as we checked out at am. feeling ill with the excessive heat and stuffiness of our room (12 ) not for the faint hearted.
the night duty porter/manager was pleasant and suggested we wrote to the hotel which we did twice.
we were told no refund would be allowed, as we did not go with our list of complaints before checking out.
i wish the relations manager had been there feeling as ill as we did with the heat of the room at 4.30am. and it raining so hard outside we had no where to go. it was a relief to get away.
no point in complaining as nothing gets done
staff need training in manners.

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2015

A definite no no!!

Reviewed Wed 12th of November 2014

"Quite honestly the worst customer service I have experience in my life and I’m no youngster! If you’re looking to hold any sort of occasion there and want to be treated with any sort of courteous or respect, please steer well clear of Tortworth Court. My family’s treatment by this hotels meetings and events team especially the manager has been deplorable.
Don’t be fooled by the beauty of the place, and it certainly is, but without a decent staff running the hotel this really is insignificant.
A large and lovely looking Faulty Towers set in attractive and historical grounds but without a soul, stay well clear.

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2014

Great Location, Terrible Experience

Reviewed Tue 10th of June 2014

"To set the scene, we were on our first night away from our children since our youngest was born back in November. We had planned to have a nice, relaxing evening with some dinner at a hotel that wasn’t too far away from home. We were recommended Tortworth court as a great hotel in a great location. We booked the room at the beginning of last week and took your booking agents advice to upgrade to a “Connoisseur room” coupled with dinner in your Moretons restaurant. The benefits of the room were communicated as, a better room, upgraded cosmetics, wine and snack basket and a complimentary newspaper, this all seemed worth the added expense.

When we arrived we were impressed with the building and location, the setting seemed perfect for our night away. The gentleman at the check-in desk was really courteous and we were told our dinner reservations were confirmed for 7:15, he asked whether we would like a paper and, as it was included in the room, we said yes please. When we got to our room, the doubts started to creep in. Firstly the bathroom was hardly superior to anything we had experienced in our previous hotel stays. The room was slightly larger but sparsely provisioned save for the bed, which was far too hard (the pillows were of similar standard). As we got ready for dinner we heard something that would continue for the rest of the evening, the jangling of glass bottles being emptied into the bins, directly below us. It was really warm on Saturday so we couldn't even shut the windows to help muffle the noise slightly.

When we went back down to get a drink, the bar was well appointed and a quick trip out onto the terrace to enjoy our drinks helped to calm us both down, your gardens are lovely and the setting is really beautiful. We then came back into the restaurant for dinner and the disappointments resumed. My mashed potato had a skin on it, which I can only assume was from being left under the heat lamps whilst they overcooked my wife’s steak. The dining experience was average at best, we felt like the team were rushing through first service to ensure they could clean down for the second seating.

When we returned to our room the jangling of glass was now accompanied by a wedding disco, you can imagine our dissatisfaction. We hadn't been informed by the booking agent or the front desk that there was a wedding scheduled for the evening. Whilst it wouldn't be a surprise for a wedding to be happening in June, it did seem counter intuitive to place a non-wedding guest directly over the wedding disco. When the music subsided well after 11pm, we were both well past the point of having a relaxing weekend. The next morning, after a fitful night of sleep due to the on-going bins and the firmness of the bed, we went down to breakfast. Again this was just as unsatisfactory as dinner, hot plates with bacon and sausages swimming in grease and an entirely disinterested staff who didn’t have time to get us any tea or coffee. Needless to say we packed our bags and left as quickly as possible. We didn’t bother to contest the £2.50 we’d been charged for the “complimentary” newspaper as it seemed too likely to involve a heated exchange at the front desk due to our mood.

When I raised these issues with the four Pillar team via email they did their level best to avoid any sort of engagement around reimbursement for our evening, even though they admitted it had been their error that we had been placed where we were. Instead they choose to offer platitudes around how staff were now being trained to avoid these mistakes in the future.. It would seem that the corporate takeover at Four Pillars has done little to help their customer relations and a group of hotels, that once had a good reputation in the area, is rapidly going backwards"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of June 2014

Wow factor lost after reception.

Reviewed Fri 2nd of August 2013

"After driving down the road and viewing reception, the wow factor was lost. The room was located in an annex from the main building, was difficult to find, and access via a tacky corridors started to make the heart sink. The room was under average for a 4 star hotel, and the view from the bedroom window unto some shipping containers was as uninteresting as the tired decor. An infestation of ants in the bathroom sink which constantly needed cleaning really made me wish i had booked elsewhere.
We did ask for a change of room, but as a w/e weeding was planned it was advised that our room would be much quieter in the evening due to the noise.

No resemblance to the pictures of a stately home, just a tacky hotel room situated in a tack corridor, well from main building

Owners take note, I will be sharing my views with many agencies."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of July 2013

Tortworth Four Pillars Hotel Wotton Under Edge

Reviewed Mon 10th of November 2008

"My husband and I recently stayed for one night at the hotel, and had a fantastic time. Our room was lovely offering all facilities needed. We had an evening meal and breakfast. The food was lovely and the service was great. The main house was a little noisey but there was a wedding going on. I would like to repeat the experience again ASAP."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of November 2008

We are a family of five (2 Adults, 3 chi...

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2008

"We are a family of five (2 Adults, 3 children) booked in for a two night break B & B.
We had two rooms booked, both were clean and to a standard you would expect.
My only complaint would be the rooms are very warm and it can be a long walk to reception/restaurant etc. The hotel is fabulous from the outside, the building and the gardens are a pure pleasure to walk round. Inside there are areas looking a bit worn-out, but overall it is well maintained. The breakfast in the morning was in a fantastic room which overlooked the front gardens. The weekend we were their on both mornings the sun was shining with clear blue skies and the view from this grand room was lovely. The breakfast was very good a large variety of items to choose from and all items were replenished on a regular basis. The pool was on the small side but adequate. The gym was small but had all the basic items. The changing room could do with updating. We did not eat at the hotel in the evening as we preferred to explore the local pubs. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and efficient. My only gripe would be the bar men who kept calling me mate!!!! First of all I am not their mate and what ever happened to sir, how can I help you.

• Travel date: Wed 20th of February 2008

All eight of us had a really great time....

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2007

"All eight of us had a really great time.

The hotel was lovely, the service was good.

The rooms and food, as with all facilities were excellent.

Highly recommended.

We all hope to visit again to re-live the wonderful experience!"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break...

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2007

"Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break at the end of September, and it was fine.

The package we booked included some beauty treatments, and two night’s dinner.

Breakfast was very busy, and so was dinner in the main restaurant. No complaints over the food at all really. It was good, but the service was a bit slow.

They have another restaurant, but we didn't get to try it, as it was full. - Looked like a wedding going on.

The room we had was big, and could fit a cot in, but it was a long walk from reception to our room. Thankfully they have porters in hand.

Would I go back? Yes if I wanted to go to Bristol or the Cotswolds, but I wouldn't make a special journey. Saying that, I found it to be a good hotel and worth the money.

• Travel date: Fri 12th of October 2007

No service throughout hotel, food cold,...

Reviewed Sat 7th of July 2007

"No service throughout hotel, food cold, greasy over under cooked, seemes it is plated up the day before and reheated.

Dirty rooms soiled linens and used soaps left in room.

Book in the local Travelodge and spend saved money in local pub and you will not be disappointed as it could not be any worse."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

Not That Good

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"It's not a terrible hotel, but it's not great either. There are some details where they have tried to save a few pence instead of spending the extra in order to make you feel really comfortable (thin loo roll, old blankets).

Drinks at the bar are expensive.

Breakfast to our room arrived half an hour late. And with no salt.

Our room, at the back of the hotel in the modern extension, was fine but very hot. The shower temperature couldn't be turned down, the windows were locked shut, and after two of us had showered in the morning we had to make a really quick exit as the heat and humidity were unbearable.

I wouldn't even think about staying here in the winter, as the gardens, which really are stunning, are the main selling point."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

What happened to the menu

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My partner and I stayed last weekend at the Tortworth Court. All the reviews are right about the lovely building and gardens etc. The leisure facilities were good but unfortunately the beauty clinic was fully booked the whole weekend. Our room was quite large and perfectly adequate but very very hot, as if the central heating had been left on. Our biggest gripes were the price of the drinks at the bar, 1 single whisky 1 Baileys over £10 and the food in Moretons Restaurant. I had a sample menu sent to me previous to arriving which looked lovely. We got into the restaurant and found it was a carvery and not a very good one at that. Puny piece of pork and beef bourgignon that looked and tasted like last nights stew along with luke warm veg. Not very appetising. Would not stay again."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005

Wonderful hotel

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I found this hotel to be a gem, the setting is wonderful, it's a gothic mansion and when you finally get down the drive it does have the wow factor. Most of the rooms are in the extension which has been well done, at the rear of the building. My only gripe was that it was a bit of a labyrinth getting to the room, but once there the room was lovely. Leisure facilites are good, the garden well you have just got to go for a walk around. Excellent service at breakfast. In fact excellent service with friendly staff. My husband's comment was "Can't wait to go back"."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of June 2005

Hotels near De Vere Tortworth Court

Top traveller tips for De Vere Tortworth Court

•  solocornet by solocornet

"Ask for a modern room. "

• goldberg-elliott by goldberg-elliott

"bring our own air conditioning and food and fridge. "

De Vere Tortworth Court is also called