We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

De Vere Cotswold Water Park

Lake 6, 17 Spine Rd E, South Cerney GL7 5FP England

Very relaxing weekend

Good

"Myself and my partner stayed at the Cotswolds Waterpark Hotel from 15th-17th February 2008. I booked the room directly through the hotel and found that they offered the best deals. I wanted a suite overlooking the lake, I was advised that none of these rooms were available, the member of staff I spoke to was very helpful and advised she would put us in a self-catering room with seated area and would try to give us a lake view.

I was not disappointed........when we arrived following a stressful journey, we were made to feel very welcome and went to our room. I was amazed, it was by far the best accommodation I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in some lovely hotels. The room or should I say apartment consisted of a large hallway, fully equipped modern kitchen, dinning area and large seating area all overlooking the lake. There was a seperate double bedroom and bathroom. Both rooms had flat screen TV's and excellent modern decor. The accommodation was clearly new and was finished to a very high standard. When we woke up in the morning, we had the most beautiful view accross the lakes. The hotel is situated in a fantastic position.

Dinner the first night was lovely in the restaurant, very good service, it was a la carte with about 5 choices for starter, the same for main and desert. I am vegetarian and there was plenty of options for me!

Dinner the second evening was a bit of a disaster. The restaurant was full to capacity with people queuing out of the door for a table. You must book your table in advance, but it would appear that they overbooked. We arrived at 7pm and ended up walking out at 10pm due to lack of service and having sat for such a long time. The food we did get was very nice, and the serving staff who were there were clearly run off their feet but, they did not have nearly enough staff and the atmosphere was very uncomfortable. The manager did give us free drinks, but it was a bit late by then.

The breakfast both mornings was very good, a buffet with plenty variety but, again the serving staff were run off their feet and the atmosphere strained.

We used the gym in the hotel and found this to be excellent. The equippment was excellent for a hotel gym and the gym instructor very helpful.

I found the spa area a bit of a let down as the picture and description make it sound big with lots of extras however, this was not the case. It consists of a small pool with jucuzzi which is in the same pool. There was a sauna and steam room (the steam room out of order) and a shower area. I was expecting a little more. The other down side is at weekends children are allowed in. I have no children myself, but, don't mind them but there lots of them and they were running wild...............so much for a relaxing spa. I did not use the treatment area but it looked nice.

All in all we had a very good weekend and I would definately recommend the hotel. Our experience at dinner would not put us off it was just unfortunate and the staff although very stressed were as helpful as they could be. I would suggest it is a teething problem as it has not been open long."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of February 2008

Stunning location, awful breakfast

"The hotel is set in stunning grounds and we had a room overlooking the lake, which in the morning is stunning, very peaceful. The hotel is still very new and the reception staff are very welcoming, unfortunately it is completely open plan so when the front door opens the draught is uncomfortable. The bar menu is slightly overpriced. On the 2nd night we went into the restaurant, service was ok, (I work in hotels). Food was not 4 star quality, we ordered drinks just after finishing our main course, but they had not arrived by the time we had eaten dessert and cheese so cancelled them.. Looked very short staffed for the amount of people in. Went to bar and ordered a coke, asked the barman to change the syrup as coke tasted of soda only to be met with a filthy look. Next morning came for breakfast , hard fried eggs and very unappetising buffet breakfast.
Lucky I was not an AA Inspector!! Otherwise depsite poor F&B side of things hotel is a perfect base. We are trying a little guest house in Bourton on the Water next time.. So will see how that compares!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of February 2008

Nice Setting

"This is a new Hotel on the very edge of the Cotswolds. I don't live far from the Hotel but attended a function and decided to stay the night.
The hotel is in a very pleasant location and because it is new is very clean and tidy. The room was OK but we only had a view of the car park. It would be worth asking for a room overlooking the lake. The room was a good size with a lot of unused space but for some reason only had a small double bed. The Spa facilities are very basic and very small, as the hotel was busy the Spa was also too busy. Breakfast was OK but again as the hotel was full there was a huge queue which resulted in a long wait even though there were spare tables in the restaurant.
I cannot comment on the restaurant at night as we didn't use it.
Overall a lovely location and an OK hotel. It is not worth the £155 they ask for a standard room rate and if you do intend to stay make sure that you ask how busy the hotel is. It does struggle to cope with lots of people at once."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of February 2008

Not a restful weekend

"The setting of the hotel is fantastic, breathtaking scenery. Inside, the reception area looks lovely, as did the room, however after going for dinner it all went downhill. We were told there were no tables for an hour and half, so went for a drink. The bar is next to reception, and every time the door opened there was a really cold breeze across the entire bar. When we got into the restaurant, it was empty, and we were only then told it was a buffet, with 4 options only. If we had been told this, we would have gone elsewhere for dinner. The food was way below average, roast potatoes that had solidified and gravy with no taste at all. We then went to bed, and were woken every 20 mins or so by people walking past the room. They were not being particularly loud, but there was no sound insulation at all.

We went there for a relaxing weekend in nice surroundings with good food. All we got was the nice surroundings!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2008

Fabulous Retreat

"If you are looking for a short break away with modern, stylish surroundings in a laid back environment then I would highly recommend
this hotel. We chose it as a post Christmas break and have just returned feeling revived and ready for the new year. I would recommend
staying in one of the suites, it is not much more to upgrade and although I didn't see a standard room to compare, I'm it was worth
that little extra... Enjoy"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of December 2007

Modern and New

"My husband and I stayed at The Cotswold Water Park Hotel for 2 nights for our first wedding anniversary. We booked a Connoisseur Room with Balcony but when we got to our room we were not impressed considering the additional money we paid to upgrade. My husband politely asked if there were any other rooms available for us and when they phoned us back we were offered the Honeymoon Suite as a gesture of good will. Gemma from reception met us at our room withing a few minutes and showed us to our new and improved room. The suite was so beautiful; we were so impressed with it. Lovely and comfortable king size bed overlooking the lake, huge walk in shower and bath tub in a separate room. Large corner sofa, long desk, mini fridge and table with 2 chairs. It really was nice.

Our rate included breakfast and dinner. We were not expecting much having read previous reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. We had roast lamb the first night and roast beef the next night. For starters I had Prawn Caesar Salad one night and Duck and Orange Pate the next. My husband had Melon & Raspberry Sorbet one night and Soup the next. For dessert we had chocolate fudge cake and apple pie. I could not fault any of the food. There was also a good wine list which was reasonably priced.

Breakfast was very good and included Full English and Continental. There were sausages, bacon, hash browns, eggs, beans etc, cold meats, pastries, muffins, cereals, speciality teas, fresh fruit, dried fruit and fruit juices.

The leisure facilities were nice and included a well equiped gym (TV screens on cardio machines), swimming pool, jacuzzi (cold), steam room (beautiful), sauna (not that hot) and fantastic experience showers - caribbean rain, atlantic ocean and fresh. The ice bucket shower was out of order - sounds painful anyway.

We also ate once in the lounge bar, which was a little pricey but the hotel attracts a lot of business people so it is to be expected. We had paninis which were very nice.

We wanted a relaxing break in nice surroundings and that is exactly what we got. I would recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

No air-con...

"The first thing I can say is that any newly-built 4-star hotel should surely have air-conditioning as standard - this place does not (I know of at least 3 rooms that did not have it installed) - even though the rooms are decent enough in a nice location. I'd imagine you would have to leave the door open in the summer but with all those reeds on the lake you could be bitten alive by mosquitoes! Staff generally helpful and nice, though this did not apply to everyone. Also being a real-ale drinker was highly disappointed by the lack of selection for the Cotswolds - just the one. Though the real bonus for this place is without doubt the location. Before booking at the height of summer, call to confirm if the room is air-conditioned (interesting to see the response)."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of November 2007

Lovely hotel but...

Good

"We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and loved the place. I can only echo the people below with regard to the setting, cleanliness etc. All are excellent. But they are also right about the restaurant. Friday night's sitting was akin to eating in a service station. I am always suspicious of food that arrives within 30 seconds of ordering. You know it's been plated and sitting for a while. As with previous reviewer our wine order was taken after our food order and did not arrive until our starter was over. Our main courses were pretty grim, overcooked trout and dried up beef in red wine. Saturday however was a huge improvement. Senior restaurant staff seemed embarrassed about our previous night's experience but not surprised. As these reviews are consistent since the opening in August, is no one from Four Pillars taking any notice??"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of November 2007

Lovely new Spa hotel near Cirencester

"Brand new Four Pillars Hotel and 6Spa opened August 07 and we were 2 ladies enjoying a short break. The rooms were as all hotel rooms but were clean and had wonderful views over one of the lakes that make up the Cotswold Water Parks. The communal ares were light and modern and the dining room was exceptional. However what made this break so good was the staff who were , without exception, well mannered, helpfuland very professional. The Spa was of a good standard and again the staff were charming. Well done!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of October 2007

Wont be going there again

"We booked in for 2 nights but 1 was more than enough. The room was pleasant with nice views but the food, especially in the evening was dreadful - we only had fish and chips but it was cold, the fish batter soggy and the chips dripping in fat."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of October 2016

Hotels near De Vere Cotswold Water Park

Stayed at De Vere Cotswold Water Park? Share your insight.

De Vere Cotswold Water Park is also called