Spotless!

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"Stayed at the HIE Cheltenham with my 19 year old daughter for a shopping trip. The hotel is spotlessly clean and very well appointed. We enjoyed a visit to the Brewery complex opposite the hotel including a meal at the Prezzo restaurant and a visit to the cinema. Breakfast is basic but acceptable. We would undoubtedly stay here again if in Cheltenham. Having stayed at other HIEs, this one is the best so far."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of July 2009

Excellent location, great for the money.

Reviewed Fri 1st of March 2013

"My husband and I have just come back from 2 nights at this hotel. I booked it after it was reccomended to us by friends. Completed the booking online and had an excellent rate of £44 per room per night.
Check in was fine and the room was exactly what we needed for our 2 night stay, very clean and well presented.
The location was fab, walking distance to the town centre. Over the road was a complex which had various bars and restaurants including Nandos and Frankie and bennys. You also get a discount in some of the places for staying at the hotel. If the weather is bad, there is also a cinema in the same complex.
Breakfast was simple but nice, wasn't expecting anything for the rate we paid so was very pleased that it was included. Don't expect a cooked breakfast though!
Staff were very helpful and welcoming. Would definately stay again.
Parking is in the NCP next to the hotel. The hotel validates the ticket so it only cost £4.50 for the entire stay.
For fitness freaks, there is no gym but there is a fitness first in the complex over the road and you can use the facilities to your hearts content."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of June 2009

Great value, convenient and comfortable with extra features!

Reviewed Tue 26th of February 2013

"This is a really good value hotel!! Also its quite comfortable and the design is fresh and bright albeit compact. Rooms have a tidy bathroom a lounge and a flat screen TV that doubles as an internet point. Included in the deal during April this year was free use of the local Fitness First gym and generous discounts at local restaurants. The gym is 3 minutes walk from the hotel- so I went twice - F.F. staff were well aware of the offer and welcoming. For the price I could not fault it. The staff were quick to react to any requests, very helpful and also readily pointed out the extras on offer (unlike some other hotels I've stayed in which tend to hide these). The only disappointment was that breakfast, which was pretty good, was not well serviced and the morning TV programs blared out over the big screen making it not such a pleasant environment. More attention needed here by staff I think. In any case the hotel was understandably busy because of the genuinely good value offered. I paid $114 AUD for one night in a double room and I thoroughly recommended it at this price."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of May 2009

Clean and comfortable

Reviewed Sun 24th of February 2013

"We stayed here for 2 nights in May 2009. We were four ‘mature’ ladies on a walking weekend. We had a really good deal of £44 per room per night, including breakfast.
The hotel had only been opened a year or so and it still felt very new, clean and smart. Check-in was quick and easy. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. We had rooms number 330 and 332. We had asked for two connecting rooms so that we could all chat to each other while in our rooms. Our rooms were clean and modern. Room 330 was particularly spacious as it had been designated as a room with facilities for disabled people, so was especially roomy. Because it was made suitable for disabled guests, the bathroom was of the ‘wet room’ style where there was no shower tray and just a curtain to pull across. There were many special facilities installed for the disabled in the bedroom and bathroom but this not detract from the comfort of the room. Although the hotel is close to a main road, the rooms were relatively quiet (apart from a large contingence of noisy males who were staying in the hotel for some event). The room had a TV, hairdryer, large white fluffy towels, internet access and tea/coffee making facilities. There was not much room for laying out or hanging clothes but sufficient for a weekend. Breakfast was taken in a restaurant on the ground floor. It was continental buffet style with an adequate selection on offer. The hotel seemed very popular and busy with couples and families as well as groups of singles (which I thought was a good sign in the middle of a recession). Parking was in a very new NCP car park next to the hotel and guests are given a special rate, which I think was £4 for the weekend stay. The hotel was not far from the town centre. Opposite the hotel is an entertainment complex called The Brewery where there are quite a few eating places. There was access to a nearby Fitness Centre but we did not try it."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of May 2009

Pristine modern and comfortable chain hotel.

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"Conveniently located for a short walk to shops, restaurants & theatres. New, comfortable and thoughtfully designed budget option, presented in a very clean state. Friendly staff. Parking opposite, hotel will make a one-off charge and revalidate your ticket as you come and go."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of May 2009

Basic But Nice

Reviewed Mon 25th of February 2013

"Great foyer - nice bar - good location - Friendly staff

Rooms ok - Single beds - shower. Not great for someone who like double beds and baths. Parking is in an NCP next door.

No complaints really"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of May 2009

Great location, very friendly efficient staff & value for money

Reviewed Wed 20th of February 2013

"Once you manage to negotiate Cheltenhams one way systems, with NCP parking right next door at a bargain price, it's a fantastic hotel. No luxuries of course, but super friendly and efficient staff, nice rooms, very clean, quiet (we had a room at the back - I guess if you were facing the road that might be different) and very comfortable beds. Simple breakfast included. Would recommend and would stay again."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of April 2009

Cheltenham Hotel - Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Hotel

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"I have just returned from an Easter Trip to Cheltenham, and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Hotel.

The hotel is very well appointed with very clean rooms, friendly and efficent staff, and an excellent complimentary breakfast.

I booked via my accommodation early by using http://www.hiexcheltenham.com/ and I got a great deal.

I would certainly recommend using this hotel to any business or leisure visitors to the area."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of April 2009

Good accessiblity for a wet, one-night stay

Reviewed Tue 19th of February 2013

"We booked on line, contacting the hotel personally as is our habit to be sure of a wheelchair accessible room, and were not disappointed with any aspect except the usual 'two twin beds' being the only handicapped-accessible room option.

Trim, modern room overlooked the busy Swindon Road (A4019), but good soundproofing meant it wasn't noisy, and good thick curtains blocked streetlights well. Unequivocally the *best* bedside reading lights we found in 10 days of hotels around southern England! Bathroom was generally very well done for access, with very good locations for fittings and sturdy grab bars; only the very tiny shower chair let down the side: hard to use safely without assistance if you have no lower body strength or balance.

Bar was empty when we first went down, but filled up with surprisingly boisterous groups of business people. On recommendation of helpful front desk staff, we bundled up against pouring rain and tried the big entertainment complex kitty-corner opposite the hotel, and dined pleasantly if slowly at Prezzo. Missed breakfast at the hotel the next morning due to over-sleeping, but polite staff pointed out yoghurt and cheese in a cool cabinet, as well as the last two buns.

Navigational note: the hotel's entrance and unloading bay on Dunalley Street are one-way against you if you drive in on Swindon Rd. Turn down Brunswick or Manson and loop on St Pauls Road to come up Dunalley. Car parking is subsidised at the neighboring NCR car park, but it's easier to unload beside the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

Central location

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed here on a Friday night in Jan 09 and got a fantastic rate of £42.99. Location is great - very central and easy walking distance of the main shopping area of Cheltenham. There is a leisure complex over the road consisting of a CineWorld cinema, and various (mainly chain) restaurants such as Frankie & Bennys, Prezzo, Nandos etc. Hotel customers can get a discount at many of the restauarants and also get free acess to Fitness First (gym & pool) which is very good.

Parking is not on-site but in the NCP car park across the road. Hotel customers can validate their tickets in the hotel for a special rate of £2.95 which is good value. Both the hotel and carpark are very new and the carpark felt safe and secure.

The room was typical HIExpress - compact but clean and functional. TV was a flatscreen Samsung with Freeview channels. Although in the middle of town, the room was very quiet (apart from the aircon which can make odd noises all night). Breakfast is help-yourself continental and is included in the room rate. Good value.

My only disappointment was that there appeared to be no Wi-Fi which I found odd in a new hotel. Mobile reception was very poor also (no 3G or even Edge)."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of January 2009

Excellent Location

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"I stayed here with my Husband and the in-laws after a day at the races. We have travelled down to Cheltenham a few times before and stayed in hotels and B&B's in the area. This Holiday Inn offers a brilliant location and great value for money compared with other hotels in the area. The rooms are everything you need for a short break. Holiday Inn's are all up to a standard quality, clean, good bed, good shower and plenty of tea bags in your room!
The hotel is easy to find from the motorway and right on the fringe of the town centre.
The breakfast is continental, i.e. croissants, pastry, fruit, cheese, etc.. with the option to make yourself fresh toast. Free newspapers are offered in the eating area and there is juice, tea and coffee available.
Overall I think this is a great value place to stay, although it does get booked up early for the races as they are one of the only hotels I know of that don't hike their prices when a meeting is on!"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of January 2009

Immaculate!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"This hotel would be a little tricky to find but no problem as used satnav. Parking for the hotel is NCP opposite and charge was refunded by the hotel.
Check-in was the only point I could complain about as it took quite a while, other than that the hotel was brilliant, very nice continental breakfast, great location opposite a small shopping centre and not far to walk to the main shopping area, the main good point was the cleanliness...immaculate hotel!

I would definately recommend!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2009