The Superior Double Room at the Clarence Court Hotel

Good
Good

My favourite

Reviewed 13th April 2016

"Comfortable, relaxed and well managed. I have stayed here between 1999 and 2005 with my dog and we both were more than satisfied. Returned on my own last week after a break of 11yrs and was impressed by the changes with respect to decor etc. The cuisine and menu are first class, and above all the warm, personable and caring staff make this wonderful historical hotel, a home from home. Robin Manley"

• Travel date: 11th April 2016

An unremarkable stay in shabby-ville

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We stayed at the Clarence Court Hotel for one night as we were in town for a wedding. The hotel's location is excellent - a 5 minute walk to the centre of Cheltenham, plus free parking in the hotel's forecourt. Service was pretty much non-existant, but I guess we didn't need much. Our room was on the top floor (room 23). The room was spacious and bright. It was clean and comfortable enough, but really shabby. The bathroom wasn't nice - carpeted, a 40w bulb, no extractor and very tired. The walls had screws sticking out and a patchwork of repairs. The view from our room was terrible. We overlooked the hotel's rear 'garden' which was a junk yard of abandoned paint tins and broken furniture. The hotel has no sound-proofing, so you can hear creaking floorboards, banging doors, talking in the hallway. It's also really creepy, makes strange noises and it felt there was someone in the room with us...! Breakfast was decent, but we were asked to leave the dining room before we had finished so they could clear up! At £85 per night, the hotel didn't represent good value and we won't be returning."

• Travel date: 13th May 2007

The 70s live on - in a bad way

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"Booked last minute from Laterooms.com. Hotel looks good from outside and in lobby, and location is fine. Room was tiny though, with woodchip wallpaper with holes in, showing flaking plaster. Lights had been added with random wires run up the wall, tv was easily 20 yrs old and on bracket that had about 25 degree lean, only one channel had signal After I had dumped my bags and got into bed (arrived late and tired) I realised that the room had not been hoovered in some time and was covered in crumbs and hairs. Very poor indeed - my worst stay in a long time, and I spend a lot of time on the road. AVOID!!"

• Travel date: 7th December 2006

great!

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"great - lovely big room and bed, good bathroom and powerful shower, nice view, delicious breakfasts, friendly staff, and fab location!!"

• Travel date: 24th September 2006

Very Central Location

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Excellent location, the hotel is situated in a beautiful square over looking a park, it’s a very short walk into the town centre, parking on site is a bit tight & limited so get there early, you can park overnight in the street outside with no problems, but there are parking restrictions so best to check with reception. Our room was very small with a sink in the room, but an adequate WC shower/bath in the bathroom & much joy NO SHOWER CURTAIN, but a screen! The bed was very comfortable with the crisp clean white linen. This is my second visit to the hotel & the room I had last time was much larger with a marvellous view over the park & the square. The “Full Monty” English breakfast is not to be missed, if you’ve been staying in hotel chains this hotel is bit different & offers some old fashion English charm & all for £75 a night!"

• Travel date: 18th July 2006

Never Ever Again

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"I attended a wedding in January with my fiance, staying in room 2 directly opposite the reception, which is not ideal but for one night is ok. We informed the hotel over email that we were both vegan, and asked if they would cater for us for breakfast. We were told yes, we'd be catered for. We were not. Not even soya milk was provided, and when we asked if breakfast ingredients could be cooked in oil we were told no, they couldn't. Things got worse. We left a suit in the room by accident and contacted the hotel to request they send it on and we would reimburse all postage costs. About 10 phonecalls later (approx 3 weeks) we were told it had been sent to the wrong guest! This contradicted other stories so it is difficult to know what is true. To date (3 months after the wedding) the suit has still not been returned, no compensation has been offered and our telephone calls do not get returned. I have never had the misfortune to stay in such a badly run, dull, scruffy hotel in my life. Never, ever again."

• Travel date: 17th April 2006

Fantastic!!

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"What a little gem! This hotel is perfectly placed for the centre of town and as we came for the sales it was great + no need to get a taxi after a good night out. The welcome was very friendly and parking is no problem. The reception is a little tired but the room was newly decorated and had a good shower. The bar and dining room are cosy and the breakfast one of the best I have had anywhere. Very good value for money, I would recomend."

• Travel date: 21st January 2006

Disappointing!,

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"50 a night, headboard not fixed to wall, light in bathroom missing, had to balance kettle on book as socket too high! Tatty decor...complained but no response! Beds and bedding very good as well as breakfast. Room different to one agreed on telephone which apparently was 'the last one left'"

• Travel date: 26th December 2005

Worst ever overnight stay

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Despite an attractive building on a beautiful square in Cheltenham, the hotel was beyond disappointing. The whole place, other than the dining room, is long overdue for complete refurbishment, but prices did not reflect this. It was not just tired but had the look of a student bedsit, eg, threadbare carpets, stuffing in chairs in bedroom hanging out, many holes in walls from previous fixtures, wallpaper hanging off walls etc. Bed linen and towels were however good. But my main complaint is reserved for the cooked breakfast which I never received despite being in the dining room from 8:35 to 9:30. The waitress brought the wrong order to my table (two cooked items instead of 4). It went back to the kitchen and I waited 25 minutes. The chef apparently refused to do anything about it but other cooked breakfasts kept coming out for the guests on 4 or 5 other tables, who had arrived long after me, and even after my plate went back. The waitress, whom I chased 3 times, apologised that she had no influence over the chef and there was no-one else to complain to. I refused to pay for breakfast at Reception but was offered no apology, and was advised that I already had a deal on the room - of which I was unaware as I had not requested one, nor been advised I had been given one. The tarif of £75 per night fell in the middle of the range advertised by the hotel."

• Travel date: 10th October 2005

The Plumber On Leave

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"We came to Clarence Court Hotel in July and after a long journey we longed to have a shower. We got that, but the water was cold. We contacted the reception clerk who said hot water would come if we let the water run a while. But it didn't. The next morning we repeated the problem after waiting ten minutes for the clerk to appear. No excuses, no repairs. At last we paid ten pounds less than agreed and went away. So do not expect to have a warm shower at this hotel."

• Travel date: 16th August 2005

Love this place!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Stayed at this hotel on several occasions, very nice hotel, friendly staff, excellent service, excellent value for money. Very relaxing, excellent fully equiped luxurious rooms, recommend this hotel whole heartedly."

• Travel date: 12th June 2004

Hotels near Clarence Court Hotel

Top traveller tips for Clarence Court Hotel

• by Robin M

"I booked a deluxe room , you get what you pay for."

Clarence Court Hotel is also called