About Old Manse Hotel

• hungarian amenities
  • romanian amenities

Excellent value for money

Reviewed 5 months ago

"We had to wait 20 minutes to check in as they were short staffed but Hannah was amazing throughout our stay, she couldn't have been more helpful. Loved the room, bed clean and comfortable, bathroom and towels clean but very dusty skirting boards and could have done with a Hoover. All in all though, pleased with the room. Food was pleasant and very good value for money. Hilariously sloping floors, would definitely stay again. Bourton on the Water is a gorgeous place with plenty to do for a weekend if you don't want to use your car during your stay."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2018

Family Reunion

Reviewed Tue 1st of April 2014

"We recently held a family reunion at the Old Manse Hotel, 11 of us stayed overnight and 4 joined us for dinner on the Saturday night. We were all had comfortable rooms, thought the meals excellent value and were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We were all agreed that we want to stay there again next year. Our only criticism was that the car-park was a bit on the small side. "

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2014

Excellent hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of October 2011

"My mother and I have just returned from staying the Old Manse Hotel. From the moment we arrived the manager, Alistair and Ben made us feel so welcome. The hotel is well managed and has a lovely atmosphere. My mum is 80 and has been really unwell so this trip was important. She was made to feel very special. Our room was lovely, clean and comfortable with a flat screen TV, hospitality and a lovely (easy to regulate) shower.

We ate in the restaurant on both nights. The food was wonderful and well served (highly recommend the pork chops). The staff were happy and helpful (even the domestics offered to carry out cases to the car park). Bourton on the Water is a wonderful location in the Cotswolds - I highly recommend a visit and you cannot do better than stay in the Old Manse."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of October 2011

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 25th of July 2011

"We stayed at the Old Manse Hotel for 4 nights in July , the Management , staff , room , location and the breakfasts and dinners were all excellent. The new management made us feel really welcome and we really enjoyed our stay."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2011

This was a mid week break for my boyfrie...

Reviewed Sat 14th of April 2007

"This was a mid week break for my boyfriend’s birthday. As we drove through the village we were greeted with glorious sunshine. The village was clean and looked very welcoming. As we parked up in The Old Manse car park we new this was going to be good break. The staff were well presented and very polite. The check in was easy and before we knew it we were in our room. The room was on the top floor which was up in the eves of the hotel; the room had a stunning view of the river Windrush. The room was of average size but did feel very compact, and so was the bathroom but this seemed a lot small than expected. The room was clean and smelt fresh. The first night we ate in a pub opposite the hotel’s car park. The pub was filled with a healthy atmosphere, and the food was lovely.

I found the walk up and down the stairs very difficult due to a knee problem, on the second day I asked the manager if there was a room on a lower floor and we were upgrade to a suite on the first floor with out any hesitation. This was amazing; the room had a four poster bed and a whirlpool bath. Much better than our first room, as it was about 4 times the size! I was worried that we may have to pay extra for this room but this was not the case. They were very apologetic as they had not been told by the Old English Inn’s reservation team that I could not manage steep stairs.

There are so many tea shops and nice cafes in this village and I strongly recommend you try them. On the second night we went to the Rose Garden for dinner (next to the hotel). This was not very busy and seemed very expensive. The food we ordered was not what we got and had to wait an extra 20 minutes on top of the 30 minute wait for this to be corrected. I was really annoyed because we were the only people in there so could not understand how this could happen. The staff did not seem to care and did not offer us any discount. I would not want to go to this restaurant again and would not recommend it to others.

The village has lots of attractions like a motor museum, Birdland and a model village. These were not expensive to visit and are in walking distance of the hotel. If you wanted to discover what was outside the village there are pleasant walks to go on.

I would recommend this hotel and would love to go back later in the year."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of April 2007

Perfect Location in Little Venice

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Having read a few of the reviews on this website I was a little concerned about what to expect however the Old Manse was perfect for our needs. The bed room (5) was small but clean, had only terrestrial channels on the TV and strangely included the hand basin.

Upon seeing the bathroom I could see why the basin was in the main room as again this was small, tired looking and the shower curtain could have done with being replaced. The shower though was first rate, powerful and good temperature.

The breakfast was classic English with mini boxes of cereal and yoghurts on offer followed by full English or Kippers. Fried breakfast was adequate, nothing special and clearly I was classified as 'high risk of heart disease' as the billed Fried slice was missing.

The pub that the hotel was located in was fine and quiet, frequented by few locals following the recent decison of the pub to ban smoking.

But then you don't go to Bourton on the Water to stay in your hotel and this is where the Old Manse comes into it's own, it's perfectly located on the River, in the central part of the village and for £50 for a double room I'm not sure what else you can expect or want..

If you want a really good hotel and prepared to pay additional money then the Dial House is probably the best place to go but if you want to save upwards of £50 then the Old Manse does a decent job"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of September 2006

cosy hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Decided to stay here after an average night in the old new inn located up the road. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Spontaneoulsy offered a £45 discount for the windrush suite on a bank holiday weekend! Would not have paid any more for this room.

Comfy 4 poster bed, and with an en suite jacuzzi. Floor was a bit creaky and the room was quite dark in general. Good english breakfast and service with a smile."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

Excellent service

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My sister and I visited at the beginning of April and initially were disappointed with our room in the Old Manse Cottage, mainly because of the very small shower/toilet room. After the usual superb Old English breakfast we spoke to the Manager, who immediately apologised, agreed with no discussion that the accommodation was inappropriate for us (it had been booked via central reservations) and offered us a choice of rooms for the second night, one of which was the Windrush Suite (it included a four poster bed).

We were delighted with this speedy resolution to our concerns (our bags were taken direct to the suite) and thoroughly enjoyed our second night with a view over the water. The jacuzzi in the spacious bathroom more than made up for the cramped first night and we have nothing but praise for the friendly service we received.

The location is superb and it was particularly delightful to be able to walk around Bourton on the Water in the early morning and evening when all the crowds had gone."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of April 2006

Simply horrendous!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This is a dreadful hotel, where customer service (as far as the hotel manager is concerned) is non-existent. Were it not for the beauty of Bourton-on-the-Water, our weekend break would have been ruined.

After a 2 hour drive we arrived at the hotel to discover that we could not park in the hotel carpark. We consequently had to park on the outskirts of the village and walk back the hotel. On the basis that the hotel advertises free parking I asked the manager if he would pick up the parking bill we had incurred as a result of being forced to park in a public car park. Considering that this only came to £3 I assumed there would be no problem and I only made this request on principle. The manager flatly refused and showed absolutely no concern for the inconvenience this caused us. We had only been in the Cotswolds for five minutes and I had already had a row with the hotel manager - our weekend away had gotten off to a bad start. Because my car could not remain in the same spot for more than 3 consecutive hours I had to frequently stop whatever I was doing to relocate it - this meant that I had to drive to a restaurant that evening instead of getting a taxi. As a result I could not drink - which seriously impacted a fabulous meal at the Lower Slaughter Manor (which we will stay at when we return to the Cotswolds).

However, our problems with the Old Manse Hotel had only just begun. Our room - costing £100 per night - was awful - we were kept awake by very noisy plumbing all night long and the decor was vile. Also, the bedroom was smaller than the en-suite - which was rather bizarre! We noticed later on that the hotel/pub next-door was offering rooms, superior in quality to those at the Old Manse at half the price - a deal we seriously considered taking up were it not for the fact that the Old Manse already had our credit card details.

On our second day there, whilst standing in the foyer my girlfriend and I got an impromptu shower – thanks to a pipe that had burst in the ceiling. The staff seemed unconcerned by the fact that this leak was dangerously close to a ceiling light - no doubt it fused the electrics shortly afterwards - needless to say we left early and will never return to the Old Manse.

However, Bourton-on-the-water is a lovely place and we will definitely return."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of March 2006

lovely setting

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"setting of the hotel was lovely.
could have done with updating,felt it was more of a pub hotel.room had a 4 poster bed which sheets didnt fit properly.floor boards were really creaky got on my nerves over two days.found it dark mainly because of the canopy over the bed,very hard to read.bathroom had corner bath overhead shower,
Thought they could have added a few luxuries, like biscuits,shower gel,fruit,bath robes.
view out of the windows was very nice over looking the river with the ducks,but being at the front of the hotel you were over the bar and you got the noise from down stairs doors banging,people outside talking.breakfast was average.didnt have a meal in the hotel at night visited other resturants.staff some were pleasant enough,found the waitresses were ignorant,bar staff okay so long as you were spending.i would stay in bourton on the water again but not at this hotel,we had a good deal with our booking otherwise i would have definatley asked for some money back. 4 out of 10."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of January 2006

Good location but do not be deceived!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Two nights spent at the Manse with a group of friends, 10 in total.

Rooms basic but clean. Bathrooms adequate in some but very small in others. Showers are powerful but the cubicles are the smallest possible in some rooms and give the impression that they have been squeezed in.

Quality of food acceptable but nothing too exciting. Attitude of staff in the restaurant varied from excellent and couldn`t do enough to down right surley and miserable. As for the management, great disappointment in this area. Attitudes varied between average to unhelpfulness.

A major disappointment was the Hotel bar. This was more akin to a High Street Pub, patronised more by the general public leaving little or no room for a group of residents to sit and enjoy each others company. There is no night keeper, therefore everything closes down at 11.30pm with no facilities for residents to be served after this time.

Considering the room charge of £105 for B & B, it was felt that value for money was not achieved. I have stayed in many Hotels for less and received far better service. I suspect this hotel has seen better times and feel that the attitute of the management is one of complacency - a great shame."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of September 2005

Pleasant enough

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Booked a very good deal here via the internet so sayed on the Saturday night of a weekend tour of the Cotswolds. We were spoiled in our Friday night choice (Nelsons Arms- Chipping Campden) and so this was a little disappointing. It was pleasant enough, right on the main street with the river running past.
The standard room was very small and dark, even with lights on it was difficult to read. The room was however clean and tidy with the usual toiletries etc. One nice touch was a gift package of fudge from a local shop.

We decided to dine outside the hotel as the menu did not tempt us, so we booked into the Dial's hotel and restaurant for a meal, which is more or less opposite. The service here was first class and although we did not see the bedrooms, the lounge and dining room were small and intimate and very relaxing. The meal was expensive, but if you are looking to indulge yourself it's vey nice to feel so spoilt (canapes are served with drinks in the lounge beforehand). We were the only british dining there, the Americans must have had heard great reviews to have all booked there!

Back at the Old Manse, breakfast was ok, but nothing special, although the staff were very friendly. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed, but as it was a bargain price I cannot really complain."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of June 2005

Hotels near Old Manse Hotel

Top traveller tips for Old Manse Hotel

• summer by summer

"Eat in the restaurant - great service and good value for money "

• Margaret G by Margaret G

"A beautiful area with lovely quirky shops "

Old Manse Hotel is also called