Phhh...bored.

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"There is nothing particularly offensive about this hotel, but it's not exactly the Hilton is it?

I stayed here on my own and got really bored, really quickly. There is nothing to do. The TV is dull, the food is average at best, the room was tiny, the view was insipid, the staff were barely communicative and if you get as bored as I was, it takes two hours to get into London.

If you need to get an early flight and don't want to sleep in the airport, I recommend the Stansted Hilton...but only just."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

Great Hotel For The Price, excellent GYM, and Pool Facilities

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I was nervous when I read the reviews of this hotel, but all I have to say is that they were unfounded. I found the hotel to be exceptional, the staff were professional and eager to correct any problems I had. I stay in hotels 6 months out of the year and for the price the Hilton Stansted is a great deal!

The beds are nice, the gym is excellent. If you are concerned about food prices, we know they are high in all hotels, just make sure you have a rental car and there are tons of restaurants not far away...

As long as you are paying in the 70-85 pound range for this hotel you won't be dissapointed."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of November 2006

Cheap motel standard, not what I expected of Hilton!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We booked at the Hilton Stansted as we got a web deal for a week's parking plus 1 night's stay for £88 (although be warned you need to book well in advance for this kind of rate).

Sadly we were very disappointed by the standard of the hotel, it is nothing more than a sub Travel Inn-standard motel but with extortionate prices!

We arrived late so had to eat there, and the choice is a carvery for £20+ or the bar menu. I'm sorry, but for £12.00 I expect more than a cafe standard hamburger ("Hilton Classic" burger?!) with literally a handful of chips ("Julienne fries" - arf!). All washed down with a £3.90 pint of warm lager. And the only place to sit was a small table next to the front door and reception, with dozens of people milling around with their luggage.

On the positive side the desk staff were friendly and helpful, we got to leave our car in their car park for 8 days and there is a bus (£2) transfer to the terminal starting at 4am. The rooms were of an acceptable standard.

All in all not what I expected of a Hilton hotel, sadly they simply prey on their captive audience by charging the earth for poor quality food and drink."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of October 2006

Do you really need to stay here?

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Stayed at the hotel for one night prior to catching an early morning flight which meant leaving the hotel at 4am. On reflection would have been better to have travelled up overnight, and gone direct to the airport, but the deal included up to 8 nights car parking so thought it would be worth it especially as it took 5 hours for us to travel to Stansted from home.

Arrived and reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. First room we were given had water coming out of the air conditioning unit on the ceiling and we were moved without any problems.

Rooms are basic, bathrooms fine. There is a leisure club here but it is tiny and has a very small swimming pool.

When we arrived at about 5ish we were asked if we wanted to to book dinner, the place was deserted so we said no, thought would probably be ok later. Big mistake, the hotel filled up in the early evening, and we had to eat from the bar menu. The food and drink was, as expected, a lot pricier than eating outside, but mine was inedible and getting my money back took far to long, and finally on the third occasion of asking it was refunded.

The bar was crowded, think there was an England match on, and the staff seemed really overstretched.

In future we will try elsewhere or more probably just drive up through the night. It's not worth spending the money for the short time you actually spend there."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Substandard at Stansted

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"The only notable presence of "Hilton" here is the logo above the door and the ludicrous prices for breakfast (+£20 per person for room service english breakfast inc "tray charge"). The rest is chain hotel at it's most disappointing....few hotels in the area so complacency rules OK.

A purpose-built hotel with armchairs in the lobby corridor, pretending to be a lounge. An expensive "deli counter" next to Reception selling snacks and coffee at more of those Hilton prices.

The rooms were tired and sad. Water rings and burn marks from years of use from kettles and irons abounded on all the wooden surfaces. The rooms are an OK size but the whole thing needs brightening up. Bathrooms too were apologetic in appearance. Basic and although not dirty, too old to be clean.

I have even less tolerance of dog-eared laminated info sheets in the room , some advertising "offers" that were months out of date and equally dog-eared towels in the bathroom.
If Hilton wont pay for new rooms, the management could perhaps care more about what went in them.

I did fill in a Questionnaire and, to be fair, had a prompt response. Apparently 60 rooms will be done by the end of the year...so only another 180 to go then ?

To be fair, the water was hot,the sheets were clean and it is near the airport. If you get a good rate, esp with the convenience of the car parking, you should be fine. But I dont consider it to be Hilton standard - not in comparison to those I've stayed in before . If you fall for the "Hilton" razzle dazzle you are likely to be disappointed."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Not a typical Hilton, rooms need work

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"I normally have no complaints about Hilton hotels, but this one was disappointing. The rooms were old and need of an update, most didn't have internet access in them (the front desk did offer to change me to a room that did however). There is a shuttle between the airport and the hotel which is free from the airport to the hotel, but they charge you 2 pounds per person (only available by buying tickets from a dispenser near the lobby as you can't buy tickets on the bus) from the hotel back to the airport. There isn't really any warning of this and some guests were madly rushing trying to buy tickets.

The staff at the front desk and restaurant were helpful though and made our stay better, but they couldn't have made up for our room that needs to be updated to Hilton standards."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

Good value but needs a facelift!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for one night including 8 days parking.

This was very good value for money and we had no problems parking the car or checking in.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, and although it is a 10 minute drive to the airport you can catch the shuttle bus which only costs £2 pp.

The room was generally clean and maintained, but the bathroom needed some attention. Infact there was mould in the grout of the tiles which didn't look nice. A bit of bleach and scrubbing would solve this, but not really acceptable for a hotel.

The shuttle bus was on-time, and checkout fast with no fuss."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

We stayed at the Hilton Stansted for one...

Reviewed Fri 21st of July 2006

"We stayed at the Hilton Stansted for one night with parking for up to eight days as we had an early morning flight.

We were very disappointed with the standard of this hotel, our rooms were small, and the furniture very worn, to be honest the travel lodges and inns we have stayed in have all been better.

As Hilton Hotels go this is not a good one. It is in need of a full refurbish. Everything is tired, shabby and a bit grubby, carpets, lifts lounge etc etc. The restaurant & bar are a bit expensive, two cups of coffee came to nearly £8.00!

Leisure club changing rooms basic, cold and smelly, the pool area needs updating and redecorating.

We will not be staying there again.

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006

Good Value

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Stayed here fore one night prior to a very early flight the next morning. Arrived around 4:30 p.m. and the check in people were very efficient and helpful. Parked the car within a three minute walk from the hotel. Room was compact, but clean and comfortable and appeared to have all sorts of Internet connections and access, which we didn't need or use. Very good wine selection in the bar, which was most welcome after our M25 experience. Had the dinner buffet at £20 - wasn't the best I'd ever had, but by no means the worst, and the attendant helped me serve myself and then assured me that I could come back for more. All the bar and restaurant staff were most attentive and pleasant. The only bad thing about our stay, which could have been very, very bad, was that we never received our 4:00 a.m. wake up call. Luckily we were awake, worrying about the wake up call. The shuttle bus to the airport leaves promptly every 30 minutes and takes 8 minutes to get to the airport. Reasonable deal at £2 per head, round trip. Returning a week later was easy, with the bus arrriving and leaving promptly, and the car still where we left it. I'd definitely do this again - £89 for a double room and 8 days parking."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of May 2006

great rooms, long way from airport!

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"First of all, I must commend the staff, who were brilliant. I had booked my room through Holidayextras(--) and when I arrived with my voucher, Hilton had no record of my booking. They told me not to worry, they would sort it out and were very pleasant. I went off to park my car, and there was problem no 2 - I had paid a parking-inclusive rate and there were no parking spaces! It was 10.30pm. I was starting to panic. Everyone had parked on the roads and the gardens as there were plainly nothing like enough spaces. I finally found one on the garden, which entailed me and my luggage getting covered in mud when unloading the car. A real pain. Anyway, the room was fine (bed very comfortable) and the food I ordered on room service was very good. Didn't have breakfast. The airport is supposted to be on the airport perimeter, and I suppose literally it is but it's a mighty big perimeter. It took 15 minutes to transfer to the terminal. You have to pay £2 per ticket. They ought to make this crystal clear with a big notice at reception, because the coach was delayed for some time while the driver explained to people that they needed a ticket and they all trooped back to reception to buy one. So: good rooms, good food, nice staff BUT: long way from airport, car park way too small, and no info on display about transfer tickets!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of May 2006

Fine Airport Hotel

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Stayed there for just the one night - landed in the airport at midnight & flew out again at 06.30 the next morning so the hotel was fine (better than sleeping in the airport). Rooms tidy & spotless, bed comfy & surroundings quiet. Reception staff polite & professional. Due to our short stay we didn´t get to try the food. Word of warning - make sure to get the shuttle bus from the airport. It´s a 10 min drive from the terminal even though the hotel is technically listed as being within the airport grounds. Shuttle runs til 12.45 from the airport & starts up again at 4am so no reason to miss your flight!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of April 2006