Good

Disgusting place

Reviewed 3rd October 2018

"We have just come back from a weeks holiday and this is the worst camp site we have ever stayed at! On arrival in reception overheard holiday maker reporting her caravan was broken in to and another boys bike stolen. Our caravan was absolutely filthy! Lots of stains and marks on the walls, beds were supposed to be made up on arrival, my son had pooh marks on his sheets! Our bedroom was damp,cold,smelly but didn't realise that every time we took a shower it would leak from the shower tray and leak on our carpet . It was soaking wet! We reported this to reception on 3 occasions but nothing was done, we only slept in the bedroom for 2 nights as it was damp, I have since come home with a stinking cold and bad chest. Two of the bedroom window locks was broken, no basic utensils or even a tin opener! The camp site is filthy, the toilets are disgusting always over flowing with urine over the floor. I reported the toilets to bar staff as my 7 year old didn't want to use the toilets as there was pooh on the floor! 3 hours after reporting it it was still there! Broken beer bottles on the floor outside club house which I felt I had to pick up myself as there were small children running up the path. We saw lots of teenagers drinking,swearing,some even smoking cannabis running around till early hours the security staff did nothing but spend most of the time playing on there phones! No entertainment apart from a bunny mascot coming out for 20 mins. Then bingo then basically entertain yourself for the rest of the evening! We saw two physical fights between two men which became pretty scary very quickly. Again security staff did nothing! My children age 6 & 7 were so disappointed in there holiday . I have taken photos of everything I have mentioned and will be taking matters further."

• Travel date: 1st August 2018

Went last year with our four grandsons which was good just got back left a day early because people that own ther own caravan seem to do what they want loud music day and night would not go back again

Reviewed 8th August 2018

"We took our four grandsons last year which we all enjoyed just came back a day early we was near owners it all looked nice the minute we put the key in th door the bad language started from next door music loud and two big dogs that was keep out side would not go back again"

• Travel date: 1st August 2018

Martello Beach By The Dawson Family

Reviewed 24th April 2018

"Martello Beach is the best Campsite for our needs. The Caravan is small but good for our needs as me Jane Dawson and our Two Disabled Children. The Campsite is Ideal for us as we don`t like very Busy Campsites which people would push our Disabled Children and me out of my wheelchair so Martello Beach is Ideal for us. Your staff are very Polite,Friendly and very Understanding to our Disabilities and go out of their way to Help us. Especially Trouper Chris. The Swimming Pool is the right size for us. The Only thing that I Disliked was no internet for a week, Overall we have a Wonderful week"

• Travel date: 10th April 2017

Awful doesn't come close

Reviewed 2nd November 2016

"If I could give no stars I would. Just come home from a nightmare brief stay at this park. Arrived yesterday and I wasn't meant to leave until tomorrow. Was really looking forward to it. Especially my three children. We're all devastated that our stay has had to have such an awful end. Our caravan looked lovely. A silver plus one. Nice size for the five of us. Got woken up at 3am to a bed full of bed bugs. I've had so many panic attacks since then I'm now exhausted. We were relocated by a lovely member of the security team to what was clearly not a silver plus but by that time, we didn't care. We've not slept at all. Reception offered no upgrade or compensation for what we have been put through. We are now home nd my children have been in tears. Never again. We are taking our complaint to trading standards nd if we do not receive a full refund nd compensation for our time nd money nd the fact that now all our belongings are having to be treated, then we will be reporting the park to Watch Dog nd health nd safety agency."

• Travel date: 8th October 2016

Not what I'd hoped for

Reviewed 22nd August 2016

"I'm not too sure what to write about this place Park resorts are usually quite good and the facilities are there but this site seems to have been neglected most of the staff are all trying their level best to give you a decent holiday experience but they were fighting a losing battle the pool area was tiny and overcrowded and you were unable to spend an afternoon sunbathing by the pool due to only being able to book 3/4 hour time slot and were soon moved on. The restaurant was very pricey £10 for a frozen pizza and a coke is a joke I know it's a restaurant but I can get freshly made pizza and a drink at my local takeaway for half that price The evening entertainment was truly awful it every night had the same mundane routine and was extremely tedious and boring and with no act to look forward to after the poor attempt at a kids show we decided to give it a miss after a couple of days. You could tell the entertainment staff had become fed up with it as well with one lass having a face on all the time making a minimal effort with the kids and looked like she would rather be anywhere but there. The accommodation was the only real positive, the caravan we stayed in was brand spanking and was excellent I can't fault it at all I can only guess they have taken some of the criticisms I've seen on board The most unfortunate thing was there were more than one person in our area playing extremely loud music all day everyday in our area an I was unable to relax in my caravan or hear the TV when we'd settled down for a night in or decided to have a lazy day, quite a few people had complained and nothing was seen to be done, this really spoiled my holiday. Given the price for a fortnight and how good the caravan was I could cope with the poor entertainment (though I'd wished I'd saved myself some money and not bothered entertainment passes) but with the other residents being allowed to play their music so loud it spoils my holiday "

• Travel date: 14th August 2016

Avoid if you want to go camping

Reviewed 16th June 2016

"I was so disappointed as I came here a few years ago and it was a clean site then but I have just come back and the shower/toilet block was awful. The showers were poor in that you got a trickle of water so took ages hence always a queue to get to a shower. The shower/toilet block was only cleaned once in the morning so as the day went on the floors became dirty with grass, dirt, sand and hair. As the day went on the toilet cubicles would become blocked and the toilet paper was not topped up so by the evening if you wanted to have a shower you would have to have it with a filthy floor and if you wanted to go to the toilet you would have to take tissues with you because most cubicles had run out of toilet paper. Very poor and lots of people on the site were not happy - you know what its like when you get talking in the shower/toilet facilities. So honest don't come here if you will be expecting clean facilities because you wont get it on this site - which is a shame as like I said before, I came here about 4 years ago and it was clean and kept tidy - but that's not the case now. Also you had to book to have your time in the swimming pool which might be the next day which didn't please the kids - mmm I wont be coming here again."

• Travel date: 30th May 2016

avoid!

Reviewed 8th September 2015

"We have just returned from here after staying for just 2 nights of our 7 night stay. You drive through a really run down/shanty town area to get to the site. You are greeted at the gate by security who want to know who you are and why you are there, which is good as they only allow the correct people on site, but made us wonder why they were so strict. Next, we were directed to the touring field and allocated a pitch on the rather crowded electric field. The warden of the touring area was friendly and helpful and told us where to pitch up, which we started until the family with a caravan and segregated garden area quite rudely told us to move as it's where they park their cars. So we asked the warden and he directed us to the pitch next door, so problem solved. Got pitched up and was told by the warden where to park, which was next to the 2 cars of the family that asked us to move, no problem until we went out and they deliberately parked at an angle to block us parking back there. That night we had an early one as we were tired, site was a bit noisy until early morning, not too bad as I'm a heavy sleeper, but it kept my wife awake foe a while. The following day we went to use the toilets and found no soap available and no hot water to wash up crockery/cutlery with, this was fixed by the evening though.. We explored clacton and the site, shop on site is ok if a little pricey, pool looked clean and tidy with lifeguard present (we didn't swim there as we had to book a times lot), there is a park and a ball pitch area which are fenced in, so nice and secure for kids to play, park looked relatively new. In the evening we went to use the showers, the floor in both the toilets and showers was dirty and covered with mud and grass (it was raining outside, so was to be expected, but it was pretty dirty and the cleaning regime should be stepped up in bad weather), the cubicles are of a modest size and the water (read dribble) that came out of the shower was warm. It would be ok if you was the only one using a shower but when 2 are used at the same time, there is no water pressure. My wife had the same experience in the ladies showers and ended up washing her and my daughters hair in a sink as the showers were so useless. About an hour later, the toilets were even dirtier, no loo roll in some of the toilets, one blocked, feces splattered on seat and pan and the smell, it would have smelt nicer in a sewer! By Saturday evening the bins on site were overflowing, there was bits of rubbish all over the touring site as well. We phoned the reception and logged the complaints about the toilets, showers, overflowing rubbish bins and the noise some others were making and we were told that someone would be over to see us in the morning. Sunday morning came and no one from reception came over to us, so we contacted them again and was told to contact park resorts customer service (which is open Mon-Fri). We were told that people make noise and there wasn't anything they could do about it, which is rubbish, as when we stayed at lower Hyde holiday park (park resorts) on the Isle of Wight, they dealt with noise complaints very quickly and seriously. Anyway I digress, the final straw for us was our son followed his sister across the 5mph speed limit road and my wife shouted to him as a car was driving quickly towards him, the driver heard the shout, saw our son and slammed her brakes on just in time. When this was reported to the park we were told that we should keep a better eye on our kids, which obviously we were to have seen this happen, unlike the driver who was driving too quickly and not looking. It's a family site, you expect kids to play and be nearby, so you drive carefully at the site speed limit.. With the absolute lack of anything being done to sort out all the issues we had, we packed up and went home and I only hope others read this and avoid the misery of going to this site.. If you are in a static caravan you may be ok, but tours beware! Fingers crossed we get customer services to issue us at least a partial refund! I wish I could have left a positive review, but I can't, this was just awful, we will never return... We will be staying with park resorts in the future, but definitely not this site!"

• Travel date: 31st August 2015

THE TRUTH !!

Good
Reviewed 23rd February 2015

"Most of the reviews are very unfair on this site and most are out of date, Now i have been to the holiday camp and yes the drive into the camp is a little disheveled but are we giving a review on the camp site or a review on the drive in ?. I have 4 children none of which are unruly but are excited when on an English holiday, they love the place and so do we, the best thing about Martello is its a small family friendly site, it has all the basics, you get what you pay for in my mind, the beach is a stones throw away and the staff are willing to hear you and accommodate if you have a complaint. and you don't have to travel miles if you want to buy food or try a different cafe or restaurant as the camp site next door has different amusements. Don't let the reviews put you off, its changed a lot over the years and i for one enjoy it. I'm not a member of staff or an owner I'm someone who has visited the park on several occasions and whose kids enjoy it."

• Travel date: 23rd February 2015

Camping

Reviewed 25th March 2014

"Camped 5/6 six times here and feel I need to defend the place a little. The area that the park is in (jay wick) is an absolute [email protected]@@ hole and you have to drive through it to get to the park. The entertainment, bar, kids play ground are all ok to be fair. shower and toilets in the camping area are very good and clean with a new washing up room just added. Very reasonable prices for camping and have just booked 2 weekend here for the next few months. Can not comment on the caravans as never stayed in them. Clacton is a short drive away in a car, bus stop out side camp takes you there or it's half hour walk along the beach. At the end of the day it's a cheap weekend away in Essex, what do you think you're going to get?"

• Travel date: 25th March 2014

DANGER DO NOT ENTER

Reviewed 2nd January 2014

"I went here with my pregnant wife and stepson eight at the time. I will start off by saying I don't rate this place one star but have to leave one at least. We arrive here after looking at the sun holidays book. If there was ever a time of false advertising it was here. The place looked really nice clean and many people, the reality went we arrive couldn't be an further from the truth. As you drive to the site it is clear that you might appear on holidays from hell. The surrounding area was ruin and ruin held together by overgrowth. Then you arrive at the site and are amazed it is still running. Finding the caravan was easy enough to find thanks to the map. When we go to the caravan that's where it started to go wrong. The safety of the caravan was left to something resembling a lock but a paperclip could of held our belongings safer. When called to fix it we where told something like three hours. So we decided to have a look around the site. First stop the restaurant, when we arrived was closed. The menu consisted of ten meals with none I liked. So next the bar to get something to eat finding the drinks cost £3.50 per pint. Wouldn't be to bad if the lines where cleaned on a regular basis. As an ex barmen I could tell. The night entertainment was a group of kids reps doing a talent show, the only problem was they forgot the talent. Then they played the same five songs for the two weeks we where there. The adult entertainment was bingo and a quiz for the two weeks. The remaining option we had was to walk three miles to the local Shop and buy food and a packet of cards. Time to sum up the time we spent there is as follows DANGER DO NOT ENTER!!!!!! THIS IS THE WORST HOLIDAY I HAVE EVER BEEN ON. If you have children or pregnant avoid the whole area. "

• Travel date: 2nd January 2014

Never again

Reviewed 10th September 2013

"Terrible camp when we were driving to the site which says it is In Clacton well it isn't it is in Jay wick I thought I was driving through Beirut it is an awful place. The beach was like a dustbin the site is not clean toilets disgusting unruly children running around at all hours in and out of the caravans.. Thought I would take the children in the swimming pool but decided against that as it was full of people from ethnic countries swimming in the pool fully clothed which is very unhygienic for other people as they didn't shower before entering so that spoiled our swim. We had a caravan right opposite the touring & camping site which was frequented by foreign people smoking drugs and playing loud music all night. We did report this and security did attend but they need to drive round a bit more to put an instant stop to it this caravan was a platinum so i thought it would be a bit special wrong again one I would never in my whole life would I ever holiday in Park Resorts again. I feel for the people who own a caravan on this site."

• Travel date: 4th September 2013

camping holiday

Reviewed 13th August 2013

"we and my wife have camped here a few times,the camp staff were so helpfull,we could pitch were we wanted,the toilets were clean and allways had loo roll,showers were clean and tidy,nice one ,BUT we are in our later years so did not use much of the entertainment,the visiting acts were great well most of them,the shop dont bother so over priced,not to much for kids ,great beach,and we found the staff very helpfull and friendly,cafe not to good but we do most of our own cooking its so much cheaper,basicly if you want a quite holiday this is ideal,ray and lisa"

• Travel date: 13th August 2013

Hotels near Martello Beach Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK

Top traveller tips for Martello Beach Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK

• by janedawson340

"Shop outside the Campsite"

• by David P

"Avoid it's just not worth the cost"

• by browneyedgirl11

"booked with Park Resorts"

• by Darren W

"explore the place, visit the park next door, and remember what your paying for."

• by a.phillips25

"close it down there is no hope with this place"

• by Exmoor lady

"Don't expect luxury for the money you pay"

• by gutted

"visit the area great. Dont stay at this place"

• by clare

"refurb the whole site and get more staff and keep all the facillites OPEN!!!!!!"

• by McMillan

"Walton and Frinton Swimming Pool and Walton Pier"

• by sueboos

"Beach location and shops and lovely village"

• by sueboos

"not in a million years"

Martello Beach Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK is also called