Good

Second Visit in a month, still good place to stay

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Hastings and St Leonards arn't bustling with 4 and 5 star hotel and this is about as good as you're going to get.

Pub is currently being refurbished so they seem to have dropped the hotel price a little during the inconvenience as it was a good tenner cheaper per night that last time I stayed.

I was in the annexe in room 6, well away from te refurbishment. Once again, nice clean and quiet. Only downfall was that the pub was not open but it was only for one night so it wasn't a bother.

Will be back in a few weeks and this will be my first choice again."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of November 2009

Better than expected

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Not too far outside Hastings, this hotel had everything we expected and more. The staff were friendly and attentive. The room was well proportioned and had a single bed as well as our double. The single was easily turned into a settee by use of the fitted cushions. Bar and food were good."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of November 2009

Bang! Slam! ....and thats the staff!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We wanted a budget holiday and having good past experiences of Premier Inn hotels we booked a few days here. As others have commented this particular Inn is a little tardy, however, a good nights sleep wasn't the case here. Our room was situated next to a store room or something and in to the early hours and then early morning it was bang! slam! every fifteen or twenty minutes with staff seemgly going in and out of this room! It is ironic on each fire door there are signs asking consideration by guests to not slam doors!
The matter was reported to the receptionist but to no avail."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Stayed here for 3 nights 22nd to 24th April 2009. Wasn’t expecting much from this UK chain and have mixed views on it.

Room 225 was about as far away from the elevator as a room in this hotel can be and as it is only 2 floors of rooms they are spread out and like a lot of the hotels in the UK there seems to be a lot of fire doors in the corridors that you constantly have to open and while I am sure they are there for a good reason, they are just a bit of a nuisance when you are trying to cope with luggage at the same time.

The room itself was large and clean with a big double/queen size bed, plus a sofa bed, desk, chair very small TV 14 inches I guess with only 4 channels available and not the 10 they advertise in the room and when I went to call reception to see if there was some button I needed to press to get the others I discovered no phone and as there is no clock radio either, so no chance of a wake up call or setting an alarm. The room is spacious, has tea and coffee facilities and a hairdryer.

The bathroom was large and clean, but equipped like a gas station toilet with soap dispenser for hand soap and another for combined shower gel/shampoo and no toilet paper rolls, just a dispenser with individual sheets which in a gas station is one thing but in a hotel isn’t acceptable in my opinion.

As for the location it is set in a retail precinct with a couple of car dealerships, superstore and the like and about 2 miles outside of the Hastings seafront so a car is essential and they do have free car parking. I used it as a base for travelling around the area to Dover, Folkestone, Battle and Eastbourne and for that purpose the locations was good for me.

Overall just an average chain hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of June 2009

Fine I suppose.....

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Nothing particularly special about the place. I was disappointed having stayed at a really nice Premier Inn previously and this was inferior. The reception was depressing and small, lit with harsh light and in need of refurbishment. The room was perfectly adequate, overlooking a main road. Everything was clean and in good order. The restaurant was like a busy pub serving mediocre food and the service was good but slow as there was an unexpected rush. My partner had a revolting overly creamy fish pie and I had three dried out veggy sausages and mash. It wasn't the kind of place to linger and enjoy. The location is good if you are driving on the outskirts of town on the way to the motorway. Otherwise nothing there."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of January 2009

A bit creaky ( the service and the building)

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Great location for us, so an obvious choice. We've stayed in a few Premier Inns and they're generally OK.

Pleasant, efficient Receptionist at check-in, but unfortunately the lift was out of action. We ordered newspapers for the following morning, but these arrived too late to read before we set off after breakfast.

Our room was fine. Comfortable double bed and an additional single bed for our son, with plenty of room. The room was double-glazed (unlike some other Premier Inns), so there was very little noise from outside. It was clean, as was the bathroom; the only problem, was that in common with the rest of the hotel, the TV system wasn't working properly. Our room was on the back of the hotel, so we weren't affected by the main road at the front, although it is quite close to McDonald's and therefore does suffer a bit from boy racers with load exhausts in the car park.

The Brewers Fayre restaurant and bar is part of the building and I think that if you were on the same floor (or overhead), you might find the noise rather intrusive.

The main problem we had was noise from within the hotel. It was a Friday night and there seemed to be quite a lot of people charging through the corridors late at night. Also, the floors are quite creaky and make a noise as you walk on them. I was woken up at around 05:45 by people walking around and unfortunately didn't get back to sleep as the noise continued (very grumpy).

Breakfast wasn't great. Although there were several staff around and we were greeted promptly and showed to a table, it took ages for the cooked breakfast to arrive. It was good when it did arrive and obviously freshly cooked, but it took a long time. The buffet element of the breakfast was OK, but nobody seemed to be refilling the hot water and milk jugs when they were empty. There also seemed to be a shortage of crockery, tomato ketchup and jam!

Overall an average stay. Premier Inn prices are now quite a bit higher than they used to be and I think that they need to look at a few aspects of their service to ensure that they reflect the increased prices."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of November 2008

Hotel friendly & clean - restaurant a dinnertime nightmare

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We spontaneously decided to go to the Hastings battle re-enactment and make it a family weekend. Since we had a fantastic experience with a Premier Inn in Wales, we were more than happy to try out another Premier Inn. The reviews regarding the service here were not too thrilling but that didn't put us off. On Arrival the woman at the check-in was very friendly and helpful in every way. Our family room was spacious and gave the kids enough room to play - we have a 3 and a 1 year old so this is very important for us! The room and the bathroom were very clean, however the bathroom could use some slight - cosmetic - repair work.
After freshening up we were eager to go to the restaurant. The restaurant attached to this Premier Inn is a "Brewers Fayre". You don't even have to cross the road to get there as there is a direct stairway leading to it. The restaurant looks very friendly and modern as you walk in, however, it has its slightly run-down corners. The very big plus is that it has its own indoor play area which is priceless - as all parents of small children know! Unfortunately the good experience ended here (at least for this meal). Upon arrival we were told that waiting time from ordering to serving is 30min and that 2 main dishes were unavailable. Since we didn't know where else to go and the kids had the eyes on the play area, we decided to relax and go with it. The table we were led to was not 100% clean and when I asked the waitress for a Highchair, she just pointed over her shoulder and mumbled :"You can get one over there." Maybe its just me but usually the waiter/waitress gets us one when we ask. There were around 4-5 waiters just "hanging around". When we tried to order at the bar, we were told that now 5 main dishes where unavailable and the waiting time would be 45 min. At this point we took the kids and left the restaurant - we were not the only ones. Next to us a frustrated mother said she's been waiting for 45 min and they were just told that the kids meals were not ready yet. Without children this service is hard to tolerate but with hungry, small children I declare this as impossible! So we ended up going to McDonalds (*sigh*) across the street.
Back in our room, the kids enjoyed playing and we all had a comfortable nights sleep. Although there is a main road nearby, we didn't hear any noise from the outside - or inside the Hotel.
We had booked the full breakfast and my husband and I were a bit afraid what we would find in the restaurant this morning. But it seemed almost like a miracle - we had a clean, spacious table, the very friendly waiter brought a highchair without even asking - and the breakfast was very good and plenty. Children full & happy - parents happy!
Overall I have to say that this Premier Inn was a good choice for us - a clean, spacious room with friendly service. But the "Brewers Fayre" restaurant was an absolute nightmare at dinner time.
I would recommend the Hotel itself but definitely suggest to have a back-up plan for dinner - just in case..."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2008

Below Par

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Must have caught them on a bad day. I rate the Premier chain favourably, but this one was disappointing.

The reception area was grubby and looked as if it hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner for a while. The receptionist didn't tell me where my room was. I had to go back to enquire and, even then, she misdirected me and I ended up asking one of the cleaners for assistance.

The room was to the usual standard to be found in this chain and I have no complaints about it.

I was unable to take breakfast in the ajoining restuarant as no staff appeared, although I waited.

This chain has increased its prices quite considerably and I felt that on this occasion I was not getting value for money."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of August 2008

Let us take restaurant food to room - sleeping child

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Stayed here for 1 night and compared to a similar establishment near Brighton (different chain), was far superior, with a better attitude at reception.

Benefits from being linked to Brewers Fayre Family Pub and Restaurant with soft indoor play and outdoor play areas.

Extremely good value for money - family rooms being so hard to come by in classier hotels.

Facilities in room more Novotel than Campanile, clean and comfortable.

We appreciated being able to bring our dinner up to our rooms as both children were asleep (late arrival) and we did not want to eat in shifts. Sort of 'do it yourself' room service.

The coffee with the inclusive breakfast was of poor quality but if you paid extra , a decent Costa Cappuccino was available. Breakfast otherwise okay."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005