The Flackley Ash Country House Hotel

Exterior

Good

Reallly enjoyed my stay

Reviewed 22nd January 2015

"Booked in for two nights (buy one get one free) for my 70th birthday. There were 4 adults, and six children. The staff were always so helpful and accommodating. My grandchildren loved the pool and gym facilities. Breakfast was amazing!!!!!!! As I live locally, might just drive there for feeding. There were 15 for Sunday lunch and that was really enjoyable. Yes, rooms a little tired but clean. Did not distract from the overall ambiance of this hotel. Hoping to go there again in the near future."

• Travel date: 22nd January 2015

Very poor

Reviewed 30th August 2010

"We stayed two nights at this excuse for a hotel. We were in room 11 it's over the kitchen so we were woken by the extractor fan at 6am. Later as cookin(. Started the food smells came into the room. Food was very poor on the Friday. Lamb not cooked to what was ordered and two very small pieces mainly fat for £15.......appalling! Don't go there! Didn't use spa so no comment on that aspect."

• Travel date: 29th August 2010

pretty perfect

Good
Reviewed 31st March 2009

"We booked this hotel for my husbands 40th, we wanted a relaxing couple of days with spa treatments. We booked one of the Garden Rooms ( no. 69 ), it was large and very comfortable with nice view. The hotel staff were so friendly and approachable, they all looked like they really enjoyed their jobs! The breakfast was superb, have what you want, how you want it! Cooked to perfection! We both had full body massages - heaven! and later on enjoyed the jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and pool. We Would Come Back Again!"

• Travel date: 31st March 2009

This hotel was recommended as "child fri...

Reviewed 21st August 2008

"This hotel was recommended as "child friendly" by all4kidsuk.com; it is not. Difficult to know where to start with negatives here. The food was artlessly prepared using very low quality ingredients. The "soup of the day" tasted like soup from a tin with added ketchup. Our waiter insisted it was home made adding "it's the first one to go back today"... Another starter of scallops was over-cooked, cold and inedible. The main courses were uniformly bad. The service, when anyone could be tracked down, was lazy and slow. The hotel itself is dirty. The accumulated grime on the carpet in the restaurant area perhaps partly responsible for the smell of damp and decay pervading the entire establishment. As for the "child friendliness" this didn't extend beyond the provision of two broken monitors. I am sorry to say there are few saving graces and I would strongly advise against risking a stay at the Flackley Ash Hotel."

• Travel date: 21st August 2008

Valentines

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"My husband and I arrived at Flackley Ash for a Valentine's weekend. The hotel is in a most beautiful country setting and the main building is a Georgian mansion. From the beginning we found the staff very friendly and helpful and we were not at all pressurised. Our room was fantastic ,with lovely matching furniture,all in antique pine.Even the large T.V. was hidden away in an attractive cabinet. The furnishings all appeared brand new and very tastefully chosen. The bed was a good sized double with crisp,pure cotton sheets and a luxury duvet. We had French doors opening out onto our own private terrace which overlooked the lovely gardens and extensive grounds all very well kept. Our whole room was very fresh and clean as was the spacious en-suite bathroom (yes a fullsize bath) which even had an opening window. We ate in the outstanding Conservatory dining room which no-one else seems to have mentioned. A large.airy, well maintained and decorated room which can't help but overlook the delightful grounds. The dinner was delicious-more like a top restaurant than a hotel. The waiting staff were very attentive and there were plenty of them even though it was a very busy weekend. It was just as good at breakfast with some tasty options to choose from(always difficult to skip anything for me!!) The swimming and spa pools are not to be missed and we just wished we'd brought our children along as we saw lots of family groups having a great time!!! We've promised our three girls we'll take them next time, hopefully in the summer when they'll be able to enjoy the outside as well as the inside!!"

• Travel date: 26th February 2007

Friendly welcome

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We booked a two day break, and from the moment we arrived at the Hotel we were very impressed. The staff were friendly and helpful, even to posting our christmas cards!. Our room was lovely, clean and well furnished. The sports facilities were clean, warm and well presented. We will definitely return in the New Year and recommend this Hotel highly. Richard + Frances Humphrey Somme, France."

• Travel date: 20th December 2006

Unimpressed

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We were constantly badgered for a dinner booking - every time we passed through reception, even phoning us morning and evening for our dinner booking. The hotel bar was very uninviting, soul less place. There's more atmposhere in an empty stadium. It was just a big expanse of nothing with dreadful decor and tacky wicker furniture. Breakfast is good quality food and cooked well. Unfortunately my English breakfast had a hair across it and without quibble they replaced it for me - I requested the poached haddock instead as I had been quite put off and they obliged gladly. All the staff are young and you get the feeling that they need someone with a bit of maturity to provide some leadership, direction and work ethic. The hotel is in Peasmarsh which is out of town and no other facilities to hand. There is a shortage of taxis and they are very expensive. A websearch brought up this hotel which claimed it had been refurbished. Only the old building, the rooms on the extension are a bit tired, the bathrooms dreadful. Our room was small and dingy - we paid their top rate. The bathroom had cobwebs and crane flies to greet us. We did not get value for money for our room, the over inflated prices are obviously subsidising the refurbishment."

• Travel date: 27th November 2006

Smashing hotel

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"Having stayed here two years ago on a wonderful four day Christmas break we knew it was good but this time it seemed even better. Location, hotel, staff, food, room and spa, all excellent, nothing more to say, -we will be back!"

• Travel date: 22nd September 2006

Friendly But Faded

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"The hotel is set in attractive grounds and the building from the outside is quite pleasing to the eye. The reception staff are friendly, as are most of the other staff. Check in was effecient. I booked a 'Superior' room but I really have no idea what qualified it for that status. Maybe it was the DVD player. The room could certainly do with considerable upgrading. The window frames were starting to rot away. The fixtures and fittings were rather cheap and tatty and the light in the bathroom was dim and gave it a cold and soulless feel. The shower was good however (something that can't always be taken for granted in the UK). I stress however that the room was clean. There is a Gym and Pool, which I didn't try but they looked okay. The hotel has a 'corporate' feel about it and probably gets a fair amount of business/seminar trade although I don't know what the conference facilities are like. The bar area is rather dated and the bar itself is very small with two pumps that serve 'low grade' beer and lager (in my opinion). At times the reception staff have to double up behind the bar, which can lead to delays in getting served. I can't see that the hotel does much 'local' trade, which is a shame, as the actual bar area is quite large. The food in the resturant is pretty good, including a good breakfast. However, at breakfast the customer greeting when I stayed was poor. When I walked in I hesitated and, although there were three waitresses who saw me standing and looking around. no one approached me. In the end I just headed for an empty table. I waited about five minutes before anyone approached me but, after taking my order, the service was good. At over £100 per person for bed and breakfast this hotel is not cheap but it does not offer value for money. It needs investment to bring it up to, or close to, country house hotel standards, but I suspect that this could be beyond current resources. If it is not refurbished soon it will suffer as guests look elsewhere for better standards of comfort, which would be a shame. One final point, virtually no mobile phone signal was available!!"

• Travel date: 25th June 2006

Lovely, interesting hotel

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel when visiting Rye for the weekend from london. Initially we a bit disappointed with the location being 15 mins drive from rye. But the hotel really made up for that. The staff were fantastic and really helpful. Our room was upgraded and nothing was too much trouble. We has an amazing breakfast sitting outside in the garden. The breakfast was lovely and MASSIVE!! We went for a swim in the lovely pool and played a few holes on the putting green. It was a lot of fun. They even have a tree house. The hotel was amazingly relaxing and we were sad to leave, If you like indian food go to the indian on the high st in the old town. Amazing food and one of the waiters gave us a lift home for a small sum. That just doesn't happen in London! Great stay. Would def go back."

• Travel date: 13th June 2006

What a perfect weekend away

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed here recently for a weekends escape. We had one of the rooms in the old house with a four poster bed that I think had been recently refurbished. The staff were excellent and pandered to our every need and the breakfast was cooked to order from the kitchen and just yummy. Sunday lunch was also fantastic, I would stay here again! As a rule I'm not a huge fan of Best Western, but this hotel excels above the norm."

• Travel date: 16th May 2006

Not Great

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"I'm not too sure how to rate this acurately. We are just back from a two night stay at 'The Flackley Ash Hotel' and I have to say I was expecting a little bit more. Firstly from the main web site page there is no mention of it being part of the chain 'Best Western Hotels'. If there had I wouldn't have booked it so I felt misleaded from the moment we got there. I was expecting a country house hotel with a bit of luxury. There was no luxury in this hotel at all and since I am six months pregnant this was a disappointment. The staff were pleasant enough, however the hotel was in desperate need of a revamp. The main bar area, which incorporated part of the dining area was bland, uninviting and dated. We booked a double room, and while the room was warm and clean the bed was 2 large singles attached together. Not a 'double bed' as expected. The bedclothes where of poor quality and missmatched. We didn't book to have an evening meal as was our original intention as the dining room was very unappealing in it's decor and furniture. We did have breakfast on both mornings however and they were standard. I suppose if you were to ask me would I stay here again the answer would be no, it does not match what it claims to be, and is over priced for what it is and where it is."

• Travel date: 13th March 2006

Hotels near The Flackley Ash Country House Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Flackley Ash Country House Hotel

• by Brenda T

"If you are a smoker, there are three smoking bedrooms available."

• by Nick

"Staff ok management awful, very poor for price"

• by karen76

"S! Italian in Rye town, the best!"

• by karen76

"Quaint,enough to keep you busy, pretty"

The Flackley Ash Country House Hotel is also called