About Saltcote Place Rye

• windsurfing amenities

Good

SUPERB ACCOMMODATION

Reviewed Thu 19th of April 2018

"We found Saltcote Place the most maginificent place to stay. The welcome you get when you arrive is second to none, and this carries on throughout your stay. The accommodation itself is first class, as is the service and, in particular, the luxurious breakfasts. The breakfast table is one which is set to the most superb detail. And attention to detail is of prime importance to Paul and Alan. We have never before, or since, enjoyed such superb food served by two very welcoming hosts - but they made you feel more like family than a guest! Having driven down an avenue of lovely trees, your welcome is assured the moment you have parked your car. A feeling of relaxation has started. Saltcote Place has a terrific history and Paul and Alan will be more than happy to tell you all about it. You must explore the rooms within the house not forgetting the gardens. Enjoy a tipple or two whilst enjoying the views and, in particular, the silence of the area. It is so quiet - so if a relaxing time is what you are after you can certainly achieve that here. Our stay was one of the best we have experienced and we will certainly be going back there again. "

• Travel date: Thu 26th of January 2017

Magical

Reviewed Mon 4th of February 2013

"We hadn't actually planned on staying at Saltcote, but now we have, I can't imagine staying anywhere as perfect. As you drive up the tree lined drive and through the gates, you realise that you really are in for a treat. Our welcome was just what we needed on a cold rainy day, with a cup of tea and biscuits in an amzingly beautiful kitchen. After we had warmed up and dried off, we were lucky enough to be given a tour around this beautiful house by Paul, the history of such a stunning buliding was wonderful, as was the decor. Our room (that really doesnt sound grand enough), was beautifully decorated, with a bathroom which had a roll top bath and a conopy !!!!

After a comfy night sleep, we woke up to the smells of freshly cooked pastries, with a breakfast of fresh fruit follwed by smoked salmon and fresh eggs, laid the owners very own chickens.

After breakfast, I was given a tour of the garden (again really doesnt sound grand enough). The views were breathtaking, and the knowledge from Alan on the house, the surroundings, the garden and his collection of very beautiful birds (including peacocks and phesants) was amazing.

I can honestly say I have never been made so welcome, felt more relaxed and been so well looked after in any place that I have stayed in. The house as well as the owners passion for it really does have to be seen to be belived. I cant thank Alan and Paul (and Java) enough for making our stay so perfect. Highly highly reccomended."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of November 2008

Perfect getaway....

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2013

"It was a Sunday evening, we were lost on the Kent/East Sussex borders on the way back from a romantic break in Brighton at the Grand Hotel. With no plan in mind other than not wanting the weekend to end and dreading the long drive home, we discovered Saltcote Place by chance (like an oasis in the desert).

We felt welcomed from the moment we arrived and nothing seemed to be too much trouble even accommodating our pet Henry, who was privileged enough to be the Hotel's first canine guest!.

Breakfast was exceptional and we could have stayed on until dinner!

In short, we both or should we say the three of us, can not recommend this hotel more highly. We feel (in hindsight), that our weekend only began when we entered the doors of Saltcote Place and Brighton merely a distraction before our true experience began.

A very big thank you to Alan and Paul for their hospitality and we have no hesitation in highly recommending their Hotel to future guests.

Mark & Rebecca (& Henry) X"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of November 2008

A truly unique experience

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"I would highly recommend Saltcote Place to anyone wanting to get away from it all and in need of a little R&R. The customer service was excellent; in fact we didn't feel like customers, more like we were staying with friends (friends who were committed to making our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible without ever encroaching on our privacy. A good balance!). The guys were fun, friendly, accommodating and happy to show us all the fantastic features of the wonderful building they own. The location also offered exactly what I wanted with amazing views from all aspects of the house and garden. The whole package made for a truly luxurious and unique break and, given the chance, I'll be back there in a heartbeat."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of October 2008

Fantastic!

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2013

"We had the best time ever, Alan and Paul are the perfect hosts and make you feel so welcome, they make you feel that you are at home and the house and grounds are so beautiful, there was nothing we could fault. When we eventually left we just wanted to turn around and go back.

Saltcote Place is a beautiful place to stay, just outside Rye with its cobbled stoned streets and its abunadance of lovely little shops and cream teas on offer. There is plenty to do and see and although we only stayed a few days we did so much with Camber Sands just a stone throws away and Canterybury just a 45 minute drive and so much more to do that we just did not have the time to fit in.

I would thoroughly recommend Saltcote Place to anyone it is an experience that you don't normally come across and an immensely lovely experience at that.

For anyone that wants to re-charge or just get away from it all and have a little bit of luxury this is the place to visit."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of October 2008

Sumptuous and grand ( but also very friendly! )

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I Would never normally take the time to write a review of somewhere I stayed but my girlfriend and I enjoyed our stay so much that I feel I should let others know.
We were made to feel very welcome our whole stay, on arrival having our bags taken to our room, being offered a drink and having a restaurant booked for that night. The breakfasts were excellent and served with a real flair.
The room was spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished. The house is about ten minutes easy walk to Rye and is in its own grounds with great views.
It was difficult to see from the modest advertising exactly how the extra expense of staying at Saltcote Place could be justified but having stayed there we now know that its money well spent and would love to visit again. Words such as "sumptuous" and "grand" come to mind."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of October 2008

A wonderful place with wonderful hosts

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"Friends recently stayed at this hotel and asked me to write a review to express what a wonderful place this is to stay. Alan and Paul, the owners, were outstanding in their customer service and are an absolute credit to the place. A perfect and tranquil place to stay with wonderful views surrounding it.

The rooms are out of this world and you have everything you could possibly require - even if you don't I, sure that Alan and Paul could get it for you in order to make your stay even more special.

It was my friends anniversary whilst staying at the hotel and they even sorted a card and flowers for them in celebration.

Highly recommended to anyone wanting a relaxing, pampered stay in beautiful surroundings"

• Travel date: Thu 9th of October 2008

A truly extraordinary place -- it doesn't get better!!!

Reviewed Wed 6th of February 2013

"The short answer ---

Saltcote Place is, quite simply, an extraordinary place to stay. If you’re going to Rye and appreciate fine things, in the company of fantastic hosts, we can’t recommend this place enough.

The longer answer ---

As our anniversary was coming up, we were thinking of pretty places to visit for an extended weekend away from London. We’d heard about Rye from friends of ours who have been going there every year for some years – recommendation enough. The destination sorted, we needed to think about accommodation. Somewhere special, naturally, but somewhere with character. When we travel for fun, sometimes we spend a lot, sometimes a little, but what’s always important is that the place is (i) quiet, (ii) nicely located for our purposes and (iii) characterful. Otherwise what's the point of going away?!?

Coming up the drive, it was difficult not to be struck quite speechless by the enormous Queen Anne-style house. We were greeted with very warm and genuine smiles by owners Paul and Alan (and their wonderful, affectionate dog Java), and after a bit of fun chat and being offered a drink, Alan showed us to our room.

We were staying in one of the gorgeous bed & breakfast rooms, looking out on one side across the garden down to the town of Rye and then the sea on the horizon. The yellow lilies that greeted us in the room were absolutely lovely – we’d noticed the lovingly tended flowers all over the garden on our way to the room. The rest of the decoration was just right – luxuriously patterned fabrics, a feeling of yester-yesteryear that matched the building, but also great modern luxuries like a plasma screen.

Extremely down-to-earth and friendly, Alan and Paul were keen to ensure that we had everything we needed during our stay. Over the weekend, we had lengthy chats with them, hearing their fascinating stories about the renovations and generally musing about life. But, as happy as they were to banter they were equally discreet and very keen to give us our space. They gave us great advice about places to see and restaurants to check out and, after our really delicious breakfasts served in their stunning kitchen, we were on our way.

When it comes to location, Saltcote Place is ideally situated. As the highest-placed property in Rye and set in gated grounds, it feels like you’re out in a secluded country manor. You’re away from the bustle of the very pretty Tudor town, while being only a five-minute walk away. Perfect.

Alan gave us a tour of the other rooms that are open for guests to stay in – these include a couple of jaw-dropping suites (one they’ve called the Hennessy Suite after the Hennessy brandy family who used to own the house). Each of the rooms has its own eclectic touches in the décor and fittings. They host weddings at Saltcote Place and clearly this would be an awesome venue -- it's as romantic and grand as it is hip and down-to-earth.

Alan and Paul clearly love life and get a lot of satisfaction having people to stay and share the environment they’ve created. Saltcote Place is the perfect destination, then, for those who appreciate fine things and the care that goes into developing, designing and maintaining them. Forget the cold, impersonal ship-’em-in-and-ship-’em-out hotels in town and head straight for the warmth of Saltcote Place. It couldn’t have been a better anniversary and we'll be heading back there at the first opportunity.

[PS If you’re looking for a restaurant in Rye, don’t miss out on the Flushing Inn. We eat out a lot in London and were fortunate enough (Alan’s recommendation) to have experienced this --- went straight on our list of favourite restaurants in the UK. Serving local ingredients, perfectly cooked, the Flynns/Manns show diners a true slice of England – the father-in-law bought the restaurant in 1952 with his wife and is now still front of house with his son-in-law, and his daughter oversees the very tasty creations in the kitchen. And all in a beautiful Tudor interior, which includes a very striking 16th century fresco right across the main dining-room wall!]"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

a wonderful place to relax and feel at home

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2013

"I stayed at Saltcote Place for a few days during a tiring business trip and was looked after so well I wished I could stay for a lot longer. I was welcomed so warmly it felt like coming home and the little touches of kindness shown by the owners were heartwarming after such a long time staying in hotels.

Saltcote Place is in a wonderful peaceful location with fantastic views and all the ingredients needed for a very special relaxing break. Breakfasts were delicious, freshly prepared and served beautifully. On my last day there I had the treat of the best scrambled egg with salmon that I have ever tasted!

By the time I left I felt relaxed, indulged and as if I had been on a birthday break. Saltcote Place's owners have created a magical place to unwind and let your cares float away."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of September 2008

More of a palace than a B&B

Reviewed Sat 2nd of February 2013

"I had all year to book a weekend stay in Rye for my wife's birthday and left it to the day before, only to be told by every single hotelier in town that there was no room at the Inn. It wasn't looking good.

Pointed to the newly renovated Saltcote Place by a local publican I explained my predicament and instead of being turned away I was asked if my wife would like to be greeted with a bottle of Champagne with strawberries and cream!

We stayed for two nights in this beautiful house and had a hoot.

The owners could not be more friendly or fun. The breakfasts were superb, the rooms delightful (imagine English country house goes Versailles) and the attention to detail - rose petals on the bed and Champagne on ice in our room when we got back late from a restaurant - second to none and very touching."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of September 2008

Luxurious, magnificent Saltcote Place

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Myself and my husband were recommended Saltcote Place as being 'the nicest place to stay in the Rye area' back in July – we certainly weren't disappointed!! Upon arrival we actually thought we had the wrong address as we were confronted with a spectacular gated house, not your usual B&B! We rang the charming owners, who confirmed we did indeed have the right address and came outside to warmly greet us. They showed us to our immaculate and tasteful bedroom and once we were settled they took the time to take us on a tour around the newly renovated property.. the Hennessy suite (the property is the former home of the cognac-making family!) has to be seen to be believed - it is stunning!! They also showed us around the incredible grounds - with the best views of the East Sussex coast you'll ever find. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and exceptionally generous - the attention to detail with the presentation, quality of the cutlery and crockery were also superb, and the kitchen we ate in was positively palatial! What makes this place special is not only the beautiful building, and gorgeous interior but the treatment you receive from the lovely owners."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

Hotels near Saltcote Place Rye

Top traveller tips for Saltcote Place Rye

• mongobug by mongobug

"Book a stay at the earliest opportunity. "

• mongobug by mongobug

"Book a stay at the earliest opportunity. "