About Royal Victoria Hotel

• self serve laundry
  • baggage storage
  • telephone
  • pets allowed
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • desk
  • complimentary instant cofffee

Good

Such potential

Reviewed 20th October 2015

"A beautiful hotel in a lovely location. Although I do have a few issues with the cleanliness. The curtain pole above the bed had a approx 1cm level of fluff and dust on it. The lamp shades were dusty and the mattress cover could have done with a wash. The bed was fairly comfortable but the pillows inadequate. Lovely big room but no where to sit and relax apart from the bed, the room could have easily accommodated a small sofa or a couple of chairs. The shower was rubbish and quite hard to use as it was placed in the bath and under the stairs. The breakfast was good enough but the table cloth had some food stains on and the coffee cup had a lipstick stain. The staff nice enough but not very professional. Would not visit again."

• Travel date: 17th October 2015

Did not disappoint....

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"As a former Hastings resident, I'd only eaten at this hotel before. This time booked for 2 nights by e-mail from Holland and was allocated a family room for 2 adults and 2 children and quoted DBB £100 per night per room which seemed such a bargain...I was expecting sth quite rundown. Room 311 was delightful and comfortable if a bit chintzy with very impressive bedside lamps. Extremely spacious main room with tv and chairs to sit on with large ensuite bathroom and up 3 steps another smaller bedroom in an alcove with another double bed (no tv in 2nd area). Hotel rather quiet as was between Christmas and New Year but all staff friendly and the food was very good, especially the table d'hote dinner (normally £19.99 for 3 courses plus coffee). Only downside was strange 'afternoon tea' which comprised only tea and biscuits. I had visitors coming to see me and I was thinking more along the lines of scones, cream and jam but fortunately they were happy to supply a knife to enable me to cut up my M&S replacement purchases. Room windows on the outside would have benefitted from a clean but we did have a good seaview. Will definitely stay here again next time I'm back visiting."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Nice Staff but terrible beds

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"The staff at the Royal Victoria Hotel are some of the nicest I have met working in an English Hotel and the food is pretty good too. However, accommodating and friendly as they are, I can't help feeling that they have been let down by the hotel owner. The bathrooms are in desperate need of a revamp, the showers have a weak water flow. There are patches of damp in the corridor on the second floor outside room 212. There are also other signs of neglect in the form of cracked walls about the hotel. The reason why I have to give this hotel the lowest rating however is the beds. If you want a good night sleep, do not come here. The old springs in the mattresses bump out of the beds and dig into you whichever way you turn. I could not sleep for the first two nights of my stay. I had to view 7 other rooms before I found one in which the beds were good enough to at least allow me one nights sleep. In all of the rooms I viewed the beds were either bumpy or sagging in the middle. I am not sure if I only fell asleep out of exhaustion on the third night. I woke up with a stiff back and feeling groggy, (I am not even a drinker). The hotel suffers from another problem in that the windows are poorly sealed and many of the rooms have terrible drafts. This is true of most of the sea view rooms. Stay on the back end of the hotel however and you may find the rooms a little stuffy."

• Travel date: 31st December 2006

Tired - Needs a Facelift

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Nice old seaside hotel. Needs doing up though. Bar used for functions, ie birthdays etc. Rooms are very tired and so are the bathrooms - actually, they were terrible. Aside from this, we did not stay in too long to feel depressed in it. It's on the far end of the promenade so a taxi or a long walk is needed to the other end. However, staff were OK - probably would choose another hotel if I had to go to Hastings again. Not a place for food - choose a restaurant (ie the Spanish restaurant) in town."

• Travel date: 30th November 2006

Just O.K.

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We stayed at the Royal Victora Hotel for a friends wedding and I have to say it was really overpriced for what it was.The rooms were a bit on the shabby old-fashioned side. On the plus side we did have an excellent sea view, although the small windows didnt really highlight that. Staff were pleasant, however, I dont think I will be staying there again."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006

A Mixed Stay

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel on a 2 night weekend break. The hotel is situated on the sea front in the St Leonards area of Hastings. Hastings town centre is a pleasant 25 minute walk along the coastal promenade. The hotel was built in 1828 and retains much of it's original victorian features and charm and includes a grade2 listed ornate marble staircase, the hoel also has a restaurant and bar with great sea views. Our room was 312 a family suite it had two rooms with double beds and fantastic sea views.The only let down was the furniture and room amenities that looked worn and in need of some refurbishment. The tv was about 30 years old, but worked ok. There were a couple of problems with our bed, the divan valence sheet was filthy and our top blanket was stained Yuck!! On further investigation (my 4 year old son) found that the divan base was ripped open and he could climb inside!!! We complained the next day and the manager moved us to room 509 a very similar room but to our amazement the divan valence sheet was in a similar state to room 312. The Manger again offered his apologies reduced my room rate and gave us some free drinks on the house as compensation.Thanks! The staff were all helpful and friendly. the food good, apart from breakfast the sausages and fruit juice were dire and there was little choice. All in all is was okayish."

• Travel date: 27th June 2006

Friendly Staff

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"The Hotel is not in Hastings but is at the other end at St Leonards. So you need a taxia to get to Hastings old town. We could not find a higher rated hotel in the area. The hotel needs modernisation but not a bad price and the room was large - well actually 2 rooms - a bedroom and a living room. Carpet, furniture and bathroom not very good but overlooked the sea so not bad for the one night there. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful though so this made up for it."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2006

Reasonable value for England's south coast

Good
Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I stayed here with my brother in May 2005. The room with a view of the sea I had booked was very large and comfortable, though there was a bit of noise from the street and the waves on the stony shore across the road. Parking was on street and depending on the time, sometimes I had to park a block or so away. The hotel is in the grand old style, though I felt that some of the hallways could do with a brush up. The bed was comfortable, the rooms well kept and clean. My brother's room was on the opposite side of the building and not nearly as big, but he paid substantially less. Breakfast was included in the price of both our rooms and very good. The breakfast room looks over the shoreline as well and was a nice location for dining. I would stay here again as the price was quite good for the south coast of England."

• Travel date: 22nd January 2006

Excellent hotel

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"I stayed at the Royal Victoria Easter weekend 2004 with my daughter and disabled parents. This is a very nice 19th century building, solid and handsome with an impressive grand staircase and public rooms. Our bedrooms were very large, light and comfortable, and pleasingly individual - in my room you had to get to the wardrobes by going down a spiral staircase to a lower floor! Very clean and nicely furnished, bed comfortable with a half-tester, which my daughter liked. The staff were particularly kind and helpful, and allowed me to hide clues for an easter egg hunt all over the hotel. We ate in the restaurant the first night, a very pleasant meal, again with friendly and attentive staff; breakfasts were good, and afternoon tea and sandwiches likewise. We had booked on a special deal, two nights for the price of one, which was in any case half price with Nectar points. Some hotels make you feel very much like second class citizens when you do this, but not the Royal Victoria - good policy on their part because I would certainly stay there again."

• Travel date: 18th March 2005

loved it !!! one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in.

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"From the first moment we arrived it was perfect. The friendly receptionist was warm and kind. She checked us in promptly and we were shown to our room by the duty manager. The room was wonderful. Clean bright and a homely feel to it. Very spacious, as was the gleaming white bathroom. All the hotel staff were friendly ant courtious, obviously very well trained. Both dinner and breakfast the following morning were excellent. the view from the restaurant overlooks the sea. A wonderful setting. We cannot praise this hotel enough. A big thank you to all the staff who made our stay so memorable. We will definatly stay there again if we are in sussex."

• Travel date: 14th February 2004

Hotels near Royal Victoria Hotel

Royal Victoria Hotel is also called

• best western hastings
  • st. leonards-on-sea best western
  • hastings best western