Basic B&B but...

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This is a good basic B&B. The positives are its location - close to the beach. The breakfast were good and the host are very pleasent. Describing themselves as luxurious and spacious rooms is streching it a bit far. We were on the 3rd floor of a renovated terrace house which means the hike up and down to our room was a hassle. The rooms are furnished exclusively with furniture, crockery and fittings from IKEA. Not my idea of luxury. The renovation was bland and looked like it had been done in a hurry. A number of times there was no hot water in the showers and we had to wait for the bolier to reheat."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of June 2008

Fabulous stay

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Guesthouse East as part of a small group participating in a triathlon at nearby Seaford. We had a double room on the third floor. The room was fine, and included a separate kitchen and spacious, light, bathroom with a great shower.
Fiona and Mike were excellent hosts. On the Friday night a healthy pre-triathlon evening meal had been requested, and we arrived to a truly maginificent buffet of salads, cold meats and seafood. An equally healthy but filling breakfast was offered the morning of the event. There were pastries, breads, fruit, yoghurt, cereals and a huge range of seeds and grains. Coffee was freshly brewed.
On the Sunday morning most of our group tucked into Mike's Full English breakfast which was fantastic.
In addition, Mike also arranged the hire of a bike for the event for one of our group with absolute minimum fuss and for a very reasonable charge.
The only drawback was the bed in our room comprised two singles pushed together; if you really want a double it'd be worth requesting one when you book. Mattresses could have been firmer as well.
All in all a great experience; we'd gladly return."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of September 2007

A breath of fresh air.

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I've just spent a weekend at the guesthouse east and I have to say it was a delightful experience. The sourroudings, atmosphere and welcome were commendable. I would recommend this accommodation to anyone. I feel years younger. Thanks for everything, I'll be back definately.
Marie from Ireland."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of May 2007

A little gem by the sea

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Together with my wife and family, I've just returned from a great weekend at the Guesthouse East ("GHE"), Eastbourne. Whilst I should be working from my home in Belgravia, I keep looking out of the window and wishing I was back by the South Coast!

The big advantage of the GHE is it's location (stone's throw to the beach and a short walk to the South Downs) and it's contemporary family accommodation (my family of four slept comfortably in our room and made full use of our kitchen and ensuite bathroom.

I'm an Architect and my wife is an interior designer so you can imagine what a pain we can be. Not this time. This fabulous and elegant victorian building (listed I believe) has been sympathetically modernised by the owners Fiona and Mike who have managed to introduce a crisp modern interior into a grand building.

Fiona and Mike, a charming couple, seem to have mastered the art of being great hosts whilst "not being in your face". In fact, once we got the kids to bed, we enjoyed a glass of wine with them in the spacious dining area. It was here we learnt of their other business which involves fitness/running weekends etc. As my wife has discovered running in recent years, she has now signed up for a training weekend for her and the girls!

Eastbourne really is, no really, a happening place and has a far more youthful feel then I ever imagined. Certainly, for us, with our two young boys, it made for a perfect short break and the standard of accomodation, the service (including a hearty but strangely grease free cooked breakfast) on offer at the GHE made it the perfect base to explore the area. Thoroughly recommend it and will be back.

Andrew T, Belgravia"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

GoodEnoughForAnAmerican

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I visit the UK from the US every year and stay at least one night at The Guesthouse East in Eastbourne. I would describe it as a 'Britain at its best' bed and breakfast. The outside of the guesthouse is welcoming. The rooms are spacious and stylishly decorated, and they even have luxurious body lotions, shampoos and ‘the like’ in the bathrooms. Fiona and Mike (the owners) are always on top of everything I request, as well as being friendly and pleasant at all times. I’ve even sat around and had a glass of wine with them! The breakfast is satisfying and healthy which is the way I like it, and Fiona and Mike are so accommodating that if you asked for more “fat” I’m sure they’re give you a generous helping of it. I highly recommend The Guesthouse East as a great way to relax and visit a seaside town in an extremely beautiful location, and to top it all off, it’s only half a block from the sea-front, fantastic!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Great Welcome, will be back!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"My wife and I have visited Eastbourne on a few occasions, with the last two stays spent at the charming Guest House East.

We are currently planning a further visit which promoted us to also do our long overdue trip review. I have just read the review from "Babsy" and feel that we must have been staying at different hotels!

On the two occasions that we visited we found the hosts, Fiona and Mike to be very hospitable, with requirements met at short notice. This was all to evident when my wife and I stayed at the Hotel in October 2006, following a holiday in Portugal. My wife was unwell during our stay which prevented us from travelling home. The request for a further night's accommodation including assistance in obtaining medical advice was never an issue.

We returned in March 2007 and stayed in Room 4, which is very delightful with the added benefit of a Sea View.

We are both keen walkers and the hotel's proximity to the South Downs and the beach is ideal. On this occasion we also decided to take advantage of the breakfast facility and must say that "Mike's Full English" certainly set us both up for our day's walking.

We hope to call again soon and may well take the hosts up on the personal training programme run by the Running Inn.

Mr & Mrs Johnston - North London - Stayed 12th/13th Mar 07"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of April 2007

Great family accommodation

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"We have just spent a weekend here at the Guesthouse East. We were given a great welcome by Fiona and Mike who didn't seem at all fazed by our 3 soccer crazed boys! The rooms were tastefully decorated and were perfect for us (family of 5)- we didn't want a stuffy hotel environment . The weather was cold but great and Fiona and Mike offered us an extra heater which we felt that we did not need but they seemed very concerned about the boys. If and when we return to Eastbourne we will definetly return here."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

Family friendly B and B

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"This is a lovely family friendly Band B , 5 mins from the beach, reasonably priced with contemporary decor. perfect for a weekend at the beach. The owners are very friendly and full of helpful advice. Everything works and the building is well maintained and cared for. It has everything you need for kids ( including a DVD player) should the weather fail."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

Dissillusioned & Dissappointed

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"The photographs on the website for this hotel are very decieving be warned! The external appearance of the building was unwelcoming and the glass panels on the front door were covered in what appeared to be a frosted vinyl film and there was one very dismal small flower pot placed on the top step. The entrance hall was cramped and unwelcoming and we could see the breakfast tables and chairs were chrome resembling those used by coffee shops outside! The presence of plastic cereal containers reminded me of a youth hostel not at all what I was expecting from the photographs on the web site. In reality the room we were shown to was damp & musty. The very old storage radiator had obviously not been on for a long time and hence there was no chance of the room getting any warmer that cold afternoon in October. But Fiona the hostest did offer to bring a fan heater up to our room. The sparsley dressed bed was literally 'shoved' against one of the walls and to get out of that side of the bed you would have had to crawl over the other perons. My partner likes to take photographs of the sun rising and setting and hence I can be left alone in my hotel room for a number of hours, which in a warm pleasant room is a luxury to me being able to read. BUT this room was only supplied with an old white whicker chair, well past its sell by date and the cushion on the base was not going to make it any more comfortable for a couple of hours and the bed was quite simply to low to the floor to be able to sit on comfortably. Thus prior to unpacking we descended the 3 flights of stairs to request a bigger, better equipped & warmer room. But we were told by Mike the other host that all the rooms would be the same and he was surprised that we did not like the room as no one else had complained before. Despite Fiona offering to show us another room because of the comments made by Mike we decided to seek alternative accommodation this was at 2.15pm on a Saturday afternoon. Subsequently we were charged the full rate for the room which we occupied for no more than 5 minutes whilst we discussed what we should do. PS we did manage to find a room very quickly at the nearby Grand Hotel and the welcome and the service we received was simply second to none, the only problem was we had not taken the correct type of clothes to wear in the restaurant, but we had a lovely stay in a lovely warm room!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007