The Devonshire Park Hotel Eastbourne

3 star excellence

Reviewed Wed 25th of March 2015

"Spent three nights in this quiet, handily placed hotel. The room was very clean and comfy with a comfortable bed and a good variety of drinks on the hospitality tray including bottles of water which were renewed daily. The en suite was a good size with a powerful shower and complimentary toiletries which were a cut above. We had three delicious evening meals chosen from a varied reasonably priced menu and served efficiently and quickly. The side dishes of vegetables were cooked perfectly and were piping hot. Help yourself coffee was laid on to drink in the bar or one of the comfortable lounges. The breakfasts were excellent with a good choice of continental breakfast and/or cooked such as a full English. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we would certainly stay here again. All in all, there was nothing we didn't like. "

• Travel date: Tue 24th of March 2015

Lovely hotel - just don't be late for dinner!

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Devonshire Park for one night on my own. Lovely hotel, I was upgraded to a double so that was great.

Great sunny and light room, overlooking the gardens with two huge windows. Very comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. Flat screen TV/DVD, digital radio, and most importantly for me - hot choc sachets!

Clean bathroom - the shower was just an over-the-bath one so the pressure could have been better but otherwise fine. Nice products too.
Very friendly hotelier on my arrival - even got me jars of honey for a cold remedy!

After a lovely walk, I returned in time for dinner (not incl) - so I thought. Chef okayed another diner and I went down to the restaurant. However, I was obviously last in, and felt an inconvenience with brusque service and loud comments from the chef about latecomers. I believe issues should be raised with the hotel at the time, rather than venting on a review, so I mentioned this to my waitress. To their credit, they were very apologetic, and in the event, didn't charge me for dinner.

The food itself was fine (set 4 course menu), lovely piece of sea bass and delicious dessert. Lovely cooked breakfast the next morning too.

Great location, back from the promenade so nice and quiet. Lovely little hotel, comfy lounges and a DVD selection free. I would recommend, and stay again. But perhaps go out for dinner.
As a solo female guest I didn't feel at all awkward - although I think I lowered the average age by about 20 years!"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of September 2009

All good

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Booked this for a one night stay based on the positive TripAdvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. The hotel is just outside the Town Centre and just off the seafront, so within easy walking distance of everything, and in a nice quiet road. We received a very friendly welcome. Room was excellent, very clean, well decorated and comfortable. The cooked breakfast was freshly prepared and excellent. Will definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of September 2009

Highly recommended

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"On arrival the reception staff were obliging and friendly. For a relaxing leisure break this must be one of the best hotels in Eastbourne. The food can only be described as delicious, the best quality and the dining room staff were always pleasnat and helpful. The room we stayed at (No 16) was spacious and clean, it had a king size bed and a settee in the bay window. Hifi reception was very good. We will stay at this hotel again, as for previous quote regarding price--"You only get what you pay for"
There were three lounges which were always clean, a vast selection of books and DVD's if you wanted them.
The ideal hotel for a quiet relaxing break"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of August 2009

Peaceful and Spotless!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"If you're looking for a base while sampling the delights of Eastbourne you could do little better than the Devonshire Park.

Staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful.

A quiet hotel that caters more for older clientele. There are no less than three lounges, one with a bar, one with broadband internet access (free), and one quiet lounge.

We stayed in a small suite(with a balcony) that was very comfortable and absolutely spotless as were all the public areas of the hotel. The suite was well furnished and had a large flat screen TV with DVD in the lounge and a smaller one in the bedroom. The hotel has a large library of DVDs for guests use.

The hotel is just across the road from two theatres and only a couple of minutes walk from the seafront. The town centre is about a ten minute walk away.

Food is freshly prepared and there is a good breakfast menu. We had one dinner which was quite reasonable but the portions were quite small.

My only slight concern is parking. The hotel has a smallish and quite awkward car park that was often full when we stayed, but there is free parking on the opposite side of the road and we had no problems."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

Comfortable and relaxing

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"On arrival we were made very welcome. Room was spacious and comfortable with a view of the green at the back. My Father (92) was delighted with his room. Staff were very good with nothing too much trouble. Restaurant was of a very high standard with attentive staff and a daily changing menu. We enjoyed three courses of superb food every day of our weeks stay. Parking was no trouble although in high season I can see a problem but there is plenty of parking outside in the road."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of June 2009

Great 4th Stay

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"This was my 4th Stay at this hotel for a conference I was attending opposite the hotel. I will be styaing twice again in 2009. Really lovely hotel, clean, comfortable, nice rooms and good breakfast. Parking is good during the quiet season."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of November 2008

Eastbourne First Timer

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Stayed at the Devonshire Park Hotel on the 11th October 2008. This was because a of spur of the moment theatre trip.Found the theatre, then found the hotel. Walked in of the street and first impressions of the reception area, prompted me too search no futher.The positive aspect of the hotel was its cleanliness. All areas were spotless. The staff were pleasant and welcoming. The room was spacious and had a seperate mini lounge. The breakfast room was airy and spotlessly clean. The food was of a good standard and presented well. The hotel was central for theatres and shopping. Value for money would be the only question mark. Perhaps a 20% reduction of rates would be a good price for an otherwise enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of October 2008