Bad start...good ending..

Reviewed Wed 4th of July 2012

"When we first arrived the room we were in faced out onto what looked like some kind of boiler or something and to top that off we had what sounded like an elephant up above us. We went to reception and they immediately moved us to a room on the 3rd floor facing out towards the sea. We had a very comfortable night and all was well. On the Friday morning we woke up to find loads of ants crawling around the tv, kettle etc...this was confined to the one area and my partner went down to reception to get a member of management. The duty manager could nt have been more helpful. She offered to give us a refund but thats not what we wanted. So instead she gave us our breakfast free for the next 2 mornings and immediately moved us down to another room which was looking directly onto the sea through double patio type windows and another full length window looking out towards the pier. All in all we had a lovely time at the Travelodge and the staff were absolutely lovely and handled the situation very professionally. This was just a one off situation and was solely confined to the one room. I would recommend this Hotel and hope to be back there in summer of 2013...x "

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2012

lovely views...

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"Went to Eastbourne to attend a wedding and was told about Travelodge so booked it. Rang them a few days in advance to book a cot for my 16 month old daughter and was told it would be no problem.
Arrived on a very wet day and was given a first floor room from a very friendly receptionist. Initial reactions to the room were it was very basic but had everything we needed. Had a double bed and a fold out couch/bed and got a cot at reception for my baby.The bathroom is small and basic but no problems.Plenty of hot water and towels.The view was just beautiful as it's right on the sea front. I've read reviews about the noise but I found it wasn't too bad. My kids hear everything but they slept great in the room.
Breakfast was lovely. Plenty of food was served, from croissants to a fry and coffee and tea(all self service so you get as much as you want). On our last morning in Eastbourne my son wanted Blackcurrant juice which isn't provided but a very helpful member of staff,Vicky, ran off and got him some Blackcurrant squash instead which made his day!
We also sampled the menu on our last evening as it was such bad weather. The food was lovely. Both my kids enjoyed the lasagne and the dessert was lovely.
Paul was the receptionist when we were leaving and he was very helpful and friendly.
The only fault I had, which I had read about but it wasn't too bad, was the smell of cigarette smoke from the vent in the bathroom. Obviously someone else had smoked in their room and the smell got into our vents.That was the only bad point.
Apart from that, cheap and cheerful.You get what you pay for."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of September 2008

Noise spoilt the stay

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2013

"Booking into this Travelodge at 5.30pm last Saturday evening, I had a bit of a bad feeling. We were allocated room one - conveniently close to the front desk...hmmm.

We were out for the evening at my in-laws, and returned at about 11.30pm. The bare, basic, (to be expected) but charmless room was stiflingly hot, despite the fact we'd opened the top windows and closed the curtains before we left for the evening.

But that was when the fun started. The room's french windows opened directly onto the street, and from when we settled in to about 2am, there was a constant stream of banging car doors, idling taxis and the loud chatter of guests returning from a large event. The highlight was a patron honking his evening's intake of beer all over the pavement just outside our room - lovely!

To add to the fun, the guests all came through the hotel's night-secured front door, which meant a buzzer going off each time someone tried to get in. Then they barged through the slamming fire doors, and either stomped down the corridor or, more often, called the lift which announced its arrival and departure with a loud electronic two-tone. Finally, the night quietened down at about 2am - only for the same process in reverse to kick in at 7.30am.

The bed was worn out and saggy rather than soft; we only got the extra bedding we'd requested (so that my son could sleep on the floor since there were only double rooms available) after two chases. Service was perfunctory and gave the impression that the staff expected guests to nick anything that wasn't nailed down. This was exemplified by the breakfast attendant standing guard in the cafe to ensure no-one slipped out with an extra bacon buttie!

I told the receptionist about our experience on the way out - and was met with shrugged shoulders.

It was a bad room on the wrong night - but had we been warned that the room was likely to be so noisy, we could have made alternative arrangements.

I left the Travelodge tireder than when I arrived - having paid £65 for the 'pleasure'."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of September 2008

Good location.... Nice Seaview

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"We stayed at this hotel for 2 night over the August bank holiday weekend.

The hotel is in a good location right on the sea front and only a few minutes walk from the pier and a few pubs, restaurants and shops.

The hotel room was good, clean and comfortable, with a really soft comfortable bed. The bathroom was quite small but fine. We had a nice seaview, the only thing that spoilt the view was the pigeon mess on the balcony!!!

The only real problem was the lack of air-con, the room was so hot, and you could only open the window a little bit and the window was quite small. If the weather was really nice and it was warmer it would be unbearably hot.

The price of the hotel was reasonable seeing as it was bank holiday, costing about £60 per night.

If you go then you have to try the Italian ice cream shop by the hotel, it really nice. Also Cosmo’s Chinese restaurant round the back of the Queens Hotel, it a buffet (eat as much as you want) and it was very good.

All in all we had a good and relaxing long weekend, and would go back to the hotel if visiting Eastbourne again."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

fantastic value for money

Reviewed Sun 3rd of February 2013

"Only booked this at 10am in the morning for same day arrival, paid £65 for a family room (sleeps 4). Considering it was for a Saturday night on a Bank Holiday weekdend -- excellent value. I'm sure if you book in advance it would be even cheaper.
Had never stayed in Eastbourne before, just driven through.
Hotel is opposite the beach, 2 mins walk from the pier.
There is no parking, meters opposite (not in use yet so free at moment) but had to drive around for a good 10 mins to find space nearby.
Checked in with the most charming, helpful and efficient receptionist Joanna.
We were given a Seaview/Pierview room on the second floor (No 213) and it was perfect. The kids spent ages staring at the twinkling pier at night time instead of going to sleep.

The room was spacious and very clean. Double bed, sofa with pullout trundle. TV ( 7 channels or so ) and kettle with plenty of nice instant coffee/tea etc.Asked for extra pillows and towels at reception as only 3 pillows/ 2 big towels supplied for family room. Plenty of storage space.
Bathroom spotless, efficient shower over bath, soap supplied.

If you want a quiet room but no view it is better to overlook the back as road noisy during day but at night ok and crashing waves very soothing. Heard no neighbours etc so very quiet on that side. The room has floor to ceiling doors over a little balcony but they do not open. Above is a very narrow small window that does open but on a hot day the room would be too warm, no aircon.

When I went into the bathroom in the morning it reeked of smoke (non smoking hotel....) so I guess the guest above must have smoked in the bathroom ,thinking no one would notice , but it drifts though the airvents... not nice , did they assume nobody could smell it in their bathroom afterwards either ??
All the common areas were spotlessly clean, I have trained in hotel management in Germany and I spot dirt where others would not look....

The front of the hotel could do with a few containers with big palm trees or something similar to enhance its street appeal, it's very barren looking.

Breakfast the next morning was fantastic.! Very busy as hotel full but staff very speedy and helpful. When I asked Roberto for a cereal they had run out of he stopped straight away at what he was doing and got it for me, he cleared the tables of dirty bowls etc without having to be asked, some waiters in top restaurants could learn from him, top marks also to the blonde girl working with him, same work attitude.

They had a coffee machine for cappuccino/latte/coffee and hot water plus great assortment of different teas and instant coffee.
4 or 5 different cereals/muesli, orange and apple juice, grapefruit/oranges, nice joghurt. Also brown and white bread, jams, honey lovely scrambled eggs (best I had in a long time on a buffet), beans, tomatoes, perfect bacon. Can't remember sausages, I'm sure they were there too. £7.50 per adult, 1 child per adult free.
They have a little bar in the corner of the cafe and you can also eat there at night time, bar again looked gleaming and tidy.

Having worked in the hotel industry and for an airline all my life I have certainly seen many hotels on my travels. This place was perfectly run in my opinion , staff had a great attitude to service, good location for beach access.
A lot of more expensive higher graded hotels could learn from this establishment.
A previous reviewer mentioned everybody was foreign ( and spoke 2 languages... ), like me indeed they were but with service like that obviously an asset !

A bit about Eastbourne and other families with kids:
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed , had not really researched it and felt the area was a bit shabby. Maybe we just stayed in the less nicer end of town, do not know.
We walked along terminus street ( away from pier) and there were not many lovely restaurants (maybe 2 or 3 looked good) or shops to be spotted. Luckily I noted down before we left there was a pizza express (turn left after arndale shopping ctr at nat west bank corner) so we had a nice meal, also saw a zizzis. Also a spar supermarket on terminus street, handy for wine, nibbles etc.
We drove towards sovereign harbour, (it rained next day ) and spotted treasure island and an amusement park plus indoor pool/leisure ctr..
Had a look around Sovereign Habour, looked nice with a few restaurants/cafes overlooking marina.
Guess maybe Hastings has a few more nice cafes/bars/restaurants/pubs and Rye certainly does.If you like your beach sandy Camber Sands is not too far to drive to.

Drove via Brighton on way home and found the most fantastic kids playground along the seafront at Hove Lagoon. It had a gigantic splashpool, tons of great climbing equipment, sandpit, skatepark, put and pitch, nice looking cafe and WCs right by the promenade. One of the best playgrounds I have seen in a long time, good people spotting too (yummy mummies and dads looked like they worked in the film/music industry.

Enjoy !"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2008

Noisy Doors

Reviewed Sat 2nd of February 2013

"A very disappointing stay, Very noisy, fire doors already worn out and slam shut instead of closing slowly. So when some nutter comes in at 2.30 am you hear them coming , passing and then going (5 doors slamming). Check in time far too late. Every one comes at 3pm.Scum line round the bath and sticky floor. Place is mostly staffed by Eastern Europeans talking in foreign. No local TV station only London so we did not get local news and local weather. very basic and bland. Could do with a few pictures on the walls and a bit more colour other than white. Could do with a few flowers etc outside. A few good points, water always hot. bed, linen and towels OK."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of August 2008

Great Value for Money and Great Location

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"Having booked three nights at this Travelodge (and stayed at a couple of other Travelodges in the UK) I was a little worried when I read bad reviews by other travellers on this website....So having just got back I felt I had to let you have my positive feedback.............the hotel is a very large, old Victorian building right on the seafront almost opposite the pier and we were lucky enough to have a sea view room. The accomodation is typical of the Travelodge chain in being basic but our family room was perfectly adequate, plain but what do you expect for the price (£29 a night unfortunately we couldn't get the £19 rooms when we wanted to go), reasonably clean (few crumbs on the sofa but bedding and bathroom clean, and not exceptionally noisy as previous reports.) I was anxious about the long corridors with banging doors but this wasn't a problem when we stayed and the staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast (with reduction for booking on line) was extremely good value. By the way if you stay there we found an excellent Polish restaurant called Little Polka at 55 Seaside Road, bit like being in someone's front room and great food -open 12noon to 9pm and take your own alcohol (corkage £1). A must if you don't like the chains and american burgers/spaghetti houses and tapas!."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of August 2008

Commendable Lodge

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"Reading through the reviews on here we were very excited about our stay at this Travelodge. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and our check in was quick and easy. The reception staff always smiled, said hello and anything we needed or queries we had were dealt with immediately. Excellent customer service - much better than any other Travelodge we have stayed in.

We had our dog, Harry with us and paid an extra £10 (which we were told covers extra cleaning) for him to stay in the room with us and he loved the beach.

Even though our room was not sea facing, we were 10 yards from the beach and the rooms at the back of the hotel are slightly quieter. Our room was very clean, we were a little confused by the white duvet covers but, the beds are lovely and comfortable.

Breakfast was extremely busy (it was sunday and there was a large wedding party staying the night before) the staff worked exceptionally hard to replenish breakfast items and clear tables. The eggs tasted much better than the eggs we have had when we stayed at another travelodge - the supplier has changed, thankfully.

We would not hesitate in going back, although we would probably take the train so that neither of us have to drive, we wont have to find a car parking space (although the receptionist did say the meters wont come into force until october 08) and its £4 in a taxi from the train station to the hotel.

Overall an excellent, enjoyable, comfortable stay - we cant wait to go back !!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

pretty good!!

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"I must admit that Travelodge Eastbourne was a surprise for me.
First of all it is perfectly located just moments away from the Pier of Eastbourne and it has a lovely view over the sea; at least I was lucky enough to have a room with an amazing view.
The room was tidy and clean and spacious enough for two people. The furniture was new and the room made you feel cosy at once.
The only problem I could say i had was as fas as the bathroom is concerned. It was clean but it gave the feeling you were in the bathroom of a hospital; it was extremely simple with a tiny shower (with that awful plastic curtain) even if the room was quite big; i guess they could have put a bigger shower.
The price of the room was £65 per night (breakfast not included) and I must admit that the hotel was 100 times better than some others that asked for at least £100 per night (minimum stay 2 nights) but looked pretty awful and dirty.
Overall it was very good and there is no question that next time i am in Eastbourne i am staying there."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Great location!

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2013

"We enjoyed our night at the Eastbourne Travelodge. What a superb location & we requested & were allocated a sea view room. Great value. But the room looked very boring & taty for such a new hotel / no colour / no pictures.
The staff were rallying around in the morning as the Chef was off sick - they looked abit harassed but remained friendly & helpful.
The sofa bed had biscuit crumbs, a finger nail & dog hairs...not so welcome!"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of February 2008

Travelodge not up to usual standard

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Nicely central a few mins from pier. No onsite parking and Eastbourne are soon to introduce year round on front parking charges.

Hotel typical Travelodge, a bit impersonal, bland interior, breakfasts OK in content only (£7.50 extra/pp to room rate) but spoilt by at least 2 cooked items each day cold and un-appetising). Items left too long on heated tray which didn't do job of keeping it hot.
Staff more interested in chatting among selves than attending to essentials.

Tried a 'snack' type evening meal as really bitter cold outside
and again Tomato soup (heated in microwave) cold.
Lasagne was rubbery and the filling watery and thin, served with salad of lettuce/2 small cherry tomatoes. Small portions and not very good value for money.
Little real choice on menu. Not much sign of trying here.

Hotel has small eatery/limited bar area with no sofas a la Travelodge.

Room small, clean apart from around the skirting board and sea facing. All items worked.

Bed not up to usual standard, not foam but poorly sprung with plasticy mattress cover feeling through the top sheet and making bed sweaty and uncomfortable.

Not ideal for holiday stay and if its rating is anything to go by the rest of Eastbourne hotels can't be trying very hard. Have had lots of dis-appointments on this front.

Eastbourne itself still good for its target market (over 60's)
but WHY oh WHY are they trying hard to drive people away with year round parking charges in the central hotel/promenade area's. Can only be for the obvious money making motives.
I and others may decide to give it miss for this reason alone
and I AM IN MY 60'S. Silly billy's if you get my drift."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2008

Noise ,noise and more noise!

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"Often stay in Travelodges,good value if you can book a saver rate,.Have read noise is a problem in some locations but we thought Eastbourne would be quiet,oh how wrong can you be!The Hotel is a large one with 90 rooms all of which are non-smoking.There are fire doors galore on all the corridors which click shut very loudly.Whilst we were there the Hotel was full of men working in Eastbourne,they shouted and ran up and down the stairs and corridors until 3am each night! shouting,sleep was impossible.The Hotel has a bar open until 1am which added to the noise problem .Parking is on street and it is very difficult to find a space.On the plus side the rooms are clean spacious and warm and it is walking distance along the front to the town.If you like a quiet Hotel pay a bit more money there are many lovely Hotels in Eastbourne."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of January 2008

Hotels near Shore View Hotel

Top traveller tips for Shore View Hotel

• linda K by linda K

"If for any reason you are dissatisfied with any thing...go to reception and talk to the staff...they are more than willing to help. "

Shore View Hotel is also called