Reception Room

Good

A Birthday Treat

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"My Husband couldn't think of a birthday present for me,so thought it would be nice to visit Eastbourne as we hadn't been there for about 25 years.He looked on the website of the Gladwyn Hotel and thought it would be suitable as I do like small hotels. How right was he in his choice! We decided to go by train and leave the car behind and we were so pleased to find that the hotel was only a few minutes walk from the station. On arrival at the Gladwyn we were met by Gary who,together with Saffie and Billy(the hotels dogs)made us feel so welcome from the start.The dogs are really friendly-Saffie being 16 and gorgeous and Billy,full of energy at only a few months old. We were in the Oriental room,which was large,light and airy.It was very clean and tidy and had a basketful of complimentary toiletries which we may have forgotten to bring with us.We were most impressed(or at least I was!)to find in the basket a set of emery boards and shoeshine-I haven't seen those in a 5star hotel! There was also tea,coffee,drinking chocolate and even choccie biscuits to welcome us! We were being spoilt! The bed was most comfortable,decor not overdone,bathroom spacious and we felt so comfortable there. We didn't have to rush down to breakfast,so everything was leisurely.The breakfast was fantastic.There was grapefruit,prunes(to get us going)large individual packets of many varieties of cereal.We also had apple juice,cranberry juice and orange juice.There were yoghurts of all flavours. The full english breakfast consisted of bacon,eggs(poached,fried or scrambled)beans,mushrooms,tomatoes,hash browns and really beautifully presented.This followed with toast(brown or white)marmalade and jams-or even marmite if we preferred. The location couldn't have been better,only 10minutes walk to the lovely shopping centre and only a very short walk to the promenade.Our room overlooked Devonshire Park and we found it so quiet at nights.We weren't even disturbed by seagulls,NOT being in a hotel on the seafront.We have heard from friends that stayed in the seafront hotels that they couldn't sleep because of the noise of the seagulls! We stayed for 3 nights and had a wonderful time,thanks to the hospitality of Gary,Paul and Frank. We are really looking forward to the next time we visit the Gladwyn and could really recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: 5th August 2005

Loved the Gladwyn

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"Agree with other reviewers--a lovely place to stay. Visited early May 05. Nice staff, beautiful hotel and room, great big comfortable bed (king sized or close to it), great full english breakfast, friendly hotel dog Saffie (if you don't like dogs don't worry, she's not roaming, we asked to meet her). They offered to keep our bags in their office all day after we checked out so we could go to Brighton and back without dragging our luggage. And a perfectly fair price too. It was our first night in England and we only were there one night but my husband and I both felt it was a wonderful start to our holiday."

• Travel date: 21st May 2005

Another happy customer

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"I agree with the comments above. Only stayed one night but greeted like a long lost friend and nothing was too much trouble. The room was clean and comfortable with every wish anticipated - I particularly enjoyed the hot chocolate before I went to bed. Breakfast was great and I even got a pot of lemon tea....I am just not used to this level of service. Well done everyone at the Gladwyn."

• Travel date: 28th April 2004