About Fairlands Hotel

• evening entertainment

Weekend away

Reviewed Tue 18th of November 2014

"We stayed for 2nights in November we found the hotel a bit dated non central heating in rooms just 1 small fan heater on the wall it could really need so money spent on the interior the staff were all excellent and the owner was a good laugh the food for the price we paid was very good they even took our bags to the room for us and took them down again when we left we did not go to the entertainment but the lady singing sounded really good "

• Travel date: Thu 13th of November 2014

Fairllands Hotel aka fawlty towers

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"We have just returned from a Travelstyle holiday at fairlands hotel. What a shambles the room was damp with a fusty smell.The breakfasts were quite good but the evening meals left a lot to be desired.The waiting on staff were good but the rest of the hotel was very poor the beds were never made properly everthing in the bedroom was crooked I dont think they had ever heard of a spirit level.We would never stay at this hotel again and would certainly think twice about travelling with Travelstyle"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of March 2013

Very friendly place to stay and excellent value for money.

Reviewed Fri 22nd of March 2013

"I don’t know where the Faulty Towers comments came from as my experience was excellent. For the price it exceeded expectations.
I am retired and went for 5 days. I found the staff to be very friendly, a good laugh, and made me feel welcome all week. The only issue I had was my TV aerial didn’t work, but they bent over backwards to fix it getting a man out twice.
It could do with decorating as the decor is old and worn in places. If they decorated they would then charge more so I don’t see it as an issue. It was however clean and comfortable. The food was tasty honest home cooked food.
I spent most evenings out, but the one night I stayed in to listen to the singer I found her very good and the evening enjoyable.

Basically if you want fine dining and modern decor go to an expensive hotel. If you want a friendly great value place to use a base to explore Eastbourne you could do much worse than this, it is therefore recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of April 2010

very enjoyable

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We have just had our first trip to eastbourne and went with travel style on a 4 day twixmas break and after reading a lot of very bad reviews we were very nervous about what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised,the room was nice,the bedding was clean,the room was lovely and warm and the owner and his wife couldnt have been more pleasant. They bent over backwards to ensure you had a good time. For what we paid for the holiday i think it was very good value for money and we would definitely go again. we even had a sea view room and the owner told us if we book again to ring him up and if it is empty we can have the same room. For those people who have done all the complaining if you expect 5 star luxury then book a 5 star hotel. Chrissy and Alan Thraves (nottingham )"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2010

Faulty Towers without the comedy or the heating. DON'T GO IN WINTER

Reviewed Thu 21st of March 2013

"My Friend and I stayed at this 'hotel' on a 'Dickensian Xmas Weekend. On arrival we were freezing cold and wet and looked forward to a warm up and a hot bath. How wrong could we be? The place was absolutely freezing,the bed linen was damp and the hot water was sporadic. The only heating in our room was a one bar fire set high on the wall which although it had been left on had no impact on the arctic temperature in our bay fronted room. We went to ask about the heating and my friend was offered two solutions....either hot water bottles or a Toy Boy!!!! Obviously she was not amused and we were furnished with a small fan heater which we had to run all night just to keep it bearable.
The food was okay....no choice and only a single glass of water with our meal. Breakfast had to be eaten in the dark as he ignored requests to put the lights on. When we all came down for breakfast we were refused entry to the dining room and ushered into the 'lounge' (doctors waiting room) where we all waited not really knowing what was going on....Then came the gong!!!! One elderly gentleman sitting opposite us nearly fell off his chair and anyone with a weak heart would not have survived!!!!!
We payed extra to Travelstyle for xmas party night entertainment and when we all came down in the evening we were met with a lady with a few backing tracks. The elderly man behind the bar didn't even know which glass to serve drinks in and spent ages trying to decide and then had no idea what the prices should be.
In short the 'warm' welcome we were promised was much more arctic. The owner was friendly but seemed to have no idea that the condition of his hotel was not what his guests expected. I would suggest that bookers from Travelstyle have not visited this 'hotel' as it is not the same as they advertise in their brochure."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of January 2010

Best Faulty Towers I have ever been to.

Reviewed Tue 19th of March 2013

"Spent 4 days over New Year 09, made to feel very welcome. There was nothing to much trouble for the staff of this family run hotel. Although no choice of meals the food was well prepared and nothing was sent back from our table. They gave us a New Year to remember. One of the nicest Travelstyle Hotels we have stopped in. I would recommend to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of January 2010

Lovely, friendly welcome and comfortable stay at the Fairlands Hotel

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"After reading some of the previous negative reviews about this hotel we were a little worried about staying there, but needn't have been at all, and feel we must put the record straight, as the Fairlands is a lovely hotel.
We went on a Travelstyle 3 night Yuletide break in Dec 2009.
Upon arrival, we were met with a very friendly welcome, given a glass of sherry and our bags were taken up to our rooms.
Our rooms although basic, were very comfortable and clean with clean crisp sheets on the beds. You can tell they are trying to make all the rooms more modern and although there are no showers in the rooms yet, the bath was clean and more than adequate. We had a remote control colour television, plenty of space including chairs and a table and tea and coffee facilites. Adjustable central heating in the room and several lighting options.
The food was better than expected with a starter, main course and dessert followed by tea and coffee for evening meal and for breakfast a starter such as fruit juice or choice of cereal, toast, tea and coffee and a full English breakfast.
The previous comments about the food are incorrect in my opinion.
They really made an effort and gave us a decent choice for evening meal 2 out of the 3 nights there. One of the evenings we had a Christmas dinner and they even gave us a complimentary glass of wine and arranged for Father Christmas to visit us and give us all a present each which was really nice. Bottles of wine and Liqueur chocolates a plenty! It made for a lovely evening the fact they put so much effort in.
On one of the other evenings we had a candlelit dinner. Both the restaurant and bar were decorated nicely with Christmas decorations.
I must comment about the breakfast as someone said it was a chipolata sausage and fried egg only. This is untrue. It was generally 5 options such as bacon, egg (fried, scrambled or poached), decent sized sausage, and 2 others from beans, hash brown and fried bread. They did vary it a bit.
The bar prices were excellent for a hotel, they had Carling and bitter on draught. A pint of Carling or a glass of Rose wine were only £2.50 each, better than some pub prices!
We had bingo on our first evening there with Mike the barman doubling up as bingo caller, and a duet and a former cruise ship singer/entertainer on the other 2 nights.
What we really liked about the Fairlands Hotel was the friendly atmosphere and response we received from staff, in fact we were all made to feel like valued customers.
Lucky, the owner/manager was really friendly and chatted to us on numerous occasions and made us feel very welcome there. It was almost effortless to him and not false at all. He's a really nice bloke who seems committed to making the Fairlands a success.
Mike, the barman is also a nice friendly bloke who has got his bar prices spot on!
We had a great 3 night break at Fairlands and think the negative comments are totally unfair. We have stayed at posh 4 star hotels before but have never received the lovely warm friendly welcome and customer service we received at Fairlands.
It's not the Ritz, but if you don't expect luxury facilities and want a nice, friendly comfortable stay then this is the place for you. The location is spot on, right near the sea front and minutes from the pier and shopping centre.
We would definitely stay there again if in the area.
Ignore the previous negative comments we have just been there and have been totally honest in our review."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of January 2010

make faulty towers look like the ritz

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"well i only have one tip ; DONT GO ! ! ! thank god we were only there one night we went for one of those xmas market weekends never laughed so much still the drinks were good price because grandad [ who must have been helping out ] could nt add up they had to go to the corner shop to get some lemonade ' o i could go on and on 'ok i will my friends bed was broken and the room smelt damp some of the other people did nt even have heating only one thing to say TRAVELSTYLE IT IS DISGUSTING ! ! ! next time i want a trip away i will reach for my shearing catologue travelstyle NEVER AGAIN"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of December 2009

Just one word "abysmal"

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"The room we had was dirty, the carpet was badly stained and had not been hoovered . It smelled(as did the whole hotel(?)) musty. The draws were not cleaned out ( I wiped them with damp toilet paper and then lined them with plastic bags). When I had a bath there were other peoples hairs in the plughole!! And the bath was slimy. It made me feel sick.The bath was half size and the handles were in the wrong place to help you up, as it was also less than full width and had a slope half its length, was placed with the wash basin actually jutting into the bath, getting out was almost impossible. It was pointless to ask for anything to be done as all the staff proclaimed they "Couldn't speak English"
As for the meals, those people who have said the food was good obviously cannot cook.
The meals were a disgrace, no taste, vegetables and meat with no gravy, puddings burned on the bottom, Smash type potato mixed with so much water they were vile. Weetabix and cornflakes for breakfast which were not the real thing and tasted like cardboard.Meals were large enough for a small child but nowhere near enough for a man. At one time four out of the eight on our table were unwell with what the africans call "toilet music" I have been in hotels all over England, Europe and several far flung places but, never one as bad as this.
Finally, I have to say that the owners, especially Lucky could not have been more attentive or pleasant but, if he wants to make Fairlands a going concern he needs to keep his young serving staff, they were very good but, basically change all the other staff and then keep on top of them checking to see their work is up to standard. That and a complete refurbishment and with Luckys' people skills could work.
However, in the meantime do not go there and hassle Travelstyle who should realise where they are puting their clients.
Disgruntled."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of September 2009

Great place to stay

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"After returning from a wonderful stay in Fairlands Hotel & reading some unflattering reviews, I felt obliged to write my own. After a warm & friendly greeting from the owner & his wife, we had a fantastic stay there. The room was clean & comfortable, the three course breakfast was more than enough to see me through to dinner time where the choice was always great & tasty. The entertainment kept our feet tapping & the hotels location was perfect for a quick stroll to the bandstand or the pier.The owner was very friendly & always helpful as was his wife. I would highly recomend The Fairlands Hotel & will be returning ASAP."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of August 2009

Lovely Time

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Myself & my two sisters (all over 60) stayed at Fairlands for five days,we had a most enjoyable stay, received a warm welcome from the owner & his wife, no complaints about food( and we are rather picky) sheets were nice & white, so I don't know what people expect for the money they paid, would I go back again.YES"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of August 2009

A very dirty hotel,

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Me and my family arrived in Eastbourne for our summer holiday we travelled with a company called Travel style.we were shocked by the state of the hotel it smelled really fusty.I suffer from ashtma the room i stayed was never hoovered, in fact i dont think it had been from the last people who stayed in the room.The first day i arrived i wanted to go home.The food was disgusting usualy when on holiday i put weight on but at this hotel you can lose it. I thought all the time i was there i thought we would get really ill,.In the end to make it bearable i brought cleanning products,my own bed linen and ate out a lot.To sum up one of the worst holidays i have been on,not because of location but the hotel it spoiled my holiday"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of August 2009