Afton Hotel Eastbourne

Reviewed Tue 9th of June 2015

"Stayed at the Afton Hotel recently with my husband and sister we had a great stay from the reception staff which continued right through to the manager Jason and restaurant staff breakfast was excellent plenty of choice are bedrooms were very clean and great entertainment only fault i have the evening meal could have more choice but would stay here again loved it. Sylvia John and Shirley "

• Travel date: Tue 9th of June 2015

great hotel

Reviewed Mon 2nd of February 2015

"We have stayed quite a few times over several years,we love the hotel,the staff,and entertainment are great,whatever room we get its always comfy,clean and in the winter its always nice and warm in the rooms and lounges,we always enjoy the food,never leave the restaurant hungry,we are going back again very soon,Lyn & Nigel Rundle.

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2015

Great value

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"My friends and I took a spur-of-the-moment trip to Eastbourne for the weekend. We hadn't booked anything so we thought we'd ask around at likely places once we arrived. There were a few places along the seaside which were inexpensive but looked a bit dodgy, and then we happened across the Afton. The reception staff was friendly and accommodating, and we were able to get a very good rate for our rooms despite our late arrival and odd numbers. The hotel is in an excellent location set just off the Grand Parade, very central to the pier, seaside, restaurants, and shops. The rooms are set over 3 floors, but there is a lift if you don't relish the idea of constantly puffing up flights of stairs. The main reception/bar area looked very cozy and clean, with a good selection of tables & chairs, armchairs, and couches.

The twin rooms my friends and I stayed in were clean and excellent value for money. The television was very small and received the basic four analogue terrestrial channels. A remote control is provided. The en-suite was compact & clean, however the shower was tiny enough that I could see it being an issue for larger people. Two towels and a personal bar of soap were provided for each person, but I didn't see any washcloths, nor was there complimentary shampoo. Our rooms were closer to the rear of the hotel so we didn't have the noise issue with revelers that some other reviewers have mentioned. However, we did wake up at dawn to some noisy seagulls, which you can't fault the hotel for!

On checking in we had chosen to not take advantage of the optional breakfast (an extra charge), so I can't speak to the quality of the meal, but I definitely took advantage of the in-room kettle & had a nice wake-up cup of tea. A hair-dryer was provided in the room, and there were large mirrors on the wardrobe and over the dressing table.

There is not much more to add, since we only stayed a single night, but overall, we were pleased with our stay at the Afton, and would definitely return."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2010

Excellent Christmas Holiday

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"First time at the Hotel. Booked Christmas holiday on the internet with the Hotel. For a 2 star hotel I was well impressed. Rooms, entertainment, food and staff made the holiday.
We enjoyefd it so much we have booked agaim for Christmas for 2010."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of December 2009

Good hotel, helpful staff, value for money.

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Went there with my husband and 22 year old daughter for turkey and tinsel week with Edwards coaches. Welcome great. Room quite good but bathroom could do with a really good clean. My daughter said her towels were not changed frequently. Food good but plain and could be varied a little. Entertainment average. Staff were great. I see one reviewer has said about the surly attitude of some of the staff - quite frankly I am amazed. All in all, a good family hotel. Maybe not so suitable for youngsters and people of my daughters age as most of the entertainment aimed at much older people. But having said that, my daughter said she liked the hotel and would return."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of October 2009

food could be more varied

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We found on arrival greeted by the manager who was friendly & helpful hotel situated opp pier which means very noisey outside this goes on through till about 2 am so you get little sleep (unless you have several Beers first) hence bedrooms at front hotel not recomended, Hotel not really.suitable for the elderly Breakfasts good eve meals poor small portions no variety eve meals are to late 6 30 means you cant get to the shows meals need to be at 6pm overal would say average"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of September 2009

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"What can I say, a friend recommended The Afton Hotel to me and I was not disssapointed from the friendly welcoming staff and the general atmosphere of the hotel to the rooms which were great and I felt my needs were catered for, top marks to the kitchen staff as the food was excellent (“eat your heart out Gordon Ramsey”) my stay was perfect and I will definitely be returning in the future!"

• Travel date: Tue 21st of April 2009

Opposite Pier Noisy On Friday Saturday Nights

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Generally in a good location opposite the pier, but suffers from the noisy teens going to the disco on the week ends. The food is well cooked and traditional, three choices evening meal the type supplied by your mum.
Breakfast is Traditional with full English served at your table.
There is only one lift so expect to wait.
The Showers are adequate, bit of a squeeze for large persons like me, bed hard giving a good nights sleep. Rooms clean and the chambermaids hard workers.
You have the typical in house provincial entertainment.
We went in March and apart from the cats, the municipal theatres and the cinema Eastbourne is dead."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of March 2009

Lovely Hotel - Shame About the Staff!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I recently stayed at the Afton from 7-10 November 2008. The hotel was clean and tidy and ideally located for the town and its major sights and attractions.

However, the attitudes of some of the staff left a lot to be desired. Some restaraunt staff were rude and unhelpful and made me feel like it was all too much bother to serve me and just generally do their job. On raising this with the Manager, I could see where the attitude stemmed from.

Further, some of the Bar staff didn't seem to like serving drinks.

All I would say is, stay at the Afton by all means but don't expect too much from the staff, customer service and satisfaction was definitely not their prioirty."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of November 2008

Hotels near Afton Hotel

Top traveller tips for Afton Hotel

• Sylvia C by Sylvia C

"Just enjoy yourself and mix with other guests and everyone was friendly "

Afton Hotel is also called