stay away

Reviewed Tue 26th of July 2016

"This place is not suitable for children . food is cold stale. me and the wife are both disabled we booked in on the 25 July - 29 July we didn't even get the chance to see the room. we went and had a meal where you have to pay for the meal before you have even seen the meal. the chip's were COLD and STALE. the pie that my wife had was cold and both meals were reheated in a microwave the wife couldn't eat hers it tasted bad she said . come 1600 hour we were meant to book in but were told it was now 1700.I informed the staff because we are disabled could we get into the room as the wife doesn't feel well . we were informed the rooms were not ready so we went to go outside for a coffee but we didn't make it the wife was SICK. in the end all the wife wished for was to go home. we have lost the money we paid for the week's holiday and we didn't even get to stay one night. this place should be closed down by health and safety. STAY AWAY."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2016

Felt like a refugee camp

Reviewed Tue 26th of July 2016

"Arrived at 15:00 hrs with wife and 2 boys, 3 and 11 years. It was difficult to find the reception, arrived at reception for check in for 16:00, was not clear where exactly to go, no one to greet you. Finally found the check in area, only to be there of that there is a delay and no check No in till 17:00. To add insult to injury, couldn't find parking, no one t direct traffic. This is the worse holiday ever. I thought Haven and Butlins was terrible, not until Pontins.

Service, non existence, literally do it yourself, people what seem to be staff walking around like zombies, or standing like trees. Coldest reception. Staff are rude and unprofessional. One female life guard left a door to swing in my 3 year old face. After having people waiting to check on over a hour late, some Muppet (staff leading kiddies activity) decided to get mouthy and rude with people queuing up.

Health & Safety Risk
I do not understand why this facility is still open, it is a health and safety risk, rusty and damaged equipment where kids play.

The facilities, rooms, bathroom etc, nothing like what's on the website, the pictures on website are misleading.

Worse holiday ever."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of July 2016

Appalling for the disabled

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2016

"I booked my holiday with Pontins Camber Sands in February 2016, for a half-board, two bedrooms (Twin and double rooms) with wheelchair access for 7 nights (Saturday 9th July 2016 to the Saturday 16th July 2016) for four people.
Upon arrival, I collected my key and was told I was in chalet 665. Dragging my heavy suitcase alongside me in the wheelchair, I arrived at my chalet and found that the entrance to my chalet had a very narrow door and a step at least a foot or two high – definitely not accessible for an electric wheelchair! The neighbor in the chalet next to me phoned reception or maintenance (whatever number is on the key) and was told I would need to go back up to reception. The neighbors put my suitcase in the chalet, as I didn’t want to drag it all the way back with me again, because I was very tired.
I made my way back to reception and was told that there were no disabled chalets available, as they were all booked out before I booked mine. However, they did mention that a wheelchair accessible chalet may become available on Monday. Management then started running around trying to find a suitable chalet for me. Shortly after, they managed to find me a chalet (chalet number: 213) however again it was still a narrow entrance and not accessible for a wheelchair. Then, maintenance brought along a metal ramp for me to gain entrance into the property, however, this didn’t work. Maintenance then decided to get a wooden ramp and screw the metal one to the wooden one to give me a better run so that I could get in and out of the chalet easily and also so that I didn’t hurt myself again (I hurt my arm coming out from the property). I was able to get into the chalet, however because the wooden ramp was just short of height of the step, my wheelchair had to still get over the step and the dip that was on the other side and through the narrow door. Maintenance then put two pieces of wood (at least 1x1 size) under the wooden ramp to raise it so I didn’t have to roll over the step. Although this helped, I still had the problem of the narrow doors and I still had the problem of not being able to leave my chalet because the step was also on the other side of the door. Maintenance even offered to put a ramp the other side of the door for me so I could get in and out easily, however it meant that I would not have been able to shut the front door. Now whilst it may seem that some of the complications have been sorted, maintenance still found that to enter the property, I had to go up a hill, onto the metal ramp to get onto the wooden ramp just to get in, and vice versa to get out, so they put another ramp on to create a bridge on the hill. In conclusion, the ramp that was built for me was generally unsafe for me to use as it kept moving every time I went on it as me in my wheelchair weigh quite a lot together and also because when I did leave the chalet to go out, I had to wheel myself back up the ramp just to shut the door, and then come off of it again backwards, which terrified the life out of me, as I had no idea where I was going, and also because I was scared I would fall of the ramp. With this in mind, a man in maintenance gave me a number to ring so that every time I left my chalet, he would come along and shut the door for me and support me; however he made a comment stating that “You should have a carer with you”. I am an independent person, and if there wasn’t a mistake made on my booking application and I had a wheelchair accessible chalet to begin with, I wouldn’t have needed a carer with me. Whether he said this in a good or bad manner, I am unsure; however I still took offense to what he said. Anyway, a couple of hours later, I rung him to ask for his help, but there was no answer. I tried again about an hour or so later, but there was still no answer. I managed to get myself out alone, and a friendly neighbor came over to shut my door for me. I was passing reception, so I asked if they knew where he was or maybe why I couldn’t get a hold of him, and they told me that his phone was on charge in the office, and that he was out on duty.
On Monday, after having breakfast in the restaurant, I went to ask reception on any updates. The young man who served me radioed trough to the accommodation manger asking if there were any wheelchair accessible chalets available, and he was told that there weren’t and that they were all booked out. By this point, I am upset and very annoyed by all the problems I had incurred on this holiday. I then left the site for the day, as I needed to calm down. When I returned, I went to the restaurant to have my dinner, when the head of accommodation found me. She told me she found accommodation for me, however it wasn’t disabled. What it did have was a lower step, but I still needed a ramp. Maintenance came along and took the metal ramp from outside my old chalet and took it to the new one for me to use. Whilst it was a lot easier getting in and out of the chalet, I still had the problem of the narrow doors, and the ramp still moved, making me feel uneasy about using it. So maintenance and accommodation had a little talk, and come up with the conclusion that I needed a disabled chalet, which happened to be right next door to me (Chalet 139). I was told that chalet 139 needed to be cleaned for me, so I thought I would return to my old chalet and start packing up my stuff ready to be moved to the new chalet, however because the ramp had been dismantled, I could no longer get in to get my belongings. So, the woman in accommodation told me to go out for a couple of hours, so that they could sort my chalet out for me. When I came back, they took me back to my old chalet and packed my belongings for me, as I couldn’t get in. Finally, I managed to get settled into the wheelchair accessible chalet 139.
Tuesday morning, I decided that I wanted a shower (which is a wet room). After my shower I realized that I had flooded the entire bathroom and living room! I tried to dry it up with the 3 tea towels that I brought with me, but that wasn’t enough for the amount of water that was in there. I went up to reception and put a report in about the flooding to a young lady at about 9am, then again to the same lady at 3.30pm and the again for the third time to the same lady around 5pm. However, this time when I complained as nothing was done about the flooding (even though maintenance kept saying that they have dealt with the flooding) a person in maintenance said to the lady on the radio “What the f**k does she expect? It’s a wet room, it’s meant to get wet”. The lady then turned the radio down after she figured that I heard the comment he made and refused to tell me who made it. So I returned to my room, to see if it had been cleaned up, and surprise surprise, there was still a massive puddle in the living room. I went back to the reception to complain yet again, however it was closed. So I went looking for other members of staff. I couldn’t find anyone, except a young man who was working in the dining area. I asked him for a manager, and he replied saying he was one. I explained everything to him, also showing him the pictures of the flooded room. He radioed through to maintenance asking them if they could clean it, only to also be told that I was already done. He then advised that I go back to the room to see if it had been done, and again, there was still a massive pool of water in the living room. So, I went back to the same guy, and he went out the back very angrily to do something (I am unsure as to what he was doing) then he came back out and told me that if they haven’t cleaned it up already, he would personally do it himself. After a couple of hours, I went back and they finally managed to mop up some water. However, as I was getting some night clothes out of my suitcase that was on the sofa, the thing collapsed on me, which meant once again I had to go back up to reception the next morning to report it. Thankfully, I only had to report it the once as they fixed it pretty quick.
Overall, I am disgusted with how I was treated. I will not be returning until Pontins Camber Sands understands the concept of being disabled, and also when they build more than three chalets that are exclusively for disabled people. I also hope that they fix the lift that was broken whilst I was there, as most of the entertainment was upstairs, which I unfortunately missed much of.

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of July 2016

Not the pontins of old

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2016

"Dirty toilet in room rusty broken cooker windows filthy site in general dirty. Food establishments closed and only food available pre-cooked microwave crap and very expensive. Staff were miserable and unhelpful, nothing was open or working we were told due to lack of people would be open at weekend.swimming pools were unclean with dirty old floats left floating about. Food in sands restaurant was cold some of our party had upset stomachs as glasses and plates were dirty and tables not cleared. Amusements were mostly broken and staff less than helpful with giving money back. Site was noisy to the extreme at night and no on site security to sort it out. Overall campsite looks like an old prison where has refurbishment taken place because we didn't see it?"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2016

Reviewed Thu 28th of July 2016

"Wish we had read the reviews before we booked , we took our three grandchildren for a three day break, we had already upgraded to club class all I can say is the room was filthy dirty with smelly pillows and duvets one of the duvets has poo all over it which was changed by which time I had already had enough we ended up staying two nights and that was all we could take. I understand that things do get old and look a bit worn out but there is no excuse for dirty rooms . If anybody is thinking of booking all we can say is DON'T"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of July 2016

DISGUSTING

Reviewed Wed 6th of July 2016

"Filthy, unclean, smelly stained rooms that I wouldn't keep a rat in. Seriously was that disgusting! The shower didn't work. You could be scalded or frozen but nothing in between. I can't describe how bad this was."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2016

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2016

"I am flabbergasted that Pontins at Camber Sands is allowed to stay open. I do not understand how it passes any Health and Safety checks. We arrived to a flooded floor, broken cracked and filthy widows ,with names drawn in the dirt. Bloody mattress,a broom full of dust and entangled long hair,chipped cups and a microwave with bare wires showing. It hadn't been cleaned in a long time. I wouldn't waste my time and money going there."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of June 2016

worst holiday i've ever taken!

Reviewed Thu 16th of June 2016

"We booked this through the sun holidays and it was our 3rd choice as a destination, I read the reviews online and to say I was worried about the accommodation was an understatement. I rang the helpline and said id read the reviews and asked if I could upgrade to better accommodation the advisor didn't even acknowledge what id said about the reviews. she offered me several options and I chose to upgrade to the club apartments (their best) for an extra £75 for the 3 nights.so in total I ended up paying £180 Friday til Monday . When we arrived at the chalet to say we were disappointed is an understatement, it was filthy everywhere id taken disinfectant wipes just in case and I needed the whole pack, the cooker was rusty, the worktops were loose so couldn't put anything on them the curtains hung down so couldn't fasten them and the shower barely trickled cold water, to have a shower we went swimming everyday and used the shower cubicle there. On looking round the park for things to do the Crocs driving school had 1 bike that kept breaking down and there was clearly no need for the no bumping signs and this you had to pay for, the park round near the Queen Victoria pub was really good but the crazy golf and inflatables again were all to be paid for. there was a milkshake shack that was open on the Friday when we arrived and then remained closed the rest of the time, the ice cream shack was open on the Saturday with very limited stock and closed on the Sunday the hottest day of the weekend. there were parks closed off saying under refurbishment surely this would be done during closed season, the arcade had a section of it that was closed and the machines that was open rarely took your money my little girl went on the little wheel in there and it didn't move we found an assistant who said you have to shake it to get it going by which time she had 10 seconds on it before the money ran out and the assistant walked off. the restaurant was a fixed price but it was like a run down school canteen and you were lucky to get what you wanted from the menu as they were always out of stock. the pizza place and chip shop only opens at night which leaves you very limited to what you can have. the children's entertainment was limited and the blue coat jay can be quite close to the knuckle with his comments although he is the manager of entertainment so don't expect to get anywhere with him, it was repetitive and not very exciting on the Saturday night there was a private function in Lunars so no kids stuff until 8pm in the fun factory unless the kids like a game of bingo, took them outside for the inflatables and trampolines but they were closing. on the day of checkout we went for a photo with Croc in the foyer (jay dressed up) just before us a family went up for their pic and he held the eldest girl about 12 around the neck, after the pic he held her tighter and she was saying let me go please he just squeezed more to the point she was crying when she wriggled free he just laughed. that is not someone who should be working with kids. I have written to the park about all my concerns and the best they can do is offer me 50% discount off my next stay and like it says in my title you couldn't pay me to stay again. camber sands is a fantastic place to visit the beach is amazing just steer clear of Pontins.

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2016

Is it as bad as reviews saying?

Reviewed Thu 16th of June 2016

"After reading these reviews I'm rather terrified of going..I'm booked in apartment p1?anyone stayed there? 4 of us got from 20th June to the Friday please help."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2016

avoid

Reviewed Wed 22nd of June 2016

"the place is dirty run down,staff unhelpful,reception a joke,parking limit and if you are a blue badge holder only 6 space just park where you can,kids go carts only one working,crocs driving carts none,swimming pool no better two showers for all,old Victorian pub may as well have been closed one bar staff waiting 40mins to be served,you cannot tea,coffee in the restaurant,the manager must be a ghost never there told walking around the camp,a total shambles ,so kewe was promised loads over the phone payed full,so keep your money and go elsewhere ,best thing about camber sands is the way out."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2016

Terrible

Reviewed Wed 22nd of June 2016

"Firstly it is extremely unorganized. Arrived at 4pm got keys at 5.15 after 45mins Que.
Secondly got to the apartment and it was dirty. Lots of ants and dust. Iv got a 4month old baby and asked for a Cot bed which was dirty and smelly so he slept in his carry cot.
Food on site is horrible. Was like a school canteen. Wasn't even adult portions. Pizza place in the Queen Victoria was a joke Waited over an hour for a pizza which was £9 then cancelled it as they still hadn't started to cook it. my son was so hungry.
The Leisure facilities- not everything was open for the kids. My sons tried to go on the go karts and was told they wasn't tall enough then I went over there and there was children getting off smaller.
5. Staff- rude and unhelpful.
Wouldn't come back "

• Travel date: Wed 1st of June 2016

Avoid

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2016

"Avoid at all cost....dirty ..food not great...but the biggest problem with the is place is the staff...they all need a quite a few lessons in CUSTOMER care which is non existent..there security staff staff are awful....there women security guards are ...the only word is...mental.......highlight of the weekend...leaving....there are plenty of good holiday parks to spend your hard earned money on....this isn't one of them....Avoid at all cost..........."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2016