Great place to stay

Reviewed 18th May 2015

"Its a good location right on the sea front, the service couldn't have been better, we had the room we had asked for which some other hotels haven't done, the room its self was very clean and well presented we were looking over the sea, it is close to the pier which was good as I can't walk very well. For us there was no dislikes we liked everything about the hotel especially the cleanliness of it. If anyone wants a friendly hotel which the staff will do anything to help you must stop in the Lanes we know we will be going back there again."

• Travel date: 18th May 2015

Good hotel, great location, just perfect.

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"My partner and I went to Brighton without making a booking and checked prices of many hotels along the seafront and found them all to be about the same sort of price for a double for 2 nights was approx £250+ (and this was without a seaview). We then came across Lanes and were pleased to find it was a lot cheaper. After viewing 3 different rooms, one at the back and one on the side of the hotel. we opted for the sea front view and would recomend this all the time as the balcony is a valuable addition and you have a great view of the Pier. We paid £100 for the Friday & £130 for the saturday and it was worth every penny, if you want cheaper then dont go for a seaview room and expect to pay approx £190 for a double. (they will budge on the original book prices) Breakfast was inculded and even so the carpark has limited space if you can get your car in there you save on car parking fees also. Staff are all wonderful and extremely helpful, breakfast was perfect. It has a hotel bar that is open until 12 on the friday and 2am on the saturday. The location is superb very close to everything. I would stay there again and again."

• Travel date: 29th July 2007

An excellent place to stay

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"We were lucky to get a room at the Lanes, as most of the rooms in the city were booked for a convention, and on weekends, most hotels mandate that you book for two nights minimum, and we were only staying one night. A further hurdle: I was traveling with my two teenage daughters, and we needed a triple (they're relatively rare). We booked with the travel information center near the Pavilion, and were grateful to get a room of any kind. The Lanes exceeded all expectations. We had a huge, lovely room at the top of the hotel, with a view of the seafront and pier out the front window, and a reassuring view of the fire escape and the surrounding rooftops out the back. The furnishings were far from new, but the room was clean and quaint, and my daughters loved it. Mercifully, there was a lift, so it was easy to manage my older daughter's luggage (she was about to begin a course of study in London, and had pretty much packed her entire life into one enormous case). The staff were extremely helpful. I had to return my rental car that evening (before we took the train up to London) and they gave me detailed directions about how to get to the Hertz office. We felt that they really wanted us to have a pleasant stay, and that they had a real fondness for both the property and the city. I appreciated their courtesy and their appearance -- they wore uniforms, which one doesn't often see in small hotels these days. Breakfast was quite nice, served in a room that has no doubt seen a good deal of history. I will certainly recommend the Lanes to friends or relatives who may be traveling to Brighton, and I hope to have the opportunity to stay there again myself."

• Travel date: 21st July 2007

Worst Hotel - Don't Book

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Unsafe. Iron plug exploded. We came on 5/05/2007(Bank Holiday Weekend) and booked for 1 night. The gave us a small room(only one available) which had a fire exit. Three of the lights did not work. The hot water came in dribbles. They had a press iron which had no plug. We called reception and they apologised and gave us an iron. I started ironing and the iron plug blew up(literally). We asked to leave, which they accepted returning our money. Room looked dirty. It was a horrible experience. They did not apologise."

• Travel date: 9th May 2007

Quite expensive, but ok!

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"My friend booked this hotel as they had one night availability on a Sat (nearly all do minimum 2 nights?). On booking we were told the car parks were a few minutes walk away, which was actually a good 15 minute walk uphill with quite heavy bags (threw everything in in a hurry including bottle of gin & bottle of tonic!) so not best pleased with this advice, when could have parked outside on the meters!! Room was ok, more B&B than hotel, sea view, £130 for a double (booked a twin, but ended up in a double?) don't think it was worth it! Clean and tidy rooms, bit shabby & let down by small things like only 1 cup with the kettle/tea/coffee! Very cramped ensuite, toilet didn't flush properly, taking 10 goes to finally flush! Shower no problems with temperature. Down to the bar for a quick G&T,no lime, no lemon! Luckily had come fully prepared & went up to the room and & got a lemon! Friendly reception/barman did apologise & did give us with 2 pint glasses full of ice later on for G&T's in our room. Breakfast service terrible, too busy, v.young staff ignoring us, but b/fast quite good when eventually got it."

• Travel date: 30th April 2007

weekend break

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We have just returned from a weekend in brighton and stayed at the lanes hotel. The location was good, right on the seafront and a 5 minute walk to the pier. The hotel was clean although there was a faint odour of cigarettes in our room. The staff were very friendly and there was a nice bar area. We would stay here again."

• Travel date: 4th March 2007

Great Location

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"We recently stayed at The Lanes in Brighton, is a great location with a view of the pier from some rooms. Friendly staff were very accomodating upon checkin and as we had a 12 month old baby, cot was supplied and very clean, Cosy room, great breakfast, parking is very tight off street, best to check in early to get a spot."

• Travel date: 4th January 2007

OK but not great, nice staff

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"I stayed hear in desperate need of a good night sleep and hot bath. The bedroom was hot, and very noisy from the traffic, although a nice view of the pier. The room was a little tatty. In the morning there was no hot water, when I asked for a discount due to the lack of hot water the staff said they were not authorised to give a discount, however if I left my name and address they would get back to me. The staff were friendly but unable to help, beyond suggesting I stay later to wait for the hot water (I was due at a wedding) It was ok, I wouldnt stay again."

• Travel date: 20th December 2006

I would recommend this hotel to anyone

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"I really enjoyed my stay at The Lanes. The room was small, but clean, from the window I could see the Brighton Pier. The Breakfast was good, but what made the stay special was the great staff. I have stayed in many hotels, but never been treated to such good, friendly service. The evening drink in The Noel Coward Suite was very pleasant also. This hotel is recommended by the locals and by me. Pat Kalancha"

• Travel date: 26th October 2006

perfect for a weekend with the girls

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"stayed at the lanes on aug 25th for 2 nights. my 4th stay at this small, cosy hotel. the staff here are lovely. i have never yet met any staff there who do not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. breakfast is a must. a great full english. this hotel welcomes group bookings. prices are very resonable, including the bar. thank you 'the lanes', see you next year."

• Travel date: 27th August 2006

lovely little place

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"very nice hotel. staff very friendly. unfortunately no draught beer in the bar, only bottles. breakfast one of the best we've ever had in a hotel, we stayed in the family room. nice large room with 2 double beds."

• Travel date: 22nd April 2006