Good
( 1994 reviews)
Good

Awful In Every Way...!!!!

Reviewed Wed 18th of February 2015

"There are 100 better places to stay in Brighton...please try them first..
(We booked a weekend package, 2 breakfast and evening meal.)
Full payment is taken on arrival, read on and you will realize why...!
The rooms are like IKEA displays without the accessories, basic. The Balcony has only one chair..?..the rooms are shabby, and the General Manager explains this and justifies taking your hard earned money by saying that this is the time of year that they revamp each room (see previous comments left by him)..
The breakfast Saturday morning was awful, the continental had not been replenished, when we went down at 10 it looked dry and had virtually gone, had to ask for O/J to be refilled. The Full English tasted as if it had sat in overcooked oil, i couldn't cut sausage, hubby eats anything, but he said it was one of the worst breakfasts he had ever had.
As part of the package we had a table booked in the restaurant for the Saturday eve.Restaurant only had 2 other couples in there at 9pm on a Saturday night.BEWARE as the package details online are quite ambiguous..no drinks incl..up to £17.50 pp..and you CAN'T order from A La Cart menu and sheet menu you are given( Informed by the restaurant manager when i tried to do that). I ordered Brie, that came out room temp,rubbery and inedible, no offer of replacement when i complained, in fact the manager was quite snooty. I ordered cod, thinking it would be fresh (it was frozen!) and my husband ordered the burger, thinking that was a safe option..his burger came out raw!..my chips were hard and cold. We complained, and the manager was very unhelpful, i was in tears by now, this was supposed to be a treat for my husband, and for the first time ever, i walked out of the restaurant.
The hotel is clean but the rooms are noisy, can hear room next door.
The Birds must nest somewhere in the hotel complex and the noise is horrendous in the early hours of the morning.
Chef should hang his head in shame with the standard of food that came out of his kitchen.
Always get refund whilst still at hotel, in fact stand in front of receptionist and don't move until you get it...
Much better restaurants a minute away
The bar has no atmosphere.

• Travel date: Mon 16th of February 2015

Good, but flawed in places

Reviewed Mon 31st of December 2012

"The Seattle is in an excellent location - if your room is sea facing, otherwise it faces Asda, a car park and has a noisy nightclub underneath it for inland facing rooms.

The ambience and service is fine, although at times I had to ask reception two or three times for the same thing.

Food and drink are mostly good. Problems were things like the veggie meze which was supposed to come with goats cheese - everyting else was there on the plate, but there must have been less than quarter of a teaspoon of goats cheese. Why? I've no idea.

Breakfast is not as good as the cooked breakfast that used to be served previously at this hotel and other Alias hotels. It has been reduced to a buffet.

The one thing that really gets me though is the in room TV/stereo, which is the cheapest, nastiest little Matsui TV with internal DVD player. I've heard that even places like Butlins now have large flat screen TVs in their rooms, so why can't an expensive stylish boutique hotel do so too? The screen is too small to view from the comfort of bed and the sound is terrible. The management really should sort this out pronto - its not what you expect when paying such a high rate in a fine hotel!

The bathrooms are good. Parking is free in the nearby multi storey car park.

Overall, I recommend the hotel, but wish the shortcomings would get sorted. We're staying there again soon, and I feel like taking my own goats cheese and TV along just in case."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of December 2007

Sleepless in Seattle

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We booked this hotel very last minute as we could not find anywhere else to stay, in hind site, it may have been better to stay at home.

We arrived at the Seattle hotel and were somewhat shocked to find that the entrance to the hotel is nestled between a series of very low grade restaurants and shops. On entering the reception, after having worked out where it was, we were greeted by various young people dressed in jeans sitting behind a glass table, they rather looked like they were not really meant to be there, but were perhaps helping out due to a lack of staff or were maybe on work experience.

We had booked two interconnecting rooms, a king size room and a twin for our children. The rooms were OK, the TV's are pathetically small and there is no hint of luxury, although I have stayed in much more expsenive hotels and had worse rooms.
Our room stank of cigarette smoke (rather odd considering the new non-smoking law), but they had a good view of the harbour.

The fire alarm went off in the afternoon and scared the children, but we got over it. At 2.00am in the morning the fire alarm went off again and woke everyone up, apprarently it was not the hotel but someone else. The dreaded and much talked about night club was playing music and evidently had forgotten to turn it off and gone home for the night. We lay awake for the rest of the night, the music was turned off at 7.00am. We had a quick nap in the morning and then went down to Reception to complain, the girl who dealt with our complaint basically was not in the slightest bit interested and had abosultely no intention of dealing with us with anything but contempt. We then took oursellves to breakfast where we were treated to freezing cold, but cremated so called "danish pastries", it rather felt like we were being complete pains by turning up for breakfast in the first place. We did not eat in the reastaurant for dinner as we decided if this was how they do breakfast then what can the rest of the food possibly be like.

Our rooms were serviced for us, although we were given clean sheets, the children were not, even though we were paying exactly the same amount for them. We did stay for the second night which we had booked, but really only because we did not have the energy to find somewhere else to stay. We did manage to sleep and the Manager did apologise in the morning for the inconvenience the night before.

I genuinely believe that this hotel is seriously hampered by its surroundings, but the attitude of the staff is something I have never experienced before and would not want to experience again. I think this hotel is simply trying to be something it does not have the knowledge or ability to pull off."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

Great place

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Stayed here 4 nights over the bank holiday. Had a great time. Staff friendly. Room was huge, had great views of the marina. Food in cafe paradiso was lovely. Would go back again for a visit."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

Basic hotel hugely overpriced. No value for money at all!!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Upgraded to sea view room. Room was very small. They went for the chic look but overall it looked like Ikea had furnished it. NO AIRCON!!!!! Shared terrace so could not leave door or windows open therefore the room was always too hot. Restaurant menu was severley limited! Cocktail bar was fab though!!! Apart from that only other plus point was the location. Could not reccommend! Will not stay there again!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Great stay at the Seattle in Brighton....

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the Seattle Hotel in Brighton over the weekend 11th & 12th May. When I made the booking the reservation lady was great and very friendly, I was booking for my partners birthday and she had some good ideas of things for us to do over the weekend.

Having had a rather frantic trip down to Brighton from London on a Friday afternoon (never a good time on the M23!!) we were greeted warmly by the friendly reception staff who immediately made us feel at home. Our room overlooked the marina and after several minutes of sea air we felt as if we were on holiday!

We ate both nights in the hotels restaurant and the food was of a really high standard. There was plenty of varied choice on both evenings and the restaurant manager and his staff looked after us brilliantly, I didn't have to touch the wine bottle once to refill my glass!

The hotel bar was also lovely and it was a great place to enjoy a couple of cocktails (or three..)

The rooms were also lovely and after waking up late, we lounged around our room in the fluffy robes provided until we could drag ourselves down to breakfast. Breakfast both mornings was superb. So often hotels let themselves down with the breakfast but here it was spot on. The breakfast staff were friendly and helpful (which is often not the case!) and the breakfast itself was excellent with a wide variety of choice. Just the thing to start the day and cure a hangover.

Check out on the Sunday morning was busy but the girl had time to ask how we had enjoyed our stay and was again friendly and efficient.

I was a little concerned about some of the previous reviews I had read about the Seattle but I need not have worried. I would certainly
recommend this hotel however perhaps next time booking a room with sea views. We shall certainly return very soon."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

Lost cause

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"This hotel has lovely contemporary rooms and is in a stunning location, witha seaview room on a sunny day you could be in the South of France overlooking the yachts in the marina
However at the moment the management have forgotten that customer care is important. It is not cheap but all the personal touches are disappearing including the towelling robes. Last time we stayed we had the neighbours from hell About twelve teenagers partied all night and banged doors until 9am by which time we had given up all hope of rest. This time we were offered a free meal in the hotel restaurant as compensation but the service and food was dreadful The main problem is that nobody seems to care All they want is your money!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of May 2007

First class service

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"A thoroughly enjoyable stay from start to finish. The stylish decor does justice to the picturesque setting provided by the Brighton Marina. First class service in a low-key way which extended not only to catering for the needs of my wife and I, but for those of our 2 young children also. The baby monitoring service allowed us to leave the children in the room whilst we enjoyed dinner in the hotel's restaurant. The meal proved to be the high point of the stay. Great local seafood, decent portions and classy, unfussy presentation. And the excellent cocktail bar deserves a mention too!"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of April 2007

Great atmosphere, large rooms. Lovely view.

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"I stayed here for one night on a business trip, we did obtain a good rate for the rooms and also a free upgrade - so my review is based on a cost of £100 per night (room only).

The hotel is unusual - it feels like walking into someone's living room at first! The design throughout is boat themed, with sweeping curves and airy spaces prevalent.

The room was large, clean and uncluttered. The view onto the marina great and overall feel very relaxed.

The bed was enormous and very comfortable and bathroom clean and well appointed.

It helped considerably that the weather was good and this allowed one to enjoy the balcony and outside bars to the full.

The only fault I could find was lack of air conditioning. The Marina can get noisy early on (from about 5.45 am) so leaving your windows open will not be ideal in the summer.

An excellent, relaxing, slightly different, hotel. Recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007

Very Relaxed Atmosphere

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Stayed in this hotel, this weekend (23rd March) having been here before.

I really like this hotel and the location. The weather was typical English, rain one minute and sun the next, however the hotel offers a nice relaxing atmosphere.

Looked at the prices for a standard room on Late Rooms and they were advertising the price as £85. I called the hotel direct to see what price they were offering and they quoted me £110. I explained that I might as well book it with late rooms and immediately they offered me the room for £85. A bit cheeky really. The prices should be the same, I think.

Anyway, check in was seemless and I booked an inland room as we did not intend to be there for very long anyway. If the weather was better and you were there for a few days, it would probably be better to book a seaview as they are really nice. It looks across the marina and is pleasent.

The rooms here are nice and quite funky. As said, the atmosphere is relaxed and 'chilled out'. I like that and knew what to expect.

They are very clean, minimal, but the bathroom is lovely with a great big shower head to give you a proper soaking.

There is plenty to do in the marina. So much so, you dont even need to go into town if you don't want to.

Save your money and go to the bars and restaurants near the hotel. There are late night spots next door, a nice trendy bar and fabulous fish restaurant where we ate. Be warned though, it is quite expensive. For cheap drink, go to the Weatherspoons which is only a couple of mins away, then go to the bars.

The hotel has a late night cocktail bar which is really nice. Didn't try breakfast so can't comment.

In summary, a nice friendly place to stay. A bit pricey so shop a round for room deals. Summer, or a few days stay ask for a sea view. Check the Weatherspoons out and try the fish restaurant next to Frankie and Bennys."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Mostly fine....

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"A group of us stayed at the Seattle for the New Year weekend. I was a little concerned having hear the complaints about the noise thinking that surely it would be worse than ever at New Year! Anyway, as a result we booked an inland facing room to try to escape some of the marina noise.
We also paid a bit extra for a bigger room and I’m glad we did – our friends booked into a standard room and it was very small. Ours was huge, with a lovely comfy bed and very well fitted bathroom.
Our main complaint would be that it was absolutely boiling in our room. We switched off all the heating as soon as we got there and opened the window (it was blowing a gale so thought that would get some cool air in). When we went to bed on the first night, we started off with the window open but found we couldn’t sleep because of the noise of people leaving bars etc. So we shut the window then couldn’t sleep because we were so hot. All the rest of our party agreed that the temperature was ridiculous.
Café Paradiso serve delicious food, and the setting is great – huge top to bottom windows giving you a great view over the marina. The staff were all fabulous too, apart from perhaps our receptionist who seemed to get a bit confused and told each couple something different about how much they had to ‘block off’ on their credit card for ‘extras’.
Overall, I would say that if you were going to stay here, upgrade if you can to a room with air con – that way you can stay cool and not be disturbed by people shouting at each other as they leave pubs in the evening. Would certainly recommend the restaurant even if you’re not staying at the hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of January 2007

A bit choppy!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"A bit choppy! I can never recall which film that's from in which Angela Lansbury sways from side to side, readjusts her immaculate hair and recovers from the sudden sideways shift with unmistakable glamour and dexterity. And where was she? Was she on a train, a boat or a plane? Well, much the same can be said for this quaint hideaway in Brighton's Marina. And yes, it is a hideaway. Whilst the long barren entrance resembles a makeshift supermarket entrance, mainly brick and glass from what I remember, the hotel reception, via a lift, is open yet still as barren, if not for the delightful staff bending over efficiently with hideous ergonomics over an elongated reception desk which may also have served as a piece of art, the desk, that is, not the staff. And I recall splashes of colour but really could not swear now which primaries we were privy to at the time. Away from the reception area are the rooms, found simply by way of a long white clinical walkway, cabin effect to be precise. Maybe we were on a boat after all? Once inside our weekend room, small was the word du jour but pleasantly so. One must not be greedy especially with those wonderful views of the Marina, the expensive fittings and the unforgiving sea complete with wave after wave of everything not 'man made'. You really do pay for the view which, after sunset, is even worth a healthy tip. Breakfast was plentiful but a little cold, the bar was bountiful and easily found. The howling wind was everywhere, from the air ducts to the water pipes but married with the brisk sea air, it was not too much to make you stay awake at night listening to that and that alone. The only real drawback was my lasting, though very unexpected, impression of Angela Lansbury upon opening the large french windows to browse on the balcony, wherein my very first encounter of the howling wind almost ravished the entire glass pane from my grip. I quickly readjusted my hair, swayed from side to side and recovered from my sideways shift. And I'm a guy! Now, that really was a bit choppy! 8 out of 10 for the view and the hotel staff."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of December 2006