Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

Food poisoning

Reviewed Tue 1st of November 2011

"stayed at the thistle hotel for a weekend break with a group of 10 friends.I suffered extremely bad food poisoning on my return home from the weekend stay at this hotel,a few hours after eating breakfast here. within the group so far 3 of the others have also reported food poisoning. "

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2011

Excellent service and staff

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This hotel offered brilliant value for money.felt like a king for the weekend whilst on holiday from S.A.The rooms were spacious and had the best panoramic views of the english channel.Thank you to Martin and his team for a great vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of March 2006

Over priced

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Great staff and very helpful. rooms are average and facilities are not amazing. great lobby but fell down in the rooms (toilet didnt work AT ALL! and rooms have thin walls)"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of February 2006

Brighton Thistle - Great location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Brighton Thistle is in a wonderfull position,with a hugely impressive lobby which extends to what seem like to the sky - and had prime beachfront location.Apart from that ,and the fact everything is on your doorstep,we were not blown away with the room.
Having stayed in numerious 4 stars hotels ,I don,t think the rooms had anything to boast about,especially at the prices charged.
i think the staff were very pleasant - and it is a pleasant hotel.However i,m sure there are special hotels in Brighton,but not with this one.It was easily forgettable,but perfectly adequate."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of February 2006

Staff were all delightful

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Needed a weekend away with the family and I must say that the tripadvisor reviews of hotels in Brighton are almost universally damning. But these sounded different and promised family-size rooms so we went for it.

Not the cheapest, but delivered on all necessary fronts.
Firstly, must say, staff were universally delightful, friendly, engaging, quick to respond when we needed feather-free pillows.
A large room with sea view, 2 large beds (for myself, my wife and children aged 3 and 6) were just right. Breakfast was beyond our budget, but there was plenty of choice a block away from the hotel.
We enjoyed Brighton enormously, even though it poured on the Sunday, and on that note, be warned: the main museums don't open until 2 on Sundays! Oh well, we'll just have to go again."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of February 2006

Fantastic staff!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We went on a weekend to the hotel to get away from the stress and pressure of work. We got what we wanted right from the start. The staff were extremely friendly from the point of entering the hotel. Check in was quite fast and efficient and the room I stayed in had a beautiful view of the sea. I also got a call from guest relations inquiring about my stay and whether there was anything I wanted. The food I ordered through room service was very nice.
I would certainly stay in this hotel again, as I have stay in other hotels, and for the price I payed this hotel is no doubt one of the best i have stayed in."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of February 2006

Not THAT bad...

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I have stayed at the Thistle several times on business trips and this month I also arranged a conference there. I have mixed feelings about the Thistle but I don't think it deserves the earlier bad reviews.

I had a sea view room which was lovely, beautiful view and a very clean room. It was also very cold and I couldn't get the heating to work properly.

The mini bar was empty and I asked for it to be stocked as per the guest services, but the girl on housekeeping told me I could only buy drinks up front. I ordered a couple of diet cokes and bottles of water but they arrived already opened rather than for me to put in the mini bar. I don't think it should be too much to expect for a hotel to supply bottled water in the rooms.

I ordered room service a couple of times and it was slightly annoying that they have people on the phones whose first language is not English and have trouble understanding a food order. However the food arrived promptly and was very nice.

Breakfast is good too with a very wide choice.

The gym and pool are tiny but clean.

The only other problem was the temperature of the hotel - on the first day it was so cold that some of the people in my meeting had blue hands, and everyone was wearing coats and scarves! Nothing was done despite me complaining several times during the day. The heating problem was sorted for the rest of the week but the foyer and atrium were like a sauna - very uncomfortable!

On a positive note, the staff are extremely polite and helpful, they can't do enough for you and even if sometimes the end result isn't always as expected you can't fault them for their enthusiasm."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of January 2006

This hotel is fine

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Well I was worried about going to stay here because I only read the reviews once I had already made my reservation to stay for one night. So I went with an open mind and was pleased to find that the hotel really IS NOT as bad as the last reviews make it out to be. The staff were friendly, the hotel was clean, our room was a good size, clean & comfortable, the air conditioning worked, and there was no noise that disturbed us. The only thing I did notice and pulled a little face at, was the slight damp smell on the 4th floor landing. The health suite was clean and the staff there were helpful. The hotel is in a great location for the seafront, and also for shopping. One thing to bear in mind is that there is no free parking at the hotel, you have to use the public car park underneath the hotel and this is expensive at £15 per 24 hours."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

children can't use pool

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"This hotel is ok, nothing fantastic but one of the main reasons for staying was to make use of pool. However children have to be supervised on the pool on a ratio of one adult to one child under five and one to two under sixteen. This meant I could not take both my four year old and nine year old swimming together so could not use the pool.

This is not advertised when you book and angered many other families staying at half term.

Effectively you cannot swim with more than one child if one is under five, unless there are two adults accompanying them in the pool and with more than two under sixteen.

This rule does not apply to any of the other hotels in Brighton, so if you are planning to make use of the pool with children I'd adivsse to book one of the other hotels."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of January 2006

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in ... by far!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My friend and I decided to stay in Brighton for the weekend, for her birthday. First impressions were bad - the staff were too young to see over the counter and clearly inexperienced, there were displays of ornaments that wouldn't look out of place in an arcade, and we were given a room that absolutely reeked of smoke (I am a smoker, and even I could not stay in a room like that).
We complained, and were offered an alternative only once I threatened to cancel the booking.
In hindsight, I wish I had simply cancelled.
This hotel is vile - no amenities to speak of, not clean, and in desperate need of refurbishment.

Don't stay there under any circumstances, there are plenty of B & Bs that are far superior."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of December 2005