Huge bed, seaview, pricey

Reviewed Tue 19th of July 2016

"We took 2 nights there after originally booked place failed expectations, booked through Late Rooms
It was pricey for a room only (breakfast is extra) The bed was enormous and could have slept 3. Adequate clean bedding. Nice sea view (at least in this room).
Pity the windows were so dirty.
Curtains and decor very dated. Nice bathroom with all expected facilities.
At one point the lights failed, and we rang reception. (The phone had no directions on it) They fixed the lights but did not tell us they had. Service was generally courteous but not outstanding."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2016

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

Reviewed Thu 31st of March 2016

"So my girlfriend and I went to stay at this hotel for the weekend. We were told over the phone we could check in at 11am. Upon arrival I was told the room would not be ready and to come back later. I asked for a parking permit so we could park up and not have to worry. We had to pay £7 for a day permit (later finding out they are NOT supposed to sell these to guests).

The car was placed in a bay TOLD BY A MEMBER OF STAFF and later that day discovered I had a fine of £50. I went to the local council and nothing could be done to challenge the penalty. I spoke to the staff at the hotel and they were very abrupt, rude and said 'guests should be able to read the permit and find out themselves where they can and can't park'.

The bay we parked in was for 'pay by phone', we were supposed to park in a different section. We weren't told this by anyone and later found out there was a laminated sheet behind the reception which was supposed to be shown to customers, where the permits are valid. This we were not shown

The staff were rude, a constant noise could be heard all night from our room (some kind of generator), the room stank of cigarettes. Upon explaining the parking fine situation to a member of staff, they replied "don't worry about the ticket, don't pay it as it will only affect your credit rating!"

Absolutely disgusting, our whole weekend was ruined, and want everyone to know how bad this hotel is and feel this should be passed around. When we were due to go home, I asked at reception for a refund of some sort or a good will gesture for their mistake. The manager looked a me with a thick vacant stare and said nothing can be done. I feel insulted and gobsmacked at how bad the customer service was here.

As we were leaving, a guy had been issued a parking permit and was about to park in the same space we had done the previous night. I HAD TO WARN HIM, even after everything that had happened not one member of staff had the decency to let him know!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of March 2016

Poor Hotel

Reviewed Fri 17th of February 2012

"Stayed here the 9th February 2012, poor welcome at reception which should have been an indicator. Bitten twice during the night by bed bugs, radiator in room didn't work and the bed and sheets where like something from a cheap hostel in Bangladesh. Not cheap and shame on those websites that include in their searches, unless you are looking for a Bangladesh experience in Brighton."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2012

Nice Stay

Reviewed Mon 23rd of May 2011

"We've stayed there last week and we've enjoyed ourselfs very much.Beautiful weather,Brighton Festival in full swing. We had very nice sunny room,see view, close to the bars, coffee shops and all. The Staff was very helpful, we've been looked after by the manager all night. Very nice young lady. We'd be happy to come back to Hove soon and stay another few nights at the Imperial Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2011

PERFECT PLACE TO STAY

Reviewed Fri 7th of May 2010

"The staff are very welcoming and helpful from the minute you check in, the room was quiet and hotel location convenient for shops and buses."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of May 2010

Have stayed there at least 5 times and w...

Reviewed Sun 3rd of December 2006

"Have stayed there at least 5 times and would stay there again. Many hotels in Brighton won't let you book a room for a single night at the weekend, but the Imperial will.

Good service, pleasant rooms and a nice English breakfast. Only downsides are that it's not the cheapest hotel around (I paid £120 for a double room on a Saturday night last time) and the heating is usually kept a bit too warm for my taste.

The Imperial is in walking distance from the centre of Brighton and from Hove railway station, but I've found that taxis are cheap and plentiful anyway.

I've stayed in many Brighton hotels but this is one I keep going back to.

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

ok but over priced

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We booked this hotel after many of our other choices were either fully booked or only bookable for minimum 2 night stays. It cost us £95 for a double /en suite- more than many nicer b&bs we have stayed in before. The room was dark and small, and the double bed was old and in poor condition. The room had a small window over looking the fire escape! The bathroom was bigger than the room- it had a nice sunken bath and a separate carpeted dressing area. The bathroom was definately the best feature! We had breakfast included in the price, and it was ok. There was a selection of cereal and fruit, along with a cooked option. the service for breakfast was good. However the front desk service was very slow and the staff unhelpful. It took over 15 minutes to check in, and that was without any problems at all with our booking!
We will try not to stay here in future, but as a last option it wasn't too bad really."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

good one

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Friendly staff. Helpful at reception.
Room nice and clean and a good size for a (superior) single. Bed very comfortable and
bedding clean and fresh. Bathroom was clean with plenty towels etc. Breakfast was simple but ample and well cooked.
Only point was noise of sea gulls at night - which the hotel could not help!!
Floor boards in corridors were a bit creaky. Overall good value and good position, would recommend giving it a try."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of June 2006

Decent value - good position

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This is one of the few hotels that lets you stay one night at the weekend which was main reason for staying there. Room OK, clean and shower was good with hot water.

Breakfast incuded in the price and was very good - full english plus branded cerials etc

Drinks in bar not overpriced and there is also a plasma screen that shows Sky Sports etc

Staff were all friendly and helpful.

Only downside for me was that it was very hot in the corridors and reception which is not my preference.

You can also get parking vouchers from reception £2 per day that will enable you to park in Zone N

Good position near the front and you can walk into Brighton in about 20 minutes

Overall, good place to stay for a night out in Brighton"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Save your money!

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel on 8th April 2006 for one night in a double room. Another family member had a single room, which was OK. On arrival my room looked ok however went to use the shower and it was broken there was a small trickle of water from the taps and no hot water! The room was also very noisy could hear background noise and guests going back to rooms all night as doors very thin. Breakfast was poor I don’t know how the chef managed to mess up making toast, had to sit at a dirty table and staff gave me dirty cutlery. On check out lots of other guests complaining about lack of hot water with a receptionist response of everyone must have been using the water at the same time um yes it’s a hotel people will use the bathroom... hope there was hot water in the kitchen wouldn’t like to think about the hygiene in there! Got offered a discount of £25 when other guest offered £30 when I asked why this was different was told I only paid £100 for room (so did the other guest!). Got £30 discount when challenged manager however it was £70 badly spent. I will not be returning and do not recommend this hotel to anyone if you value a good night’s sleep and being able to have a wash! On a positive note do stay in this area if you enjoy walking it is a nice stroll into the town along the seafront from here."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of April 2006

Good value

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Despite the fact that there was a New Years Eve function until 4am my little non smoking room hidden away down a labrynth of corridors was possibly the quietest hotel room I have ever had! Double doors helped. It was spotlesly clean. Bed a bit narrow and 'doingy'sprung mattress. Breakfast really good for buffet-type thing,refreshed regularly. Very jolly atmosphere and free canapes in the evening. Staff very pleasant.Not exactly trendy decor..cosy and conventional, I'd call it. At checkout, a couple were complaining bitterly about their executive room, but despite trying to eavesdrop, I didn't catch what was wrong. Even so, they commented on leaving that the staff were very nice and that the evening function had been lovely. I was doubly pleased, as (a) the hotel is almost opposite the friends I was visiting and (b) I was only charged £46, which was £10 less than I was quoted by the agency."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of January 2006

One of the best reasonably priced hotels in Brighton & Hove

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Imperial is actually in Hove, just outside Brighton. Unlike most places actually in Brighton they will let you stay for a single night at the weekend, which is great if you just want to go night clubbing. Excellent staff, clean and well-appointed rooms (though my friend got a room with no view, my room was excellent). Parking is a problem in Brighton and this part of Hove so I always take the train. You can however park for free in Hove if you go a bit further from the Brighton side and don't mind a walk. I've stayed in quite a few hotels and B&B's in Brighton and this is by far my favorite."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of September 2005

Hotels near Imperial

Top traveller tips for Imperial

• Chummy Mummy by Chummy Mummy

"The staff at The Imperial are lovely, very helpful. The £4 parking tokens are amazing value, "

• Happy Couple by Happy Couple

"look at the bigger picture! "

Imperial is also called