Warning for disabled people

Reviewed Tue 26th of May 2015

"Stayed here for 5 days with a coach package holiday. The holiday brochure is misleading for disabled people as it states lifts to all floors carefully omitting the fact that there are still stairs to negotiate. Some of the doorways in the halls are to narrow to take a wheelchair or even a walking frame. I had to manage to get through these by trying to hold on to door handles and frames. The picture of the hotel has been stretched to make it look like narrow steps, there are at least double the amount also. Food was good and tasty, good choices. Waiters were very good. It was noticed by myself and a few other holiday makers that 2 young kitchen helpers were getting a dressing down by management while plates were being cleared. Poor policy there! We had to make do with a double bed room although we ordered a twin as the twin was impossible to get to as there were too many stairs for my disabled husband. Found most of the staff not at all friendly. Apart from food it wasn't a good holiday for accommodation."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of May 2015

staff need to do a course on greet people

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"Staff not friendly..

Room - smokers are allowed to smoke in certain rooms. We do have a smoking ban. Not professional. Room carpet was dirty. Could not put heater on due to cutains resting on heater. Very small room.
Weymouth is lovely, best to choose another hotel.
Anne-Marie Darby"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of June 2009

Good Location to the beach, shops and buses

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a 5 day break from Weymouth and enjoyed our visit very much. I have never been to Weymouth before and will return to explore more.

We stayed at Fairhaven Hotel and were very lucky to have a sea view room. My only complaint about the room the wardrobe and dressing table looked very very tired and in need of upgrade. The bed was so comfortable and en-suite modern. One tip take soap, shower gel and shampoo with you shampoo and shower gel not supplied. Thank goodness shops were just around the corner.

All the staff were friendly especially the waiters. They were on the ball but maybe on the odd times we felt that we were being rushed to finish our food and the same with the cleaners they wanted to make our beds before we had gone down for breakfast!
Evening meals are very tasty and provided you like beans breakfast is very good too.

Would I stay there again, only if our tour went there. If I visited the area making my own arrangements maybe I would stay at the hotel again. It needs a lot of work doing it up, new windows to start with.

Although I have had a moan about the hotel I still had an enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of May 2009

Grannies Paradise

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The staff of the hotel seemed to be very polite even if there were some communication issues with the waiting staff. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and were happy to help with any issue you had. The cleaning staff, despite not seeing them in action always left the room looking brand new.
The room was a little basic, a 2-single room with en-suite facilities ( which was bigger than the bedroom its self). The Tea/Coffee making facilities were a little pointless as the room is unbearable to spend any useful time in.
The water-front location is very enjoyable and within walking distance of the towns harbour. For the tourist locations such as 'Durdle Door' you will need a bus but these are regular from a bus stop just yards from the hotel.
Best of all, i enjoyed the friendly atmosphere, and leat of all, i disliked the tiring rooms."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of April 2009

rooms to small

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"we went to stay at the fairhaven in august 08 we were with a coach party from cheshire my only problem was the first room we were given was on the 3rd floor when i opened the door the bed was in front of it the television hung from the ceiling and there was a small window in the roof which looked out onto asbestos piping it was very claustrophobic.i went to reception the older lady on the desk was very frosty and said we would have to put up with it but i said i would go home so she said we could move rooms the next day
we did and the room was on the second floor but it was still to small for two people it was awful
but apart from that we had a great time the food was excellent the waiter was spanish but had a great sense of humour
and the entertainment was good we would go back again but pay extra for a sea view room.beware if you don't pay extra you'll end up in the attic."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

location,location,location

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"have stayed at fairhaven many times,it is right on the seafront,it has parking,the breakfasts are good,slept well.This last time we had a room overlooking the sea,slightly noisy friday and saturday
night but nothing major,room was very clean,staff friendly,seemed to be lots of very elderly people(two coach trips)staying,but they were all very friendly,nice atmosphere,would stay there again"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of June 2008

Not bad..

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I went with my school as a group and for the amount we paid was very good value.
It wasn't as awful as the previous reviews make it sound.
There were people outside our room (we had a sea view) that made noise but we poured water out the window and they moved away. There was also another group there from University and they were very loud and inconsiderate of us so a room mate of mine frequently opened the door and told them to shut up.
The floors with rooms are a bit like a maze and there are so many rooms!
The food was worthy of its 2 star rating - it wasn't amazing but it was edible. I personally enjoyed the breakfast much more, it was very tasty. The waiters were extremely friendly as were the reception and housekeeping staff.
The only thing i could say i would have said they needed to improve was the fact that the windows weren't double glazed, so wind came into the room and there was a terrible draft, bringing with it sand which sat on the windowsil. The windows were also not of amazing quality and didn't stay open, we had to prop the open with a bottle of coke.
My other problem was that the covers that the hotel provides were awful, every night i had a thin sheet like what you would expect on the bottom of the bed to cover the mattress over me and had to sleep in a jumper and tracksuit bottoms to avoid freezing to death. They do provide a blanket, but it is VERY uncomfortable and is extremely scratchy, but i was so cold i HAD to use it.

Advice for anyone who is going there: take your own bed covers.

All in all, good value for money.

Would advise this hotel for: School and Uni groups ."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of April 2008

Awful.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Bad area, late at night you will hear the drug addicts and drunks roaming the streets by the hotel, usually beating the homeless. The church bell goes off every hour at and after 12 o clock at night, that's if the sparks from the radiators don't have the same effect. The blankets will deifnitely irritate your skin. The waiters don't understand english apart from words on the menu, so saying "I don't want the beans" will confuse them, and in my case they went and got me the beans thinking I wanted them.

WARNING:

Only go to this hotel if you are only going to be there for sleeping, and even then, try to get somewhere better, if not just for the beds."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2008

Annoyed and feel let down

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We have just come back from weymouth but i feel as though we need another holiday. This Hotel is shared with other hotels. Its in a noisey area loads of nightclubs in the area kept us awake till 5am no no sleep for 4 nights. Never again August 2003 we stayed at the rembrandt Hotel although not in town a better choice."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

Clean but shabby

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The rooms were clean & comfortable but somewhat on the small side & rather shabby. Entertainment very amateur, ie mediocre singers with backing tapes way too loud. Food good and the portions were more than adequate, staff friendly & pleasant. My main complaint was with the over use of airconditioning in the dining room so much so I asked for the one near us to be turned off every dinner time as trying to eat with freezing cold air blasting down my back is not at all pleasant.
Would I stay again, Im afraid not. I thought the price (over £300 for a single room) too much for the amenities offered."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of July 2006

son at uni in halls on tour 3

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Having spent 2 nights at this hotel, i found it clean and tidy but at best, describe it suitable for the older generation, who seemed to really enjoy the entertainment and surroundings provided. Having only sampled breakfast, portion control was clearly in operation and served on what could only be described as a tea plate barely enough for people with larger appetites. Found staff helpful and pleasant throughout the short stay"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of July 2005

Hotels near The Fairhaven Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Fairhaven Hotel

• Brenda C by Brenda C

"Be honest about the fact that it is not suitable for wheelchair users "

The Fairhaven Hotel is also called