Double Bedroom

Crown is OK

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We have just spent a very pleasent weekend at the crown. Staff are great, food ok, bedroom cosy. A nice warm atmosphere. No problem."

• Travel date: 14th February 2006

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"was`nt looking for the hilton just something cheap and chearful and that is exactly what i got . the staff were very friendly on the whole and the sleeping acomodation was very adequate . also a bonus was the garage to leave my car at night knowing it would be reasonably safe . the food was well presented and although the portions may have been a bit small for some i for one think quality is better than quantity . the bar area was a bit on the gloomy side could have done with some light background music . but all in all very good value for the money . i only stayed a couple of nights and was well pleased ."

• Travel date: 17th January 2006

Not a bad hotel, just not the best.

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"This is not a bad hotel, it just gives the impression of being so much more. The central location is ideal for my visits. As is the secure car parking, for which i have never had any problems. I find the staff pleasent and helpfull, and the bar welcoming! The rooms in terms of size and decor/furniture can be a bit of a lottery, but are always very clean and comfortable. It is true that the hotel caters more for the elderly coach party market, but they too can be great fun! Plus, this means that entertainment is provided nightly. The one area that the hotel fails miserably is the breakfast. Oh dear, one barely cooked cheap bacon rasher, one egg, one cheap sausage, and one tinned tomato!! Even the staff try and fill the gaps with extra tea and toast but it really is poor."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2005

My garden shed is bigger than this

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"To be fair to The Crown, upon my arrival at the hotel a stink of cabbage was not the first thing i noticed. For me, the stench of death far outweighed any aroma of vegetables. My ensuite room was clean and compact and compared favourably with the nearby prison i had recently vacated. The "Full English Breakfast" was 1 of a kind. In fact it consisted of 1 sausage, 1 tomato, 1 egg and 1 piece of bacon. The hotel have recently employed a Sioux indian tracker to locate the car park, 3 months on and still no joy."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2005

Geared towards the older guest but more than acceptable

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Crown for one night in June 04. Yes, this hotel is geared towards the older guest. At the age of 40 we were probably the 'children' in the bunch. However, I appreciate that one day I too will be old and would like to think that the 'young and more agile' would have the patience not to grumble or moan at the 25 minute wait that we had whilst a bus full of elderly and disabled guests booked in. I knew we had chosen the secure parking which is, as stated a bit away from the Hotel, but is VERY secure. We didnt have a great deal of trouble pressing the button to open the automatic garage door! We took ourselves off to the bar and sampled the cointreau and JD whilst killing time! The room was small and clean, bit on the basic side but the location of the hotel is what you are paying for here, its very central. Staff were friendly and obliging. Breakfast was acceptable, nothing to moan about, again geared towards the more mature guest, not a huge portion, but then we didnt pay a huge price. With parking in Weymouth being as it is...the hotel was the best option to us at the time. If you want a lively hotel this is not it, we didnt need one, we just needed a rest for the night and meet some friends down there and we're pretty easygoing people anyway."

• Travel date: 15th March 2005

You'll love it (if you like cabbage and you're over 80)

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"The whole hotel stinks like cabbage. Deal with it. Everyone else does. But then - everyone else is over 80, so they probably enjoy it. The service is rubbish. After sitting with all the oldies at 8.30 on the morning of our first breakfast (breakfast is only available from 8.30 - 9.30), we decided to arrive a bit later for our brekkie on the second day. Since there were only about 4 other people in the restaurant, I asked to be moved to a larger table (our 'assigned' table was large enough for a large child). This seemed to be a problem (despite about 40 empty tables in the restautant). The waitress eventually moved me to a table that someone had just vacated, so that they didn't need to bother with clearing another table. As we sat there waiting to order, I heard one of the waiters (the head waiter, i think), comment: "I hope they don't think they're going to sit there everyday." How Rude. get over it, I say! Anyway - the room was distinctly less than average, and worth no where near the over-priced off-season price we paid. The heater was turned off every day, so we returned to a cold room at night. The window wouldn't close, so we had cold air coming in every night. The maid started cleaning the other rooms in the hall ouside our room around 8.30 in the morning (a Saturday), and brought a stereo system which played loudly outside our room while we tried to relax. The bathroom had a bath, but no where to hang the shower hose to stand up for a shower. Quaint when it's at grandma's, but not at a hotel. The fittings are cheap and 20 years old. Definitely don't plan on a romantic weekend at the Crown! Finally, when we went to check out it took us 20 minutes to get into the car park, as the hotel a) had no idea where they'd parked our car, b) didn't know how to get into the car park, and c) once identifying the car park expected me to unlock the carpark, open the garage doors, remove car, close doors, and then return the keys back to the front door (at front of hotel, when car park was around the back). i give up. This hotel is rubbish. The location is great, but that's just about the only thing it has going for it."

• Travel date: 9th November 2004